Bench-a-Ryan Day

j4jets

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fitz does do pretty decent against very bad teams.. I don't know what Bowles said to him at half but it worked.. maybe he thratened to bench him.. Fitz seems to play decent when he is pissed at recent benching, or threatened he will be benched again.. how he has barely survived in this league for 10 yrs.. 

7 hours ago, j4jets said:

Lol you'd think he was Seattle or something. Oh yeah, he shat the bed in that one as well. 

Seattle game Fitzpatrick's first pick was not his fault (WR took the blame), second pick was while he was pressing to come back from two scores down due to his lousy secondary getting torched repeatedly (Revis).

It is hard for a 34 year old journeyman quarterback on his 6th team in 11 years to win any games in the NFL, let alone those where he is trailing by two scores in the fourth quarter.  We didn't sign Brett Favre.

SAR I

7 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Fitz does do pretty decent against very bad teams.. I don't know what Bowles said to him at half but it worked.. maybe he thratened to bench him.. Fitz seems to play decent when he is pissed at recent benching, or threatened he will be benched again.. how he has barely survived in this league for 10 yrs.. 

Not to digress here because I don't have the numbers on targets to Anderson, specifically in the second half, but lots of posters here think the Jets should get Anderson more involved in the O.  Sure looked in the first half like they were doing that, with no real payoff.  Which means while Enunwa stepping up is great, he basically is merely going some distance to replace Decker, and the Jets still do not have a reliable third option at receiver with Decker out.

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Seattle game Fitzpatrick's first pick was not his fault (WR took the blame), second pick was while he was pressing to come back from two scores down due to his lousy secondary getting torched repeatedly (Revis).

It is hard for a 34 year old journeyman quarterback on his 6th team in 11 years to win any games in the NFL, let alone those where he is trailing by two scores in the fourth quarter.  We didn't sign Brett Favre.

SAR I

The secondary sure sucked in the Seattle game, but the pass rush was also non-existent.

7 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

When the Jets have a lead, when the running game is working, and when our secondary doesn't give up massive home run touchdowns a journeyman like Ryan Fitzpatrick can game-manage us to victory.  And as evidenced last year, with two legitimate NFL wide receivers like Marshall and Decker he can even thrive in a second half comeback situation too.

So when we play elite teams, when we can't run, when Decker is gone for the season, and when our secondary is the worst in the league, it is no surprise that our quarterback struggles.  We aren't built to throw the ball 45 times, we don't have the receiving talent for that, we don't have the quarterback for that.

SAR I

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

When the Jets have a lead, when the running game is working, and when our secondary doesn't give up massive home run touchdowns a journeyman like Ryan Fitzpatrick can game-manage us to victory.  And as evidenced last year, with two legitimate NFL wide receivers like Marshall and Decker he can even thrive in a second half comeback situation too.

So when we play elite teams, when we can't run, when Decker is gone for the season, and when our secondary is the worst in the league, it is no surprise that our quarterback struggles.  We aren't built to throw the ball 45 times, we don't have the receiving talent for that, we don't have the quarterback for that.

SAR I

For the running game to work properly you need decent RB's and OL you also need an opposing teams defense to not stack the box because they know your weak armed QB cant stretch the field and beat them deep. 

Go buy the book I suggested and stop embarrassing yourself. 

joewilly12 

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

For the running game to work properly you need decent RB's and OL you also need an opposing teams defense to not stack the box because they know your weak armed QB cant stretch the field and beat them deep. 

Go buy the book I suggested and stop embarrassing yourself.

Chicken and egg not going to work with me.

We have two decent RB's and an OL that has had success in spots this season, the running game is what led our journeyman quarterback to have a record breaking season last year, not the other way around, that's how it works with a journeyman.

The Jets are built to win on a shut-down defense, a power running game, and a game-managing quarterback.  One of those three has been meeting expectations all year.

SAR I

17 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

If Petty isn't hurt I'd like to see him start. Hard to imagine he could be much worse.

The teams on the schedule for the next several weeks are the types our defense and our journeyman quarterback can beat so it's prudent to allow them to do that without being encumbered by a raw prospect returning from injury.  We've also seen how rushing a quarterback into service on a weak team can lead to his early demise.

While we'd all like to see Petty in real NFL action in order to validate him, the last thing we need is for him to come in unprepared, play poorly, get booed by our impatient fanbase, lose confidence, etc.  This is how things usually work with the Jets, it's the script that's led us nowhere for decades.  Let's try to do it the right way this time, let the kids develop on their timeline.

SAR I

The defense has not been even close to expectations. Playing well below their talent level.

Fitz played like Fitz yesterday. He's not a good qb but at times you have to like his effort. Going head first for that first down was impressive. Not smart, but impressive.

We need our special teams to make some positive plays.

