Jordan Jenkins Misses Practice

JetNation

Quincy Enunwa has joined Brandon Marshall in becoming a key contributor as of late.

The season opener is a few days away so that means it is time for the first injury report. LB Jordan Jenkins did not practice on Wednesday (calf injury). Bryce Petty is still dealing with his shoulder issue, but he is # 3 on the depth chart right now. So he should have time to heal up. Otherwise (knock on wood) the injury report looks pretty good for the Jets.

Practice Report

Did Not Participate In Practice    
  Wednesday LB Jordan Jenkins (calf), QB Bryce Petty (right shoulder), CB Darryl Roberts (foot)

Limited Participation in Practice    
  Wednesday LB Bruce Carter (shoulder), LB David Harris (shoulder), WR Brandon Marshall (hip), DE Leonard Williams (hip)

Full Participation in Practice    
  Wednesday WR Quincy Enunwa (concussion), DT Steve McLendon (hand, toe), DE Muhammad Wilkerson (ankle)
Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
jvyJjN5mpz8

Click here to read the full story...

26 minutes ago, Nostradamus said:

He hasn't practiced since August 22nd.....there is absolutely zero chance a rookie who hasn't practiced in half a month gets the start Sunday.  Wouldn't be fair to him or the team.  

If he's the best option and he's healthy, who cares if he hasn't practiced? Obviously the second is a big if, but he's almost assuredly the best option already. 

51 minutes ago, Nostradamus said:

He hasn't practiced since August 22nd.....there is absolutely zero chance a rookie who hasn't practiced in half a month gets the start Sunday.  Wouldn't be fair to him or the team.  

Very true.

Jets' Jordan Jenkins on injured calf: 'I'm getting closer' | Complete injury report

AR-308229509.jpg

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK—  Jets' linebacker Jordan Jenkins still isn't back at practice. 

Almost, but not yet.

"I'm getting closer," Jenkins told NJ Advance Media by his locker on Wednesday. "I'll leave it at that. I'm getting closer."  

In a training camp practice on Aug. 22, Jenkins came rushing around the outside in an 11-on-11 team drill. As he planted his foot to cut to the quarterback, he heard a pop. He immediately went off to the side and found a trainer. 

Jenkins admitted he initially thought he tore something. He looked down at his leg, and something just didn't feel right. Further tests revealed it was just a strain. Since then, Jenkins has been rehabbing. 

"I'm ready to just get out of the training area," Jenkins said. 

Jenkins told NJ Advance Media he has not been given a date when he can practice again. He will find out when he goes in for his morning rehab sessions at 6 a.m., and trainers tell him they feel he can return to the field. 

He did minor work on Monday, but nothing on Wednesday. It's unclear if Jenkins will play in the Jets' season opener this Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals. If he doesn't practice Thursday, it's unlikely. 

Before his injury, Jenkins was the starting outside linebacker in the Jets' 3-4 defensive front. He played in both the base and nickel package. With Jenkins out of the linebacker, Mike Catapano has been getting first-team reps. He looked quite good in the Jets final two preseason games against the Giants and Eagles.

The Jets released their unofficial depth chart leading up to Sunday's season opener against the Bengals. Even with his injury, Jenkins is listed as the team's starter. Again, the depth chart is unofficial.  

Outside of Jenkins, quarterback Bryce Petty (shoulder) and corner Darryl Roberts (foot) didn't practice. Linebacker Bruce Carter (shoulder), linebacker David Harris (shoulder), receiver Brandon Marshall (hip) and defensive end Leonard Williams (leg) were limited. 

Harris and Marshall have been limited in recent weeks. Neither player's injury is serious, and both are expected to play Sunday. Williams was a new addition to the injury report. Bowles didn't seem concerned, though. 

"He's sore," Bowles said. "He never really got loose, so we held him out a bit."

Williams said by his locker that his groin was a "little tight." He added he expects to be a full-go on Thursday. 

For the Bengals, tight end Tyler Eifert (ankle) and defensive tackle Pat Sims(Achille's) did not practice. Cornerback Darqueze Dennard (ankle) was limited. Eifert will not play against the Jets. 

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com.

IF he doesn't play, Catapano will probably start in his place.  Catapano is better at setting the edge than Jenkins. 

