What was the Best Case Scenario-6 Games?

varjet

Looking back to early September and the brutal schedule that everyone knew was coming, what did everyone think was the best the Jets could do?

For the first 4 games, I thought the hope was to split them.  We knew we had to beat Buffalo and optimistically hoped to take 1 or 2 of the Cin, KC and Sea games. The Jets basically did that, except that due to a missed extra point and FG, and Revis not getting the help he required, the Jets lost the Cin game.  They sacked the QB 8 times-and still lost.

Pitt and Arz on the road also looked hard/unwinable.  if the Jets started at 2-4, and then went 8-2 (best case) or 7-3 (optimistic), then perhaps they still make the playoffs.  Even at 7-3 for the last 10 games, that means that if they lose both to the Patriots, they can only lose once more (note that last year's 10-6 season had them beat the Patriots once).

Everyone knew that the schedule dictated such a result.  The repeat 10-6 was a long shot.  That is a reason by many thought signing Fitz for that much this year was a waste, because the schedule was so difficult. "Lucky" for the Jets that another underachieving team are the Cardinals.

Unfortunately, what the difficult schedule does tell us is that it is hard for the Jets to play good teams.  You want to the Jets to be considered a good team, and team that the other teams fear.   They have more work to do in that regard.  This is not a good team.  When the Jets have alot of "good" teams on their schedule, that means the Jets; schedule is hard, and they are not expected to win.  Sad.

If I were Bowles, I would throw the kitchen sink at the Steelers-blitz, start Geno, trick plays, everything.  Otherwise you will definitely lose.  Try and play the Cardinals straight up and see if you can beat them.  Then we hope for 2-4 or 3-3.  

Taking each game individually I'd have said best case 4-2, with the two losses to Pitt and Arizona. But that would have required a 4-0 start, which I had no faith in our Jets doing even if they were playing well, so 3-3 would have been a good / acceptable outcome.

Getting to 3-3 would help undo a lot of the damage of a 1-3 start, and would also give us some good momentum going into the easier stretch of our schedule. Sadly I don't see any way we win our next two. Right now, winning one would be an achievement. Sunday's game in Pitt could prove the old adage that just when you think things can't get any worse, they do. Right now that has disaster written all over it. Only way we have a chance is if Pitt seriously overlook us ... but even then I think we'd find a way to screw it up.

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We lost to 3 teams that are better then us and beat the team that is equal to us.

Our record is exactly as it should be.  

Thats not good enough of course.

I dont think Cinci is better and god forbid you win a game vs. a better team.  The world has never seen such a feat. 

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We lost to 3 teams that are better then us and beat the team that is equal to us.

Our record is exactly as it should be.  

Thats not good enough of course.

I think we were even with Cincinatti but lost due to too many mistakes, lack of preparation, and choking.

Stop this already. The season was clearly over in the second quarter of the Chiefs game. No more "what-ifs." Ben, Brown, Bell and company are going to steamroll this defense on Sunday. 

SAR I had it pegged after the Bengals loss.  I think he was early on that one but I know where he was coming from.

32 minutes ago, varjet said:

Looking back to early September and the brutal schedule that everyone knew was coming, what did everyone think was the best the Jets could do?

For the first 4 games, I thought the hope was to split them.  We knew we had to beat Buffalo and optimistically hoped to take 1 or 2 of the Cin, KC and Sea games. The Jets basically did that, except that due to a missed extra point and FG, and Revis not getting the help he required, the Jets lost the Cin game.  They sacked the QB 8 times-and still lost.

Pitt and Arz on the road also looked hard/unwinable.  if the Jets started at 2-4, and then went 8-2 (best case) or 7-3 (optimistic), then perhaps they still make the playoffs.  Even at 7-3 for the last 10 games, that means that if they lose both to the Patriots, they can only lose once more (note that last year's 10-6 season had them beat the Patriots once).

Everyone knew that the schedule dictated such a result.  The repeat 10-6 was a long shot.  That is a reason by many thought signing Fitz for that much this year was a waste, because the schedule was so difficult. "Lucky" for the Jets that another underachieving team are the Cardinals.

Unfortunately, what the difficult schedule does tell us is that it is hard for the Jets to play good teams.  You want to the Jets to be considered a good team, and team that the other teams fear.   They have more work to do in that regard.  This is not a good team.  When the Jets have alot of "good" teams on their schedule, that means the Jets; schedule is hard, and they are not expected to win.  Sad.

If I were Bowles, I would throw the kitchen sink at the Steelers-blitz, start Geno, trick plays, everything.  Otherwise you will definitely lose.  Try and play the Cardinals straight up and see if you can beat them.  Then we hope for 2-4 or 3-3.  

With Fitztragic 1-5 (will be 1-6 against Ravens 7th gm) Geno maybe 2-4, 2-5.  Petty same as Fitztragic. 

This team looks so revoltingly bad in all phases cept punter right now that it is tough to think we can win either of the next two games.  The good news is that the NFL is a bizarre league and on any given day things can change.  Pittsburgh gets destroyed by a rookie Q, next week they destroy a the team that clobbered us.

Arizona goes from being a legit preseason SB contender to looking very bad with a Qb who looks as bad as fitz does - the volume of ints. 

As I said back in July, in order for the Jets to have a prayer at the playoffs we needed to open the season 3-3 and that included winning the first 2 games as they were the most a winnable ones on the schedule in the first 6 weeks.

The season has been over since before it began, the long shot of the playoffs would've involved beating Cincinnati, I'm sorry it's taking some of you so long to realize this. 

SAR I

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

As I said back in July, in order for the Jets to have a prayer at the playoffs we needed to open the season 3-3 and that included winning the first 2 games as they were the most a winnable ones on the schedule in the first 6 weeks.

The season has been over since before it began, the long shot of the playoffs would've involved beating Cincinnati, I'm sorry it's taking some of you so long to realize this. 

SAR I

You are absolutely correct, but the playoff scenario you describe was tough but doable before the season started.

They are still in contention, but it looks very grim.  

Archived