The future is Petty. Let go of your hate.

CobraVerde

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

For the record, Ryan Fitzpatrick wins today's game. 

In fact, if not for the special teams screwing up in Miami last week, we'd have won 4 in a row under Fitzpatrick, we'd be 5-5 right now and feeling positive about our contest against the Patriots. 

SAR I

In hindsight yes fitz could have been a smug better to today to get us over the hump.. Or he could have been worse and threw more tds for rams then jets.. It's too bad he couldn't play even average last week, and the Special team blunder would not even had mattered.. But he lost it.. Hurt or not we would have needed to run the table to even likely had a shot at playoffs.. come on ha..But now we have 7 loses, and playing fitz really doesn't make any sense now..

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SAR I said:

This is true.  And I support it completely.

That's why I find it so amusing that so many are down on Petty.  What exactly did they expect?  The odds are 1 in 100 that he is the franchise quarterback we have been waiting 40 years for.  The process of validating is ability is not to see if he is The Man.  It's to confirm that he's not.

SAR I

You read a post like this, and you wonder why the poster even watches football.  I didn't know what to expect of Petty, but you're looking at your alleged team like a researcher looks at some kind of experiment.  No, I take that back, the researcher probably has more emotionally invested in the experiment than you have in the Jets.  Would it have killed you to think that maybe the kid might have been good?

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Stop.  Outside of the Kansas City game, Fitzpatrick was throwing his typical 1 INT per game but doing enough with his savvy and his feet to generate offense.

Let me remind you that if not for special teams blunders and secondary blunders, we'd be 6-4 right now with this same Ryan Fitzpatrick you are so down on.

SAR I

Keep going on about Sh!tz.  You'll have our record at 7-3 in another page or so.

9 hours ago, CobraVerde said:

No no dont misunderstand. Hack is the backup. Plain and simple. Hes gotta know his place just like Petty, just like Geno, Just like Fitzpatrick etc. You keep Hack ready at all times If Petty faulters over the season you switch it up. You aint gonna throw Hack in there cause he knows less than Petty right now.

Most of his passes spare the one really nice long one early were after the Jets had to pass in the 4th quarter. marshall was 4 for 15, which is a joke. And if you hand off every 1st and most 2nd downs, putting the kid in 3rd and long all day isn't very helpful to the team nor his development. 

6 hours ago, win4ever said:

Petty in his first start against a tough defense, still managed a higher rating than Ryan Fitzpatrick this season.  

Fitz had five games this season with a better rating than Petty had yesterday. There are plenty of things to criticize Fitz about without making up numbers. 

Petty was thrown in the fire? Really now? That's the excuse we wanna use? He's half way through his second year. 23 games into his career before he got his first start. Not exactly "thrown in the fire". You know who WAS thrown in the fire though? Geno. Yeah, when we burned him real good, and he was ready to take the next leap, we went with the old effing junk Fitz. Fitz ruined years for the Jets. And Macc n Bowles licked his b*lls the entire off season. 

43 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Most of his passes spare the one really nice long one early were after the Jets had to pass in the 4th quarter. marshall was 4 for 15, which is a joke. And if you hand off every 1st and most 2nd downs, putting the kid in 3rd and long all day isn't very helpful to the team nor his development. 

Really? Cuz I thought the ground game wasn't an issue today. I mean we averaged over 5 yards a pop. Why wouldn't you wanna rush more than pass? Petty was errant the entire game. And that one pass you're talking about was an underthrown fluke that bounced off the defender if I recall correctly. 

7 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Really? Cuz I thought the ground game wasn't an issue today. I mean we averaged over 5 yards a pop. Why wouldn't you wanna rush more than pass? Petty was errant the entire game. And that one pass you're talking about was an underthrown fluke that bounced off the defender if I recall correctly. 

The ground game was not the problem. The play calling wasn't honestly the problem.  The problem was that Petty was extremely limited in what he could do mentally.  I don't honestly know if he was flustered because it was his first start, he didn't get enough 1st team reps, or he just can't scan the whole field, or whatever else, but everyone here can't seem to realize that he had full reign to do what he wanted and there were multiple missed opportunities because he failed to make the correct read.  That would explain the check downs, the missed recievers, lack of accuracy, etc. 