Considering the Bengals game plan is likely to focus on the run, Jordan rehabbing for the Bills game doesn't bother me in the slightest. 

Some injury updates from Bowles:

On an injury report…

Bryce Petty, Jordan Jenkins, and (Darryl) Roberts did not practice. David Harris, Bruce Carter, Leonard Williams and Brandon Marshall (were) limited.

On if he has an idea of David Harris’ status for Sunday…

Not yet.

On Jenkins’ status for Sunday…

I’ll see how the week progresses. Some days he’s up. Some days he’s down, so that will go up right until the game.

On Williams being limited…

Yes, he was sore. He never really got loose in stretch, so we held him out a little bit.

On what soreness Williams delt with…

Leg soreness.

5 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

IF he doesn't play, Catapano will probably start in his place.  Catapano is better at setting the edge than Jenkins. 

Considering the Bengals game plan is likely to focus on the run, Jordan rehabbing for the Bills game doesn't bother me in the slightest. 

Catapano is a situational pass rusher who converted from another position and is coming off of a serious foot injury. He's not as stout as Jenkins could be in the run game. Jenkins could be an all pro in the next few years. 

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

Catapano is a situational pass rusher who converted from another position and is coming off of a serious foot injury. He's not as stout as Jenkins could be in the run game. Jenkins could be an all pro in the next few years. 

Oh. I thought we were talking about this Sunday. 

24 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

go back and rewatch preseason games.  If you have ever seen the two side by side in practice you would see there is a considerable physical difference between the two.  Maybe Catapano lost weight and is down to 270 lbs but its a stout looking 270.  I agree Jenkins could be a Pro Bowl caliber player down the road but I disagree in your assessment that he is better in run stopping at the moment.  The good thing is we have quality depth.  Jenkins is talented by he is still a rookie who hasn't practiced in 17 days playing in his first NFL game. 

13 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

What the hell is going on with Mauldin?

Supposed to be the big break out player.

That strange trade down in the 3rd round last year with the Texans is looking worse and worse. 

Left Duke Johnson sitting there, Harrison has already been released. 

hopefully he settles in and stops jumping offsides

15 minutes ago, Nostradamus said:

Catapano has flashed in every opportunity he has been given as an NFL player.  Hasn't seen tons of playing time but he has looked very good in every chance he was given dating back to his rookie season in KC.   I think he is WAY underrated.  

I disagree with what u said about having "good" depth as to be honest the position i bunch of no names who haven't done anything yet in the NFL but I do agree that Catapano may be a bit underrated.

35 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jordan Jenkins OUT this week ](*,)

Bowles isn't ruling out rookie OLB Jordan Jenkins (calf) yet for Sunday but Jenkins didn't participate in practice again

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Notes--Quotes-Still-No-Decision-on-RT/c1a9e002-9eb0-429b-b152-97b3752ecc1d

Jenkins probably will be out - but he hasn't been ruled out officially yet.

4 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Bowles isn't ruling out rookie OLB Jordan Jenkins (calf) yet for Sunday but Jenkins didn't participate in practice again

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-randylangefb/Notes--Quotes-Still-No-Decision-on-RT/c1a9e002-9eb0-429b-b152-97b3752ecc1d

Jenkins probably will be out - but he hasn't been ruled out officially yet.

FLORHAM PARK — The Jets on Thursday held their final full practice in preparation for Sunday's season opener against the Bengals

Below is what we noticed about their injured players during the 30-minute open portion of practice, plus Thursday's complete injury report. 

After practice, Jets coach Todd Bowles said defensive end Leonard Williams "should be" fine for Sunday. Bowles said inside linebackers David Harris and Bruce Carter are "still up in the air." Bowles also said it's "not yet" safe to say that outside linebacker Jordan Jenkins won't play Sunday. 

19 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

So IF Jenkins is a no go, we go from a rookie who played in the SEC to 2 Ivy Leaguers who are 2-3 year ST Vets - Catapano & Martin. Not good.

:unsure: 

Apparently even if Jenkins could go Catapano will be sharing starting OLB duties anyway.  Reported today by beat writer Connor Hughes he says was confirmed by Bowles today.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived