Blake Bortles - the reclamation project?

Integrity28

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, jett said:

I was very invested in the jaguars last season (fantasy football is great for many reasons, one of them is paying attention to teams that you normally wouldn't care about, I had Allen robinson) and I watched a lot of their games. If you looked at his stats last year you would have thought that he was well on his way to being a stud. But boy Oh boy this one of those cases where stats are misleading. This guy looked pedestrian for 3 quarters a lot of the time and then just put up garbage time stats in the 4th playing from behind and throwing it a lot. I mean, I don't remember the numbers but I would go ahead and put money on it that he probably finished top 5 in attempts just because they were always playing from behind. Not too mention I remember a ton of tds thrown in the 4th quarter with most of them that didn't matter. He just looked like to me a Qb that looked the part and can throw through a brick wall but no finesse. Albeit I have no jags on my Fantasy team this year so I have no input on what he has done this year. Looks like nothing good. 

Edit: also forgot to add, this guy has serious weapons to. It's not a lack weapons, I mean maybe the oline could use some help, but this guy has weapons for days. No excuses 

I got burned on Blake Bortles in fantasy because of this very reason. I didn't watch a lot of their games but I saw his numbers last season and thought he was well on his way. Especially with the skill talent he had on offense.

I wish I would have seen him play more last season. In fantasy, all that matters are stats but still. I have a feeling if I watched him, I wouldn't have drafted him as early as I did this season.

When you don't have an organization that doesn't know what it is doing you end up doing stupid things like what the Jets did. 

Think Dak has the finest OL in the game coupled with one of the best running games in the league, Jets don't do stuff like that  

By year three Sanchez had Hunter and guys who couldn't be on a good CFL team to throw to.  

People think Romo and now Dak are flukes, no they are not.   It's the difference between a good organization and a poor one. 

The Jets did EXACTLY that for Sanchez in terms of support. They had the best OLine and run game AND defense in his first season, and all were top 5 in his second season. Granted it went down hill in year 3, but you can't consistently have the best of the best at every spot, it's not realistic and eventually your pick has to develop and be able to carry more of the load.

Dak is playing much better this year than Sanchez did in his rookie and second season despite both having great OLine play and great run games. You can make multiple arguments why that's how it is, but lack of support around them isn't one of them.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

People think Romo and now Dak are flukes, no they are not.   It's the difference between a good organization and a poor one. 

The Cowboys have won two playoff games since 1996.  They are very good this year, but not sure the contrast between the two organizations is that obvious.  

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Of course you can't, why not go with the worst QB tandem in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1- Don't know Petty's potential.

2- Don't know if Hack is the guy.

If anything get a Veteran QB to carry the team or go with Petty and Hack on a total rebuild.

And just how good are the Jets at drafting QBs. They haven't drafted a great QB in 26 years. A couple decent ones maybe. We need to keep drafting more QBs because that's what the Jets do best. Want a history lesson brother:

2016- Hackenburg

2015- Petty

2014- Tajh Boyd

2013- Geno

2011- Greg MC Elroy

2009- Sanchez 

2008- Erik Ainge

2006- Kellen Clemens

2003- Brooke Bollinger

2000- Pennington

1997- Chuck Clements

1994- Glen Foley

1992- Jeff Blake

1991- Browning Nagle

1990- Troy Taylor

I could go on.Yeah let's draft another QB. Jets really know how to pickem. 

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

LOL wants to compare Fitz to a 1st round second year QB with 36 td passes☺

Lets hope Jets trade Fitz for Bortles K?

Bortles is a bust.  Can't make reads, inaccurate, turns the ball over a lot.

I'd take his girlfriend Lindsey Duke tho

2 hours ago, papz187 said:

The Jets did EXACTLY that for Sanchez in terms of support. They had the best OLine and run game AND defense in his first season, and all were top 5 in his second season. Granted it went down hill in year 3, but you can't consistently have the best of the best at every spot, it's not realistic and eventually your pick has to develop and be able to carry more of the load.

Dak is playing much better this year than Sanchez did in his rookie and second season despite both having great OLine play and great run games. You can make multiple arguments why that's how it is, but lack of support around them isn't one of them.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

No I wont be baited into a backdoor defense of Sanchez!!! :)

I specifically stated the year three of Sanchez tenure.and IMO Daks team and his current teammates are better than the Jets were in 2009 & 2010.  In both years the Jets barely made the playoffs, while the Boys have multiple MVP candidates....

Also I didn't want Sanchez starting in 2009 because he had only one year of starting college experience and no one in NFL history had taken their team to a Conference championship with as little experience as Sanchez did let alone a SB!

