Looking at Macc's 2 drafts.

UnitedWhofans

5 minutes ago, kmnj said:

he drafted what could be argued is the best draft our franchise has ever had for one season

Ellis

Abraham

Pennington

Bect

Coles

throw  in getting curtis martin for us too

He also screwed the Jets for the next 18 years because he wouldn't guarantee Archie Manning that he would take Payton with the #1 pick overall so Payton went back to Tennessee. That is fact! Plus he had 4-1st round picks that year, 2 in a row with Ellis & Abraham! Now Coles was a find.

How were his other drafts where he didn't have 4 first round picks?

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, gEYno said:

I know what you mean, but what you mean has a huge logical flaw which you yourself have succumbed to.

We are fans, we are not experts.  We have opinions and are not held to the same standards as the man getting paid to lead the team.  The professional is supposed to make the best and most accurate decisions, as you've pointed out.  If Macc isn't expected to perform better than I am, why does he have the job and not me, and what qualifications does one need to be a GM?

Here's a real life example: I work in healthcare.  Patients often tell me what they think their treatment plan ought to be.  Often times, those patients are way off-base and said plan would have significant consequences.  However, in your model, I should have no liability whatsoever to the patient, if I make the same decision as a patient, even if it's wrong, because it's what the patient wanted.  They cannot be upset, despite the fact that I'm the one with the education, the fancy degree, and the experience to know better than what they may have read on the internet.  This would certainly make my life easier, as I wouldn't need to think, and just go along with what people say based on what they read on WebMD.  

Weren't you the one saying you couldn't afford a Tesla?? Your a doctor and you can't afford a Tesla? What are you a podiatrist or some sh*t like that??

9 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Weren't you the one saying you couldn't afford a Tesla?? Your a doctor and you can't afford a Tesla? What are you a podiatrist or some sh*t like that??

1) I'm not an MD

2) Your memory of my positing history is equal parts flattering and creepy.

26 minutes ago, gEYno said:

1) I'm not an MD

2) Your memory of my positing history is equal parts flattering and creepy.

Don't be flattered, I had just ordered my P85D when you posted that, so it stuck in my head.

And don't be creeped out, I like female nurses much better than male nurses.

3 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Don't be flattered, I had just ordered my P85D when you posted that, so it stuck in my head.

And don't be creeped out, I like female nurses much better than male nurses.

I hope you enjoy the car.  I'm not a nurse.

6 hours ago, kmnj said:

he drafted what could be argued is the best draft our franchise has ever had for one season

Ellis

Abraham

Pennington

Bect

Coles

throw  in getting curtis martin for us too

He also trade down from the number #1 pick in a daft that had multiple HOFers for a third round and bunch of lower picks.  He got Farrior who was a back up most of his time here and a bunch of camp fodder.  Absolutely terrible drafter.  The only thing he could do was was draft and develop OL.  Fabini, Randy Thomas, Ryan Young, etc.. But he couldn't and wouldn't draft or developed a QB or RB as he found lightning in a bottle with Vinny and gave away multiple picks for CuMart.

Parcells was a master of the quick fix.  He wasn't interested in drafting Peyton Manning and waiting for him to get good.

On 1/4/2017 at 9:06 AM, LIJetsFan said:

I can't argue with most of this post but a D is still a little harsh.  

Take away Williams and what do you give him? Because he didn't shrewdly acquire the 6th pick in the country with the draft's top prospect still on the board. He's been given a lot of credit for an obviously safe, sure thing pick.

So given that, ask yourself this: who's his 2nd best draft pick?

Any player that's clearly shown he's going to be a quality starter for a long time in this league? Before you answer, remember that in calling bad picks "too early to tell" you'd have to apply that same logic to players you consider good picks. Then remember this team was so bad there was plenty of opportunity to stand out. 

So if you want to credit him for not taking a mega-reach, bust prospect over Leonard Williams, then fine. Bump it to a D+.

19 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Take away Williams and what do you give him? Because he didn't shrewdly acquire the 6th pick in the country with the draft's top prospect still on the board. He's been given a lot of credit for an obviously safe, sure thing pick.

I think Brandon Shell and Justin Burris showed alot of potential this past season.  Darron Lee I still think was the right choice in the first round last year Lynch would have set us back another 5 years and the only player I would have thought was a better pick there was Hunter Henry

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

A player that's clearly shown he's going to be a quality starter for a long time in this league? Before you answer, remember that in calling bad picks "too early to tell" you'd have to apply that same logic to players you consider good picks. Then remember this team was so bad there was plenty of opportunity to stand out. 

