Petty "close" to returning, per Bowles

AFJF

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Fitz isn't costing the Jets 12 million on the salary cap. What CB #2 are they adding to an already overpriced secondary? If Skrine isn't good enough or able to be the CB #2 then why are they paying him like one? Fitz' contract had nothing to do with the defense's deficiencies. For as much as everyone saw that Fitz would regress, I've been screaming from the rooftops that the secondary could be very bad since the offseason. And now that's come to fruition too. And there's much more money and time in contracts dedicated to the porous secondary than there is the QB position.

You sure about that? I call it borrowed cap. would you rather pay 12mil to the leagues worst QB or maybe 8mil to a CB#2? I think Geno can do a Fitz impersonation for a sixth of the cost and still be better. And the secondary does have overpriced safety and corner but you don't allocate resources like you said. You allocate based on need. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Still not healthy enough to practice.

Why not Geno? We're getting blown away next wk anyways. Bowles knows it. I don't see the benefit of starting Fitz at all. I'm ok with giving him a "short leash" for a few drives, unlike this last wk. 

7 minutes ago, j4jets said:

You sure about that? I call it borrowed cap. would you rather pay 12mil to the leagues worst QB or maybe 8mil to a CB#2? I think Geno can do a Fitz impersonation for a sixth of the cost and still be better. And the secondary does have overpriced safety and corner but you don't allocate resources like you said. You allocate based on need. 

Fitz cost against the 2016 cap is not 12 million. The Jets already have a #2 corner in Buster Skrine making nearly 8 million. Again, what CB was a free agent that the Jets were going to bring in when they had 25 million tied up in the top two corners as it is? You want 33 million for 3 CBs? Doesnt make fiscal sense. 

11 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Geno is not coming back next year. Why are they giving him an opportunity to start. The relationship between the player and the team is so far damaged there is no coming back from it. It doesn't behoove the Jets to put him out there.

If they don't like him so much they can cut or even trade him. They might try to get something for him maybe. But Bowles has said he's next man up and he hasn't played badly this season because he hasn't played. It does make sense to see how he can do in a game or two. But again I'm hoping Fitz finishes the season as starter and imo he shouldn't be benched. But he has to turn things around for him and for the team. 

13 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

No I don't think it will be this year, but there must be some positives come out of the year. or the writing will be on the wall. 

Still plenty of time for some positives.  Lee has looked good, Burris is bound to get some run at some point, maybe Leonard Williams picks up a couple more sacks, Jordan Jenkins has only played a couple weeks but looks as good as advertised, etc....

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

If they don't like him so much they can cut or even trade him. They might try to get something for him maybe. But Bowles has said he's next man up and he hasn't played badly this season because he hasn't played. It does make sense to see how he can do in a game or two. But again I'm hoping Fitz finishes the season as starter and imo he shouldn't be benched. But he has to turn things around for him and for the team. 

Let's see what happens once Petty is healthy.

27 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Here's a question about this, and my main concern with this approach. Let's say Petty gets 8 games, and looks pretty good. Not stellar, but good to the point where you believe he could be a long term solution. Maybe he goes 5-3 or 6-2, but the worry is that this was a product of our schedule, or opponents lacking film on him.

Come draft time, we have a chance to pick, or trade up moderately to pick, one of the top QB prospects. Is 8 games of Petty being pretty good enough to pass up that chance? Or will it be like us passing on the many prospects because we'd just drafted Geno? Can half a season validate - either way - what we have in him?

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

If by some crazy chance one of the Top 3 QBs (Watson, Kaaya, Kizer) are on the board when we pick, you take them and run. Don't even think twice about it, just do it

3 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I don't think you're seeing my point. If Geno were to play that means the postseason is out of reach for the Jets. If that's the case, then you play Petty because he's an unknown. Geno is a known quantity. He's not coming back next season. Petty is. It's a smarter decision to play Petty over Geno if and when it comes to it. 

Geno is a buffer. He's there because Petty is hurt and Hack is not ready. If Fitz went down next week and there was no Geno then it would be feet to the fire for Hack and no one wants that right now. 

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I dont get the impression he's going to pass Geno.

If the CS thinks Geno is better than put him in. I personally and it's just my opinion think they're only keeping Geno around until Petty is healthy. He is Mac's pick, the fact Geno didn't get a shot to play the last two games is very telling, or it could be the Fu*king 12 mil paid to Fitz. 

31 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Here's a question about this, and my main concern with this approach. Let's say Petty gets 8 games, and looks pretty good. Not stellar, but good to the point where you believe he could be a long term solution. Maybe he goes 5-3 or 6-2, but the worry is that this was a product of our schedule, or opponents lacking film on him.

Come draft time, we have a chance to pick, or trade up moderately to pick, one of the top QB prospects. Is 8 games of Petty being pretty good enough to pass up that chance? Or will it be like us passing on the many prospects because we'd just drafted Geno? Can half a season validate - either way - what we have in him?

My opinion is we need to go quarterback hunting in the draft, keep drafting them, always have one guy who is in Year 2 when we draft a rookie in Year 1.  When you find one that looks awesome you're good.  When you don't, you keep hunting in the draft, take one each year.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I don't think you're seeing my point. If Geno were to play that means the postseason is out of reach for the Jets. If that's the case, then you play Petty because he's an unknown. Geno is a known quantity. He's not coming back next season. Petty is. It's a smarter decision to play Petty over Geno if and when it comes to it. 