I still think as far as the organization went the worst thing that could have happend was the Jets going to the playoffs that deep because it masked the inexperience of the most important position, the QB, and it led the Jets to literally weaken the pieces around that already weak and definitely developing QB.

Things just seem to "happen" to the Jets.  They take O'Brien instead of Dan cause they have "secret" info.

Regarding Sanchez his own College HC, Pete Carroll, warned on the record that Sanchez wasn't ready to start.  HE WASN'T READY!!!

Then Jets fans get mad and upset when, guess what, Sanchez wasn't ready.  So I have been waiting since Sanchez' first game why the Jets coaching staff and organization ignored those warning signs?

I remembering posting then and folks saying to me "what did I know" and "look at the results" and then when the wheels fell off like I and some others said they would,  these same posters then said that I was a Sanchez apologist!!! Hahahhaha

Well no, I said Sanchez shouldn't be starting from the get go and said the same thing for Geno Smith and Smith had way more college experience than Sanchez.

On a more recent front it is like Fitz now.  Some posters said that Fitz was a big risk based on his past and then there is another group who says that we "had to sign Fitz".

For the record I was for bringing Glennon here from TB, because I lived in Buffalo, knew Fitz' ceiling and wanted an upgrade for this year if possible.

I thought that if the Jets did bring him back, Fitz should always be on a shot leash because of his history, and once again, we see the Jets Organization doing what NO ONE in the NFL would do, WITH NO CLEAR back-up plan (if Fitz pick six game couldn't get Geno in, then they didn't have a plan) and yet the Jets were still somehow expecting magical results.

2 hours ago, Green DNA said:

The Cowboys have won two playoff games since 1996.  They are very good this year, but not sure the contrast between the two organizations is that obvious.  

I am not being funny but I don't think that there is any comparison between the Jets Organization and the Cowboys. I am as big a homer as you can get but no way can we compare ourselves as an organization to the Boys. You magically cut off the date for playoffs so as to exclude the Cowboys Championship Dynasties!!!!

I think everyone, well most everyone :) would be giving the Jets a pass if we had an All Time Great Dynasty, we could point to over the last quarter of a century.

And the Jets don't get a pass from me for having one of the worst teams in the NFL this year because 6 and 7 years ago we went to a Conference Championship and lost.

I do understand what you are saying but I think Jerry Jones has forgotten more about football than the Jets Brass knows put together.

6 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

A very team....makes sense.

So its Bortles fault the Jags defense is close to last every season.

He had a breakout year last year only his second in the league.

The Jets have nothing resembling him on the roster.

He's not good, infortunatly all our QBs are just like him.  

Not sure what breakout year you think he had but he may be available thisnoff season 

18 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Bortles is a very good QB on a sh!t team.

Blake Bortles has more pick six's than wins and outside of a suspect line, that offense is loaded with talent.  

He's really bad.

He's a QB who openly admits he's not a natural thrower of the Football.  How is that possible? 

2 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Bortles is a bust.  Can't make reads, inaccurate, turns the ball over a lot.

I'd take his girlfriend Lindsey Duke tho

And he likes to party, a lot.  You see him out at Jax Beach bars all the time.  I've got friends who work for the team, they say he's the last in, first out type of guy.

Also, remember when I said Allen Robinson would have a huge decline in numbers and that he's not all that and that Marquise Lee is the more talented player?  I was right, in both categories. ;-)

5 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I got burned on Blake Bortles in fantasy because of this very reason. I didn't watch a lot of their games but I saw his numbers last season and thought he was well on his way. Especially with the skill talent he had on offense.

I wish I would have seen him play more last season. In fantasy, all that matters are stats but still. I have a feeling if I watched him, I wouldn't have drafted him as early as I did this season.

Yup he went early in My league. In terms of fantasy qbs he was probably one of the better ones last year especially when you take into account he was most likely a waiver wire pick up for most last year. But actual Qb? He did not impress Me at all. He just relies too much on his arm and not his brain imo

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I am not being funny but I don't think that there is any comparison between the Jets Organization and the Cowboys. I am as big a homer as you can get but no way can we compare ourselves as an organization to the Boys. You magically cut off the date for playoffs so as to exclude the Cowboys Championship Dynasties!!!!

I think everyone, well most everyone :) would be giving the Jets a pass if we had an All Time Great Dynasty, we could point to over the last quarter of a century.

And the Jets don't get a pass from me for having one of the worst teams in the NFL this year because 6 and 7 years ago we went to a Conference Championship and lost.

