"Todd Bowles did not want Paxton Lynch"- Adam Schein on Sirius

Matt39

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Well I understand your frustration but Mac has been here for two years and have drafted two quarterbacks in that time that both show promise to me.  I am just pissed that Petty got hurt in a meaningless preseason game.  

Macc has no great history of winning anything or are any QB's that are decent on Maccs resume, 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Obviously you need fast, athletic LB's in today's NFL.  But it does not mean you HAVE to burn a 1st round pick on one.  Of course this pick had Bowles' fingerprints all over it.  Much like many of the defensive picks we made under Rex Ryan.  So in hindsight this kind of story isn't that hard to believe.  Our GM catered to the HC entirely on one of the most important picks in recent Jet history. 

Not giving up a king's ransom of picks for Wentz is at least somewhat understandable.  Passing on a QB we apparently liked (who came in for an official team visit, no less) is not. 

Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss.  Common denominator:  Woody Johnson. 

Mac has been a scout since like forever.  I'm 99.9% sure that over the years he's seen players he's been high on get passed over for such "political" reasons as the GM being swayed by the HC, or the GM just being a moron, or the GM drafting for need over BPA.  So....now that Mac is "the man" does anyone really think he's going to go against himself?  LOL, Jet's fans are the worst.  At least the fans that are already looking to throw Mac under the bus are the worst.    

Just now, phill1c said:

Who, but a handful of disgruntled Fitzpatrick supporters, is criticizing the HC for his role in drafting a productive player?

We could have a rookie Brett Favre on the roster and he still would be sitting at this point.

Thank God somebody else gets it!! 

14 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don't find same cold comfort in losses knowing that the team "checked someone out"  they see Geno  in practice every day if he was good they'd play him. The money given to fitz sounds huge but it actually is small potatoes for a QB. they could bench him if there were a better option. 

Oh but you find cold comfort in losing with a QB that does nothing for your team?  

They named him the starter in Jan.  They didnt give a better option the slightest bit of consideration.

Just now, BallinPB said:

talk to me in two years when the QBs taken after Lee actually prove something.  

So what if they do? We have drafted QBs on the roster who aren't starting yet AND who knows, there may be some QBs available in the draft if we need one still.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Its always 2 years 3 years sadly that day hasnt come for us. Lets discuss today here and now. 

you can't discuss a player who you have very limited NFL film on.  WE don't know if Lynch will be good and if you do please explain how.  

1 minute ago, BallinPB said:

talk to me in two years when the QBs taken after Lee actually prove something.  

Kid has one rough game against one of the best TE in the league and now he is a bad pick to some.  (Some of those throws and catches were incredible; Lee had perfect coverage on most of them).  I swear sometimes I think we don't deserve to have a championship caliber team.   We sh*t on our own players WAY too much.   Lee is the LEAST of our problems.  

2 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

you can't discuss a player who you have very limited NFL film on.  WE don't know if Lynch will be good and if you do please explain how.  

He's better than Fitz is currently and Prescott is light years ahead of Fitz 

Fitz ia and was a bum if Macc wasn't smart enough to realize he only beat 2 teams with winning records last season then we have bigger problems 

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

No it wasn't just one player. Light years. He wasn't a few weeks ago. He almost got fired after that game. I give him credit though for getting his team together. I felt even before this season that they had enough talent to compete for a playoff spot. Player talent that is not coaching talent. As for Bowles he hasn't had six years yet to be bad. He won't get it like Rex did either but neither will Rex in Buff. 

and look what he has done w/ a team that has been ravaged by injuries and suspension.

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don't find same cold comfort in losses knowing that the team "checked someone out"  they see Geno  in practice every day if he was good they'd play him. The money given to fitz sounds huge but it actually is small potatoes for a QB. they could bench him if there were a better option. 

Geno was the starter, over Fitzpatrick, until he got his jaw jacked.

He's better than Fitz is currently and Prescott is light years ahead of Fitz 

Fitz ia and was a bum if Macc wasn't smart enough to realize he only beat 2 teams with winning records last season then we have bigger problems 

those points are valid.  My point is though how do you know that those QBs will be successful in the future?  Are we going to draft QBs just because they are better than Fitz?  Are we setting the bar that low?  

3 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

those points are valid.  My point is though how do you know that those QBs will be successful in the future?  Are we going to draft QBs just because they are better than Fitz?  Are we setting the bar that low?  

Isn't Fitz grooming Petty and Hack? :(

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Link?

How bright does the team think he is? Well, Hackenberg and Cal’s Jared Goff were head and shoulders above the rest of the quarterback class in terms of football I.Q. in their mind. They were 1 and 1A.

The Jets made a play to trade up to the top spot in the draft for Goff before the Titans got a king’s ransom from the Rams. When that ship sailed, Hackenberg was always going to be their guy. The Paxton Lynch “interest” was nothing more than subterfuge. The Jets had a third/fourth-round grade on Lynch, which is fascinating considering that John Elway traded up in the first round to secure the Memphis quarterback. Only time will tell whether the Broncos or Jets is right.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-jets-mailbag-gang-green-love-christian-hackenberg-article-1.2623182

Isn't Fitz grooming Petty and Hack? :(

So are you mad that we picked Hackenberg when he hasn't played a single down in the NFL yet?  Give it sometime to play out before we go declaring this pick wrong and saying that we should've picked up this player and what not.  

