The Lack of a Sense of Urgency is Another Troubling Thing About Todd Bowles

Clueless Owner

Everyone knew that the Jets were facing a tough start of the season schedule-wise.  There did not seem to be a sense of urgency to win these games on Bowles' part, and the team lacked intensity and preparation.  The lack of urgency goes back to OTA's, when it should have started.

It makes one wonder what exactly were the goals for this season.  On the surface, it would seem like a win-now team with a lot of capable veterans, with a lot of rookies thrown into the mix.  It seems like they are trying to win now while also having a partial rebuild at the same time.  Does Todd Bowles feel his job is secure because he was directly hired by Woody Johnson, and the owner would give him a lot of time because the decision to hire Bowles was his, and he wouldn't want to make himself look bad?  The situation looks confusing.. but not surprising with Woody Johnson as the owner!

Todd Bowles seems like a decent guy and I wish him well.  But there are questions about his own motivation.  And he seems like he is in over his head as a head coach, especially in New York where it is very tough, and you are always under pressure and under the microscope.  Maybe he would have been ok in a place, say, like Jacksonville, where people are more laid back and don't care as much. He also might be better as a coordinator or position coach.  The games ahead will further determine Todd Bowles' future.  But then again, the decision about his future seems to end up in the hands of Woody Johnson.

As far as the schedule lightening up, one can't assume what is going to happen.  Key injuries can happen to the Jets.  What if, say, Matt Forte or Brandon Marshall go down?  One can't assume how the other teams will play, either.  What if certain teams are highly motivated or prepared?  If the goal was to make the playoffs, there should have been a sense of urgency.  Now they are 1-4 with historical 6% chance to make the playoffs.  Then again, it goes back to what were the goals for this season. 

+1

You'd think the guy would at least try putting together some kind of training and coaching montage by now. It's Thursday and the Jets haven't even hit the field and turned their season around yet.  It is as if this guy, I'll hilariously refer to him as Todd BOWELS, has never even heard "Push it to the Limit." 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Someone please list all the owners who didn't hire their HCs?  You're killing Woody for being the one who hired the HC, who do you think should have hired him?  Casserly or Wolf maybe? 

Maccagnan should have hired him.  

Can you draw the Jets org chart?   Everyone thinks the coach reports to the GM, but that is not true.  Everyone reports to Woody.  That is the problem.  

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Can you draw the Jets org chart?   Everyone thinks the coach reports to the GM, but that is not true.  Everyone reports to Woody.  That is the problem.  

It's the same org chart as in every org.  They don't report to Woody.  Bowles meets with Macc daily.  Not Woody. 

I do agree that Macc wasn't on board yet with the HC hire but they were up against the clock and the coach was picked by a pair of highly respected former GMs.  If it's a mistake, it happens.  But no matter who checks off on a hire the owner makes the ultimate decision.  Whether it's JJones, Mara, Rooney or Woody

13 hours ago, Clueless Owner said:

Everyone knew that the Jets were facing a tough start of the season schedule-wise.  There did not seem to be a sense of urgency to win these games on Bowles' part, and the team lacked intensity and preparation.  The lack of urgency goes back to OTA's, when it should have started.

It makes one wonder what exactly were the goals for this season.  On the surface, it would seem like a win-now team with a lot of capable veterans, with a lot of rookies thrown into the mix.  It seems like they are trying to win now while also having a partial rebuild at the same time.  Does Todd Bowles feel his job is secure because he was directly hired by Woody Johnson, and the owner would give him a lot of time because the decision to hire Bowles was his, and he wouldn't want to make himself look bad?  The situation looks confusing.. but not surprising with Woody Johnson as the owner!

Todd Bowles seems like a decent guy and I wish him well.  But there are questions about his own motivation.  And he seems like he is in over his head as a head coach, especially in New York where it is very tough, and you are always under pressure and under the microscope.  Maybe he would have been ok in a place, say, like Jacksonville, where people are more laid back and don't care as much. He also might be better as a coordinator or position coach.  The games ahead will further determine Todd Bowles' future.  But then again, the decision about his future seems to end up in the hands of Woody Johnson.

