Does Bowles get fired if no significant improvement?

AFJF

Does Bowles get fired if no significant improvement?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Does Bowles get fired if no significant improvement?

2 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

No way.. if jets don't win 6 games at least he is definitely gone. It wouldn't surprise me if he gets fired before season ends.

I'd bet anything right now he doesn't get fired in mid season.  Because it makes no sense other than, no it's makes no sense. 

Bowles should be let go. Rex was the same coach his last game as he was his first. So was herm and mangini. That was my biggest problem that they never learned. Bowles I can honestly say seems like he has gotten worse from week 1 last year to now. Cut bait now and bring in Todd Haley. Guy has done a great job in Pittsburgh and seems like he will be better on his second go around as a head coach

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

They need to show something because losing is one thing, getting blown out is another. I saw an interrsting article about Mac's hiring.

Warning to Jets fans: For those of you who are angry at the floundering state of your team, read this at your own risk.

The Jets must stay the course. Team owner Woody Johnson, however restless he may be getting (and he’s been prone to having a short attention span), has no choice but to do so.

The Jets must stay the course with what’s in place, believe in head coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan and the plan they’re trying to implement — albeit a plan that doesn’t look so sound at this moment, hours after a 28-3 loss to the Cardinals on Monday night in Arizona

Yes, the optics are not good. This is understood.

Four consecutive losses by a combined score of 110-36 with an offense that has produced three touchdowns in the last three games and a defense that has vastly underachieved commensurate to the talent assembled are enough to make Jets fans want to tear everything up and start over.

There already have been rumblings Bowles is under fire, though you would never know it listening to his matter-of-fact, monotone reactions to the mess he’s overseeing.

Even before the loss to the Cardinals, there was a report about Johnson being “unhappy’’ with what he’s been watching (well, stop the presses, an owner unhappy with a 1-4 start).

Johnson, if he is becoming as “antsy’’ as his backup quarterback Geno Smith claims to be about not playing, needs to understand this: If he even considers a change in regime this year or next year, he will have turned the Jets into the Cleveland Browns, imitating their revolving door of coaches and quarterbacks.

An impatient, quick trigger with Bowles and Maccagnan by Johnson and he will be a league laughingstock.

Sure, it doesn’t look good right now, but Johnson needs to stay the course and trust the men he put in charge and trust their process.

The Jets are 1-5 entering Sunday’s home game against the Ravens and, for the sixth consecutive year, they’re not going to the playoffs.

That 10-6 finish in 2015 always felt like a bit a curse for the Bowles-Maccagnan regime in its first year, because it was somewhat of a mirage with the Jets having the easiest schedule in the league and suffering no significant injuries.

Key players (quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker) had career years, understandably raising expectations for 2016 — both inside and outside the locker room.

But reality has set in six games into a 2016 season that has included five of the first six opponents on the schedule that were playoff teams in 2015. Ironically, the Jets’ only win this season came against the Bills, whom they lost to twice last season and who happen to be the hottest team in the NFL right now.

“The reality is that we’re not a good team right now,’’ Marshall said after the loss to the Cardinals. “You have to deal with reality. Now we’re looking for solutions. None of the guys in this locker room want to be a part of the problem. Everyone is hurt. It’s an emotional locker room right now and it should be.’’

Jets fans are understandably emotional, too, ticked off at a season that has 10 games remaining and little hope for joy ahead. But when Maccagnan interviewed with Johnson, before he was offered the job, he made it clear over dinner to the Jets owner that he had a five-year plan, not a one-year, patch-it-up-and-fix-it plan.

This is why, should the Jets not suddenly embark on a winning streak and crawl back into playoff contention, it might not be the worst thing if it gets to the point they start playing Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg at quarterback in an effort to find out what they have and accelerate the growth and building process.

Bowles acknowledged on Tuesday that “it’s possible,’’ that there might come a time this season when he plays Petty and Hackenberg to get them some game experience.

“We’ve still got some stages to go before we get to that point,’’ he said. “But it’s definitely possible. I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it. Our season’s not lost.’’

If Woody went into this accepting that the competitve rebuild was worth a shot but wasn't the end all be all for this regime. He has to give Mac and Bowles more time. Bowles might only get one more year though if this disaster continues.

Mac I envision being here a long time.

13 hours ago, SOJ said:

For me this says it all... McLendon said. "They had a little more effort, a little more energy. Guys was in places to make the plays.They just wanted it more than we did."

This team is a mess. They had 12 penalties, two that were declined. Bowles made the move to Smith when the game was out of reach and should have put him in at half time. And of course, he says he is sticking with Fitzpatrick next week. 