So if you want to credit him for not taking a mega-reach, bust prospect over Leonard Williams, then fine. Bump it to a D+.

In 2015 Bowles played some 4-3 defense but mostly had the roster appropriate 3-4 alignments.  Not surprisingly most of Mac's "bust" FA signings played fairly well and the defense was well organized.  Mac's rookies were underutilized but were contributing.  Bowles was a 3-4 DC.  Mac set up a 3-4 roster!  

IN 2016 for over half the season our HC went to a 4-3 alignment and the defense fell apart.  Mac's FA's looked like garbage, again rookies were underutilized in the face of under performing vets, and he even had Mauldin gain weight to "fix" him although he has a fairly successful rookie season.

So, granted the roster looks like crap right now but, who did you say this was on?  

On 1/2/2017 at 3:40 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

B to B-, I would say, overall. SOlid B for drafting

Seems to get good value from the lower end.  Never understood Devin Smith.  One trick pony.  And turns out to be brittle.  Hack?  I never saw him take one snap in college, so....

11 hours ago, thadude said:

I think Brandon Shell and Justin Burris showed alot of potential this past season.  Darron Lee I still think was the right choice in the first round last year Lynch would have set us back another 5 years and the only player I would have thought was a better pick there was Hunter Henry

Showing some early promise makes none of them good picks. Especially Burris, who got burned enough that a nickname could be formed with more playing time. Hopefully not, but that's reality so far.

Shell has played 1/4 of one season.

Lee was a terrible choice because it's just poor positional value for the 20h overall selection.  It remains to be seen if he's a better selection than Lynch, or anyone that plays a premium-dollar position. He's the kind of guy you get in the mid rounds, or in free agency for less than half what Mo cost, even if he's good. 

Maccagnan - and Idzik in 2014 - have taken the path of drafting cheap positions early, which leaves the team to fill the expensive ones through free agency. It's bass ackwards. A smart team has the luxury of taking safeties, TEs, ILBers in Lee's mold, and RTs with early picks IF they've already filled pricey ones: QB, pass rushing DE-OLB, LT, #1 CB, and frankly #2 CB. 

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

In 2015 Bowles played some 4-3 defense but mostly had the roster appropriate 3-4 alignments.  Not surprisingly most of Mac's "bust" FA signings played fairly well and the defense was well organized.  Mac's rookies were underutilized but were contributing.  Bowles was a 3-4 DC.  Mac set up a 3-4 roster!  

IN 2016 for over half the season our HC went to a 4-3 alignment and the defense fell apart.  Mac's FA's looked like garbage, again rookies were underutilized in the face of under performing vets, and he even had Mauldin gain weight to "fix" him although he has a fairly successful rookie season.

So, granted the roster looks like crap right now but, who did you say this was on?  

Totally agree. In defense of Bowles, he's got 3-4 linemen and his 1st round draft pick looks like a tailor-made 4-3 kid who can cover twice the lateral area of a David Harris type. We don't have the quicker/faster ends for the 4-3 Bowles wants to run, but all the DLmen Maccagnan supplied him with are DT bodies that can certainly slide out to end for obvious running downs but aren't chasing down QBs once they get outside the pocket. 

44 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Totally agree. In defense of Bowles, he's got 3-4 linemen and his 1st round draft pick looks like a tailor-made 4-3 kid who can cover twice the lateral area of a David Harris type. We don't have the quicker/faster ends for the 4-3 Bowles wants to run, but all the DLmen Maccagnan supplied him with are DT bodies that can certainly slide out to end for obvious running downs but aren't chasing down QBs once they get outside the pocket. 

So, you're upgrading to a C then, or C- at worst? :) Come on Sperm, it's ok!  I don't grade him higher because I wanted him to tag Snacks instead of Mo and get a nice comp pick for Mo instead.  Damn rookie GM's :) 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well, no. That would be justification to bump the grade for Bowles, not Maccagnan. 

B)

IMHO Bowles mishandled an ok roster but I see you disagree.  I think Bowles is worse than Mac you think the opposite?  

3 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

IMHO Bowles mishandled an ok roster but I see you disagree.  I think Bowles is worse than Mac you think the opposite?  

I don't think Bowles is any better. He was pining for the return of a QB with whom he'd never sat through an offensive meeting all year long. He lost the locker room, no matter what anyone said. He's needed too much learning on the job for a guy who's been in the NFL for most of his life.