If Petty wants to be "the guy" he needs to get better in his mental game.  Guy has all the physical tools and looked lost scanning a pro defense yesterday.  That was his knock in Baylor and he looked like that yesterday.

Petty and Hack will be the only QB's under contract entering the offseason.  So...yeah....he'd better be the guy.  If not, it had better be Hack.  If not, it had better be whoever we take with our 1st round pick.  And if not at that point......fire everyone and demand that Woody Johnson sells the team. 

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Petty and Hack will be the only QB's under contract entering the offseason.  So...yeah....he'd better be the guy.  If not, it had better be Hack.  If not, it had better be whoever we take with our 1st round pick.  And if not at that point......fire everyone and demand that Woody Johnson sells the team. 

My guess is that one of the following QB's will be signed or traded for this offseason:

Glennon

Romo

Bradford

Glennon is the only one I can kind of get excited about, because he may be decent, but Romo will be killed by week 3 and is old, and Bradford is just completely unexciting.

I'm willing to give Petty a shot. I wasn't impressed with his performance yesterday but I do think it was a conservative game plan and I agree it was probably stressed on him to not turn the football over. So it makes sense for a young QB to be overly conservative for fear of going right back to the bench.

But the Jets are going to have to eventually open up the playbook and see what he can do. He missed some easy throws yesterday which annoyed me but I don't think he has a reputation for being inaccurate so I'm willing to chalk that up to first game jitters.

But even with the conservative play calling, Petty missed two big, easy throws that if he makes, we probably win.

1. The easy TD pass to Robbie Anderson in the first half.

2. The easy first down pass to Quincy Enunwa in his own end zone.

I really believe that had he completed both of those passes we probably win the game. But the Rams have a good, aggressive D. Petty was also lucky he didn't throw 1 or 2 other INT's on routes the Rams read and jumped.

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There is no suggestion any more.  We need to stay the course, stick with Petty, and if we go 0-6 from here so be it.

SAR I

Agree to disagree Petty gets 3 games and then Hack gets 3 games we need to evaluate the entire situation we may need to start over at the QB position and clear the roster. 

Next man up until we find that guy. 

9 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

In hindsight yes fitz could have been a smug better to today to get us over the hump.. Or he could have been worse and threw more tds for rams then jets.. It's too bad he couldn't play even average last week, and the Special team blunder would not even had mattered.. But he lost it.. Hurt or not we would have needed to run the table to even likely had a shot at playoffs.. come on ha..But now we have 7 loses, and playing fitz really doesn't make any sense now..

Agreed, I'm just responding to those who 1) expected Petty to win yesterday and 2) are posting how they want to get rid of him already.

SAR I

9 hours ago, kelticwizard said:

You read a post like this, and you wonder why the poster even watches football.  I didn't know what to expect of Petty, but you're looking at your alleged team like a researcher looks at some kind of experiment.  No, I take that back, the researcher probably has more emotionally invested in the experiment than you have in the Jets.  Would it have killed you to think that maybe the kid might have been good?

I think you are reading me wrong-  I like Petty, I think he has ability, I believe that in time he may be good.  But that said, franchise quarterbacks not taken in Round 1 are 100-to-1 longshots, so you have to expect either severe growing pains or a flat-out bust.  It's just reality.

I was responding to those who were crushed that we lost to the Rams, like we should have expected a win with a kid making his first start on such a dysfunctional and toxic team.

My only disappointment yesterday was that Gailey handcuffed the young man, we only threw 5 passes longer than 10 yards all day.  That's no way to validate the kid.  Let him throw the thing.

SAR I

9 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

Keep going on about Sh!tz.  You'll have our record at 7-3 in another page or so.

My point is that for those who wanted to win yesterday and are focused only on our record this season 1) Fitzpatrick would have been the better choice yesterday and 2) Fitzpatrick played well enough to get us to a few more wins than we have now.

The issue this season isn't the quarterback; it's the defense.  Frankly I would have been more excited to learn that we stuck with Fitzpatrick and decided to bench the starting defense, put the entire second-string in there.  That would actually teach us something new.  We know we suck at QB.  Sucking at D was a shock.

SAR I

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

My point is that for those who wanted to win yesterday and are focused only on our record this season 1) Fitzpatrick would have been the better choice yesterday and 2) Fitzpatrick played well enough to get us to a few more wins than we have now.

The issue this season isn't the quarterback; it's the defense.  Frankly I would have been more excited to learn that we stuck with Fitzpatrick and decided to bench the starting defense, put the entire second-string in there.  That would actually teach us something new.  We know we suck at QB.  Sucking at D was a shock.

SAR I

SAR I the D held the Rams to 9 points........

7 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I fear it's a Woody special it's either, broken down Romo or Cut it loose Cutler in 2017. We never get our own QB, it's always some fooking old relic. It's going to be  dejavu again.

You are exactly right, I fully expect Romo or Cutler or someone else's castoff starter in here in a splashy signing a-la Favre 2008.  It's not only Woody Johnson's way but it gives Maccagnan more time to develop Hackenberg and/or Petty which clearly they need.

But I think it starts with the defense.  There are plenty of franchise quarterbacks like Rivers and Brees who don't go to the playoffs year after year because they have a crappy defense.  Building this team the way we have since Mangini is still the right approach and we have so much work to do on that side of the ball.  The QB is a crapshoot.  The D can be rebuilt properly.

SAR I

12 hours ago, CobraVerde said:

We finally have a young, good, real QB who will have weapons around him. And a defense thats highly ranked. We will finally go into next year not having to worry about QB. 

With Gailey calling plays, Petty is going to look progressively WORSE as the season goes on. Gailey is ultra conservative and will hold Petty back instead of building him up. Look at the play calling against the Rams. Nothing but short, dinks and dunks as the Rams defense progressively moved forward leaving NO space in the short game at all. Petty has a cannon arm but Gailey refused to throw deep except for two plays. One completion and one incomplete and that was it. Maybe it was partially Petty, because I saw him pull the ball down a time or two so maybe he lacks confidence as well. It doesn't look good at all. When you look at teams like Dallas, Pittsburgh, NE and Seattle you see how far behind the Jets really are. At every level from HC on down to the water boys this is an inferior football team.

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

Petty was thrown in the fire? Really now? That's the excuse we wanna use? He's half way through his second year. 23 games into his career before he got his first start. Not exactly "thrown in the fire". You know who WAS thrown in the fire though? Geno. Yeah, when we burned him real good, and he was ready to take the next leap, we went with the old effing junk Fitz. Fitz ruined years for the Jets. And Macc n Bowles licked his b*lls the entire off season. 

The problem with Geno was regression.  Same as Sanchez.  Geno started 8-8, he literally won every-other-game, he looked very good in spurts, I was onboard and ready for a successful 2014.  Then the wheels came off and he went 4-12 and looked brutal.  And then he couldn't compete in Oakland '15 and then he acted unprofessionally and got hurt for Baltimore '16.

And Geno was practically named the starter from the get-go, he had all preseason to prepare, it's what led to an 8-8 rookie campaign.  Petty, thrown into a train wreck at 3-6 is no comparison.  With Geno, every man on that squad felt the year was new and they could achieve success.  With Petty, everyone knows the year is a waste and they are all pissed off, the guys making big bucks are mailing it in, the guys making no money can't get playing time.

Comparing the Geno situation to the Petty situation is ridiculous, even for a MyHero such as yourself.

SAR I

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

It's almost like the CS didn't want Petty to get hit.   Every pass was 3 step drop, check-downs to the RB's, and rollouts.  

I wonder how much of it was caution with Petty vs. lack of confidence in the OL vs. a great LA pass rush.   

Fundamentally, the CS was trying to find out a way to win the game yesterday instead of seeing if Petty is the franchise quarterback of the future.