As far as the schedule lightening up, one can't assume what is going to happen.  Key injuries can happen to the Jets.  What if, say, Matt Forte or Brandon Marshall go down?  One can't assume how the other teams will play, either.  What if certain teams are highly motivated or prepared?  If the goal was to make the playoffs, there should have been a sense of urgency.  Now they are 1-4 with historical 6% chance to make the playoffs.  Then again, it goes back to what were the goals for this season. 

Fine line between urgency and panic

15 hours ago, Clueless Owner said:

I live in Jax.  They care.  You should hear the sports shows down here.  Believe it or not, Jags have very dedicated and passionate fan base.  They've been calling for Gus Bradley's head for the past 3 years and still are after this slow start with a ton of expectations. 

Anywho regarding the Jets; Bowles is just a dud.  He shows no passion or energy so naturally he lacks urgency.  Look no further than how methodical his offense is when they're down. They lack tempo as it is and I've never seen a team play so slow when behind in my life.  I mean, we're talking about a guy how punted at mid field on 4th and 2, down 14 with 7 minutes left in the game. 

This team lacks an identity.  And if you dont have an identity, how can you have goals?

What the HC says the week after a loss does not by any means have a direct relation to what then goes on in game planning, practice, and general preparations for the next game. I think Bowles long ago decided he was most comfortable dealing with the press having the persona he presents.  Not that such persona is all that far from who he is in private; that's not the point.  The point is that persona I don't think prevents him from taking steps to light a fire under his team.  Remember last year when they cut Coples, for example.

WHat concerns me more than these public pronouncements is what happened in the Steelers game.  Why did Gailey not dial up a hurry up offense in the last 20-25 minutes of the game?  That is as inexplicable as the decision to punt on 4th down.  Both show a lack not so much of urgency as what I would call situational awareness.  The situation called for a more aggressive approach by the CS, and that did not occur.

Here's the thing going forward, though - do they even understand how there is a problem?  You have to understand there's a problem before you can set about fixing it in a rational way.

Static thinking

Last year we did this as the jets, we did pretty well, we were almost good enough to make the playoffs.  This year we will be more clever, execute better and get that extra win.

Except for one thing, other teams have adjusted to what you did last year and how you played.  The Jets seem to have no Plan B and in the NFL good teams and coaches have Plan A in which we dictate the game, Plan B in which we adjust to what the other team does and Plan C in how we exploit the changes they have made.

The Jets defense is letting teams just kill us on plays that normally you are happy to give up.  In todays NFL imo you make teams beat you on the intermediate patterns, 10-20 yards.  Don't let him gash you for long instant touchdowns, don't let them dink and dunk all the way down the field.

11 hours ago, varjet said:

Every teams subordinates report to the owner. Look at the Cowboys and Redskins for example. Now THERE are some meddlesome owners. I think Mac has the power to dismiss Bowles if he feels it is appropriate. I he doesn't he should just quit now. I think Woody should have allowed his GM to hire his own HC and I would have thought Woody would have learned from Rex and Idzik's wonderful relationship.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I live in Jax.  They care.  You should hear the sports shows down here.  Believe it or not, Jags have very dedicated and passionate fan base.  They've been calling for Gus Bradley's head for the past 3 years and still are after this slow start with a ton of expectations. 

Anywho regarding the Jets; Bowles is just a dud.  He shows no passion or energy so naturally he lacks urgency.  Look no further than how methodical his offense is when they're down. They lack tempo as it is and I've never seen a team play so slow when behind in my life.  I mean, we're talking about a guy how punted at mid field on 4th and 2, down 14 with 7 minutes left in the game. 

This team lacks an identity.  And if you dont have an identity, how can you have goals?

Perfect post, says it all.

Archived