I think they've both been pretty bad. Whichever one might be considered nominally better is irrelevant IMO. A great HC wasn't likely taking Maccagnan's roster to the SB, and Bowles wasn't likely taking any team's roster to the SB.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Showing some early promise makes none of them good picks. Especially Burris, who got burned enough that a nickname could be formed with more playing time. Hopefully not, but that's reality so far.

Shell has played 1/4 of one season.

Lee was a terrible choice because it's just poor positional value for the 20h overall selection.  It remains to be seen if he's a better selection than Lynch, or anyone that plays a premium-dollar position. He's the kind of guy you get in the mid rounds, or in free agency for less than half what Mo cost, even if he's good. 

Maccagnan - and Idzik in 2014 - have taken the path of drafting cheap positions early, which leaves the team to fill the expensive ones through free agency. It's bass ackwards. A smart team has the luxury of taking safeties, TEs, ILBers in Lee's mold, and RTs with early picks IF they've already filled pricey ones: QB, pass rushing DE-OLB, LT, #1 CB, and frankly #2 CB. 

Burris - Revis got burnt as a rookie I remember Randy Moss with about 4-5 steps on him not even at full speed.  

Lee - I'm looking at the draft on Wikipedia right now I'm not seeing who was such a better pick.  Lynch would have set us back several years -- we actually have a shot at Sam Darnold next season.  Tread well looked very bad in Minnesota and Will Fuller is a glorified Robbie Anderson

Shell - yes he played 1/4 but he looked good

As for as positional value goes I think it's kinda overrated.  Are we supposed to pass on a safety like Peppers for Mitch Trubisky?

52 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well, no. That would be justification to bump the grade for Bowles, not Maccagnan. 

B)

Im a bit confused with your stance. I heard you say many times that last years team should have been a 13-3 team or better based on the schedule and the talent we had.

We pretty much had the same talent this year pre injuries, maybe even better.

I know we had a relatively easy schedule last year, but even with that, to go 13-3, you need to be damn good in the modern NFL. 

This year your, and last year you bashed Maccagnan for his moves, yet, the team was a 4 win team the year before he took it over. Can you help me understand your stance a bit? Its hard to imagine a poor job from the GM that would lead from a 4 win team to a 13 win team in one year, even with a cake schedule like that.

3 hours ago, thadude said:

Burris - Revis got burnt as a rookie I remember Randy Moss with about 4-5 steps on him not even at full speed.  

Lee - I'm looking at the draft on Wikipedia right now I'm not seeing who was such a better pick.  Lynch would have set us back several years -- we actually have a shot at Sam Darnold next season.  Tread well looked very bad in Minnesota and Will Fuller is a glorified Robbie Anderson

Shell - yes he played 1/4 but he looked good

As for as positional value goes I think it's kinda overrated.  Are we supposed to pass on a safety like Peppers for Mitch Trubisky?

No doubt, but before we start calling him Revis II, let's see if he becomes basically the best football player I ever saw in the next 2 years. Because you know who else got burned as rookies? Lots of bums.

Lynch would not have set us back several years unless he is a bust that the team stubbornly trotted out there for several years (like Sanchez). Much like you're touting Burris, it isn't yet known whether or not Lynch is a bust, or even below average.

Who else was there for the taking? Well for one, Tunsil. Our final bid was a stubborn refusal to pay the chart value the Giants asked for. So we have Lee and Hackenberg instead of Tunsil. Cute part about that is we'd then have been looking for a QB in rounds 3 or 4 -- Dak Prescott's projected draft rounds. Knowing what we know now, we could have dropped back a dozen or so slots to pick up an extra 4th rounder, and still ended up with Burris. 

Positional value is not even slightly overrated. It is all-important for a team with holes at very expensive positions. There isn't enough cap room to go around to keep filling those positions in free agency. However you most definitely can find a good-enough starters at safety and ILB and TE in free agency, and still have plenty of change leftover to upgrade elsewhere.

@thadude

Re: positional value.

One hopes for a great player; one does not 100% expect it (even if some players are safer picks than others). Point is, if we end up with a legit starter, even if an unspectacular one, at QB - LT - outside pass rusher - CB, then it's still quite arguably a worthwhile pick. If you get the same out of a safety or ILB - a starter but meh - then it's a big failure. 

