Ryan Fitzpatrick named "Worst Performer" in Week 3.

Villain The Foe

So the pendulum continues to swing with Ryan Fitzpatrick as he goes from AFC player of the week to the NFL worst player of the week. 

SAM MONSON | 1 DAY AGO
(Tom Szczerbowski, Getty Images)

(Tom Szczerbowski, Getty Images)

Every Tuesday, PFF will be releasing its list of the lowest-graded players at each NFL position for that week. But Senior Analyst Sam Monson gets a jump on that by picking out 10 individual performances from Sunday’s games that stood out for just how bad they were.

Here are the 10 worst performances from Sunday’s Week 3 action:

[Check out the 10 best performances from Sunday of Week 3 right here, or access our Player Grades tool to see how every NFL player measures up through three weeks of the season.]

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB, New York Jets

There isn’t a whole lot to say about this performance other than it was the worst single-game grade we have given a QB over the past 10-plus seasons of grading. (We said more about it here.) When under no pressure at all, Fitzpatrick had a passer rating of 10.5, threw four picks and had an average of just 3.5 yards per attempt. You won’t often see a player follow up an appearance on the Team of the Week with one on the Worst Team of the Week, but that’s what Fitzpatrick has managed to do in Weeks 2 and 3 of the 2016 season.

2. Ty Sambrailo, T, Denver Broncos

Injuries forced Denver to put Sambrailo back into the starting lineup, and it did not go well. Against the Bengals Sambrailo coughed up a sack, a hit and a hurry as well as being flagged once, and grading poorly in the run game. The Broncos averaged 0.75 yards per carry when running on either side of his blocks.

3. Ryan Shazier, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers

After an excellent performance in the first game of the season, Shazier has regressed back to poor play, struggling in coverage against the Eagles in particular. He was in primary coverage on five targets, four of which were caught for 103 yards and a touchdown, as he was the chief victim of Eagles running back Darren Sproles out of the backfield.

4. Carson Palmer, QB, Arizona Cardinals

Palmer was nearly as bad in Arizona’s loss to Buffalo on Sunday as he was in the NFC title game collapse against Carolina last season that ended Arizona’s Super Bowl bid. When pressured, Palmer’s passer rating was 63.2, but that was actually more than double the 31.1 he posted when not pressured at all. All four of his interceptions came without being hurried on the play, and his poor decision-making sunk the Cardinals in this one.

carsonpalmerweek3pressure

5. Jason Verrett, CB, San Diego Chargers

Verrett came into this game having effectively shut down Jaguars star wide receiver Allen Robinson the previous week, but he couldn’t come close to the same trick against Indianapolis’ T.Y. Hilton, who gashed him for big yardage. In this game Verrett gave up a total of 138 yards and a touchdown, and when targeted, he allowed a perfect passer rating of 158.3.

6. Jalen Mills, CB, Philadelphia Eagles

Making a seventh-round rookie cornerback cover Antonio Brown is just not fair, and Mills was predictably not up to the task in Philadelphia’s win over Pittsburgh. Brown beat him for seven catches and 89 yards on the eight targets sent his way, but Mills also gave up a catch every time he was targeted when covering both Sammie Coates and Eli Rogers, surrendering a total of 164 yards in the game. The Eagles coaches really didn’t do Mills any favors.

7. Jihad Ward, DT, Oakland Raiders

When the opposition is able to average 6.2 yards per carry on the ground, the run defense has been a problem, and Raiders rookie lineman Ward was one of the biggest weak links in the chain for them in their close win over Tennessee. Ward was consistently moved from the point of attack and simply couldn’t anchor against the Titans’ line, getting smashed back and allowing big gains all day.

8. T.J. Clemmings, T, Minnesota Vikings

On this evidence at least, it doesn’t seem that the Vikings have answered their problems at left tackle by inserting Clemmings into the lineup. He picked up where Matt Kalil had left off, surrendering three hurries in the passing game and failing to hold up his end of the bargain as a run-blocker, despite playing against a Carolina defensive front that has been poor so far this season.

9. Mark Barron, LB, Los Angeles Rams

Barron graded below-average in every facet of the game PFF measures in the Rams’ close win over the Bucs. He was beaten on blocks in the run game, on screens, could only generate one unblocked pressure on 11 blitzes, and gave up plays in coverage in what was an all-around bad day at the office.

10. Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Carolina Panthers

Last week Benjamin was the Panthers’ hero against the 49ers, catching seven passes for 108 yards and two touchdowns. Against the Vikings he was blanketed so thoroughly he was only even targeted once, and that pass was broken up by CB Marcus Sherels – a player giving up six inches in height and 65 pounds in listed weight to Benjamin. As if that wasn’t bad enough he was also flagged twice and beaten as a blocker in the run game.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Wow what a surprise!

The one team that is going to go down in flames this year when they have a near super bowl calibre team is arizona, Palmer looks to have totally lost it to me.  Looked like he was done last years playoffs.

You could have a point with Palmer, though Bruce Arians has to be my favorite coach in the league. They're going to win 2 or 3 games this year just based on the fact that he's on the sideline. 

Carson Palmer may be the worst "good" quarterback I have ever seen. I mean when he is bad is like FITZPATRICK bad ;).

Seriously, after his Fitz-like performance in last years playoffs (what did he throw, like 5 ints?), I was sure Arizona was gonna pick up the phone and trade for Mike Glennon or draft somebody like Prescott to groom.   Palmers best days are definitely behind him.... 

34 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You could have a point with Palmer, though Bruce Arians has to be my favorite coach in the league. They're going to win 2 or 3 games this year just based on the fact that he's on the sideline. 

Me too, except we will see really how good he is re the QBing.  Many a good coach has gone down in flames due to too much QB loyalty.

29 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Carson Palmer may be the worst "good" quarterback I have ever seen. I mean when he is bad is like FITZPATRICK bad ;).

Seriously, after his Fitz-like performance in last years playoffs (what did he throw, like 5 ints?), I was sure Arizona was gonna pick up the phone and trade for Mike Glennon or draft somebody like Prescott to groom.   Palmers best days are definitely behind him.... 

Palmer is a better business man than he ever was a QB. Dude has made a killing on the market. With that said, Carson Palmer is like the rich mans version of Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

You can tell by the fanbase. Every year  they're excited and they're winning games, but when it comes to those important games or you can see that their confidence isnt fully there. 

What was crazy was watching as Jets fans were killing the Cards/Palmer while at the same time trying to make a case on how good the Bills are while trying to boast up how Fitz performance was that much more impressive given what the Jets did to the Bills who are at that time beating the Cards 17-0. Our game  starts and the Jets are quickly down 17-0 and Fitz actually outperforms Palmer in having the sh*ttiest game of the week. 

It was borderline poetic how that happened. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Palmer is a better business man than he ever was a QB. Dude has made a killing on the market. With that said, Carson Palmer is like the rich mans version of Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

You can tell by the fanbase. Every year  they're excited and they're winning games, but when it comes to those important games or you can see that their confidence isnt fully there. 

What was crazy was watching as Jets fans were killing the Cards/Palmer while at the same time trying to make a case on how good the Bills are while trying to boast up how Fitz performance was that much more impressive given what the Jets did to the Bills who are at that time beating the Cards 17-0. Our game  starts and the Jets are quickly down 17-0 and Fitz actually outperforms Palmer in having the sh*ttiest game of the week. 

It was borderline poetic how that happened. 

You down right invent a lot of stuff you know that?  You are the Trump of Qb evals.

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Based on the underlying statistics posted there is no way the coaching staff of the rest of the team is at fault for this loss. IMO it is undeniable that poor QB play can ruin the entire team's play and bring other performers down with them.

It was Fitz, Fitz and Fitz......

I agree. It's one thing to poorly execute, but this was on a different level. You have interceptions, then you have INTERCEPTIONS. That performance was completely on the QB. 

43 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I agree. It's one thing to poorly execute, but this was on a different level. You have interceptions, then you have INTERCEPTIONS. That performance was completely on the QB. 

Yup.  No sense knocking anyone else on the team, other than Bowles for not ending the madness.

Fitz says it was hard facing the guys Monday.  Sh!t, it should have been hard facing a mirror.  If he has any sort of moral compass, he should be ashamed whenever he sees his bank card.  

