Bench-a-Ryan Day

j4jets

11 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

interestingly, there was a bowles quote about hack, that he's not far behind petty.  maybe that's why they waited so long to decide who the backup would be.  could it actually be that hack's time with o'brien has accelerated his learning curve so that he's even with petty soon?

Absolutley is the reason, in my opinion. Petty's training in college didn't translate to the NFL anywhere near as well as Hack's did. From all accounts , it seems Hack's issues are mechanical in nature, not talent related. To switch gears for a second, I remember a young pitcher who came up in the 90's, had all the tools, but couldn't throw the ball over the plate consistently. He was sent back to single 'A' ball, to be taught how to pitch. He paid his dues, got better, and came back up and had a pretty darn good career. Oh, his name? Roy Halladay.  Point is, Macc and the scouts obviously see something special in Hack. Time will tell if they are right.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Well, speaking for myself, the ONLY reason I'm good with seeing Fitz  out there is if Petty/Hack isn't ready, and play poorly the mob will quickly turn on them and boo them out before they actually get a chance.

Looking at  the schedule I suspect we'll see Petty against the Colts.  

Thought for sure we'd see Petty at half time yesterday.  After he took the shot to the head Bowles could have pulled him.  If Petty wasn't ready and stunk it up, he could have brought Fitz back against the Fish with out creating a big stir.  

If Petty rallied the team  he could remain the starter. Think Bowles missed an excellent win-win situation 

If Enunwa doesn't make that play to save the INT early in 3rd q, you would have gotten same result.

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Absolutley is the reason, in my opinion. Petty's training in college didn't translate to the NFL anywhere near as well as Hack's did. From all accounts , it seems Hack's issues are mechanical in nature, not talent related. To switch gears for a second, I remember a young pitcher who came up in the 90's, had all the tools, but couldn't throw the ball over the plate consistently. He was sent back to single 'A' ball, to be taught how to pitch. He paid his dues, got better, and came back up and had a pretty darn good career. Oh, his name? Roy Halladay.  Point is, Macc and the scouts obviously see something special in Hack. Time will tell if they are right.

I agree I would have thought though they would have went with 3 qbs so the inexperienced guys could have gotten more reps Geno getting hurt was the key for this going forward. Why play a guy who had a bad preseason once the guy who had the better preseason got healthy

If Enunwa doesn't make that play to save the INT early in 3rd q, you would have gotten same result.

Not sure what that has to do with my post, but yeah your probably right.  If Enunwa doesn't score that ballsto the wall TD you probably don't get the same result.  If Fitz doesn't audible at the line and change the play on Forte's TD you probably don't get the same result.  if Powell doesn't make a great run for a TD you probably don't get the same result.

Just now, flgreen said:

Not sure what that has to do with my post, but yeah your probably right.  If Enunwa doesn't score that ballsto the wall TD you probably don't get the same result.  If Fitz doesn't audible at the line and change the play on Forte's TD you probably don't get the same result.  if Powell doesn't make a great run for a TD you probably don't get the same result.

What I mean is I thought same thing you did, that after that horrible 1st half, Petty would start. Bowles gave him benefit of doubt to start 2nd half. He throws that pick, Fitz is gone, maybe for good. I really think that play changed this season.

23 hours ago, j4jets said:

Can this ivy league idiot be any worse? I wouldn't doubt it if he was THE worst QB to be playing in the NFL right now and that includes all the bench players. One of the luckiest QB to ever take the field.

And that doofus HC of ours is either blind, or as delusional as the Ivy idiot. Either way, we are in a win-win situation. Either we win, or we lose and continue to lose until we lose this dumb HC and his man crush QB.

Anyone still wanna debate how Ryan gives us the best chance to win?

But he broke records....

What I mean is I thought same thing you did, that after that horrible 1st half, Petty would start. Bowles gave him benefit of doubt to start 2nd half. He throws that pick, Fitz is gone, maybe for good. I really think that play changed this season.

I agree.  That was a great heads up play.

Have my fingers crossed, but Enunwa is starting to look like perhaps a special player

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

interestingly, there was a bowles quote about hack, that he's not far behind petty.  maybe that's why they waited so long to decide who the backup would be.  could it actually be that hack's time with o'brien has accelerated his learning curve so that he's even with petty soon?

I'd be thrilled either way, you look at last nights Dallas/Philadelphia game and it makes you angry that we aren't there yet.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Klecko73isGod said:

This is insanely stupid.

Normally I'd agree with you but in this case it's really not.  Simple point being that the interception theory is overblown as it's skewed by a single game that is quite an outlier even for a pedestrian journeyman like Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He averages 2 picks every 3 games and they almost always occur late in the game when down by a score or two, not atypical of other NFL quarterbacks good or bad.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Normally I'd agree with you but in this case it's really not.  Simple point being that the interception theory is overblown as it's skewed by a single game that is quite an outlier even for a pedestrian journeyman like Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He averages 2 picks every 3 games and they almost always occur late in the game when down by a score or two, not atypical of other NFL quarterbacks good or bad.

SAR I

It doesn't work that way. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick sucks BECAUSE he is capable of such awful performances. 

The pattern of his career is competent play followed by sheer ineptitude. Even the year where he made his name with a solid start in Buffalo that earned him a ridiculous contract after four games ended with him leading the league in interceptions. 

Piss poor play from Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't an anomaly, its a feature. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

If you remove the Jets losses this year, they're 3-0.

