Random Positive \ Thoughts on Macc

Maxman

12 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Mac isn't that bad...and based on the original OP's point..neither was Idzik  There's talent on this team...Not great, but enough to win..except we don't have QB...it's been said so many times but it's the truth.  No way around it.

We had a QB that was head and shoulders better than Fitz, yet our HC insisted we go with the old and untrusted Fitz. If anyone wanna argue how Fitz was EVER better than Geno, I'm right here. 

21 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I think Macc is the man for the job & based on how he held out on giving Fitz a multi year contract & gave him a drop dead date to sign it, he's smarter than your average bear. He wasn't fooled by 10-6. 

Save us any BS related to the Fitz contract please. He gave Fitz $12mil guaranteed  let that sink in. 

Such a shame that Sheldon is just a thug idiot. When Jerry Jones doesn't want you that pretty much says it all. Jerry loves his draft picks. So let's not be too hard on Macc, not only is he trying to clean up the Idzik mess, 2 of the highest defensive picks that are still on the team (Pryor & Sheldon) have issues, Pryor is a bad football player & Sheldon is a complete jerk.

Oh yeah, the Jerry Jones seal of approval! IIRC, Jerry actually did want him. Maybe Bowles was trying to swing for the fences asking for Romo? Yeah, that wasn't happening. We don't know what the trade talks involved but Jerry wanted Sheldon. 

The rest of your post is pretty spot on though. Just don't agree with the Fitz and Sheldon situation. 

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Nah man, if the Second year GM doesn't pick my personal choice at QB, everything he does sucks.  Especially when he picks a guy like Leo who, as we all know, doesn't have high SPARQ scores so he'll never be great.  

Thank goodness the posters who took Geno's benching personally are in the minority of the minority.

Heres the best part...all offseason we had to hear "Geno didn't suck, he just needed weapons". 

@Maxman starts a positive thread about the weapons in place for when a QB finally arrives, but that "doesn't matter".

Can't make it up, folks.

6 hours ago, win4ever said:

The talent on offense is actually the best that I remember in a long time for us.  I think collectively, this is better than the Braylon/Santonio/Crothery group we had because we have so much depth.  

Marshall is a beast

Decker is a great No. 2

Enunwa is really emerging as a great No. 3.  He's a match up nightmare because of his size and speed.  I think his blocking ability is a bit over-rated, but he's someone that will really benefit from a QB that can throw deep.  If you will notice, he does this stutter step move often when he gets near a defender.  It's a good move if the defender has 3 zones to worry about (deep, left, or right) but right now they don't respect the deep aspect of it, which is why he gets wide open down the field at times.  As long as we have a good QB, I think the space given to him will improve significantly, and then he can really take advantage.  

Anderson is a major surprise to me because I didn't think he would hold up at this size, but he had.  Besides the size, he has good traits, and I see a lot of similarities to Will Fuller of the Texans.  Both has a bit of an issue with drops.  

Peake is also interesting as well because he has the size/speed combination to really help out.  I saw him open a few times, where Fitz didn't look towards him.  He has issues with drops as well, but there is really good potential here.  

Jalin Marshall is shifty, he really reminds me of a poor man's Edleman, because he just has this innate ability to make the first guy miss.  He's not super fast, but just shifty with the first move.   

Devin Smith is another one that I think will shine with a QB that can throw deep.  Coming out, he was one the best WRs I've seen with tracking the deep ball.  

There are 7 receivers here and honestly I'd take every single one of them over the duds we threw out there three years ago.  

The biggest problem is that, we need a QB that can throw deep, but be fairly mobile if need be.  Petty is surprisingly mobile in college, although I'm not sure how that translates over.  All the speed on offense means that defenses will keep a 2 safety look, which opens up intermediate routes.  However, if teams can rush three and drop lineman back into coverage at times if the QB is immobile, so the QB would at least have to be a threat to take a few yards if he can.  

I would love to see Petty play some more.  His biggest issue is that he was essentially a one read QB at Baylor.  What I gathered from his Gruden camp video was that, the whole system was based on pre-snap reads.  At the line of scrimmage, he identifies the weak part of the defense and focuses in on a certain player as a read.  If the defender does X, he goes with Play 1, if he does Y, he goes with Play 2.  It's a very a easy read combination, and the speed in which they lineup forces defenses to be generic.  That's his biggest knock.  However, that's basically what Fitz does week in and week out anyway, so it can't be that different.  Petty has the arm strength to go deep often and keep defenses honest so I would like to see how he does in this offense.  It's been a year and a half, so he should have learned how to read defenses better and go through progressions by now.  

