Bowles: Jets have “A lot” of Trade Talks Going on

JetNation

Jace Amaro

By Glenn Naughton

According to Kimberly Martin of Newsday, Jets head coach Todd Bowles says the Jets are involved in “a lot” of trade talks as the deadline for final roster cut-downs to 53 approaches.

While major trades between teams are a rare NFL occurrence, it’s not uncommon for a team to part ways with a player for a late-round draft pick to add depth at a position of need before final cuts.

The Jets do have a few players who may have some value in any late-round swaps or another bottom of the roster player.  Here are a few to keep an eye on.

QB Geno Smith- There were rumors earlier this week that the Jets were receiving calls regarding Smith’s availability, but no word on what the Jets were expecting in return or what clubs were offering, if anything at all.

TE Jace Amaro- Amaro looked good early on in training camp but that hasn’t translated in to games.  The tight end has dropped several passes in the preseason and coughed up a costly fumble in last nights preseason finale, possibly sealing his fate with the Jets.  A team intrigued with the skill set of the former second-round pick may be willing to fork over a late-rounder to see if they can get him trending in the right direction.

ILB’s Bruce Carter and Taiwan Jones- With David Harris and Erin Henderson set to start for the Jets at inside linebacker, they have a glut of options to back the pair up.  First of course would be first-round draft pick Darron Lee, with Bruce Carter and Jones behind him. Carter is a solid pro who has had himself a good preseason with the Jets, while second-year player Taiwan Jones was the best player on the Jets defense last night.  Jones would be a candidate to be poached by another club if Gang Green wanted to carry him on their practice squad as they did last season, but  a team with a need for some depth at ILB might want to give the Jets a call.

RG Brian Winters- Owner of 28 career starts, Winters enters the final season of his rookie deal as a solid but unspectacular player.  With fellow guard Craig Watts quietly enjoying a solid camp, Winters could be expendable for a team in need of an experienced interior lineman.

OLB Trevor Reilly- Reilly had the Jets’ lone sack against the Eagles, but has garnered very little playing time this pre-season and was truly under-utilized in 2015 as well.  A special teams standout who sits firmly on the bubble with other, younger linebackers making a strong push, Reilly wouldn’t likely fetch any more than a conditional 7th round choice.

When all is said and done, we may not see any deals at all, but there’s no denying that for the first time in years, the Jets could be looking at the possibility of parting ways with legitimate NFL-level talent thanks to a roster that’s been well-built for the most part by GM Mike Maccagnan who will be a busy man over the next 24 hours while the Jets get their roster down from 75 to 53.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
kW8VqRq5hL4

Click here to read the full story...

If another team would bit on Taiwon Jones because of his stat line last night, that'd be great. He can't cover. We don't really need him.... Find a team that is installing a 3-4 this season that needs the ILB. 

I don't see us having the luxury of trading Winters. We need to get better on OL, we need him, unfortunately.

Bishop and Reilly are interesting trade chips too... just get us a RT and TE, please!

I think the only guys on that list that any team might possibly trade for are Geno or Carter.

Don't see anyone giving up resources for Amaro or Reilly. Or even for Jones, as much as I like him.

And as much as I don't like Winters, we should not trade him unless we get a linemen of equal or greater value. Or line depth is that bad that we can't afford to get rid of even Winters.

11 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I think the only guys on that list that any team might possibly trade for are Geno or Carter.

Don't see anyone giving up resources for Amaro or Reilly. Or even for Jones, as much as I like him.

And as much as I don't like Winters, we should not trade him unless we get a linemen of equal or greater value. Or line depth is that bad that we can't afford to get rid of even Winters.

I could see Amaro going to the niners for Chip Kelly as he would fit more in that kind of offense I think.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I could see Amaro going to the niners for Chip Kelly as he would fit more in that kind of offense I think.

Amaro doesn't strike me as a commodity worth trading resources for, even if it's just a conditional 7th. They could just wait until he's cut.

He's gotta be cut, right? Although our TEs are that atrocious.

14 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Amaro doesn't strike me as a commodity worth trading resources for, even if it's just a conditional 7th. They could just wait until he's cut.

Well the same reason you draft a guy rather than go after him as an udfa, he gets cut he can go to any team he wants.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

If another team would bit on Taiwon Jones because of his stat line last night, that'd be great. He can't cover. We don't really need him.... Find a team that is installing a 3-4 this season that needs the ILB. 

I don't see us having the luxury of trading Winters. We need to get better on OL, we need him, unfortunately.

Bishop and Reilly are interesting trade chips too... just get us a RT and TE, please!

All three of our RTs are better than Winters. Wish one of them could play inside

RG Brian Winters- Owner of 28 career starts, Winters enters the final season of his rookie deal as a solid but unspectacular player.  With fellow guard Craig Watts quietly enjoying a solid camp, Winters could be expendable for a team in need of an experienced interior lineman.

