Jets special teams coach Brant Boyer: 'Hell, no, I don't want to get fired'

Gas2No99

Jets special teams coach Brant Boyer: 'Hell, no, I don't want to get fired'

Dolphins Jets Football
Miami Dolphins free safety Walt Aikens (35) recovers a blocked punt against New York Jets punter Lac Edwards (4) and runs it in for a touchdown during the third quarter of an NFL football game, Saturday, Dec. 17, 2016, in East Rutherford, N.J. (AP Photo | Bill Kostroun)
Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on December 21, 2016 at 4:33 PM, updated December 21, 2016 at 5:01 PM

FLORHAM PARK -- It's pretty hard to believe. Brant Boyer inherited one of the worst special teams units in the NFL ... and then made them the worst special teams unit in the NFL.

In 2015, Football Outsiders ranked the Jets' special teams efficiency 25th in the league. This year, through 14 weeks, they're dead last. Considering the former resulted in a job opening, it's easy to see why Boyer's seat could be getting a bit warm.

Boyer just hopes that's not the case.

"Hell, no, I don't want to get fired," Boyer said on Wednesday.

Putting all these issues on Boyer is hard. Certainly some things have been out of his hands. Thanks to an abundance of injuries, many of the players Boyer counted on to have leadership roles have been taken away. They couldn't play special teams. The Jets needed them on offense or defense.

Their replacements? An ever-changing rotation of roster castoffs from other teams.

Of the 11 players who took the field on the kickoff return in last week's loss to the Dolphins, just three -- Darron Lee, Bruce Carter, Marcus Williams -- were actually on the Week 1 roster.

"It's tough, I'm not going to lie, but that's part of the profession," Boyer said. "Guys who just got here two days ago? You show them what to do, and you try to bring them along. You bring them along slowly. At the end of the day, can they get the job done in the first week or two? You don't know.

"It has been a frustrating year, there have been some injuries, but there is no excuse for me. It's my job to get these kids ready. We'll get it done."

But it doesn't excuse the somewhat regular miscues by Boyer's unit, though. Just last week, a blown protection scheme resulted in a blocked punt, the Jets second of the season. The Dolphins picked the ball up and ran it in for a touchdown as part of their 20-point deficit inflation in the span of four minutes.

Rookie punter Lachlan Edwards has been more bad than good. Kicker Nick Folk has struggled with inconsistencies. The return game, again, has been anemic.

It's one thing after another for Boyer. He patches one hole, just to see three more burst out. He called this the "toughest" year of his career. He just hopes it's not his last year with the Jets.

"I learned a long time ago when I'm playing that if they can fire Peyton Manning, coaches, they can fire anybody, you do it long enough in this league, you're going to get fired," Boyer said. "Do I hope that happens? Hell no I don't. I busted my ass to do the best I can here.

"I want to stay here. I want to finish the job I started."

Special Teams is where you feel the effects of terrible drafts the most. Late round picks are the lifeline of special teams. Considering Idzik wiped out 2 full years of drafts and Tanny was always trading away picks, it's easy to see why we suck on SpT's. you can't put this on the coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Special Teams is where you feel the effects of terrible drafts the most. Late round picks are the lifeline of special teams. Considering Idzik wiped out 2 full years of drafts and Tanny was always trading away picks, it's easy to see why we suck on SpT's. you can't put this on the coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lets not blame this on Tanny n Idzik shall we? We've been the worst ST unit the past two seasons. Macc had MORE than enough ammo to pick his guys. This is purely on Macc n CS.  

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

In the crazy world of the Jets, all it will take is for a couple of "veteran team leaders" to lobby Woody like they did for Shi*zpatrick. Not only will Boyer be back, but probably with a raise .

You guys really overrate that

$hitxpatrick got resigned because Mac didn't have the balls to trade for Glennon. 

Hate go down this road again but firing our ST coaches two years in a row shows there's bigger problems.  Woody should open the wallet and bring Westhoff back as a consultant/asst. coach.  Let him work with Boyer and straighten out the ST's.  He doesn't have to travel with the team or be in the sidelines but bring him into camp, let him be involved in choosing the ST's personal and be in the building every week reviewing the schemes.  With how bad our ST's has been over the past two years Bowles should be sitting in on those meetings too, he is the Head Coach and doesn't just get absolved from this,

9 hours ago, SR24 said:

I don't want any coaches back in 2017 lol

+1  Drain the swamp

Idiot, "hell no he doesn't want to get fired"? LMFAO. The worst ST's in history and he doesn't want to get fired. Hey genius, here's a 10 year extension. LOL

I think part of this is the FO's inability to sign a decent return man which means spend money on that important role. They keep using guys off of the FA wire and don't seem to take this seriously. The O has had problems some of it because they often start off with poor field position like inside their own 10 yard line. I know that the return game has changed a lot with so many kickoffs going int he end zone (and it's good to get the ball on the 25-it's decent field position). But the Jets rarely get a good punt of a KO return. To me they have to get someone who can do that job and is a threat at all times to break one. Even if the guy has no other role on the team getting better field position and sometimes a long return is worth it. I would peel off some bills to get a good return guy for next season.

10 hours ago, j4jets said:

Lets not blame this on Tanny n Idzik shall we? We've been the worst ST unit the past two seasons. Macc had MORE than enough ammo to pick his guys. This is purely on Macc n CS.  

You would think so but you'd be wrong. He's had two years and he's had to plug major holes in many units and guys expecting to start. He hasn't been able to fill in the specials with later round picks because those picks are being used for guys who can play major roles in the other units, especially with the litany of injuries this team has has this season. Injuries and ineffective drafts means bad special teams. Period. 

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You would think so but you'd be wrong. He's had two years and he's had to plug major holes in many units and guys expecting to start. He hasn't been able to fill in the specials with later round picks because those picks are being used for guys who can play major roles in the other units, especially with the litany of injuries this team has has this season. Injuries and ineffective drafts means bad special teams. Period. 

He had like $40mil in cap space the first year and some high draft picks. Lets not act like Tanny and Idzik are the reason we are in cap hell. Macc had plenty of amo and a pretty good core of players to work with. We are not the Browns or the Jags. He made the call to throw money all these big name players and so far NONE of them have panned out (Revis, Mo, Fitz, Cro, Clady), unless you wanna try to convince me all those players were Woody's guys? 

24 minutes ago, j4jets said:

He had like $40mil in cap space the first year and some high draft picks. Lets not act like Tanny and Idzik are the reason we are in cap hell. Macc had plenty of amo and a pretty good core of players to work with. We are not the Browns or the Jags. He made the call to throw money all these big name players and so far NONE of them have panned out (Revis, Mo, Fitz, Cro, Clady), unless you wanna try to convince me all those players were Woody's guys? 

Pretty good core of players? Are you serious? The cupboard was pretty bare when Macc took over. I'm not sure why people think this is a very talented team. It's not. 

Archived