Mehta: Fitz reacts to poor QB ranking

AFJF

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I think his completion % can come up a lot this year.   He makes a lot of his throws to his WR, which are lower % throws.  He had virtually no TE to throw to, and not a ton to the running backs.   Those short ones are what really get your % up there.  Forte and (please... please) Amaro + a improved Enuwa will help him a lot.

With our D, if you can get a QB to complete 60+ percent, and have a better than 2 - 1 TD to interception ratio, we should have a real good team.

i agree.  having amaro and perhaps even jalin marshall for short throws, in addition to using powell from the start rather than ivory, could really help him.  

1 minute ago, peebag said:

we're really having this argument -

who's better Mark Sanchez or Ryan Fitzpatrick?

It really sucks being a Jet fan.....

Why? Ryan gave us an extraordinaire season last year. Best thing since Joe Namath for sure. If the defense and offense didn't play sloppy in the Buffalo game, Fitz would have led to back 2 back SB wins.

1 minute ago, NYPaperAirplanes said:

Why? Ryan gave us an extraordinaire season last year. Best thing since Joe Namath for sure. If the defense and offense didn't play sloppy in the Buffalo game, Fitz would have led to back 2 back SB wins.

Do you live in Colorado or Washington?

10 minutes ago, peebag said:

we're really having this argument -

who's better Mark Sanchez or Ryan Fitzpatrick?

It really sucks being a Jet fan.....

No, it sucks being those Jets fans. I'm good. I'm ******* awesome, in fact.

2 minutes ago, NYPaperAirplanes said:

Neither. Can we go back to talking about Fitzmagic? Screw the Nfl for giving him the 25th ranking of QB's. This is the making of a legacy and NFL is dissing my homeboy.  Marshall said it himself. "Fitz is elite"

IF YOU CAN"T TALK ABOUT HTAT THO LEAVE NOW THEN!!! 

22 minutes ago, NYPaperAirplanes said:

^^^ Snark like this is when you know the hate has officially gone too far.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has officially become underrated by a large contingent of Jets fans. 

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

^^^ Snark like this is when you know the hate has officially gone too far.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has officially become underrated by a large contingent of Jets fans. 

What? I was just joking, but that doesn't mean I hate him and think he sucks. I want him to succeed because he's a good guy. I just wanted to poke fun.

44 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

isn't it amazing how supposed Jet fans can bash a guy that was carried to 2 title games and back a guy that set our franchise record for TD's and almost set a record for passing yards but couldn't even get us to the playoffs because the entire team sh*t the bed in the final week vs. Rex "My Super Bowl" Ryan?

fyp, Sanchez was the 2nd worst starting QB to wear Jets Green in 20 years.

36 minutes ago, chirorob said:

I think his completion % can come up a lot this year.   He makes a lot of his throws to his WR, which are lower % throws.  He had virtually no TE to throw to, and not a ton to the running backs.   Those short ones are what really get your % up there.  Forte and (please... please) Amaro + a improved Enuwa will help him a lot.

With our D, if you can get a QB to complete 60+ percent, and have a better than 2 - 1 TD to interception ratio, we should have a real good team.

I hope you're right, but I'm very skeptical. 

The Jets played weak defenses last year, and that enabled Fitz to completely rely on Decker and Marshall, who consistently made great catches out of bad throws. Better defenses will take those two away much more often. Only throwing to two guys, Fitz could rely entirely on his pre-snap reads. Better defenses will be able to disguise their coverages better, or simply cover better, and force him to go thru progessions he didn't have to last year. More targets is great, but what Fitz did best last year was get the ball out very fast. That best attribute gets lost if he's trying to get to his third and fourth reads. 

The addition of Forte should enable him to get over the 60% hump - you'd hope. Will also hopefully cut down on his potentially dangerous runs. But whatever his TD:int ratio is, he needs to cut back on the one interception per game rate. 

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

LOL.  Whats Geno, #5?  ROFLMAO!

1. Namath

2. Chad

3. Vinny

4. Sanchez

5. O'Brien

6. Todd

7. Ryan

not sure where geno would eventually show up but it would be closer to the bottom.

3 minutes ago, NYPaperAirplanes said:

But he regressed. He should of done better in 2011 and 2012.

he did regress but look at what he had?  in 2011 3 of his top 5 weapons entering the season were out of football in 2012 and we had the Holmes issue.  In 2012 he had the worst talent in the league to throw to after Holmes got hurt early and keller was hurt most of the year.  Hard not to regress w/ that.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

he did regress but look at what he had?  in 2011 3 of his top 5 weapons entering the season were out of football in 2012 and we had the Holmes issue.  In 2012 he had the worst talent in the league to throw to after Holmes got hurt early and keller was hurt most of the year.  Hard not to regress w/ that.

True. We'll see how he fares with the good Broncos.

If it makes him a better QB, that's awesome.  Hope it drives him to success.

But he's gotta realize even many of us Jet fans realize 25th is a pretty accurate assessment.

You could make arguments for higher and lower.  But mid 20s is probably about right.  (As long as it's not windy or the playoffs aren't on the line.)

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

But he's gotta realize even many of us Jet fans realize 25th is a pretty accurate assessment.

You could make arguments for higher and lower.  But mid 20s is probably about right.  (As long as it's not windy or the playoffs aren't on the line.)

It's amazing that he scoffs at the ranking as if it's some kind of joke.  This isn't exactly Klecko getting snubbed from the HOF.

It's is a journeyman QB being placed in the bottom rung of NFL QB's which is exactly where he belongs. 

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

i just hope he's not getting carried away b/c of last season.  

He's just changing the goalposts. A bottom 10 starter is 90th percentile compared to backups, but still bottom percentile relative to actual starters, which is what matters when we talk of winning games, playoffs and championships. 

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

It's amazing that he scoffs at the ranking as if it's some kind of joke.  This isn't exactly Klecko getting snubbed from the HOF.

It's is a journeyman QB being placed in the bottom rung of NFL QB's which is exactly where he belongs. 

I agree that he comes across as snarky and dismissive but in fairness that's the kind of attitude he needs to go into the season with. he needs to play with irrational confidence otherwise the jets are screwed 

31 minutes ago, slats said:

I hope you're right, but I'm very skeptical. 

The Jets played weak defenses last year, and that enabled Fitz to completely rely on Decker and Marshall, who consistently made great catches out of bad throws. Better defenses will take those two away much more often. Only throwing to two guys, Fitz could rely entirely on his pre-snap reads. Better defenses will be able to disguise their coverages better, or simply cover better, and force him to go thru progessions he didn't have to last year. More targets is great, but what Fitz did best last year was get the ball out very fast. That best attribute gets lost if he's trying to get to his third and fourth reads. 

The addition of Forte should enable him to get over the 60% hump - you'd hope. Will also hopefully cut down on his potentially dangerous runs. But whatever his TD:int ratio is, he needs to cut back on the one interception per game rate. 

In addition to Forte/Powell and hopefully Amaro and Enunwa are giving Fitz some easier looks and not solely relying on the WR's.  I'm also hoping that the lack of a deep threat can help with his completion percentage.  I know the old saying, you need someone to take the top off, but you really dont.  Not in this offense. Not with Fitz.  Just look at the Pats high powered offense predicated on the short passing game.  I cant even count how many times on 3rd down Fitz would just throw the go route to Smith.  It was like ******* deja vu out there each game, each 3rd down....lets throw the go route that hasnt been completed all season long!!!!  It used to drive me crazy.

What's most important, is Fitz needs the run game to be potent.  There were only a few games that Fitz was able to perform well despite no running game.  And Week 17 was a perfect example of what he looks like with zero run support...and It aint good.  I think those factors can help with his accuracy. 

Just now, cant wait said:

I agree that he comes across as snarky and dismissive but in fairness that's the kind of attitude he needs to go into the season with. he needs to play with irrational confidence otherwise the jets are screwed 

Can "irrational confidence" fit on a t-shirt?

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

In addition to Forte/Powell and hopefully Amaro and Enunwa are giving Fitz some easier looks and not solely relying on the WR's.  I'm also hoping that the lack of a deep threat can help with his completion percentage.  I know the old saying, you need someone to take the top off, but you really dont.  Not in this offense. Not with Fitz.  Just look at the Pats high powered offense predicated on the short passing game.  I cant even count how many times on 3rd down Fitz would just throw the go route to Smith.  It was like ******* deja vu out there each game, each 3rd down....lets throw the go route that hasnt been completed all season long!!!!  It used to drive me crazy.

What's most important, is Fitz needs the run game to be potent.  There were only a few games that Fitz was able to perform well despite no running game.  And Week 17 was a perfect example of what he looks like with zero run support...and It aint good.  I think those factors can help with his accuracy. 

I think you need a deep threat to take the top off unless your QB is Brady but maybe Forte or Amaro can ameliorate this problem, we'll see. 

Also there isn't always a good run game against good defenses. That's just the nature of playing at a high level. Franchise QBs who lead teams ti playoffs and championships can win games without a run game. So this excuse for Fitz isn't a good one imho.

Archived