Here's my question......who the hell is Craig Watts???

I haven't been following training camp & the pre-season nearly as closely as some of you - but I like to think I have a pretty good handle on most of the players........what's the scoop with this Kat?

I've never heard this dudes name before until now.

Anybody have any info on this guy?

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I haven't been following training camp & the pre-season nearly as closely as some of you - but I like to think I have a pretty good handle on most of the players........what's the scoop with this Kat?

From the overwhelming response, I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't know who Craig Watts is.....LOL.

3 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Amaro would probably thrive on the Saints roster. I could see them offering us a 5th for him.

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I believe He went to the same college as RB K. Robinson. Started playing football late so he's late bloomer. I believed a couple of years ago he trained with LeCharles Bently ex NFL OL who has his own OL "training camp". Had a cup of coffee with Chargers, started a few games last yr or '14, I believe. IMO has a chance to stick. 

26 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

From the overwhelming response, I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't know who Craig Watts is.....LOL.

LeCharles Bentley: I do have a guy for you. His name is Craig Watts from West Texas A&M. He’s a sleeper who many folks haven’t heard of, but I think he is a top tier talent.

Matt Thornton: Interesting! What makes Craig special as a player in your mind?

LeCharles Bentley: Craig Watts is a guy who popped on my radar because the coach at Ohio Dominican is an old friend of mine. He called me and said he had just played a player in the playoffs at West Texas A&M who I needed to check out. So I watched the film and the first thing that popped out at me was that Craig is a big guy. He’s 6-foot-4 335 pounds and he can flat out run. The style of offense he was playing in at WT was not necessarily conducive to Craig’s strengths; he’s really a more power running type of athlete. But the fact that he was still able to excel told me that although he was a fish out of water, he was a really big fish, and once you put this player in the right position to be successful, he will thrive even more. So I met Craig, and the kid has an incredible football build, but he is also an elite level person too. He’s extremely coachable and the kid is one of the best offensive line athletes that I have ever been around. He’s a very lean athlete who’s got powerful, strong arms, all the physical gifts you would want from an offensive lineman. But Craig also brings some intangibles to the table too.  He has  a high work ethic and a switch that he can turn on which allows him to go to another level to get things done. I believe that switch comes from his military upbringing.

Matt Thornton:  If the kid is as elite as you say, then why did he end up at Division II in the Lone Star Conference?

LeCharles Bentley: He is a military brat who grew up in Germany and for most of his life he was a soccer player. He has great agility and I think that comes from his soccer days. Once his family moved to Texas, he realized that in Texas, at his size, you played football. He didn’t start playing football until his junior year in high school. Much of the recruiting now happens at the sophomore year, so he went under most school’s radars. He was a late bloomer, and that’s why I believe he didn’t end up at Texas A&M (in) College Station instead of WT. So, I think both the fact that he didn’t start playing football until late, and also he grew up internationally which gives athletes a different outlook and mindset, both contributed to his attending a small school.  The late start is a positive to me because he didn’t develop any bad habits which will allow him to be a better player at the NFL level.

Matt Thornton:  Do you believe Craig Watts is a better fit at left guard or right guard?

LeCharles Bentley: That’s a good question, and there’s a cool answer to that question. He’s ambidextrous! He played some center in college, and he can snap with both his left hand and his right hand. He can play both left guard and right guard. I believe he actually has the capability to be a swing tackle at some point in time in his career, but as far as it goes on the interior, it really allows him to excel at either side. Many guys have a hard time transitioning from right guard to left guard. It’s not as easy as some people think. The mechanics are different, the way you place your hands and your stance is different, but his ability allows him to make the transition easily.

Matt Thornton: Is Watts better suited in a zone blocking or man blocking scheme? New Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Scott Linehan’s base is the Coryell Offense with primarily power running between the tackles.  

LeCharles Bentley: He can play either, but I think Watts skill set is better suited for a downhill running power blocking scheme.  But he can adapt easily to either scheme because he’s such a complete player. In today’s game, it’s so important to get guys like Watts who are versatile and can block for guys like Marshawn Lynch in Seattle who run between the tackles, but can also support the edges runners too.

Matt Thornton:  Who do you compare Craig Watts to in the NFL today?

LeCharles Bentley: I’m going to say what my friend Montrae Holland says because I think he’s right; Watts is a lot like New Orleans Saints guard Jahri Evans. Montrae spent time with Jahri in New Orleans and he said their mental makeup is very similar, their frames are similar, their movement skills, they both have off-the-charts intangibles, long arms, high motors and they both went to Division II schools which I think makes them work harder. I saw the guard class this year at the Senior Bowl, and I think Craig is in the conversation as a top three guard in this year’s draft, without a doubt. If he would have gone to a bigger college, I think he would have been a top half of the draft projection.