For example, say you drafted a LT in round 1. He isn't the perennial pro bower you wanted or expected at #6, but he's solid/reliable for several years, like Jason Fabini. It's still not a bad pick, because you've adequately filled a position that's mega-expensive to fill via free agency alone. He's not so easily replaced for dirt cheap in free agency. Same if you've drafted a QB and he's not Aaron Rodgers but he is Eli Manning (who goes an entire career without leading the league in anything except interceptions -- three times at that). Not elite, but history has shown he's enough, at a key/expensive position, to win a superbowl (or two).  At CB, you don't end up with Darrelle Revis, but you did get a Marcus Trufant. You get these players for cheap for 4 years, and very reasonably-priced for a 5th year, even if you don't end up re-signing him. But on that front, you'd have the inside track on extending him for less than he'd get as a full UFA in a bidding war with 31 other teams.

Now think the same for an ILB, and instead of Ray Lewis you end up with AJ Hawk. Good player, solid player for years, but one that is replaceable almost any year in free agency...or in round 3. Instead of Eric Berry you get Mark Barron.  He's a legit starter, but easily replaced (and replaced fairly cheaply at that). 

Let's say Lee is just an ok player. Because of his position, that's not even good enough to warrant the 5th year team option since it would be a gross overpayment for just 1 season.

4 hours ago, NoBowles said:

Im a bit confused with your stance. I heard you say many times that last years team should have been a 13-3 team or better based on the schedule and the talent we had.

We pretty much had the same talent this year pre injuries, maybe even better.

I know we had a relatively easy schedule last year, but even with that, to go 13-3, you need to be damn good in the modern NFL. 

This year your, and last year you bashed Maccagnan for his moves, yet, the team was a 4 win team the year before he took it over. Can you help me understand your stance a bit? Its hard to imagine a poor job from the GM that would lead from a 4 win team to a 13 win team in one year, even with a cake schedule like that.

Then you either misunderstood, or are purposely misstating, my stance. (I suspect I know which). What I said was last year's schedule was so easy it had 13 wins written all over it if we were a little better (particularly at QB, despite all the excuses afforded to him for every loss). We got good-enough play elsewhere to be double-digit game winners against such doormats and backup players. Look at a player like Skrine: he looked just fine against a badly-slumping Tannehill last year, but quite a bit worse when the competition got stiffer (as much as I did enjoy the one Edelman hit).

Last year's schedule wasn't "relatively" easy -- this suggests it was merely a little easier than normal, which is like suggesting Aaron Rodgers is a "relatively" difficult QB to defend against. You would be hard-pressed to find an easier schedule for any team going back any number of years you choose: in 16 games, the only good+healthy team we faced all year long was the first Patriots game. 

You may personally find it hard to imagine, but you would also find it difficult to find a 4 win team that had so much spending flexibility either on top of an unexpectedly easy schedule (not to mention one of the 2014 games was childishly tanked by Rex to spite Idzik, and as bad as they were, a half dozen of those losses were close or at worst 1-score games). What Maccagnan did was burn through multiple years of cap space in a go-for-broke effort for 2015. We have little to nothing to show for it except more limited flexibility and fewer holes filled right now. That could have and should have been spent on building blocks for the team's future, instead burned on an improvement that was short lived and not good enough anyway. 

@NoBowles

It isn't difficult to spend 2+ years' worth of guarantees on players that prove worthy of only 1 year of starting. It's the reason the Jets had so little to spend on so many holes for 2016 (QB, LT, RT, NT, RB, CB2, LB, TE), and the reason there are even more starter holes hitting all at once for 2017 once that "easy to clear" cap room has been generated (QB, LT, RG, maybe C, maybe RT, TE, pass rushing OLB, ILB, CB1, CB2, NB, FS, maybe SS, and it would be nice to have one FB on the roster).

For all those holes to be justified, you'd think our GM just arrived here last week or last year, or when he did arrive there was no cap space left to him by his predecessor. 

5 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think it's the opposite. Macc's roster was not okay and Bowles had to try to make due. What kind of roster has 4 QBs and 4 TEs on it for the majority of the early part of the season. And people wonder why special teams were bad. 

Then you either misunderstood, or are purposely misstating, my stance. (I suspect I know which). What I said was last year's schedule was so easy it had 13 wins written all over it if we were a little better (particularly at QB, despite all the excuses afforded to him for every loss). We got good-enough play elsewhere to be double-digit game winners against such doormats and backup players. Look at a player like Skrine: he looked just fine against a badly-slumping Tannehill last year, but quite a bit worse when the competition got stiffer (as much as I did enjoy the one Edelman hit).

Last year's schedule wasn't "relatively" easy -- this suggests it was merely a little easier than normal, which is like suggesting Aaron Rodgers is a "relatively" difficult QB to defend against. You would be hard-pressed to find an easier schedule for any team going back any number of years you choose: in 16 games, the only good+healthy team we faced all year long was the first Cheaters game. 