I do understand what you are saying but I think Jerry Jones has forgotten more about football than the Jets Brass knows put together.

Not defending the Jets because they are the definition of sucktitude, however they have more playoff appearances and won more playoff games than the Cowboys in the past 20 years.  The dynasty years were the early 90's, which is quite a long time ago.   I gave up the "but we won the SB in 69" ghost a quite a while back, even though it was the most iconic SB game of all time. 

1- Don't know Petty's potential.
2- Don't know if Hack is the guy.
If anything get a Veteran QB to carry the team or go with Petty and Hack on a total rebuild.
And just how good are the Jets at drafting QBs. They haven't drafted a great QB in 26 years. A couple decent ones maybe. We need to keep drafting more QBs because that's what the Jets do best. Want a history lesson brother:
2016- Hackenburg
2015- Petty
2014- Tajh Boyd
2013- Geno
2011- Greg MC Elroy
2009- Sanchez 
2008- Erik Ainge
2006- Kellen Clemens
2003- Brooke Bollinger
2000- Pennington
1997- Chuck Clements
1994- Glen Foley
1992- Jeff Blake
1991- Browning Nagle
1990- Troy Taylor
I could go on.Yeah let's draft another QB. Jets really know how to pickem. 

1. You don't know Petty's potential. He could be the next Russell Wilson or Tom Brady. Or he could be amongst the gigantic scrap heap of sh*tty QB's drafted as late as he was. When I place bets, I go with the odds.

2. Don't know if Hack is the guy. See point 1 above, along with the fact the guy isn't even good enough to put pads on in a game. The team would rather go with Bilal Powell running Wildcat than him. I'll spare you the drama-Hack sucks right now, and the odds he gets to sit on the bench in peace for the next 3 years to 'develop' are nil.

3. You made such a cute list of failed Jets QB's I applaud your effort, I do. So, of those QB's how many were top 5 draft picks? Of those QB's how many were considered bonafide concensus blue chip top QB talents? I'll give the answer-one top 5, none bonafide blue chip prospects. You whine that our QB draft picks suck, I contend it's because in almost 50 years we haven't even made an attempt at a true QB prospect.

5 hours ago, Snell41 said:

1. You don't know Petty's potential. He could be the next Russell Wilson or Tom Brady. Or he could be amongst the gigantic scrap heap of sh*tty QB's drafted as late as he was. When I place bets, I go with the odds.

2. Don't know if Hack is the guy. See point 1 above, along with the fact the guy isn't even good enough to put pads on in a game. The team would rather go with Bilal Powell running Wildcat than him. I'll spare you the drama-Hack sucks right now, and the odds he gets to sit on the bench in peace for the next 3 years to 'develop' are nil.

3. You made such a cute list of failed Jets QB's I applaud your effort, I do. So, of those QB's how many were top 5 draft picks? Of those QB's how many were considered bonafide concensus blue chip top QB talents? I'll give the answer-one top 5, none bonafide blue chip prospects. You whine that our QB draft picks suck, I contend it's because in almost 50 years we haven't even made an attempt at a true QB prospect.

1) I don't jump the gun like you do on my judgment of a QB based on his place in the draft pick or watching him in play in a couple games with a shaky O-line. He needs more time to determine his worth.

2) Hack was slated early to be red shirted this year. That's the plan and they are sticking with it. So he hasn't had 1 snap in the NFL and in your infinite wisdom, he sucks.

3) The list is the facts of the last 26 years of QB draft picks from the Jets. I don't pick them, the Jets did. I'm not whining just giving you a history lesson of Jets draft picks on QBs.

So who is the Franchise QB pick in the 2017 draft that your so excited about picking up, Kitzer, Trubisky, Watson? And then who starts next year? Apparently the draft pick because Petty and Hack suck according to you. So the Jets go into the 2017 season with a rookie QB. That's a great strategy!!!

1) I don't jump the gun like you do on my judgment of a QB based on his place in the draft pick or watching him in play in a couple games with a shaky O-line. He needs more time to determine his worth.
2) Hack was slated early to be red shirted this year. That's the plan and they are sticking with it. So he hasn't had 1 snap in the NFL and in your infinite wisdom, he sucks.
3) The list is the facts of the last 26 years of QB draft picks from the Jets. I don't pick them, the Jets did. I'm not whining just giving you a history lesson of Jets draft picks on QBs.
So who is the Franchise QB pick in the 2017 draft that your so excited about picking up, Kitzer, Trubisky, Watson? And then who starts next year? Apparently the draft pick because Petty and Hack suck according to you. So the Jets go into the 2017 season with a rookie QB. That's a great strategy!!!