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Chicken and egg not going to work with me.

We have two decent RB's and an OL that has had success in spots this season, the running game is what led our journeyman quarterback to have a record breaking season last year, not the other way around, that's how it works with a journeyman.

The Jets are built to win on a shut-down defense, a power running game, and a game-managing quarterback.  One of those three has been meeting expectations all year.

SAR I

Success against who the weaker teams in the NFL havent we been down this road before 2015. 

We are relying on a 31 yr old RB and a 34 yr old QB to dominate. 

Our defense is poorly coached and our head coach cant make the right decision if it hit him in the face, 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Success against who the weaker teams in the NFL havent we been down this road before 2015. 

We are relying on a 31 yr old RB and a 34 yr old QB to dominate. 

Our defense is poorly coached and our head coach cant make the right decision if it hit him in the face, 

I agree with this post on all counts because it holds the proper parties accountable (D, HC, RB, QB in that order).

SAR I

52 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Not a fan, just pointing out that he's not the problem.  At least Mehta is catching on, great article destroying Revis in the NYDN for a change.

SAR I

When  you have a QB thats leading the league in ints, allowing TDs on special teams and offense (pick 6, fumble return etc) and a D that is still an average D, its safe to assume the D isn't the reason we started 1-5. 

9 minutes ago, j4jets said:

When  you have a QB thats leading the league in ints, allowing TDs on special teams and offense (pick 6, fumble return etc) and a D that is still an average D, its safe to assume the D isn't the reason we started 1-5. 

Stats are useless when the eye test is so clear.  Our D is only average against lousy opponents like Buffalo, Baltimore, and Cleveland.  They are terrible against the better teams.  And our secondary is failing in epic fashion, could be the worst secondary in team history.

And if you are fair to yourself and the Jets and take the outlier Kansas City game out of it, Fitzpatrick is averaging 0.82 INT per game which is quite acceptable.  "Leading the lead in interceptions" is a stat used only in discussion forums to win a boo-hoo Geno Myhero argument.  Geno's done, get onboard already.

SAR I

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The teams on the schedule for the next several weeks are the types our defense and our journeyman quarterback can beat so it's prudent to allow them to do that without being encumbered by a raw prospect returning from injury.  We've also seen how rushing a quarterback into service on a weak team can lead to his early demise.

While we'd all like to see Petty in real NFL action in order to validate him, the last thing we need is for him to come in unprepared, play poorly, get booed by our impatient fanbase, lose confidence, etc.  This is how things usually work with the Jets, it's the script that's led us nowhere for decades.  Let's try to do it the right way this time, let the kids develop on their timeline.

SAR I

You could also make the argument that this would be a lower pressure situation to start him -- much better than starting a season with him.  The hardest part of the schedule is behind us and we are essentially out of it.  And he isn't a rookie, he's been in the league for a year and a half.

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Stats are useless when the eye test is so clear.  Our D is only average against lousy opponents like Buffalo, Baltimore, and Cleveland.  They are terrible against the better teams.  And our secondary is failing in epic fashion, could be the worst secondary in team history.

And if you are fair to yourself and the Jets and take the outlier Kansas City game out of it, Fitzpatrick is averaging 0.82 INT per game which is quite acceptable.  "Leading the lead in interceptions" is a stat used only in discussion forums to win a boo-hoo Geno Myhero argument.  Geno's done, get onboard already.

SAR I

Yet you continue to tell us how 5 ints in 7 games is acceptable, not counting the KC "outlier". 

31 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

So then being fair remove the outlier Buffalo game and what do Fitz's stats look like :o.

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Yet you continue to tell us how 5 ints in 7 games is acceptable, not counting the KC "outlier". 

Tom Brady has thrown 150 interceptions in 14 years or 10.71 interceptions per year or 0.67 INT per game.

This year, Ryan Fitzpatrick is sitting at 5 INT in 7 games or 0.71 INT per game (KC outlier removed) which is hardly a crisis.

Last year, Ryan Fitzpatrick had 15 INT in 15 games or 1.00 INT per game.

He's actually improved in the interception department despite having to play catch-up in every game against the toughest schedule in the NFL, throwing the ball around like Dan Fouts to a half-assed receiving corps to try to win miracle games down by multiple scores in the 4th quarter.

Fitz is doing very well as a journeyman quarterback in New York.  Focus your hatred on other areas of the team.  Plenty to go around.

SAR I

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

So then being fair remove the outlier Buffalo game and what do Fitz's stats look like :o.

That's a fair request.  So put in 0.71 INT into the Buffalo game if it makes you happy.  That's his season INT average per game (KC adjusted).  It makes him about 1 INT per every 3 games worse than Tom Brady's career average.  His INT's aren't the problem.  It's not what's killing the Jets.  It's our crappy defense and our lame rushing attack against elite teams.