They coached like a group that wanted to win with a limited quarterback and a former all pro running back.  So that's what we got.

SAR I

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree to disagree Petty gets 3 games and then Hack gets 3 games we need to evaluate the entire situation we may need to start over at the QB position and clear the roster. 

While I too would love to see Hackenberg, word is from people on the inside that we trust, he's a year away, he's truly a developmental project.

This summer, different story.  Come July we'll have Team Hackenberg vs. Team Petty to debate until we sign Team Romo.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I the D held the Rams to 9 points........

Our D having success against lousy teams does not excuse the crappy performance they put up against the quality teams.

Yes, the D played well yesterday, but I'm not referring to yesterday.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

But petty didn't look good at all

He split preparation reps this week and he played a strong defense that is motivated and well coached.

He now will have 12 days to get starters reps, study film, and play a weak defense.

And I don't need to tell you that we can't rush to judgement on a kids first start after a serious preseason shoulder injury, leading a team of misfits that's checked out and doesn't care anymore.  We aren't going to learn much this season.  We'll see if Petty is tough, can make long throws under pressure, and show some leadership qualities.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

The problem with Geno was regression.  Same as Sanchez.  Geno started 8-8, he literally won every-other-game, he looked very good in spurts, I was onboard and ready for a successful 2014.  Then the wheels came off and he went 4-12 and looked brutal.  And then he couldn't compete in Oakland '15 and then he got hurt for Baltimore '16.

And Geno was practically named the starter from the get-go, he had all preseason to prepare, it's what led to an 8-8 rookie campaign.  Petty, thrown into a train wreck at 3-6 is no comparison.  With Geno, every man on that squad felt the year was new and they could achieve success.  With Petty, everyone knows the year is a waste and they are all pissed off, the guys making big bucks are mailing it in, the guys making no money can't get playing time.

Comparing Geno to Petty is ridiculous, even for a MyHero such as yourself.

SAR I

Thats all a made up story. Geno threw 21 ints and 12 TDs his rookie year. He was 13/13 his 2nd year. Thats not regression. Completion percentage went up. YPG went up. All this with nobody of significance at WR (Decker played hurt most of the first half of 2014). And Geno played good enough to beat the Raiders but when your D gives up 4 straight TDs to start the game, you don't stand much of a chance. 

And no, Geno wasn't named the starter from get-go. He was a good year away from being NFL ready. But whatever floats your boat sir. Its Petty time and we really do need to know what he has. He didn't show ANYTHING yesterday. We'll see how he does in a couple wks. Hey, atleast we are on our way to a high draft pick if he sucks. 

26 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I think you are reading me wrong-  I like Petty, I think he has ability, I believe that in time he may be good.  But that said, franchise quarterbacks not taken in Round 1 are 100-to-1 longshots, so you have to expect either severe growing pains or a flat-out bust.  It's just reality.

I was responding to those who were crushed that we lost to the Rams, like we should have expected a win with a kid making his first start on such a dysfunctional and toxic team.

My only disappointment yesterday was that Gailey handcuffed the young man, we only threw 5 passes longer than 10 yards all day.  That's no way to validate the kid.  Let him throw the thing.

SAR I

He's not ready to sling the ball around like you want him to. Did you not see the poor accuracy and indecisiveness yesterday? He would've thrown a bunch of picks had they gave him the green light to throw how you want him to. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

I don't think you'll even see Hack in the first half of next season, nonetheless any time at all this season. Fitz was banged up and Hack was still inactive yesterday. He is miles and miles away from getting any meaningful look on the football field.

44 minutes ago, August said:

He's not ready to sling the ball around like you want him to. Did you not see the poor accuracy and indecisiveness yesterday? He would've thrown a bunch of picks had they gave him the green light to throw how you want him to. 

Kinda like Peyton Manning did his rookie year, and Eli his rookie year?  Yes let him sling it, throw the picks, learn from them, if he doesn't then you know he isn't your guy, if he does we all dance in the street.  But if you don't let him sling it, and find out either way starting him is a waste of everyone's time.

Archived