As bad as our QB situation is

AFJF

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I wouldn't say we conceded but we definitely sent a message that there would be NO competition at quarterback and that was a huge mistake, imho. 

As much as I supported Fitz, I said Bolwes made a mistake by naming Fitz the starter.  Should've been a competition.

I asked a former NFL assistant coach for his thoughts on it and he actually agreed with Bowles.  He said Fitz's performance last season was good enough to be handed the job.  I respectfully nodded and said "okay".

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

It could have been us had we traded with Tampa.......

I'd have parted with a 2, but TB was supposedly demanding a 1st.

Perfect world would've been conditional pick.  1st rounder with performance/playing time stipulations that drop to a 2nd if not met.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

As much as I supported Fitz, I said Bolwes made a mistake by naming Fitz the starter.  Should've been a competition.

I asked a former NFL assistant coach for his thoughts on it and he actually agreed with Bowles.  He said Fitz's performance last season was good enough to be handed the job.  I respectfully nodded and said "okay".

I would have agreed that Fitzpatrick earned the job...UNTIL he held out. Then all bets should have been off.

that said, my opinion is hindsight at its height.

9 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Just goes to show you that people can be wrong regardless of their experience or knowledge.   He should factored in Fitz total body of work and realized that he typically has had one good season followed by a poor one, his entire career.  

11 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I'd have parted with a 2, but TB was supposedly demanding a 1st.

Perfect world would've been conditional pick.  1st rounder with performance/playing time stipulations that drop to a 2nd if not met.

I think that would have been the move and could have even traded Geno and a 2nd for Glennon. They get a quality back up too boot!!  

We shouldn't have put all our eggs in the Fitz basket when he himself wasn't training all off season to improve!! 

In truth I believe Mac was going to do just this when he gave Fitz that deadline of take the deal or its off the table.  I truly believe he was targeting Glennon and would have gotten him, if Fitz sat out one just more day.....

9 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I would have agreed that Fitzpatrick earned the job...UNTIL he held out. Then all bets should have been off.

that said, my opinion is hindsight at its height.

Yeah the thing is I was saying this before he was re-signed. 

Just now, Charlie Brown said:

I think that would have been the move and could have even traded Geno and a 2nd for Glennon. They get a quality back up too boot!!  

We shouldn't have put all our eggs in the Fitz basket when he himself wasn't training all off season to improve!! 

In truth I believe Mac was going to do just this when he gave Fitz that deadline of take the deal or its off the table.  I truly believe he was targeting Glennon and would have gotten him, if Fitz sat out one more day more.....

Take it for what you will considering the source, but I believe it was Francessa who said the Jets called (or maybe he was saying he knew of another team that called?) and said TB was asking for a 1st in exchange for Glennon.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

In truth I believe Mac was going to do just this when he gave Fitz that deadline of take the deal or its off the table.  I truly believe he was targeting Glennon and would have gotten him, if Fitz sat out one just more day.....

If that is true then we truly ****ed up. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Brown said:

Macc and Bowles took the easy way out re signing Fitzpatrick and handing him the starting QB job the results a 3-8 season so far and for that they should all be fired. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Macc and Bowles took the easy way out re signing Fitzpatrick and handing him the starting QB job the results a 3-8 season so far and for that they should all be fired. 

I don't know about being fired but I totally agree they took the easy way out and showed no balls.  

1 minute ago, JetBlue said:

I don't know about being fired but I totally agree they took the easy way out and showed no balls.  

You cannot have a GM and head coach like that in the NFL the results we be tragic if being last place isn't enough for you and a bottom feeder NFL team then I dont know what it is..

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I cant wait to see what type of Contract Mike Glennon receives...given that he's MUCH better than Brock. 

@AFJF ;)

I don't know what you see in Glennon. His numbers for his only season were not eye popping. In fact his numbers caused the Bucs to turn to McCown and then to draft Jameis Winston. If he was any good why didn't the Bucs stick with him? 

19 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Fitz was on the Darrelle Revis conditioning program. Three double cheeseburgers and a large Diet Coke. Twice a day. That's some heavy lifting right there.

23 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I don't know what you see in Glennon. His numbers for his only season were not eye popping. In fact his numbers caused the Bucs to turn to McCown and then to draft Jameis Winston. If he was any good why didn't the Bucs stick with him? 

What I see in him goes beyond numbers. I've watched every game he's ever played in as a professional. None of his benching 's we're based on poor performance, but purely on the fact that a new coach came in and wanted to start fresh. That's an absolute fact. 

His numbers are better than anything we've put on the field...with little to no talent outside of Vincent Jackson and Bobby Rainey and his Oline was the worst in football at the time.

