Pokemon Go: A new Societal Low

Gas2No99

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Lily said:

For me, it's been a good thing. I never played the other games of pokemon, but this one is getting me outside, getting exercise, meeting new people, and spending time with my kids. What's bad in that?

Couldn't you do all of that without blindly walking around with your phone in your face?

7 hours ago, Lily said:

For me, it's been a good thing. I never played the other games of pokemon, but this one is getting me outside, getting exercise, meeting new people, and spending time with my kids. What's bad in that?

You need a video game on a mobile phone to go outside, walk around, and interact with both people AND with your family?!?!? That's sounds like GROUND-BREAKING stuff right there. 

Are we that encapsulated in these "virtual worlds" (I'm aware of the irony as I type this on a Fan internet Forum - a virtual bar to shoot the sh!t) that we lose sight that you don't need technology to do these things?

Thank you for making my point. 

17 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

It's pathetic. And I GUARANTEE, experience in this city as my basis, that there's going to be a surge in the "Knockout" game that will primarily target these Pokemon idiots. 

Sad, but Natural Selection is HARSH.

I don't know all the legals involved, but I bet this game disappears pretty quickly.  These incidents are all happening within a week of the game appearing and I only imagine it gets worse.  Whether people win or not, the lawsuits will follow when pokemon causing more and more accidents, more public disturbances, and are showing up in dangerous neighborhoods late at night.  A kid's gonna get killed soon enough.

9 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

You need a video game on a mobile phone to go outside, walk around, and interact with both people AND with your family?!?!? That's sounds like GROUND-BREAKING stuff right there. 

Are we that encapsulated in these "virtual worlds" (I'm aware of the irony as I type this on a Fan internet Forum - a virtual bar to shoot the sh!t) that we lose sight that you don't need technology to do these things?

Thank you for making my point. 

Not everyone is like you, dude.  To each his own.  I would never be caught dead playing that game...but so what if others like it?  Lily and her family play it.  It brings them together and gets them outside.  Maybe they're not a family that played sports or did outdoorsy stuff.  That's life.  Some people arent wired that way.  If this provides them an opportunity to get outside their comfort zone and do things they wouldnt normally do and they're enjoying, good for them. 

You and I might look at like it's stupid but whatever, who cares.  I have 40k+ posts on a internet message board.  I dont have facebook, tweeter, instantgram (which have literally ruined lives) and all that other stupid sh*t people spend a ridiculous amount of time doing...but how can I judge them?  I talk to strangers on the internet all day.  Whatever floats your boat. 

On 7/13/2016 at 10:58 AM, faba said:

Get off the video games and start taking to one another-there I said it.

Well, people are talking to each other with this game. People are meeting people that they normally wouldn't at the poke stops. I agree, some people are crazy and obsessive and need to tame it down. 

18 hours ago, Lily said:

I play it too. There is nothing wrong with it. As long as you are smart and don't play while you are driving or break into people's yards, or wind up in the ghetto at 3 am, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I walk around the park with or without the game, but now I get my neighbor to come out with me and we end up going on 3+ mile walks. We talk, only look at our phones if they vibrate to show a pokemon and walk around. So now I get a social walk, instead of just sticking in earbuds and ignoring the rest of the population. 

I play it and enjoy it.  I have read some positive stories as a result of it.  If it gets people active, thats awesome; of course there are going to be some derps doing stupid things with it.  Thats on them.

The overall concept is awesome but the App will needs updates.  I do like how it teaches kids how to use maps and the fact that kids get to interact with others.  Wish we could modify it so anyone could place different Pokemon at different locations and have the players utilize the compass.    

12 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

Couldn't you do all of that without blindly walking around with your phone in your face?

You obviously don't have kids. There needs to be a catalyst for them to spend time with Mom. 

7 minutes ago, Lily said:

You obviously don't have kids. There needs to be a catalyst for them to spend time with Mom. 