+1

It's what helps me sleep at night.  I almost feel like for the 50th anniversary season of Super Bowl III if we all act like our last game is the AFC Championship Game and we all celebrate like we are going to the Super Bowl it will feel like it is actually happening.  Perhaps I can get my son to program an app for one of those virtual reality headsets too, so we can have imaginary fireworks and confetti, can put an imaginary podium at midfield, we can even get the local sportswriters onboard and the SNY postgame show.  Do you actually have to win the conference to feel like you have?  Methinks not.

SAR I

1 minute ago, Klecko73isGod said:

It doesn't work that way. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick sucks BECAUSE he is capable of such awful performances. 

The pattern of his career is competent play followed by sheer ineptitude. Even the year where he made his name with a solid start in Buffalo that earned him a ridiculous contract after four games ended with him leading the league in interceptions. 

Piss poor play from Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't an anomaly, its a feature. 

tshirt_zpsf8cc3a80.jpg

Wait.  Next you are going to tell me we didn't go to the Super Bowl in 2010, yes?

SAR I

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I'd be thrilled either way, you look at last nights Dallas/Philadelphia game and it makes you angry that we aren't there yet.

SAR I

at this point i don't believe petty isn't ready.  and i think hack will be ready sooner than later.  this is all about bowles believing he can beat bad teams and beat NE once and get into the playoffs.  he's leaning heavily on the vets and they almost collectively crapped the bed vs. cleveland.

Just now, section314 said:

All true. My point is, let's give it time to see what we passed on Prescott for.

I want to see what Bryce Petty can do first as far as Hackenburg we spent a 2nd round draft pick on a guy that hasnt even sniffed the playing field this season not to smart. 

19 hours ago, SAR I said:

16 of 34 228 YDS 1 TD 0 INT

4th game of 8 with zero interceptions.

6th game of 8 with 1 or less interceptions.

Take away the KC game, that's 5 interceptions in 8 games, averaging only 0.62 INT per game.

6th game of 8 with at least 1 TD.

Fantastic numbers for a journeyman. 

SAR I

How about the bad passes behind the WR or the one the Q brokeup that would have been another int... he sucks period. 

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I want to see what Bryce Petty can do first as far as Hackenburg we spent a 2nd round draft pick on a guy that hasnt even sniffed the playing field this season not to smart. 

I want to see Petty also, the sooner the better. Just saying it's crazy to write off a 21 year old that hasn't even, as you say, "sniffed' the field. There were probably a fair amount of Lion fans who said after 2 Jet AFC championship appearances...."can't believe we passed on Sanchez for Stafford."  

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Just now, section314 said:

I want to see Petty also, the sooner the better. Just saying it's crazy to write off a 21 year old that hasn't even, as you say, "sniffed' the field. There were probably a fair amount of Lion fans who said after 2 Jet AFC championship appearances...."can't believe we passed on Sanchez for Stafford."  

Stafford isn't the Lions problem. 

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Tom Brady has thrown 150 interceptions in 14 years or 10.71 interceptions per year or 0.67 INT per game.

This year, Ryan Fitzpatrick is sitting at 5 INT in 7 games or 0.71 INT per game (KC outlier removed) which is hardly a crisis.

Last year, Ryan Fitzpatrick had 15 INT in 15 games or 1.00 INT per game.

He's actually improved in the interception department despite having to play catch-up in every game against the toughest schedule in the NFL, throwing the ball around like Dan Fouts to a half-assed receiving corps to try to win miracle games down by multiple scores in the 4th quarter.

Fitz is doing very well as a journeyman quarterback in New York.  Focus your hatred on other areas of the team.  Plenty to go around.

SAR I

Sorry but you do not get do overs ...KC is viable stat so now do the math...

17 minutes ago, SOJ said:

How about the bad passes behind the WR or the one the Q brokeup that would have been another int... he sucks period. 

Tom Brady makes bad passes sometimes, his wide receivers break up interceptions too. 

So these bad passes didn't hurt us, they don't count. 

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SOJ said:

The Kansas City game was an outlier, Fitzpatrick had a terrible game, but to make the playoffs you can lose as many as 5 games, turns out this is one of them. 

So this game didn't hurt us, it doesn't count. 

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

Tom Brady makes bad passes sometimes, his wide receivers break up interceptions too. 

These bad passes didn't hurt us, they don't count. 

SAR I

Are you really comparing Ryan Fitzpatrick to Tom Brady. 

Have you been checked by CID since returning from Hong Kong

15 minutes ago, SOJ said:

No one is talking  about do overs.  No one disputes the KC game. But by every measure it was an outlier.  Why, there are a number of posters here who felt and still feel Bowles should have pulled him from that game shortly after the half.  In which case  that overall effort would have been limited.

In the last game Fitz did not throw an interception. SMith fans all off season wanted to talk about the last game of the 15 season as the most recent Fitz effort.  Jus sayin...

1 hour ago, Klecko73isGod said:

You actually bought that?

jetschamp_zpsd38cce81.jpg

hood_zpsbfe99a94.jpg

tshirt_zpsf8cc3a80.jpg

Yes.

And the hat and the hoodie. Matched set. I call it the Bart Scott Can Wait Collection. 

About a month after the loss I was at my daughter's class play and I saw a kid wearing the hoodie. I asked where he got it and he said the local Marshalls and they had the t-shirt too so I ran over and bought all I could find, about 8 of each.   The hat didn't turn up until a year later, and that was on eBay for a pretty penny. 

SAR I

Archived