Mike Glennon isn't a QB that you can look up on NFL.com or ESPN and say "he's great", but if you watched his games you will come to the conclusion that Mike Glennon was never the problem during those two years...and he did more with less than an Jets QB has.

Mike Glennon is a beast, and with a team around him could easily be a top 15 quarterback.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Im telling you to go away from me 

Are you going to cry and whine to Max because you come at me and then when I prove you wrong you cant face the truth and then you make up lies to try and look cool. 

Does the truth hurt are you crying or just whining..

No worries I'm fixing the situation putting you on ignore. 

You've chosen to ignore content by Integrity28

Spoken like the Fitz lover you are.

You've put me on ignore like 20 times. Every time I prove you're lying.

If you don't want me around you, then you'd better get up from your seat and move to the other side of your mother's basement. When you get there, please post links to all the instances where you've proven me wrong. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Based on what? your love affair with Glennon.

I really think he was prepared to go into the season with what he had, yes Geno. But Fitzprick screwed everyone by holding out and then by taking the contract.

He's garbage and he continually f*cks the organization. Well, the organization keeps letting him f*ck them.

But, I guess the gift is this season, where we FINALLY get a great draft position and we found out about Todd Bowles.

52 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Because Winston is the best qb prospect since Luck

Glennon for his career as mostly a backup has 30 tds 15 ints and 4,100 yards passing.  So what would you consider eye popping 60 tds and 0 int's?

The Osweiller situation tells you just how qb starved this league is.  With a ton of young qbs not really panning out as planned, what we have is a league led by a bunch of geriatrics (Brady/Brees/Big Ben/Rivers/Rogers/Manning) and just a few glimmers of hope (Carr/Wilson and maybe Luck) for the younger generation.

Meanwhile even the lesser hopes for the younger generation might easily flame out.  Would it surprise anyone if Jameis Winston ended up having a Michael Vick like career? Or if Stafford reverted to the mean next season.  

So within the next 2-3 years we're going to see a lot of holes opening up around the league as the older guys retire once and for all, and there is going to be an even bigger power vacuum than there is now.

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

I know a lot of folks don't like him but here's my opinion in a nutshell.

In short, his numbers weren't eye-popping but they were damn good when you consider the teams he did it against, his lack of experience and supporting cast.

The team played McCown in favor of Glennon, yet the team's record and Glennon's numbers were better than McCown which goes to show that they sat the QB who was playing better...can't fault Glennon for that.

TB Drafting Winston doesn't mean Glennon is no good any more than SD drafting Rivers didn't mean Drew Brees was no good.

Osweilers' 18 mil sounds crazy but it's exactly average 17th overall tied with Tyrod Taylor and tony romo. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

Fitz is at 24th, just above RG3 

lost in all this fitz stuff, the price of QB's is huge and 18 isn't even that expensive anymore.  it's about 10% of a 155 million cap.  12 is actually kinda cheap believe it or not.

3 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

The ironic thing is Osweiler is probably making the playoffs this year

Just as Sanchez made the playoffs in 09 and 10.  What has he done since then?

Just now, bitonti said:

Osweilers' 18 mil sounds crazy but it's exactly average 17th overall tied with Tyrod Taylor and tony romo. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/quarterback/

Fitz is at 24th, just above RG3 

lost in all this fitz stuff, the price of QB's is huge and 18 isn't even that expensive anymore.  it's about 10% of a 155 million cap.  12 is actually kinda cheap believe it or not.

Which is why it's hilarious that people were freaking out over the fact that Fitz counts for $5 mil next season.

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

Based on what? your love affair with Glennon.

Ummmmm Noooooo..

Actually my opinion is based upon actual reports from folks who follow the team.

See the following as reported by SNY on March 25, 2016:

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-may-prefer-tbs-glennon-over-smith-if-they-cant-sign-fitzpatrick/169106128

"If the New York Jets do not re-sign quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, they could look to trade for Tampa Bay Buccaneers backup Mike Glennon rather than searching internally with Geno Smith or Bryce Petty........

Glennon, who did not play in 2015 after Tampa Bay drafted Jameis Winston, has thrown for 4,025 yards, 29 touchdowns and 15 interceptions in 19 games from 2013 to 2014.

A year ago, before Fitzpatrick was brought in, I loved the idea of the Jets pursuing Glennon in a trade. Do I know with a certainty that Glennon is the answer the Jets have been waiting for? No, but when I think back to Glennon's 2013 campaign with the Bucs, it's hard to not like him for throwing 19 touchdowns to just nine interceptions with a terribly coached Greg Schiano team. I would guess Glennon and Smith might be pitted against each other in a competition, but if so, Glennon would have a good shot at winning the job outright. What's even better is that he would count less than $2 million against the salary cap."