When the NFL Network does the next episode of top 10 worst QB performances ever, Fitz will be #1.  

I do not say this lightly...  Tebow would have done better last Sunday.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Yup.  No sense knocking anyone else on the team, other than Bowles for not ending the madness.

Fitz says it was hard facing the guys Monday.  Sh!t, it should have been hard facing a mirror.  If he has any sort of moral compass, he should be ashamed whenever he sees his bank card.  

When the NFL Network does the next episode of top 10 worst QB performances ever, Fitz will be #1.  

I do not say this lightly...  Tebow would have done better last Sunday.

Everyone knows he sucks except our organization this is on Macc and Bowles if Fitzpatrick costs them their jobs so be it. 

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Wow what a surprise!

The one team that is going to go down in flames this year when they have a near super bowl calibre team is arizona, Palmer looks to have totally lost it to me.  Looked like he was done last years playoffs.

It was amazing to me how many times Palmer Dropped back and had David Johnson WIDE open in the flats. For christs sake when a team is taking away your WR's beat them underneath with a dynamic talent like Johnson. No one seems to remember what Kurt Warner did with Marshall Faulk and what they did opened up all the intermediate and deep passes they wanted. It Does not work the other way around ...someone please tell Palmer and Fitzpatrick that please.

16 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

It was amazing to me how many times Palmer Dropped back and had David Johnson WIDE open in the flats. For christs sake when a team is taking away your WR's beat them underneath with a dynamic talent like Johnson. No one seems to remember what Kurt Warner did with Marshall Faulk and what they did opened up all the intermediate and deep passes they wanted. It Does not work the other way around ...someone please tell Palmer and Fitzpatrick that please.

When he did throw it it was into the ground or so low the guy could not make  a play on it.  As an aside, Johnson is a great player.  Talk about a do it all player.

With all due respect to all  of the internet experts, this was and continues to be an organizational problem of the Jets that has been repeated for decades. Until they decide to either copy other successful team they are bound to continue the mediocrity.  Just because your quarterback isn't as good as you thought he is not his fault. He was incorrectly evaluated by the Jets Organization.

6 minutes ago, Maine Coon Cat said:

With all due respect to all  of the internet experts, this was and continues to be an organizational problem of the Jets that has been repeated for decades. Until they decide to either copy other successful team they are bound to continue the mediocrity.  Just because your quarterback isn't as good as you thought he is not his fault. He was incorrectly evaluated by the Jets Organization.

Hate to keep saying it guys brother Jets fans but its 47 years and counting...........

They're being nice to him.  He could very easily have been worst performer of the: month, season, decade...

He really better come out and play well Sunday or the fans will get ugly real fast.

My guess is Marshall, Decker, Q and Forte will go above and beyond to help him, and we'll win with a decent performance overall.  Not sure if that's a good thing though.  To save the season and any hopes of the playoffs, Fitz may have to be benched.  

The main worry is, what could possibly cause Bowles to be a good coach and bench Fitz?  It's not likely Fitz will play worse than he did last week.  (No QB may ever play that bad again.)  

And the Jets QB saga continues. Until they dump Fitz and Geno and see if we have anything with Petty and Hack, the boards will continue breathing fire. Entertaining at best but it continues to be hard on us Jet fans. I'm glad my girlfriend took my beer away from me because I was about to hurl it at my 50" TV. 

1 minute ago, MaxAF said:

And the Jets QB saga continues. Until they dump Fitz and Geno and see if we have anything with Petty and Hack, the boards will continue breathing fire. Entertaining at best but it continues to be hard on us Jet fans. I'm glad my girlfriend took my beer away from me because I was about to hurl it at my 50" TV. 

Not worth it. 

3 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Just think though, if you were able to hit the TV from across the room with a beer, you're more accurate than our 12mil QB.

That should make you feel good.

Petty is a maybe and needs a chance, Hackenburg is dreadful and will never amount to anything. 

Geno will be gone next year, unless Fitz plays awful the rest of the year he will be back and the two newer guys will have to show something.

If the Jets do happen to fall off and out of the playoffs we will see if we have a smart and ballsy coach and front office or gutless one.  If they fall out of contention Petty should be given every chance to play to see if he is a prospect or not.

Archived