Matt Thornton:  Can he make the transition and play at the speed of the NFL?  

LeCharles Bentley: Every player, even guys like me who played at Ohio State, we all struggle adapting to the speed of the National Football League. The bottom line is that if a kid from a small school has the skills, and has the intangibles, he will make the transition. Once the Division I and Division II guys are rookies in the NFL, everyone is at the same level. They’re all rookies! There are many guys who I have seen who were elite in college and can’t make the transition, then you have guys like Larry Allen for example who played at Division II and thrived in the NFL. Now, I’m not comparing Watts to Larry, but I’m just saying that if the guy has the skills to play, he is going to excel. I think he will not have any problem transitioning and adapting to the NFL game.

Further analysis on Craig Watts revealed that he earned first team all-conference player awards and was the 2013 Lone Star Conference offensive lineman of the year. He blocked for West Texas A&M quarterback Dustin Vaughn who was the only quarterback at any college level this year to pass for more than 5,000 yards (5,401) and his 53 touchdowns also led the nation.  According to NFL Draft Scout, Watts started all 14 games and in 691 pass attempts, he didn’t allow one sack. The fact that Watts grew up in Germany playing soccer, and didn’t pick up a football until his junior year in high school validates why he was far off of any college or professional scout’s radar.  I wrote in this article yesterday that I believe this is an immensely athletic offensive line draft class, and Craig Watts is another reason why I believe that to be the case.

Read more at http://cover32.com/2014/02/25/exclusive-former-pro-bowler-lecharles-bentley-reveals-sleeper-prospect-for-dallas-cowboys-in-draft/#f0uDudPuETCbRJMz.99

http://cover32.com/2014/02/25/exclusive-former-pro-bowler-lecharles-bentley-reveals-sleeper-prospect-for-dallas-cowboys-in-draft/

Craig Watts is an American football offensive guard for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He attended West Texas A&M where he was a four year letterman and twice named as a team captain during his junior and senior years. Watts acquired numerous accolades during his collegiate career, including Conference Offensive Lineman of the Year and First Team All-American.

Professional career

San Diego Chargers

After going undrafted in the 2014 NFL Draft, Watts was signed by the San Diego Chargers on May 22, 2014 following an impressive showing during the Chargers' Rookie Mini-Camp. On August 30, 2014, despite a productive pre-season, he was waived by the Chargers. On August 31, 2014, Watts was re-signed to the practice squad. On December 17, 2014, he was placed on the reserve/suspended list. On December 30, 2014, Watts was signed a future contract.

On September 21, 2015, Watts was waived by the Chargers. On September 25, 2015, he was signed to the practice squad. On November 9, 2015, he was elevated to the active roster. against the Chicago Bears. On November 10, 2015, Watts was once again waived. On November 12, 2015, he was re-signed to the Chargers' practice squad. On December 20, 2015, Watts was once again released from the team.[1]

New York Jets

Watts signed a reserve/future contract with the New York Jets on January 11, 2016.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Watts

IMO the #1 priority this weekend for Mccagnan is obtain a capable backup C. Johnson sucks and his snaps out of the gun were practically hitting the ground. 

So either via a waiver wire claim or trade Mr M needs to find an avg b/u C. We all know Mangold is on the back 9, heck back 4 and can get dinged up at his age. Jets O sucked when he was out last year. 

5 minutes ago, C Mart said:

IMO the #1 priority this weekend for Mccagnan is obtain a capable backup C. Johnson sucks and his snaps out of the gun were practically hitting the ground. 

So either via a waiver wire claim or trade Mr M needs to find an avg b/u C. We all know Mangold is on the back 9, heck back 4 and can get dinged up at his age. Jets O sucked when he was out last year. 

I hear you.

I'd wait and see who gets released before I'd trade for anybody.

But yes, that's something that definitely needs to be addressed along with sh!tcanning Giocamini.

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I believe we signed him in the offseason to a reserve contract; IIRC, he spent last year on SD practice squad

12 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Dalton Freeman was cut , is a reunion in the works ??

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

If Taiwan Jones is released , I could see the Raiders having an interest in him. They don't need a starter , but it would be nice to have Physical two down middle Lb .( for when they played the teams with the physical running  game.)  all there inside lb's are in 230 -235 area with speed to burn . 

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Aren't they extremely thin at C w/Nick Martin down for the season?  

I'm not one to discount a player just because he didn't pan out with another team, but.... 

He didn't pan out here either....LOL.

You don't remember how bad Dalton Freeman was when he played here??

The guy was getting tossed around like a rag doll.

Pass.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Sullivan got cut by Vikes. Can he play guard also?

Archived