Hmmmmmmmm don't like that article how about this one:

http://elitesportsny.com/2016/04/11/new-york-jets-need-trade-mike-glennon-keep-muhammad-wilkerson/

"Mike Glennon just isn’t a backup quarterback based on getting beat out by somebody who out shined him. He’s a guy who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The only reason he hasn’t seen the field since 2014 is because his team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, finished dead last in the league, granting them the overall No. 1 selection in the 2015 NFL Draft (Jameis Winston).

Glennon is no bum. This is a kid whose short NFL career has garnered much attention. His 4,025 yards and 29-15 TD/INT ratio through his first 18 games started is evidence enough.

This is also why he’s still in Tampa. Because he is so talented, and the league knows this, the Bucs asking price has been a first or a second. Nobody will provide that compensation for a guy who’s pretty much stuck in a backup role. The league would rather force Tampa’s hand into either trading him for less than par-value, or waiting until his deal expires.

Now, Glennon is in the last year of his rookie deal. He’s scheduled to make $1,830,375 in 2016.

It’s so obvious, yet so perfect. Trading a third or fourth round pick to Tampa for Glennon would not only solve the Jets salary cap problems for the short term, but potentially provide the organization with a franchise quarterback for many years to come.

Think about how hard it is to find a franchise guy behind center. If you’re a fan of the Jets, you understand. Not since No. 12 graced Shea Stadium have they felt the experience.

Getting creative is oftentimes the ticket to QB paradise in a league that makes it so difficult to get there."

So no, I'm not in love with Glennon but rather I can no longer take horrific or mediocre QB play and IMO Glennon is better than anything we have out there now and that should be something you and everyone out here should be cheering for as well..

4 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ummmmm Noooooo..

Actually my opinion is based upon actual reports from folks who follow the team.

See the following as reported by SNY on March 25, 2016:

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-may-prefer-tbs-glennon-over-smith-if-they-cant-sign-fitzpatrick/169106128

"If the New York Jets do not re-sign quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, they could look to trade for Tampa Bay Buccaneers backup Mike Glennon rather than searching internally with Geno Smith or Bryce Petty........

Glennon, who did not play in 2015 after Tampa Bay drafted Jameis Winston, has thrown for 4,025 yards, 29 touchdowns and 15 interceptions in 19 games from 2013 to 2014.

A year ago, before Fitzpatrick was brought in, I loved the idea of the Jets pursuing Glennon in a trade. Do I know with a certainty that Glennon is the answer the Jets have been waiting for? No, but when I think back to Glennon's 2013 campaign with the Bucs, it's hard to not like him for throwing 19 touchdowns to just nine interceptions with a terribly coached Greg Schiano team. I would guess Glennon and Smith might be pitted against each other in a competition, but if so, Glennon would have a good shot at winning the job outright. What's even better is that he would count less than $2 million against the salary cap."

So no, I'm not in love with Glennon but rather I can no longer take horrific or mediocre QB play and IMO Glennon is better than anything we have out there now and that should be something you and everyone out here should be cheering for as well..

good rebuttal.

It's admirable that you did the research and I respect the effort. I'm just more in love with my strategy that says "sure up the known deficiencies that would prevent a young, relatively inexperienced QB from succeeding before you commit yet more draft capital to the position when you already have guys with the measurables that you need to find out about."

8 minutes ago, phill1c said:

good rebuttal.

It's admirable that you did the research and I respect the effort. I'm just more in love with my strategy that says "sure up the known deficiencies that would prevent a young, relatively inexperienced QB from succeeding before you commit yet more draft capital to the position when you already have guys with the measurables that you need to find out about."

In truth I agree with you. 

Indeed I was called a Sanchez "apologist" by many  out here because I said that the QB doesn't stand alone and the talent around the QB must support him. Folks respond with the "franchise QB must elevate the players around him" line and I said a QB can't make "average players HOF players" so  I understand but i think that you can do both.  That is, look for your teams QB while you strengthen the key components around him.

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Imagine knowing you just gave Osweiller a long-term deal at $18 million per season.

How long can the Texans stay above water despite him?

I feel so much better now, it's not like we just have 18 per to some Defensive lineman with a broken leg. That can't turn up for team meetings, let alone games.

kinda interesting how TB refused to trade Glennon-they valued him that much as Winston's backup, which would make them look even smarter if they make the playoffs.

They will not be able to afford him after this year-Glennon will move on, sign an enormous contract somewhere and TB will get a nice compensatory quick.  Its nice how that works.   The Jets will be lucky if Petty works out the same way.

Someone will offer Glennon the Osweiler deal. 2 years, 18 per.  I would not be offended if the Jets did that and cut the dead wood on defense-rebuild that through the draft.

I am not troubled by the OL as much as others.  The Jets can be the top bidder for Schrader (Falcons) and Glennon and resign Winters and someone else.  The line would work.

Archived