So are you mad that we picked Hackenberg when he hasn't played a single down in the NFL yet?  Give it sometime to play out before we go declaring this pick wrong and saying that we should've picked up this player and what not.  

No but he wasn't a good choice is what I'm saying he had some bad seasons at Penn St 

11 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Mac has been a scout since like forever.  I'm 99.9% sure that over the years he's seen players he's been high on get passed over for such "political" reasons as the GM being swayed by the HC, or the GM just being a moron, or the GM drafting for need over BPA.  So....now that Mac is "the man" does anyone really think he's going to go against himself?  LOL, Jet's fans are the worst.  At least the fans that are already looking to throw Mac under the bus are the worst.    

Maybe.  It's just really hard for Macc to come out of this looking good.  Only way he can is if one of Hackenberg or Petty becomes a quality starting QB.  His chips are on the table.  I'm willing to withhold full judgment until we know one way or the other about those 2 QB's. 

No but he wasn't a good choice is what I'm saying he had some bad seasons at Penn St 

My point is how the hell do you know that?  DO you know more than Macc and if so please explain your credentials.  The guy hasn't played yet and he already wasn't a good choice.  Give me a break.  

My point is how the hell do you know that?  DO you know more than Macc and if so please explain your credentials.  The guy hasn't played yet and he already wasn't a good choice.  Give me a break.  

What are Macc's credentials he won nothing anywhere and he never developed or chose a halfway decent QB. 

What are Macc's credentials he won nothing anywhere and he never developed or chose a halfway decent QB. 

College and pro scout for the Redskins.  College scout for the Texans.  Now your turn.  

56 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That's fine, perfectly fine this is where these guys are paid and keep their jobs to be right.  Funny that they didn;t want to take a shot at a risky 1st round Qb but jumped with  both feet in on a guy even riskier one round later.

MacCagnan will be judged to a great extent on Lynch vs Hackenburg, like it or not.

He will be judged by no one other than fans on that stupid topic.  The Panthers drafted Jimmy Clausen as a high second round pick (higher than Hack), bombed the year after, and picked Cam Newton in 2011.  Same thing can happen to us.  There's no way we could do that if we took Paxton in the first.  Macc didn't think he was a QB worth the risk of spending a first rounder.  I agreed with that to be honest.  There is a huge difference in risk between a 1st round guy and a 2nd round guy.

Macc will at least be given a chance to use a first round pick on a QB (unless Petty or Hack work out) and Todd Bowles will at least be given 3, maybe even 4, years to prove he can be the coach.  The sooner this circlejerk fantasy of firing everyone ends, the more tolerable this board will be.  It has become unreadable.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He will be judged by no one other than fans on that stupid topic.  The Panthers drafted Jimmy Clausen as a high second round pick (higher than Hack), bombed the year after, and picked Cam Newton in 2011.  Same thing can happen to us.  There's no way we could do that if we took Paxton in the first.  Macc didn't think he was a QB worth the risk of spending a first rounder.  I agreed with that to be honest.  

Macc will at least be given a chance to use a first round pick on a QB (unless Petty or Hack work out) and Todd Bowles will at least be given 3-4 years to prove he can be the coach.  The sooner this circlejerk fantasy of firing everyone ends, the more tolerable this board will be.  It has become unreadable.

3-4 years of Todd Bowles?

5 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

1. He had a very questionable College Level Resume.  One year of moderate success, his first year, and two years of run-of-mill performance.

2. He was clearly a pick based on potential and metrics (size), not in-game performance.

3. His inabillity to see any game time in Preseason Gmaes #1 and #2 was an example of his unreadiness to play at all at the pro level.

4. His horrific quality of play in Preseason Game #4, vs. 4th stringers, is another example that he's simply 100% unready to play at a Pro level.

He is a "bad pick" only insofar as he is worthless, completely worthless, in the short term (this year, likely next year as well).

He will be a bad pick if he does not develop into an average #1 level player after being gifted 2-3 years to learn the game.

You're right, we won't know about Hack for a bit, any judgment now is too early.  We won't know till 2018.

Winning what?  Developing or choosing what decent QB? 

well if you have to win something to be a good scout the most of league has bad scouts and as far as what QBs he's chosen, I don't know that answer.  He doesn't develop QBs however as that is the job of the coaching staff.  

well if you have to win something to be a good scout the most of league has bad scouts and as far as what QBs he's chosen, I don't know that answer.  He doesn't develop QBs however as that is the job of the coaching staff.  

So no decent quality QB's on his resume? 

3-4 years of Todd Bowles?

Yes. 3 years at least.  Quicker that settles in, the better off this community will be.  He isn't getting fired a year after leading us to our first double digit winning season since 2010.

So no decent quality QB's on his resume? 

I'm at work so don't have the time to research.  But if you please let me know.    Another point also, he didnt choose players, he scouted players.  He did not develop players also so anything you tell me can not directly be blamed on him.

Archived