The future is Petty. Let go of your hate.

CobraVerde

11 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Kinda like Peyton Manning did his rookie year, and Eli his rookie year?  Yes let him sling it, throw the picks, learn from them, if he doesn't then you know he isn't your guy, if he does we all dance in the street.  But if you don't let him sling it, and find out either way starting him is a waste of everyone's time.

For every Peyton or Eli there are countless others who got the green light and flopped. He's clearly not ready so the correct move is to simplify the offense until he gets comfortable. Not all players are the same, some guys can step in day 1 and play like a vet, while others need to be eased in. Petty needs to be eased in. I'm not worried about Petty's performance when you consider the circumstances. All I'm looking for is progress and improvement in the upcoming weeks. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, j4jets said:

Thats all a made up story. Geno threw 21 ints and 12 TDs his rookie year. He was 13/13 his 2nd year. Thats not regression. Completion percentage went up. YPG went up. All this with nobody of significance at WR (Decker played hurt most of the first half of 2014). And Geno played good enough to beat the Raiders but when your D gives up 4 straight TDs to start the game, you don't stand much of a chance. 

And no, Geno wasn't named the starter from get-go. He was a good year away from being NFL ready. But whatever floats your boat sir. Its Petty time and we really do need to know what he has. He didn't show ANYTHING yesterday. We'll see how he does in a couple wks. Hey, atleast we are on our way to a high draft pick if he sucks. 

Yes, I'd prefer not to type or see the phrase "Geno Smith" ever again on JetNation.  If that works for you it works for me.

SAR I

2 hours ago, August said:

He's not ready to sling the ball around like you want him to. Did you not see the poor accuracy and indecisiveness yesterday? He would've thrown a bunch of picks had they gave him the green light to throw how you want him to. 

Well, his greatest feat of the day was a beautiful pass that traveled 52 yards in the air for a completion so there's that.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Kinda like Peyton Manning did his rookie year, and Eli his rookie year?  Yes let him sling it, throw the picks, learn from them, if he doesn't then you know he isn't your guy, if he does we all dance in the street.  But if you don't let him sling it, and find out either way starting him is a waste of everyone's time.

Bingo.

And as Jets fans we know that there are plenty of quarterbacks who can throw a 5 yard dink out there, the ones that are coveted are the ones who can throw 20 yard frozen ropes like Roethlisberger, Wilson, Ryan, Rivers, etc. with accuracy.  So to see if we've got one, we have to let him attempt them.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No way in hell. 

Todd Bowles, Kacy Rodgers, and Chan Gailey are all part of the coaching staff that is being retained.  Rodgers is Bowles' puppet, is of no consequence.  Gailey is necessary because Bowles knows nothing of offense and Petty and Hackenberg would be entering Year 3 and Year 2 in that system respectively and continuity is important.

Fitzpatrick comes back because we'll need an experienced veteran backup/mentor and he will be the top backup in the league next year, sought after by many NFL teams.  His kids are in school here, he's immersed in the Gailey system more than any other QB in the league, and he's not disruptive in the locker room, we'll get the home town discount.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Well, his greatest feat of the day was a beautiful pass that traveled 52 yards in the air for a completion so there's that.

SAR I

That was underthrown? Please don't make me get ultra critical on Petty. He did not look good yesterday, and we saw why they were hesitant to play him. It's about how he progresses going forward rather than how he plays in his first start. People need to quit making excuses for Petty and call it what it is. The playcalling saved him from total embarrassment they knew he can't throw the ball down field with ACCURACY. That's why they primarily had him throw short/intermediate passes while leaning on the run game. I understand that the fans want to see a more down field vertical attack but he's not ready that yet, so why do it? We're now in developmental mode and if a more conservative approach makes sense for his development then that's how it should be. Fans just need to be patient. 

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Todd Bowles, Kacy Rodgers, and Chan Gailey are all part of the coaching staff that is being retained.  Rodgers is Bowles' puppet, is of no consequence.  Gailey is necessary because Bowles knows nothing of offense and Petty and Hackenberg would be entering Year 3 and Year 2 in that system respectively and continuity is important.

Fitzpatrick comes back because we'll need an experienced veteran backup/mentor and he will be the top backup in the league next year, sought after by many NFL teams.  His kids are in school here, he's immersed in the Gailey system more than any other QB in the league, and he's not disruptive in the locker room, we'll get the home town discount.

SAR I

Except that he has been a distraction this season. 

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the worst active QB in the NFL theres no way  in hell this organization would be so dumb to bring this guy. 

Woody Johnson isn't a happy man Macc might stay but I'm betting Bowles and staff is fired immediately after the season is over. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the worst active QB in the NFL theres no way  in hell this organization would be so dumb to bring this guy. 

Woody Johnson isn't a happy man Macc might stay but I'm betting Bowles and staff is fired immediately after the season is over. 

I do not see any scenario in which Fitzpatrick returns next season. There are plenty veterans out there for the Jets to sign who can play the mentor role. 

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Agreed but on Fitz the odds are 50/50...he has loads of cash will he stay in Jersey?

no offense to u nj'ers

6 minutes ago, August said:

I do not see any scenario in which Fitzpatrick returns next season. There are plenty veterans out there for the Jets to sign who can play the mentor role. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Here's the list. Let me know who you think the Jets are going to bring in next season. Fitz is going to have a backup job somewhere next season if he wants one.

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Here's the list. Let me know who you think the Jets are going to bring in next season. Fitz is going to have a backup job somewhere next season if he wants one.

There are plenty of guys on that list that could be good backups and/or spot starter for us. Austin Davis, Shaun Hill, Case Keenum etc. I hope Petty shows enough improvement this season that the team would feel comfortable enough with going with Petty as the starter. And all we would need is a lowly veteran 3rd stringer. 

25 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I won't be shocked if this is true, actually.

2 minutes ago, August said:

There are plenty of guys on that list that could be good backups and/or spot starter for us. Austin Davis, Shaun Hill, Case Keenum etc. I hope Petty shows enough improvement this season that the team would feel comfortable enough with going with Petty as the starter. And all we would need is a lowly veteran 3rd stringer. 

Hack will likely be the 3rd stringer for the good part of next season too. In all actuality, unless Bryce sets the world on fire the rest of the season, the Jets will be looking for a veteran to START next season.

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Hack will likely be the 3rd stringer for the good part of next season too. In all actuality, unless Bryce sets the world on fire the rest of the season, the Jets will be looking for a veteran to START next season.

So Carl the Jets made a decision already cemented in stone that Petty and Hack are the guys. 

7 minutes ago, August said:

Petty will be the backup next season 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He doesn't need to light the world on fire, Petty just needs to look promising enough for them to feel comfortable with him as their starter next year. Keep in mind that 2017 will be a rebuilding year so Petty starting makes more sense than bringing in a random vet to start. Plus Hackenberg needs more reps so he should be the backup. We just need a veteran who will do his job, and be seen and not heard. 

1 minute ago, August said:

He doesn't need to light the world on fire, Petty just needs to look promising enough for them to feel comfortable with him as their starter next year. Keep in mind that 2017 will be a rebuilding year so Petty starting makes more sense than bringing in a random vet to start. Plus Hackenberg needs more reps so he should be the backup. We just need a veteran who will do his job, and be seen and not heard. 

You really think based on everything that Macc and Bowles has done that they're going into the 2017 season (the third and fateful one for many coaches and GMs) that they'll trot out a "meh" Petty and a not even close to ready hack as their two QBs? Unless they cut Marshall, Clady, Mangold, Harris, Forte, and others and really gut the roster, I just cannot see that happening. They won't blow it up that much.

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You really think based on everything that Macc and Bowles has done that they're going into the 2017 season (the third and fateful one for many coaches and GMs) that they'll trot out a "meh" Petty and a not even close to ready hack as their two QBs? Unless they cut Marshall, Clady, Mangold, Harris, Forte, and others and really gut the roster, I just cannot see that happening. They won't blow it up that much.

If they did that and came out and announced that we are going into a rebuilding process where we will be developing young players. Then yes I can see it happening. We obviously would have to cut the veterans and go completely young with a sprinkle of a vet here and there. 

1 minute ago, August said:

I don't want to go 1-15 but if we are losing with the purpose of developing young talent for the future then I can tolerate it. 

Young talent?  Petty and Hack are light years behind Prescott and Wentz the Jets do not develop QB's we need to acquire a sure thing franchise QB if it means trading the next 3 years of #1 picks it needs to be done. 

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Young talent?  Petty and Hack are light years behind Prescott and Wentz the Jets do not develop QB's we need to acquire a sure thing franchise QB if it means trading the next 3 years of #1 picks it needs to be done. 

That's what rebuilding is though. Playing young guys and letting them develop. What sure fire franchise QB's are to be had?

7 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Fitz had five games this season with a better rating than Petty had yesterday. There are plenty of things to criticize Fitz about without making up numbers. 

How are the numbers made up?  Fitz for the season has a 67 rating, while Petty has a 70 rating.  I didn't say, Petty played a greater game than Fitz at any point, I pointed out the season stats so far.   There is plenty to criticize about both guys, but I would love to know how the numbers are made up here.  

16 minutes ago, win4ever said:

How are the numbers made up?  Fitz for the season has a 67 rating, while Petty has a 70 rating.  I didn't say, Petty played a greater game than Fitz at any point, I pointed out the season stats so far.   There is plenty to criticize about both guys, but I would love to know how the numbers are made up here.  

You were comparing the entire Fitz season against one game from Petty? That's a bit dishonest don't you think? I thought you meant Fitz never had a better singular game than Petty had yesterday. Give Petty another 6 starts and then you can compare. One start vs. nine is not a useful metric in any kind of comparison.

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Fundamentally, the CS was trying to find out a way to win the game yesterday instead of seeing if Petty is the franchise quarterback of the future.

They coached like a group that wanted to win with a limited quarterback and a former all pro running back.  So that's what we got.

SAR I

couldn't disagree more.   They coached scared.    

Besides, Petty has an absolute cannon for an arm.   at some point during the game you tell him to just throw it as far as you can, just to loosen up the defense.   during the 2nd half the defense realized that Gailey just wasn't going to let Petty throw downfield and everything was a quick pass.  This created a situation where the defense was sitting on the short passes and basically jumping all of the routes.  

I also don't know how many 2nd and short they had where Gailey called a draw only to lose 2-3 yards.   I'm not sure that I've ever seen a team run a draw on 2nd and short before.  You generally see either PA pass or a straight run to get the 1st down.   The draw was somewhat befuddling...and it wasn't just once.  

10 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You were comparing the entire Fitz season against one game from Petty? That's a bit dishonest don't you think? I thought you meant Fitz never had a better singular game than Petty had yesterday. Give Petty another 6 starts and then you can compare. One start vs. nine is not a useful metric in any kind of comparison.

There is nothing else to compare, he only started one game.  My point was that, his rating this point is better than Fitz's season rating.  There are no other useful metrics to use at this point, because that'd be based purely on projection.  People stated Fitz would have done better against the Rams, a point that would be disputed because his average rating per game was lower than what Petty threw up there.  While it wasn't significantly better or even good for that matter, it still doesn't excuse the fact that his game was better than the average game from Fitz this year.   

If I wanted to cherry pick, comparing defenses that are ranked near the Rams in team defense by Football Outsiders, and then averaging his ratings against them (Arizona, Baltimore, Miami, KC, Seattle) it would widen the gap from a rating of 70 for Petty to 60 for Fitz.  

We have to give Petty the starts, because there is nothing positive that Fitzpatrick can lead us to this season besides tanking.  If he wins out, we still won't make the playoffs.  We have to see if Petty is fit for a starter, or if he's going to be a backup.  I'm not saying, let's anoint Petty the savior, but he did perform better than the average Fitzpatrick game for those saying we would have won this game if it was Fitz under center.   I'm arguing, that moving forward, Petty is the wiser decision for a starter than Fitz.  Fitz gives us nothing moving forward, and I'd be shocked if he's back next year under any circumstances.   

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

You are exactly right, I fully expect Romo or Cutler or someone else's castoff starter in here in a splashy signing a-la Favre 2008.  It's not only Woody Johnson's way but it gives Maccagnan more time to develop Hackenberg and/or Petty which clearly they need.

But I think it starts with the defense.  There are plenty of franchise quarterbacks like Rivers and Brees who don't go to the playoffs year after year because they have a crappy defense.  Building this team the way we have since Mangini is still the right approach and we have so much work to do on that side of the ball.  The QB is a crapshoot.  The D can be rebuilt properly.

SAR I

Your suggesting we invest MORE top picks in the defense? no

Archived