AFC East Runs Of Excellence

TuscanyTile2

Was thinking about our division and the runs of excellence (or at least "outstanding achievement in the field of excellence"):

Patriots: Since 2001 they've won 4 SBs (appeared in 6, and 7 after Sunday) and are shooting for a 5th title.  Superstar QB: Tom Brady

Bills: Boy they love losing Superbowls but they did appear in 4 straight Superbowls in the early 90's.  Superstar QB: Jim Kelly

Dolphins: They were one of the great teams in the 70's all the way through the mid-80's.  They won 2 Superbowls in the 70's and appeared in 2 more in the 1st half of the 80's.  Superstar QB: Dan Marino

Jets: We haven't appeared in a Superbowl since 1969.  Afaik, we haven't had any sustained runs of excellence in franchise history.  Our last superstar QB was Namath from forever ago.

Admittedly, the last non-Patriot AFC East team to win a Superbowl was the Dolphins back in 1974 (42 years ago).  But they at least appeared in the Superbowl in 1983 and 1985 and the Bills appeared 4 years in a row starting in 1991.  The Jets are undoubtedly the sad sacks in a sad sack division (Patriots obviously an exception).

No  - 1994

wait, LOL, wrong sport ... Feels like 1940 with the Jets though, may as well be, 1969 is long ago enough...

I always said if my Father were not deceased, I would kill him today for raising me a Mets Jets Knicks and Rangers fan.

What a collection of losers I root for.

2 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

No  - 1994

wait, LOL, wrong sport ... Feels like 1940 with the Jets though, may as well be, 1969 is long ago enough...

I always said if my Father were not deceased, I would kill him today for raising me a Mets Jets Knicks and Rangers fan.

What a collection of losers I root for.

I root for all 4 of those losers.  The Knicks are pretty much dead to me at this point.  At least there's reason for optimism w/ the Mets and Rangers.  The Jets are back in rebuild mode though.

22 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I root for all 4 of those losers.  The Knicks are pretty much dead to me at this point.  At least there's reason for optimism w/ the Mets and Rangers.  The Jets are back in rebuild mode though.

TT2 we been rebuilding since 1969 brother its how we roll........

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Was thinking about our division and the runs of excellence (or at least "outstanding achievement in the field of excellence"):

Patriots: Since 2001 they've won 4 SBs (appeared in 6, and 7 after Sunday) and are shooting for a 5th title.  Superstar QB: Tom Brady

Bills: Boy they love losing Superbowls but they did appear in 4 straight Superbowls in the early 90's.  Superstar QB: Jim Kelly

Dolphins: They were one of the great teams in the 70's all the way through the mid-80's.  They won 2 Superbowls in the 70's and appeared in 2 more in the 1st half of the 80's.  Superstar QB: Dan Marino

Jets: We haven't appeared in a Superbowl since 1969.  Afaik, we haven't had any sustained runs of excellence in franchise history.  Our last superstar QB was Namath from forever ago.

Admittedly, the last non-Patriot AFC East team to win a Superbowl was the Dolphins back in 1974 (42 years ago).  But they at least appeared in the Superbowl in 1983 and 1985 and the Bills appeared 4 years in a row starting in 1991.  The Jets are undoubtedly the sad sacks in a sad sack division (Patriots obviously an exception).

we are due for the next great run!  thank you for lifting my spirits today.

at some point our luck will turn, there's not a person alive who thought NE would go on this run.  Heading into Brady's 1st start there were already rumblings BB was going to lose his job sooner than later.  The pats were looked at like we are prior to Brady becoming the starter.  we just need to find one of these Brady types but at some point just w/ dumb luck we have to find a top flight QB, right?

28 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

at some point our luck will turn, there's not a person alive who thought NE would go on this run.  Heading into Brady's 1st start there were already rumblings BB was going to lose his job sooner than later.  The pats were looked at like we are prior to Brady becoming the starter.  we just need to find one of these Brady types but at some point just w/ dumb luck we have to find a top flight QB, right?

Don't hold your breath. We've been waiting for that for 48 years.