Yes our WR's are great we have depth all minus a decent QB to throw them the ball  Until we insert a decent QB nothing changes here.

7 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Save us any BS related to the Fitz contract please. He gave Fitz $12mil guaranteed  let that sink in. 

Oh yeah, the Jerry Jones seal of approval! IIRC, Jerry actually did want him. Maybe Bowles was trying to swing for the fences asking for Romo? Yeah, that wasn't happening. We don't know what the trade talks involved but Jerry wanted Sheldon. 

The rest of your post is pretty spot on though. Just don't agree with the Fitz and Sheldon situation. 

I agree with you I didn't want Fitz but our coach did & don't ever dismiss what our azz hat owner wanted (Fitz to fill the seats because Geno was so hated). The Jets could have just picked up Foles @ 1.8 & owed zero in 2017. That was the move to be made & let him and Geno battle it out. I think our record could still be 3-6 with Foles at QB, lol. You don't think Sheldon being suspended 5 games in the last 2 years hasn't hurt Maccs trade value with other teams?

Macc inherited more of a mess than we even knew. Mo was a mistake but you gotta spend money somewhere & Mo and Leo will wreak more havoc if Macc can find a pass rusher (we have zero edge pressure which allows Olines to just crash inside & swallow up our DTs.) You know Woody was behind Revis, now Macc has a 17 million CB playing like sh*t. 

Forte hasn't been bad, he's been the least of our problems. McClendon hasn't been bad. Clady was a move out of necessity after the Dbrick retirement, he could have done much worse there. Lee & Jenkins are really young, raw & need experience. When you go young your going to have growing pains. We're an unbalanced team with younger players and a slew of over the hill, overpaid veterans. 2017 starts the true rebuild. I'll guarantee you Macc only signs younger Free Agents. No Matt Forte type of signings.

He tried to keep rolling after a 10-6 year, but the wheels fell off the old guys and the injury bug hurt the youngsters. Jenkins missed a lot of camp, Lee is hurt now, Smith tore his ACL last year, Petty got hurt badly in the last preseason game. A lot of things have gone wrong but as much as it sucks, having another draft with high draft picks is really better for our future rebuild anyway. None of 2016 wins will carry over into 2017. The wins we get in 2017 & beyond will be the building blocks for this NEW Jet squad going forward with our new QB, whoever that ends up being.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I agree with you I didn't want Fitz but our coach did & don't ever dismiss what our azz hat owner wanted (Fitz to fill the seats because Geno was so hated). The Jets could have just picked up Foles @ 1.8 & owed zero in 2017. That was the move to be made & let him and Geno battle it out. I think our record could still be 3-6 with Foles at QB, lol. You don't think Sheldon being suspended 5 games in the last 2 years hasn't hurt Maccs trade value with other teams?

Again, I doubt Woody went up to Macc and said "I want Fitz at any cost". As for the seats being filled, that's pretty much a guarantee regardless. I don't buy the "Woody wanted Fitz" theory. Cuz if he did, he would've had his guy before the FA started. Why? Here's why:

Woody: I want Fitz at any cost cuz I need to sell a few extra tickets. Im almost broke ya know?
Macc: Sure. Let me wait till the training camp starts and see how it plays out.
Woody: Yeah, I want Fitz at any cost but sure, lets wait. 

Fitz wasn't filling any seats. And Sheldon being suspended 5 games isn't as big of an issue with the way the suspensions have been handled and overturned lately. 

Macc inherited more of a mess than we even knew. Mo was a mistake but you gotta spend money somewhere & Mo and Leo will wreak more havoc if Macc can find a pass rusher (we have zero edge pressure which allows Olines to just crash inside & swallow up our DTs.) You know Woody was behind Revis, now Macc has a 17 million CB playing like sh*t. 

Macc inherited a pretty decent core with about $50 mil of cap space and a top draft pick. And as for Revis, we had the worst secondary in 2014. It was anyone's guess we were going to go after the best CB in the market with over $50mil in cap space, Woody or no Woody.

Forte hasn't been bad, he's been the least of our problems. McClendon hasn't been bad. Clady was a move out of necessity after the Dbrick retirement, he could have done much worse there. Lee & Jenkins are really young, raw & need experience. When you go young your going to have growing pains. We're an unbalanced team with younger players and a slew of over the hill, overpaid veterans. 2017 starts the true rebuild. I'll guarantee you Macc only signs younger Free Agents. No Matt Forte type of signings.

Well, truth be told, we have no cap space for 2017 unless and until we release a few starters, which is likely. So yeah, at that point, you have no choice but to go with unproven younger players. 

He tried to keep rolling after a 10-6 year, but the wheels fell off the old guys and the injury bug hurt the youngsters. Jenkins missed a lot of camp, Lee is hurt now, Smith tore his ACL last year, Petty got hurt badly in the last preseason game. A lot of things have gone wrong but as much as it sucks, having another draft with high draft picks is really better for our future rebuild anyway. None of 2016 wins will carry over into 2017. The wins we get in 2017 & beyond will be the building blocks for this NEW Jet squad going forward with our new QB, whoever that ends up being.

Injuries are part of the game. We didn't have a major injury outside of the Decker injury. Where our FO failed this year was not having a replacement for Cro and not holding a competition at QB. The 3-4 days of partial competition they did hold, Geno owned Fitz. The FO didn't want to admit they dropped the ball by paying Fitz $12mil to sit on the bench. That's where my beef lies with the FO. The entire year, we were fed the BS that Fitz is some sort of late bloomer (loloolloollo) while I argued Geno can be as good as Fitz if not better without having to spend an extra dime on the QB (Fitz).

12 hours ago, C Mart said:

Anderson isn't getting separation?  Ok. Guess I've been watching some other game. Im sure you're a nice man. 

I have no idea what this guy is seeing, lol.  Anderson with a legit quarterback, would be having great rookie season; especially for an udfa.   The way he went up and and high pointed Fitz' lame 50-50 pass was a thing of beauty. 

11 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

I am a nice man and I just prefer Peake to Anderson. You may well have been watching another game, I don't know. I guess I like WR's that don't get knocked over by a stiff breeze. He did make that nice leaping catch, so I guess he has hops too. 

Why can't you appreciate what both of them bring to the game?  They are both fast but Anderson gets to his top gear faster and really can accelerate.   The are both Tall with Anderson at 6'3 and Peake 6'2 and a half, being stronger and about 15 pounds heavier.   One thing is for sure; Anderson definitely has hops and perhaps has better hands (remains to be seen).  I like Peake too, and I am sure will get more opportunities, especially if Petty gets to start.   

18 hours ago, Maxman said:

So there are 100000000 things to complain about right now. I am not denying that. Have at it, plenty of threads for all of those discussions. But one thing that jumped out at me today is it feels like they (Macc) has fixed the WR position for a long time.

Marshall was a nice trade. Decker was here when Macc got here. But...

Quincy Enunwa: Yes he was here. But this staff (dare I say it) has really helped him develop and put him in spots to succeed. 

Robbie Anderson: He is a burner that is having some success with Fitz at QB. When the Jets get a QB that can throw the long ball he should only get better.

Jalin Marhsall: Huge TD today, has showed a lot of promise.

Charone Peake; 7th round pick who is seeing the field, the UDFA's seem to be out playing him. But he definitely seems to have some upside. How many 7th round picks never even see the field for the Jets.

Devin Smith -- when a new QB is in town, he could really solidy this group of young WRs.

Now that is one positive position, and there are like 5 others that need immediate repair. Just saying they seem to be building in an area we have been weak at forever.

I fault Macc for bringing Fitz back.  I did not want him back and I said so. To me Fitz season turned into a pumpkin in Buffalo last December.  So I am not talking from hindsight when I say we would have been no worse off with Geno.  And Geno would have conveniently gotten hurt and let us try our kids out.  So, I do not kill him for drafting, although I did not understand the Lee thing, but I fault him big time for Fitz.   I do not care if Todd Blowes wanted him or not.   Of course, it might have been a Woody call.  We always have to consider those dark possibiities.

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

Again, I doubt Woody went up to Macc and said "I want Fitz at any cost". As for the seats being filled, that's pretty much a guarantee regardless. I don't buy the "Woody wanted Fitz" theory. Cuz if he did, he would've had his guy before the FA started. Why? Here's why:

Woody: I want Fitz at any cost cuz I need to sell a few extra tickets. Im almost broke ya know?
Macc: Sure. Let me wait till the training camp starts and see how it plays out.
Woody: Yeah, I want Fitz at any cost but sure, lets wait. 

Fitz wasn't filling any seats. And Sheldon being suspended 5 games isn't as big of an issue with the way the suspensions have been handled and overturned lately. 