2 minutes ago, Lily said:

Actually, I was just being flippant. My kids and I do spend time together. We enjoy each other's company. This is just one more way to enjoy hanging out. 

Good on you and yours Lily!

You dont need to defend yourself.  

11 minutes ago, Lily said:

Actually, I was just being flippant. My kids and I do spend time together. We enjoy each other's company. This is just one more way to enjoy hanging out. 

I've been driving my adult kids around town as they collect Pokemons.  It's cool.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Not everyone is like you, dude.  To each his own.  I would never be caught dead playing that game...but so what if others like it?  Lily and her family play it.  It brings them together and gets them outside.  Maybe they're not a family that played sports or did outdoorsy stuff.  That's life.  Some people arent wired that way.  If this provides them an opportunity to get outside their comfort zone and do things they wouldnt normally do and they're enjoying, good for them. 

You and I might look at like it's stupid but whatever, who cares.  I have 40k+ posts on a internet message board.  I dont have facebook, tweeter, instantgram (which have literally ruined lives) and all that other stupid sh*t people spend a ridiculous amount of time doing...but how can I judge them?  I talk to strangers on the internet all day.  Whatever floats your boat. 

I wish I could follow you on instantgram.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Same here.  I find it creepy and weird as hell. But any excuse to spend time with family is a good one. Just be careful out there. That Pokemon life is dangerous yo.

1 hour ago, Jetscode1 said:

I've been driving my adult kids around town as they collect Pokemons.  It's cool.

See you are a responsible adult.  If more people used designated Pokemon drivers the world be a safer place.  I wonder how soon they will be setting up DWP check sights?  It's over do if you ask this fat man 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

See you are a responsible adult.  If more people used designated Pokemon drivers the world be a safer place.  I wonder how soon they will be setting up DWP check sights?  It's over do if you ask this fat man 

Already illegal here to use cell phone and drive.  They do need more check points.  I better post this on our police facebook page.

7 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Same here.  I find it creepy and weird as hell. But any excuse to spend time with family is a good one. Just be careful out there. That Pokemon life is dangerous yo.

Oh, its out there nerdsh*t that I will never understand.  But who cares?  They aint hurting no one.  Let me them chase around fictional creatures to locations determined by an app on their phone.  It doesnt bother me that they're not actually real and its all an imaginary scenario.  

I'm pretty sure on the scale of societal lows, this is now where near as low as the crazy sh*t we've been dealing with as a country lately.  

4 minutes ago, Jetscode1 said:

Already illegal here to use cell phone and drive.  They do need more check points.  I better post this on our police facebook page.

I was actually kidding but I guess you are right with the whole texting and driving thing.  We may see it one day!! 

Just now, JiF said:

Oh, its out there nerdsh*t that I will never understand.  But who cares?  They aint hurting no one.  Let me them chase around fictional creatures to locations determined by an app on their phone.  It doesnt bother me that they're not actually real and its all an imaginary scenario.  

I'm pretty sure on the scale of societal lows, this is now where near as low as the crazy sh*t we've been dealing with as a country lately.  

This.

Something else to consider...when I was a kid we collected sports card...Mom used to take us to the flea markets so we could find them...I see no difference with this current Pokemon craze...just another type of scavenger hunt and I like to hunt.

I grew up outside playing ball- I know an old fart can not get me to be interested in playing games on my phone With people not paying attention where they are going or what they are doing

8 minutes ago, JiF said:

I agree just odd to me.  A friend of mines 10 year old son was concerned with wifi availability at Busch Gardens in Williamsburgh this weekend because he wants to hunt Pokemon while he is there.  If I took the Crew Crushere and my kids had a concern like that?  I tell them, " leave your phones in the car and play!"  But that's just me.  

5 minutes ago, faba said:

I grew up outside playing ball- I know an old fart can not get me to be interested in playing games on my phone With people not paying attention where they are going or what they are doing

Did you also walk 7 miles up hill in the winter to school with nothing more than a hot bake potato to keep you hands warm and later eat for lunch?  Mm mm lunch.

Archived