That's exactly what they do. Draft a top tier rookie and leave Hack in the bench. If the rookie we drafted fails, which is a good possibility too (top tier draft picks fail too, just at a much more reasonable rate than later picks), then your boy Hack will have had his years sitting on the bench waiting for his light to go off with relative anonymity. If the rookie pans out then Hack is either insurance or a bargaining chip. Going all in on Hack with all his flaws is suicide.

On 12/19/2016 at 3:38 PM, Integrity28 said:

It's amazing to me, sometimes, how easy it is to lose sight of the fine line between being a productive player and a washout. As the Jets try to develop a QB amongst the two they've rostered the past 2 years, the Jaguars took one at the top of the draft and steadily damaged him over time... rather than building on where he was entering the league. 

I guess, if Hack ends up not working out, at least he only comes at the cost of a 2nd rounder... could you imagine investing several years into Bortles and then seeing this... ???

What's funny is that Bortles put up big numbers in garbage time last year which led everyone in Jacksonville to think that he had turned the corner and was ready for a breakout year. 

No one bothered to look at his situational stats. They actually told the real story. Turned out he only threw TDs when trailing. Something like 85% of his TD passes came with the team trailing by double digits. And 75% of his interceptions were thrown with the team tied or leading, which was amazing because his team was rarely tied or leading, mostly because of his interceptions. 

Bortles has definitely taken a step back this year with his mechanics. But its not as big a step as people think. 

Bortles biggest issue has always been his head. He doesn't play well with any kind of pressure. When he is trailing by 2-3 scores in the second half he relaxes and just plays. The numbers he put up in second halves last year were pretty astonishing. They made him one of the most reliable fantasy QBs in the league. It was so stark that I started referring to the prevent defense as "The Bortles."

36 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

That's exactly what they do. Draft a top tier rookie and leave Hack in the bench. If the rookie we drafted fails, which is a good possibility too (top tier draft picks fail too, just at a much more reasonable rate than later picks), then your boy Hack will have had his years sitting on the bench waiting for his light to go off with relative anonymity. If the rookie pans out then Hack is either insurance or a bargaining chip. Going all in on Hack with all his flaws is suicide.

Why not sign a Veteran QB and have the usual QB drama we do every year. Then if Petty and Hack aren't the guys at least we have a viable QB that can win games. If we go with another rookie then we have 3 unknowns at QB. Maybe the Jets keep Fitz or Geno for another year... not that I'm crazy about that idea. We need our draft picks to shore up the O-Line and Secondary.

Why not sign a Veteran QB and have the usual QB drama we do every year. Then if Petty and Hack aren't the guys at least we have a viable QB that can win games. If we go with another rookie then we have 3 unknowns at QB. Maybe the Jets keep Fitz or Geno for another year... not that I'm crazy about that idea. We need our draft picks to shore up the O-Line and Secondary.

Because a veteran gives us zero long term returns, and probably zero short term returns too. A draft pick could actually amount to something.

If we don't draft a QB we have one unknown and 2 known sh*tty QB's. Your plan banks on Hack actually being something good. That's a pie in the sky Dream, and the odds are way against him. The last thing in the world this team should be doing is playing a veteran solely to develop Hack. If Hack turns out to be a pile of dogsh*t we've wasted 4 years with no alternative but to spend the next 2 years praying we draft a guy, or sign another sh*tty hold the fort veteran.

On 12/19/2016 at 2:38 PM, Integrity28 said:

It's amazing to me, sometimes, how easy it is to lose sight of the fine line between being a productive player and a washout. As the Jets try to develop a QB amongst the two they've rostered the past 2 years, the Jaguars took one at the top of the draft and steadily damaged him over time... rather than building on where he was entering the league. 

I guess, if Hack ends up not working out, at least he only comes at the cost of a 2nd rounder... could you imagine investing several years into Bortles and then seeing this... ???

and only another 2nd rounder for Petty!

So if the Jets draft another QB in 17 and he's a bust how far out are we now. And we're gonna throw a rookie out there his first year. That hasn't worked very good in the past. Mike Glennon is a free agent this year, been in the league for a few years, RGIII might be available. There may be some others that become available. I'm not suggesting a Romo or a Cutler but someone who could QB a few years if Petty and Hack bust. But I think if Hack works on his footwork and accuracy in the off season he could be the guy. He has the head and QB IQ. Petty has the physical talent and needs to improve on his reads. That's why he got squished in that play last week. Should have saw those guys on the end coming but the snap may have been messed up too. And I've seen where he should audibled out of some plays last week. 