You may personally find it hard to imagine, but you would also find it difficult to find a 4 win team that had so much spending flexibility either on top of an unexpectedly easy schedule (not to mention one of the 2014 games was childishly tanked by Rex to spite Idzik, and as bad as they were, a half dozen of those losses were close or at worst 1-score games). What Maccagnan did was burn through multiple years of cap space in a go-for-broke effort for 2015. We have little to nothing to show for it except more limited flexibility and fewer holes filled right now. That could have and should have been spent on building blocks for the team's future, instead burned on an improvement that was short lived and not good enough anyway. 

@NoBowles

It isn't difficult to spend 2+ years' worth of guarantees on players that prove worthy of only 1 year of starting. It's the reason the Jets had so little to spend on so many holes for 2016 (QB, LT, RT, NT, RB, CB2, LB, TE), and the reason there are even more starter holes hitting all at once for 2017 once that "easy to clear" cap room has been generated (QB, LT, RG, maybe C, maybe RT, TE, pass rushing OLB, ILB, CB1, CB2, NB, FS, maybe SS, and it would be nice to have one FB on the roster).

For all those holes to be justified, you'd think our GM just arrived here last week or last year, or when he did arrive there was no cap space left to him by his predecessor. 

Wowza!! You have left me speechless, and that is not easy to do! 

In retrospect, based on both need and value positions, one could argue that the right player to pick at 20 last year was Artie Burns.  Even Kevin Dodd.  Those are premium positions that the Jets are thin in.

Maybe it was Jaylon Smith?  I think Mac believes he has outsmarted the WR issue though, and let's see how the 3 picked after Lee ended up.  There are 3, so if one if them is a true WR1, that is not good either.

But I think the fair grade for Macc on his 2 drafts in INC.  He will do better if one or more of the following things happen:

1)   If Hack can start QB, even in 2018, he gets an A.

2)  If one or more of the following players can start:  Simon, D. Smith (WR3?), Mauldin (DPR?), Jenkins (he will start next year). Shell.

3)  Lee is a real impact NFL LB.  That is what you would expect from an ILB picked at 20.  He should be at least as good as Jamie Collins, who some think the Jets should sign if possible.

The players were terribly coached last year.  We really don't know what we have.  There remain many questions.  Let's see what 2017 brings.  

1 20 New York Jets Darron Lee  OLB Ohio State Big Ten  
  1 21 Houston Texans Will Fuller  WR Notre Dame Ind. (FBS) from Washington [R1 - 8]
  1 22 Washington Redskins Josh Doctson  WR TCU Big 12 from Houston [R1 - 9]
  1 23 Minnesota Vikings Laquon Treadwell  WR Ole Miss SEC  
  1 24 Cincinnati Bengals William Jackson III  CB Houston The American  
  1 25 Pittsburgh Steelers Artie Burns  CB Miami (FL) ACC  
  1 26 Denver Broncos Paxton Lynch  QB Memphis The American from Seattle [R1 - 10]
  1 27 Green Bay Packers Kenny Clark  DT UCLA Pac-12  
  1 28 San Francisco 49ers Joshua Garnett  G Stanford Pac-12 from Kansas City [R1 - 11]
  1 New England Cheaters Selection forfeited as a result of the Deflategate scandal[Forfeited 1]
  1 29 Arizona Cardinals Robert Nkemdiche  DT Ole Miss SEC  
  1 30 Carolina Panthers Vernon Butler  DT Louisiana Tech C-USA  
  1 31 Seattle Seahawks Germain Ifedi  OT Texas A&M SEC from Denver [R1 - 12]
  2 32 Cleveland Browns Emmanuel Ogbah  DE Oklahoma State Big 12  
  2 33 Tennessee Titans Kevin Dodd  OLB Clemson ACC  
  2 34 Dallas Cowboys Jaylon Smith  OLB Notre Dame Ind. (FBS)  
  2 35 San Diego Chargers Hunter Henry  TE Arkansas SEC

On 1/3/2017 at 1:43 PM, CrazyCarl40 said:

Revis deal in 2015 should have taught him a lesson about giving Mo the whopper he gave him this past offseason. Mistakes are meant to be learned from, not repeated. 

Hindsight is 20/20. Mo has been a productive player both on and off the field. In my opinion, it's hard to blame Mac for thinking Mo will not play as hard after the new contract. Yes, a lot of players across the league do that but Mo has been a good citizen. We're gonna have a problem if he turns around and gives a new contract to Sheldon. 

Archived