SAR I

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

And just as a fun sidebar:

You lobbied hard for Geno Smith who threw 36 INT in 30 games started, an average of 1.20 per game vs. Fitzpatrick's 0.71 which is 69% more INT per game.  So when you want to take shots at Ryan Fitzpatrick in the context of being sad about Geno Smith's ejection, you may want to find another metric that suits your argument more accurately.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Tom Brady has thrown 150 interceptions in 14 years or 10.71 interceptions per year or 0.67 INT per game.

This year, Ryan Fitzpatrick is sitting at 5 INT in 7 games or 0.71 INT per game (KC outlier removed) which is hardly a crisis.

He's actually improved in the interception department despite having to play catch-up in every game against the toughest schedule in the NFL, throwing the ball around like Dan Fouts to a half-assed receiving corps to try to win miracle games down by multiple scores in the 4th quarter.

Fitz is doing very well as a journeyman quarterback in New York.  Focus your hatred on other areas of the team.  Plenty to go around.

SAR I

He had to play catchup again yesterday too. 

SAR I

deep-impact-gif.gif

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

And just as a fun sidebar:

You lobbied hard for Geno Smith who threw 36 INT in 30 games started, an average of 1.20 per game vs. Fitzpatrick's 0.71 which is 69% more INT per game.  So when you want to take shots at Ryan Fitzpatrick in the context of being sad about Geno Smith's ejection, you may want to find another metric that suits your argument more accurately.

SAR I

lol, you continue to focus on the 5 ints in 7 games when its more like 11 in 8. Using your same metrics, Fitz has thrown 14 ints in the last 9 games. My math might be a little weak but thats about one and a half int a game. Geno, since his benching in 2014, has 5 ints in his last 7 games along with 9 TDs. Interesting, thats the same 0.71 ratio you're resting your hat on for Fitz, except there is no outlier here. 

If it makes you feel any better, I've wanted Fitz to start since Geno's injury. However, when your journeyman QB throws for 30 yards on 14 attempts against one of the leagues worst team, its time to move on. He did play well after the half, so I guess thats that. 

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Yeah on the Petty angle:

I normally don't get into considering the reaction of Jet fans, because usually it is at least somewhat divided overall.  There are fans and haters of many of the players, and the HC, FO Homers and FO haters and those in between.

But I do tend to agree that if the playoffs are still theoretically possible, and they play Petty and he loses games, the fans would be rather likely to turn against him, and quickly.  I think that is worth considering as much as I agree both that it remains unlikely that the Jets have a realistic shot at the playoffs and also htat Fitzpatrick has no future with this team past the 7th loss, certainly the 8th.

29 minutes ago, j4jets said:

However, when your journeyman QB throws for 30 yards on 14 attempts against one of the leagues worst team, its time to move on. He did play well after the half, so I guess thats that. 

Now you're onto something.  I was partially expecting Bowles to bench Fitzpatrick at halftime as I thought he must have a concussion after the helmet hit or that could have been a convenient cover story and I was surprised he put him back out there.

It's definitely time to move on, just a matter of whether it comes in November or if it comes in February.  Worst thing we can do is set Petty up to fail, need his confidence high going into camp next year.

SAR I

Now you're onto something.  I was partially expecting Bowles to bench Fitzpatrick at halftime as I thought he must have a concussion after the helmet hit or that could have been a convenient cover story and I was surprised he put him back out there.

It's definitely time to move on, just a matter of whether it comes in November or if it comes in February.  Worst thing we can do is set Petty up to fail, need his confidence high going into camp next year.

SAR I

interestingly, there was a bowles quote about hack, that he's not far behind petty.  maybe that's why they waited so long to decide who the backup would be.  could it actually be that hack's time with o'brien has accelerated his learning curve so that he's even with petty soon?

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

interestingly, there was a bowles quote about hack, that he's not far behind petty.  maybe that's why they waited so long to decide who the backup would be.  could it actually be that hack's time with o'brien has accelerated his learning curve so that he's even with petty soon?

Hack was this regime's 2nd round pick.  They are going to continue hyping him till they're gone

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

This is insanely stupid. 

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

What I find interesting is that there are still some fans who are backing Fitz.

Well, speaking for myself, the ONLY reason I'm good with seeing Fitz  out there is if Petty/Hack isn't ready, and play poorly the mob will quickly turn on them and boo them out before they actually get a chance.

Looking at  the schedule I suspect we'll see Petty against the Colts.  

Thought for sure we'd see Petty at half time yesterday.  After he took the shot to the head Bowles could have pulled him.  If Petty wasn't ready and stunk it up, he could have brought Fitz back against the Fish with out creating a big stir.  

If Petty rallied the team  he could remain the starter. Think Bowles missed an excellent win-win situation 

Archived