2 hours ago, MaxAF said:

So if the Jets draft another QB in 17 and he's a bust how far out are we now. And we're gonna throw a rookie out there his first year. That hasn't worked very good in the past. Mike Glennon is a free agent this year, been in the league for a few years, RGIII might be available. There may be some others that become available. I'm not suggesting a Romo or a Cutler but someone who could QB a few years if Petty and Hack bust. But I think if Hack works on his footwork and accuracy in the off season he could be the guy. He has the head and QB IQ. Petty has the physical talent and needs to improve on his reads. That's why he got squished in that play last week. Should have saw those guys on the end coming but the snap may have been messed up too. And I've seen where he should audibled out of some plays last week. 

Mike Glennon sucks. If he was any good, the Bucs wouldn't have even been in a position to draft Jameis Winston in the first place and he'd be their starter. RGIII is done. Romo should be forced to retire as he can't seem to put on a uniform without injuring himself at this point. Cutler is the only one you mentioned that I might be interested in but he'd have to restructure to a very cap friendly contract.

The Jets should draft a QB this year. The Jets should draft a QB every year until they find one. 

They were making fun of fans for saying bortles needs to change his mechanics on the nfl network saying that most fans didn't even know what that meant. I think its early still for the jags to give up on bortles, the kid can still be a decent nfl qb he just needs the right coaching staff.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

They were making fun of fans for saying bortles needs to change his mechanics on the nfl network saying that most fans didn't even know what that meant. I think its early still for the jags to give up on bortles, the kid can still be a decent nfl qb he just needs the right coaching staff.

Who was making fun of them? 

Because I will make fun of those idiots because they clearly haven't watched Bortles play recently. His delivery is completely screwed up.

Because I will make fun of those idiots because they clearly haven't watched Bortles play recently. His delivery is completely screwed up.

Idk who the guys are on the nfl radio and I don't think they were saying his mechanics didn't need work I think more or less they were saying that alot of the fans who were complaining don't even understand what is wrong with the mechanics.

2 hours ago, Klecko73isGod said:

It's not just his delivery.  Bortles can't read a defense unless it's a preven dime with all the DBs playing 10 yards off LOS

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

They're hiring Coughlin to try to fix him.

Meanwhile we get stuck with Bowels for another horrible season

They're hiring Coughlin to try to fix him.

Meanwhile we get stuck with Bowels for another horrible season

Honestly they might be alright with marone wouldn't mind seeing him get another chance I thought he did a decent job in buffalo

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Honestly they might be alright with marone wouldn't mind seeing him get another chance I thought he did a decent job in buffalo

They want the big name which is Coughlin

I would take Marrone on the jets to replace Bowels

2 hours ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Mike Glennon sucks. If he was any good, the Bucs wouldn't have even been in a position to draft Jameis Winston in the first place and he'd be their starter. RGIII is done. Romo should be forced to retire as he can't seem to put on a uniform without injuring himself at this point. Cutler is the only one you mentioned that I might be interested in but he'd have to restructure to a very cap friendly contract.

The Jets should draft a QB this year. The Jets should draft a QB every year until they find one. 

I don't know if Glennon sucks.... I would say he's unproven. If you saw my previous post the Jets have not drafted a decent QB in I don't know when. Not sure it's a good idea to go with Petty, Hack and a rookie next year unless they decide to go 2-14 in 2017. And if the draft pick is a bust we're back at square 1 in 2018 and beyond. There may be some decent QBs on the trade block next year that aren't at the end of their careers. If you look at some of the QB draft picks last year Goff, Wentz, Prescott and Lynch who would guess that Wentz and Prescott would look the best of the bunch. DPs are a gamble at best. Need a definite starter if they plan on winning games.

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

I don't know if Glennon sucks.... I would say he's unproven. If you saw my previous post the Jets have not drafted a decent QB in I don't know when. Not sure it's a good idea to go with Petty, Hack and a rookie next year unless they decide to go 2-14 in 2017. And if the draft pick is a bust we're back at square 1 in 2018 and beyond. There may be some decent QBs on the trade block next year that aren't at the end of their careers. If you look at some of the QB draft picks last year Goff, Wentz, Prescott and Lynch who would guess that Wentz and Prescott would look the best of the bunch. DPs are a gamble at best. Need a definite starter if they plan on winning games.

Glennon is the guy we need to sign but watch us F that up and he goes to the Broncos or Rams now that Gruden is going there

Archived