Bowles: "McLendon is showing a lot more quickness than we thought he had"

Maxman

I was pretty pumped to see this quote from Bowles today. Can't wait to see in actual games. This line is going to be sick!

On how Steve McLendon is fitting in on the defensive line…

I think he’s fitting in pretty good. He’s been in a 3-4 his whole career since he has been in Pittsburgh, so coming over here was an easy transition for him. I think he’s showing a lot more quickness than we thought he had going in there. He’s a leader in the classroom and on the field and I think he fits with the guys well.

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

I was pretty pumped to see this quote from Bowles today. Can't wait to see in actual games. This line is going to be sick!

This is what I was hoping for. Sounds like he's quick enough to get in gaps & be a big PITA. Olines will have a lot to deal with & with our depth it should be relentless with Bowles having more speed at LB. Add in a few corner blitzes (Skrine), and safety blitzes, (Pryor), and LB blitzes (Lee & Mauldin), getting ready for the Jets defense won't be easy if a team has any weakness on their Oline.

26 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This is what I was hoping for. Sounds like he's quick enough to get in gaps & be a big PITA. Olines will have a lot to deal with & with our depth it should be relentless with Bowles having more speed at LB. Add in a few corner blitzes (Skrine), and safety blitzes, (Pryor), and LB blitzes (Lee & Mauldin), getting ready for the Jets defense won't be easy if a team has any weakness on their Oline.

And with the way the game is going, fewer teams are really building those truly elite O lines ... most are trying to save cap $$$ to spend elsewhere.

54 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Several of the reporters commenting on camp said they didn't see much of a difference on the field between McClendon and Snacks...

Yeah the DL has the potential to be even better this year what with SR out only one game instead of 4, Williams no longer a rookie, and Snacks not really missed.

The Jets talented Dline is probably one of the reasons McClendon signed here. Imagine your being courted with a similar contract elsewhere. 

You look at the Jets & your playing alongside Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson & Leonard Willams! A pro bowler, a one time DROTY, the leader in snaps for all defensive rookies with a huge upside. Hmm, no more doubles inside. All 3 other guys will get more attention than McClendon. He knows damn well he has a chance to excel here. Like Damon, our big three make it much easier to on you when the opposing team has 3 beasts to worry about.

On August 4, 2016 at 10:27 PM, Maxman said:

Edited for wrong quote on my end ... Agree with this sentiment though!

12 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Mclendon is DT 3 technique, right?  

I know we're "multiple" but our talent really lends itself to running a significant amount of 4-3.

Mo - Sheldon - Mclendon - Leonard

I'm real curious to see how much of ... As well as down & distance of ... each combo of those guys gets as the games get real

Archived