Geno is a buffer. He's there because Petty is hurt and Hack is not ready. If Fitz went down next week and there was no Geno then it would be feet to the fire for Hack and no one wants that right now. 

You're closing the chapter on him. If the team continues to play poorly and is eliminated early you say to go to Petty. Sure they can do that but maybe they just want to take one last look at Geno. I kind of agree that there is more of an upside with Petty and other inexperienced Qbs are being given a chance to play and are doing well. But imo I'd maybe give him a game or two to see what he can do. He was not terrible against the Raiders last year. He was fair to ok. 

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

You're closing the chapter on him. If the team continues to play poorly and is eliminated early you say to go to Petty. Sure they can do that but maybe they just want to take one last look at Geno. I kind of agree that there is more of an upside with Petty and other inexperienced Qbs are being given a chance to play and are doing well. But imo I'd maybe give him a game or two to see what he can do. He was not terrible against the Raiders last year. He was fair to ok. 

What part of 'Geno is not under contract after 2016 and the Jets don't want anything to do with him' do you not understand? There's zero reason to play Geno. There's less than zero reason to even have him on this roster. I hope beyond hope that once Petty can give it a go in practice that Geno is released.

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Fitz cost against the 2016 cap is not 12 million. The Jets already have a #2 corner in Buster Skrine making nearly 8 million. Again, what CB was a free agent that the Jets were going to bring in when they had 25 million tied up in the top two corners as it is? You want 33 million for 3 CBs? Doesnt make fiscal sense. 

Like I said, Fitz is costing the Jets $12mil for this year. I don't care how that's spread out. He could've signed a 10 year 200 mil contract with 12mil guaranteed and it still wouldn't have mattered. Buster is a nickel corner who is NOT making $8mil this year, or even close to it. Like I said, you allocate resources based on needs. Just because, hypothetically speaking, you drafted three starting caliber WRs in two years making a combined total of $5mil, doesn't mean you go out in the FA and sign a WR1 to accommodate your resource allocation model. We didn't even attempt signing a CB. Thats concerning.

2 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Like I said, Fitz is costing the Jets $12mil for this year. I don't care how that's spread out. He could've signed a 10 year 200 mil contract with 12mil guaranteed and it still wouldn't have mattered. Buster is a nickel corner who is NOT making $8mil this year, or even close to it. Like I said, you allocate resources based on needs. Just because, hypothetically speaking, you drafted three starting caliber WRs in two years making a combined total of $5mil, doesn't mean you go out in the FA and sign a WR1 to accommodate your resource allocation model. We didn't even attempt signing a CB. Thats concerning.

Yeah. You have no idea what you're talking about. Google Jets contracts and educate yourself. There's no further discussion to be had here. Google is your friend. 

39 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Geno is not coming back next year. Why are they giving him an opportunity to start. The relationship between the player and the team is so far damaged there is no coming back from it. It doesn't behoove the Jets to put him out there.

The relationship is so damaged he was retained and given the #2 job.  What damage!

It behooves the Jets to get a player on the field who has more in his repertoire than 40 back shoulder throws, 30 short screens, 20 errant slants, 10 awful picks, and a partridge in a pear tree.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yeah. You have no idea what you're talking about. Google Jets contracts and educate yourself. There's no further discussion to be had here. Google is your friend. 

The good ol "you have no idea" reply when you have no logical reply. I'll talk about contracts with you all day long, CRAZYCarl. Care to dispute any of my points? 

39 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I call this bullsh*t, sort of like the one Fitz has been laying the last couple of wks. Fitz isn't coming back next year either. And if Geno's relationship with players was so damaged as you claim, he would've been released long time ago. Made no sense keeping him and not playing him when needed.

10 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

What part of 'Geno is not under contract after 2016 and the Jets don't want anything to do with him' do you not understand? There's zero reason to play Geno. There's less than zero reason to even have him on this roster. I hope beyond hope that once Petty can give it a go in practice that Geno is released.

What part of "he's on the team this year" do YOU not understand? Petty is not overtaking Geno. Remember how he was on the roster bubble and then started beating up on Obamacare agents and people like you thought he was gold? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Goes for Fitz and Bret Ratliff.

Fool's Gold. 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Start him if they get to 1-5 if not sooner.

IIRC, Macc spent $12M for Fitz.  We're not switching to the backup this early in the season.  Fitz will have to throw 9 more ints in the next 2 games for there to be a change. 

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

IIRC, Macc spent $12M for Fitz.  We're not switching to the backup this early in the season.  Fitz will have to throw 9 more ints in the next 2 games for there to be a change. 

That may happen.

2 minutes ago, Ben Had said:

With all these rookie QB's playing this year don't you think if Petty was on the same level he would already be in there?  

Not if he's injured.

Just now, The Crusher said:

Practice makes perfect. We need serviceable. Play him.

Hey, if they want to put him in there to throw left-handed and see what an NFL defense looks like up close, go for it.

1 hour ago, King P said:

If by some crazy chance one of the Top 3 QBs (Watson, Kaaya, Kizer) are on the board when we pick, you take them and run. Don't even think twice about it, just do it

The top QB coming out isn't even listed lol, but yeah if Kelly is on the board pounce.

Archived