Your 2016-2017 New York Knicks Thread!!!

SMC

24 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I don't disagree on that. His potential is just that though. Two-way Solid PG, he's not transcending sh*t though. Smith has the game and explosiveness to  do those things Frank's not gonna do. It's a bit of a flashy vs. steady. I'm not slam dunking that they should have taken Smith. I just have a bad feeling it could turn into a what if if he stays healthy. To me, if you're at 8, and still have a chance to take "what could end up being" the best player in the entire draft, you take the risk. Frank looks like he'll be a steady, reliable PG in a few years but I can't for the life of me ever see him on an all NBA, he's just not explosive enough from what I see or understand through reading up. I agree frank gonna probably be a steady, solid PG....what I don't ageee on is the upside vs a player like Smith has. 

Smith doesn't have transcendent measurables or athleticism.  His comparable is Stevie Francis for crying out loud.  

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

I think it's a little reminiscent of when the Yanks resigned arod...although they at least got one championship out of it....but when they decided to resign melo they sealed their fate then. All else is white noise

I find it hard to correlate anything to the knicks but the last thing i would look toward is anything associated with the yankees.

38 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Why? I'm saying I'm glad they got one of the two. Worried not taking Smith could come back to bite. It's close but I would have taken Smith, who's only 19 btw. 

Don't worry, Ntilikina hurt his knee today in summer league practice.  No lie.  Can't make this up.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

I'm just giving my opinion on what I understand through what I've read and heard. I have a decent idea on what Smith brings and going off the scouting reports on Frank. Watching a little bit of video on Frank seems to fit the profile. 

Waiting 2-3 yrs for a steady solid PG could be tough if Smith turns into the next Derrick Rose pre injury during that time 

I hear you bud.  Similar to when they took Porzingis, I'm going to just see how it plays out.  It's always easier to associate the known names to be the better prospect but I know nothing about the French Frank.

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

I hear you bud.  Similar to when they took Porzingis, I'm going to just see how it plays out.  It's always easier to associate the known names to be the better prospect but I know nothing about the French Frank.

Yep. Not like I care if I'm wrong, just small talk and banter. I'm not even a big basketball guy. Just casual fan although I was a diehard in HS and college in the 90's.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

You got to tip your hat.  He's brought the entire franchise to it's knees and homey still holds them hostage.  It is, as you said, impressive. 

Athletes are bad at math. Shocking that Anthony was crazy enough to think Dolan would simply write him a $50 million check, no questions asked,  and let him leave for nothing. Jackson was leaving no matter what, and $24 million is still less than $50 million. Anthony is about to understand "Be careful what you wish for; you may get it". 

29 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Athletes are bad at math. Shocking that Anthony was crazy enough to think Dolan would simply write him a $50 million check, no questions asked,  and let him leave for nothing. Jackson was leaving no matter what, and $24 million is still less than $50 million. Anthony is about to understand "Be careful what you wish for; you may get it". 

Also, executive/coaches contracts are not the same as players contracts.  Usually they have non-compete provisions which prohibit the coach/executive from taking employment elsewhere.  So teams can negotiate a lower buy-out figure without having to be on the hook for the whole remained of the contract.  That's what happened with Larry Brown.  I wouldn't be surprised if Phil and Dolan agreed to a buyout at less than $24M

58 minutes ago, Bugg said:

I'm pretty certain Melo knew Dolan never would. His main goal from the get-go was to outlast Phil. No one has it easier than Carmelo. No expectations, no accountability and no pressure. He's got his eye on 30K points and Dolan is the guy that's gonna let him keep shooting and stayme7o.

Isola on PTI discussing how everything just added up to such a laughingstock over time. Falling asleep at draft workouts, alienating Porzingis, trashing players directly to the media and on twitter (which is preposterous not only as a team pres but really more as just a grown man). He made himself look like such a jackass over the last two years with the way he handled Melo, which is bizarre considering he's the guy who paid him. You knew sh*t had hit the fan with that press conference after the season, where he might as well have been speaking in tongues with that nonstop gibberish. Firing Phil is fine, it just makes no sense that you'd pick up the guy's contract and then let him make another draft pick for the triangle right before you let him go.

It's amazing how bad the Jets can bumble perfectly reasonable firings and cuts, and then see how much worse the Knicks are at that.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

So Dolan nixed the buyout? Has there been a more appropriate tandem in sports history than Dolan and Melo? 

True, but it made more financial sense to eat Phil's  $24 million than be on the hook for Melo's  $54 million when Melo has an opt out in 2018. Reports are the Knicks still want to trade Melo so they don't have to pay.

13 minutes ago, SMC said:

True, but it made more financial sense to eat Phil's  $24 million than be on the hook for Melo's  $54 million when Melo has an opt out in 2018. Reports are the Knicks still want to trade Melo so they don't have to pay.

What's even more bizarre is Jimmy picked up Phil's two year option a few months back. 

Melo's not getting dealt. The negative level of caring by him and the amount of guys he's gotten fired is truly remarkable. I've never seen anything like it.

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

What's even more bizarre is Jimmy picked up Phil's two year option a few months back. 

Melo's not getting dealt. The negative level of caring by him and the amount of guys he's gotten fired is truly remarkable. I've never seen anything like it.

I think Dolan was more worried about the Phil-KP feud escalating even further