7 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Absolutely. I can still remember talking to a Pat fan in a sportsbar in Newport. Bledsoe was their QB at the time. The guy was somewhat envious of me as a Jet fan, because at least we had that one SB win. He asked me what I thought of Bledsoe and I said I thought he really wasn't so bad. The guy was really appreciative of my reply. Boy how things have changed. Probably isn't a single Pat fan like that anymore. But I will at least say this for Pat fans. The year we beat the Pats in the playoffs in Foxboro with Rex as the coach, after we had been blown out by the Pats just a  few weeks before, I strutted around to a couple sportsbars on Aquidneck Island, which is the island where Newport is located, in a Jets jersey. In one place, the owner of the place said I could have any beer on the menu on the house. And the place I was at served specialty beers and the one I picked wasn't cheap. At another place in Newport a waitress brought me a beer and said another customer had bought it for me, and to tell me welcome to New England. Guy obviously thought I was up from NYC to see the game, even though I really live here. Oh well, thanks bud.

20 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

the doltfins also appeared in a sb in the 70's which they lost and the patsies were there in 86 and 96, also losses.  that gives the afc east 17 appearances.  throw in one more if you want to include the 1970 baltimore colts.

the knicks are horrible and frankly so is the nba.  the players are just so hard to root for.

You forgot one:

Colts:  Won several division titles and made several appearances in the AFC Championship Game and won a Super Bowl under Hall Of Fame superstar QB Peyton Manning.

Every team in the old AFC East got their franchise quarterback.  Unfortunately, ours came first.  I guess that makes us first on line to find our second.

SAR I

7 hours ago, nyjunc said:

so true.  the patsie did have some success when they got to the show in 86 and then in 96 but the years between were train wrecks. the thing is the jets could be as successful if they hired the right coaches and drafted the right players.  easy to say but it isn't rocket science.  and the way the patsies have their home field advantage it's almost like the nba.

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You forgot one:

Colts:  Won several division titles and made several appearances in the AFC Championship Game and won a Super Bowl under Hall Of Fame superstar QB Peyton Manning.

Every team in the old AFC East got their franchise quarterback.  Unfortunately, ours came first.  I guess that makes us first on line to find our second.

SAR I

and the 1970 colts.  they had johnny u, the god father of all superstar qb's.

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You forgot one:

SAR I

they didn't win a SB w/ Peyton while a member of the AFC East and Peyton heled them back from winning 4-5 SBs.  the difference btw the Colts and Pats in the 00s was as QB.

and our franchise QB was the worst among the great AFC East franchise QBs b/c he couldn't stay healthy and was damaged goods when he arrived here.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

You forgot one:

SAR I

I thought about including them but they're not currently in our division and they were actually the joke of the NFL back in the 1980's. 

If the Jets win a Superbowl before the Dolphins then we'll have 2 SB wins (just like them) but we'll have the more recent one.  For all the glory that people ascribe to the Dolphins ("they're a classic franchise") we're only 1 away from catching them.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If the Jets win a Superbowl before the Dolphins then we'll have 2 SB wins (just like them) but we'll have the more recent one.  For all the glory that people ascribe to the Dolphins ("they're a classic franchise") we're only 1 away from catching them.

Classic franchise.... whatever. They can barely sell out a home game when they're winning ... Lolphins

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

they didn't win a SB w/ Peyton while a member of the AFC East and Peyton heled them back from winning 4-5 SBs.  the difference btw the Colts and Pats in the 00s was as QB

I understand, but you reference the 90s Bills and 90s Dolphins and the Colts were there every step of the way.

Thing is, from the 90s to the 00s, every team in the old AFC East not only got their quarterback, but they got Hall Of Famers and we got nothing.  Somehow Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady were right there and the Jets were an oh-fer.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I understand, but you reference the 90s Bills and 90s Dolphins and the Colts were there every step of the way.

Thing is, from the 90s to the 00s, every team in the old AFC East not only got their quarterback, but they got Hall Of Famers and we got nothing.  Somehow Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady were right there and the Jets were an oh-fer.

SAR I

We had a chance at Marino and our fans wanted the team to draft him. 

We had the #1 overall pick after Peyton's Soph and Jr seasons but he stayed in school both years

Supposedly there was a Jet scout pounding the table for Tom Brady but we drafted Chad that year so Parcells said no.

But Jim Kelly we weren't close on (afaik).

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We had a chance at Marino and our fans wanted the team to draft him. 

We had the #1 overall pick after Peyton's Soph and Jr seasons but he stayed in school both years

Supposedly there was a Jet scout pounding the table for Tom Brady but we drafted Chad that year so Parcells said no.

But Jim Kelly we weren't close on (afaik).

and dont forget.. we had a scout demanding we draft Russel Wilson. but no worries, we drafted Stephen Hill.

Archived