Macc inherited a pretty decent core with about $50 mil of cap space and a top draft pick. And as for Revis, we had the worst secondary in 2014. It was anyone's guess we were going to go after the best CB in the market with over $50mil in cap space, Woody or no Woody.

Well, truth be told, we have no cap space for 2017 unless and until we release a few starters, which is likely. So yeah, at that point, you have no choice but to go with unproven younger players. 

Injuries are part of the game. We didn't have a major injury outside of the Decker injury. Where our FO failed this year was not having a replacement for Cro and not holding a competition at QB. The 3-4 days of partial competition they did hold, Geno owned Fitz. The FO didn't want to admit they dropped the ball by paying Fitz $12mil to sit on the bench. That's where my beef lies with the FO. The entire year, we were fed the BS that Fitz is some sort of late bloomer (loloolloollo) while I argued Geno can be as good as Fitz if not better without having to spend an extra dime on the QB (Fitz).

I agree especially on the latter part.  They signed this fool and immediately named him the starter.  Nevermind he hadn't picked up a football in probably 6 months, meanwhile, Geno and Petty are competing in OTAs, veteran mini camp etc.  Would it have killed them to let Fitz and Geno compete to start?  If Fitz is so much better, wouldn't he have beat out Geno fair and square?  I guess we will never know... 

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes our WR's are great we have depth all minus a decent QB to throw them the ball  Until we insert a decent QB nothing changes here.

How does MAC get a pass on the whole Fitz signing, and the current QB situation. I like what Mac has done but I think the jury is still out. I think this off season will be telling.

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

I agree especially on the latter part.  They signed this fool and immediately named him the starter.  Nevermind he hadn't picked up a football in probably 6 months, meanwhile, Geno and Petty are competing in OTAs, veteran mini camp etc.  Would it have killed them to let Fitz and Geno compete to start?  If Fitz is so much better, wouldn't he have beat out Geno fair and square?  I guess we will never know... 

We do know. Fitz never beat Geno out. First year, IK happened. 2nd year, handed the job. 

22 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Why can't you appreciate what both of them bring to the game?  They are both fast but Anderson gets to his top gear faster and really can accelerate.   The are both Tall with Anderson at 6'3 and Peake 6'2 and a half, being stronger and about 15 pounds heavier.   One thing is for sure; Anderson definitely has hops and perhaps has better hands (remains to be seen).  I like Peake too, and I am sure will get more opportunities, especially if Petty gets to start.   

I think they both could be good.  They seem to have great speed and pretty good hands

17 hours ago, Mike135 said:

I do.  I seriously just think they tire (and get fed up) of playing so much as Fitz is absolute *$hit.

* Not just normal poop.  But some sort of Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Chinese food mixture of diarrhea.  Like it would smell up the entire house.  If ya left it in the bowl overnight, it'd eat through the bowl.  That type of $hit.  That is our 12mil quarterback.

They've played with Geno, too. Soon they'll play with Petty. Having a terrible QB is part of the deal here.

17 minutes ago, section314 said:

We do know. Fitz never beat Geno out. First year, IK happened. 2nd year, handed the job. 

I get it.  I feel positive that had if there was a true quarterback competition this year Geno would have beat out Fitz.  However, once they named Fitz the starter, Geno almost looked disinterested out there and set the stage for Petty to almost bypass him on the depth chart.  (He better be glad Petty got injured or it is possible he might have been cut...)

To your point; Fitz had not earned the right to start either year and I agree with you.  Even after last years 10-6 smoke and mirrors season, he should have had to compete for the job. 

14 minutes ago, gEYno said:

They can stop the run, but you know a lot of the reason for that is because other teams have a "why bother" strategy against us when it comes to running.

I couldn't figure out why in the world Miami would not throw every down against the worlds worst secondary

15 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I get it.  I feel positive that had if there was a true quarterback competition this year Geno would have beat out Fitz.  However, once they named Fitz the starter, Geno almost looked disinterested out there and set the stage for Petty to almost bypass him on the depth chart.  (He better be glad Petty got injured or it is possible he might have been cut...)

To your point; Fitz had not earned the right to start either year and I agree with you.  Even after last years 10-6 smoke and mirrors season, he should have had to compete for the job. 

Good post. I agree, especially after the long holdout.

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Oh we already know. I doubt ANYONE is worse than Fitz and that includes Hack. Hell, I'd add Bilal Powell to that as well and I've never seen him throw. 

Archived