IMHO, Bowles = Kotite for coaching ineptitude. He simply has NO answers to pull this team out of its funk. Instead of shaking things up like firing KR, CG and benching Fitz he is unbelievably staying the course gents. Frankly, I never thought I would see another Kotite HC clone but gotta tell ya the similarities and what he exhibits is as close as I have seen since those dark days.... 

finally, I truly believe that Bowles has lost the team... they pay inspired, unemotional stupid football. Put me on the fire Bowles and CS wagon NOW!!!!

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

10 hours ago, mphtrilogy said:

Over under is 3,

he just has to win 2 more games to probably get a pass..

2-14 season, might be shown the door..

3 is a tossup...

more than 3 wins, i think he is def back

1-15 probbaly canned...

Not bad, might up the over under to 4 or 5 though. Agree 1-15 he will be fired. Not sure if he definitely would be back if team ends up 4-12.

9 hours ago, tkiss24 said:

Bowles should be let go. Rex was the same coach his last game as he was his first. So was herm and mangini. That was my biggest problem that they never learned. Bowles I can honestly say seems like he has gotten worse from week 1 last year to now. Cut bait now and bring in Todd Haley. Guy has done a great job in Pittsburgh and seems like he will be better on his second go around as a head coach

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Neither was fired for their first rough patch, for their first 1-5 stretch. 

Rex had multiple bad seasons.  

Herm wasn't fired, he quit, ran to his buddy in KC. 

Mangini was let go because people hated him and the way he ran the team, not because of onfield play.

I do like Haley as a candidate though

15 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

He should be allowed to try and build a culture/program here but if we lost out the entire way he probably would be fired. 

His culture is "sit back n let's see the result". Sort of like you do game simulations on madden. You just get a result at the end. He will deserve a year when he can show that he actually 'tried' to make some adjustments. Keyword: Tried. Being successful is beyond him. This dude has no clue what's goingon, during or after the games. 

"No question (Fitz is the starter)"

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

His culture is "sit back n let's see the result". Sort of like you do game simulations on madden. You just get a result at the end. He will deserve a year when he can show that he actually 'tried' to make some adjustments. Keyword: Tried. Being successful is beyond him. This dude has no clue what's goingon, during or after the games. 

"No question (Fitz is the starter)"

Everybody talks about rebuild this rebuild that. If we are rebuilding then maybe Bowles is taking the right approach in wait and see, making no rash "fan reaction" type of moves.... because he has a plan and a process that they're going through.

I'm not defending him because things like punting against Pittsburgh are indefensible.. but the sad truth is that Fitz is probably the best qb on the team. So him sticking with Fitz over Geno is no surprise. We'll see for sure when Petty gets a shot this year.

As far as Jets coaches go, Mangini got 3 years, Edwards 4, Kotite 2 and the infamous Pete Carroll 1.  Unfortunately, the Jets this year are looking like Carroll's.

I don't want the Jets to become the Cleveland Browns.  I thought Bowles coached well enough last year to have this be the year he tuned up his weaknesses (hire a Dick Curl, etc-Gary Kubiak has a Dick Curl).  The way the Jets are playing this year is inexcusable.  Yes, they have an Idzikian roster that is overweighted in some spots and underweighted in others (creating an uncompetitive team), but they are playing at a level right now that is just offensive, and it is driven by coaching and player motivation.

Actually, I would ascribe the effort grip to be more on the defense than offense.   The offense just has no QB and RB.

I think the decision to hire Bowles is one that should have a minimum 3 year term.   Kacy Rodgers-I am not so sure.  If the Jets defense cannot turn it around before the bye, Rodgers should go and they should try out Pepper Johnson in that role.  He deserves a chance.  Kacy Rodgers may not be salvagable as a DC.  We know Bowles can be DC.  

So firing Bowles should not be off the table, but he needs to hold his assistants and players accountable and show up for work.    They need to find more guys to bench until they get the right effort on the field.

Bowles has shown me NOTHING that makes me believe he'll be a good coach. That article is CRAP when your talking about the coach. You can still have a 5 year plan for an organization without a incompetent coach.

Anyone that believes that the SYSTEMS that Bowles & Gailey have put in are just in their infancy & will get better next year are on drugs. I can't even tell you WHAT THE HELL we are as a team. 

Gaileys 2 runs up the middle & 3rd down throw for 8 yards coming out of the half is all I needed to see. Our defense under this defensive coach is HORRIFIC! People who think we should keep Bowles can't give me one thing that stands out about him to want to go on with him. 

We'll get what we deserve if we continue with the Wooden Indian. This team is undisciplined, unprepared, penalty prone, unemotional, and sleep walking through the 2nd half of the last 4 games. He inspires no one.

Archived