Was Geno the Jets Plan All Along?

JetBlue

script>ESPN NY's Don LaGreca seems to think so.   I know a whole bunch of folks will disagree with this; I just hope that, if it turns out to be true, we don't have an overload on the suicide hotline. There is going to be a whole lot of wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth.  :lol:

Sorry I wasn't able embed the video so click on the link. 

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:17047619

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll say this......if this is in fact the truth and Geno pans out playing well this season, our FO has to be one of the smartest in the league. If it doesn't pan out they will feel the heat, but at the same time they will have their Hackenburg card to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, no psls said:

If Geno was the plan all along , GM Mike should be run out of town immediately .

So you can't give him the benefit of the doubt based on everything else he has done the last few seasons because of the dreaded Geno... lol.  Don't worry it is mere speculation anyway. 

We are not winning the Superbowl with Fitz or Geno. Fitz might bring one or two extra wins but I really don't care at this point. I prefer to trust Bowles and Mac who know football way more than me. I am cool with whatever they decide. 

If Don is correct:

1. Some of us here should sue him for plagiarism.  We've been saying it for months.
  2. I will have more confidence in this organization than I ever have.  Not saying we'd win it all this year; instead that we have great decision makers who can not only judge talent correctly, but know how to play the PR game well.  Great times will be ahead of us.
  3. I'll go out on a limb and say we will be a playoff team this season.
  4. Geno will get an extension. 
  5. Geno will also be the Fantasy QB sleeper of the season.

5 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

We are not winning the Superbowl with Fitz or Geno. Fitz might bring one or two extra wins but I really don't care at this point. I prefer to trust Bowles and Mac who know football way more than me. I am cool with whatever they decide. 

What's funny about this is that the majority of people around here don't think that this is even a playoff team and that they will win at most six to eight games. So why not see what Geno can do and see if he has indeed improved and matured? If they're only going to win 6-8 games there is zero risk in doing this. People are constantly complaining around here that the Jets don't develop their own players and give up too early on their draft picks. Here's a perfect situation to see if Geno has developed.

I don't think Geno was the plan as much as Geno was definitely not the plan, either. I do not believe Fitzpatrick was brought in to seriously compete for the starter role. My thought is that the plan was for Gailey and Fitzpatrick to develop a young QB for the team. If Geno was that guy, great. If not then he could be a cheap bridge to finding and developing the future. 

43 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Sorry but that is NOT acceptable! Choose a side Gosh Darn it! Its Geno Season.... Fitz Season.... Geno Season..... Fitz... !  :lol:

33 minutes ago, billo83 said:

What's funny about this is that the majority of people around here don't think that this is even a playoff team and that they will win at most six to eight games. So why not see what Geno can do and see if he has indeed improved and matured? If they're only going to win 6-8 games there is zero risk in doing this. People are constantly complaining around here that the Jets don't develop their own players and give up too early on their draft picks. Here's a perfect situation to see if Geno has developed.

We can't have well reasoned posts on this forum.  You have been warned...

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

drafting Petty and Hack and signing Fitz before last season all point to a front office that has zero faith in Geno Smith. So far, they've basically done everything they can to avoid this outcome. 

Not really.  Fitz was signed as a back up; Petty was a drafted as project qb and to a lesser degree so was Hack although his upside is much higher.  Geno was inherited by this regime and they were prepared to see what he could do with an improved offensive attack but alas they never got to see it as a result of the "Punch".   A year later, and season of watching from the sidelines, he finds himself in a similar position.  He is going into training camp as the starter.  

1 hour ago, drdetroit said:

The Coaching staff knows the difference between Geno and Fitz is notwhere near as big as most fans and the media swear it is.

You're entitled to an opinion, but not your own facts.  Post a single source supporting this nonsense and I  will apologize.  Otherwise you should.

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

Not really.  Fitz was signed as a back up; Petty was a drafted as project qb and to a lesser degree so was Hack although his upside is much higher.   

Petty was sort of a throw away pick but Hack in rd 2 wasn't. You don't take a position in rd 2 if its not a problem. 

1 minute ago, Big Blocker said:

You're entitled to an opinion, but not your own facts.  Post a single source supporting this nonsense and I  will apologize.  Otherwise you should.

Why should he apologize?  Fitz is a journeyman quarterback who has been on what 6 or 7 teams and until last year never won more than 6 games.  Do you really think he is head and shoulders better than Geno?  Based on what exactly?  

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

drafting Petty and Hack and signing Fitz before last season all point to a front office that has zero faith in Geno Smith. So far, they've basically done everything they can to avoid this outcome. 

Speculation along the lines referred to by the OP would not exist if Fitz was under contract.  So does that mean the fact that he is not supports a CT that they really want Smith?

Part of the problem in answering that is that people tend to think the FO proceeds with all its decisions in a rational manner.  But we have seen plenty of screw ups by them over the years.  So it is entirely possible the FO is not doing everything in a rational manner here.  Yet the facts you point to hardly indicate faith in Smith, and cannot jibe with a notion that the FO prefers Smith over any reasonable alternative.

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Petty was sort of a throw away pick but Hack in rd 2 wasn't. You don't take a position in rd 2 if its not a problem. 

I get that but he is on the team nevertheless and throwaway pick or not; he could still develop into a decent quarterback, maybe even more than that if a team is patient enough with him.  Geno has one year left on his contract, you take a quarterback because you need a quarterback just in case you decide not to re-sign Smih and also if you really like the player, which they did, so it made perfect sense to draft Hackenberg.

6 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Fact #1:  It's mid-July.

Fact #2:  Fitz is unemployed.

Fitz is smart and experienced but doesn't have the abilities of a young QB. Has a noodle arm. He was good last year because he had weapons Geno never had. Smith should be more mature, has young legs and a good arm. The question is does he have a QB head to make good decisions. Looks like we may find out. Personally I think Fit will cave and sign but he doesn't deserve anymore money than what's on the table.

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

No he gave his opinion; just like you gave yours. 

Nonsense.  Nothing about your message board ally's post indicates it was an opinion.  Nothing of course other than the FACT that it is not based on facts, but that is something not indicated by his post.

Archived