Scot McCloughan back on the sauce?

Integrity28

4 hours ago, C Mart said:

Based on the above article he's better off. It's obvious after the Gruden extension Allen & Gruden won the power struggle. 

Mcc should find a scouting / personnel role for him. 

I'd love, and I mean really love, to get McCloughlan.  

Mike Jones (@MikeJonesWaPo)

3/9/17, 7:21 PM

Was told late in the season of jealousy up top and how they'd one day use McCloughan drinking as an excuse to can him. Exactly what happened

Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer)

3/9/17, 7:27 PM

We'll see how this thing gets positioned. My feeling knowing what I know about Washington -- This was largely about decision-making power.

David Aldridge (@daldridgetnt)

3/9/17, 7:26 PM

I don’t know; w/almost every team I’ve known, if someone’s had a substance abuse problem, however it’s resolved, it’s done quietly. Quietly.

The Redskins threw this guy under the bus.  He never stopped drinking, and never said he did. 

He finds hard-working tough football players who win games.  

Bruce Allen is an idiot.   Scot was never going to be a team president.  But Scot can make a team president look good.

In 2 years all those clowns will not have jobs in DC, and Dan Snyder will continue to be one of the few owners that make Woody look good.

9 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has emerged as a candidate to become Washington’s general manager, sources tell @FieldYates and me.

Ha Ha Ha , What's he going to do, change his rankings based on what happens in shorts like always .

As several posters have pointed out, McCoughan never gave up booze. It had interfered with his work in the past but the Redskins took him on because he was too promising a talent scout not to take a chance on. It worked out for the Redskins until it did not. Differences of opinions between drinkers and the people around them is not unusual, not doubt they saw things differently and egos were bruised a little. The Redskins followed his free agency recommendations  and are using his draft board for the upcoming draft. The Redskins front office may not like him but they are not dumb enough to throw out his pre-draft recommendations. Not doubt McCoughan is already consulting for different teams on the upcoming draft already, he is that well respected as a talent evaluator. 

20 hours ago, C Mart said:

Mike Jones (@MikeJonesWaPo)

3/9/17, 7:21 PM

Was told late in the season of jealousy up top and how they'd one day use McCloughan drinking as an excuse to can him. Exactly what happened

That's pretty ******* low, if true. 

Also I agree with CMart. The Jets should add this guy to the front office. 

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock has emerged as a candidate to become Washington’s general manager, sources tell @FieldYates and me.

this has to be the funniest post of the off-season.  

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I'd say there's no chance that's true.

Washington Post says there was a big power struggle between Allen and McCloughan.  But there are indeed known past drinking issues with him on other clubs.  Makes it easy to use as an excuse to prevail in the power struggle.  

All I know is that if there is an opportunity to improve the  scouting on the Jets, then he should be brought in, Mac's ego aside.  

You know, it really doesn't matter even if it's true or not at this point. Letting him go is fine and more than within their rights, but the fact that the Skins let minute details of his addiction go public like this is an awful thing to do to someone. Dan Snyder is just a bad person, no other summation of the guy possible. I'm sure the majority of people on this board have had or know someone that has had their own share of problems, and this is just about the worst thing you can do to someone struggling to this degree. Public humiliation cannot ever be an option.

Dolan tried to pull the same sh*t with Oakley a few weeks back. The balls on some of these guys.

All the best to McCloughlan, sounds like he's battling some major demons.

Just now, Dcat said:

Washington Post says there was a big power struggle between Allen and McCloughan.  But there are indeed known past drinking issues with him on other clubs.  Makes it easy to use as an excuse to prevail in the power struggle.  

All I know is that if there is an opportunity to improve the  scouting on the Jets, then he should be brought in, Mac's ego aside.  

Didn't Allen hire him? Not sure why people are acting surprised here- either way if he was fired people were going to always speculate that he was drinking. This wasn't a secret.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

You know, it really doesn't matter even if it's true or not at this point. Letting him go is fine and more than within their rights, but the fact that the Skins let minute details of his addiction go public like this is an awful thing to do to someone. Dan Snyder is just a bad person, no other summation of the guy possible. I'm sure the majority of people on this board have had or know someone that has had their own share of problems, and this is just about the worst thing you can do to someone struggling to this degree. Public humiliation cannot ever be an option.

Dolan tried to pull the same sh*t with Oakley a few weeks back. The balls on some of these guys.

nicely put.  +1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Didn't Allen hire him? Not sure why people are acting surprised here- either way if he was fired people were going to always speculate that he was drinking. This wasn't a secret.

I doubt he was fired for the drinking.  IMO, more likely he was fired due to the difference in opinions and philosophies between him and Allen, not the least of which was whether Cousins was their franchise QB or not.  Ironically, franchise tagging him 2 years in a row screams that Allen doesn't believe he is.  While the GM was lobbying for a long term deal for him since he was hired.  

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I doubt he was fired for the drinking.  IMO, more likely he was fired due to the difference in opinions and philosophies between him and Allen, not the least of which was whether Cousins was their franchise QB or not.  Ironically, franchise tagging him 2 years in a row screams that Allen doesn't believe he is.  While the GM was lobbying for a long term deal for him since he was hired.  

It's quite possible. But the drinking stuff has followed him for a while now...I cant see Washington just putting it out there when it's not true. That would be beyond low if it's the case.

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It's quite possible. But the drinking stuff has followed him for a while now...I cant see Washington just putting it out there when it's not true. That would be beyond low if it's the case.

No one said it wasn't true.  It's just not the reason for the firing, that's all, and using it as such is what is the low blow.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Based on what is going on around here, I think that Cooley (on the radio show) was just speculating and McCloughan didn't find the team's response irate enough.  Considering that he and Allen were already at each other's throats I don't think you should expect them to stick up for one another.  My understanding is that he has always drank and has had problems with it in the past.  He supposedly attended a residential facility while with the 'skins, but nobody knows of him ever being away from the team long enough to attend one.  Missing the combine for his grandmother's death seems odd too.  His grandmother died in mid-February, I doubt he would have missed the entire combine.  This was a power struggle and maybe the team does feel that some of the friction was based on his alcohol use.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Coincidence Gruden got a 2 year extension last week?

And if per the article: 

“He’s had multiple relapses due to alcohol,” said the official, who spoke on a condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment on personnel matters. “He showed up in the locker room drunk on multiple occasions. . . . This has been a disaster for 18 months.”

Why then didn't they fire him after the season? if it's been that much of a disaster?

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Team owner: Dan Snyder..

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Snyder sucks but Im still going to give him the benefit of the doubt here. Blatantly making up that he's drinking again would put the Skins in persona non grata territory.

Aren't they there already? We sh*t on the Jets a lot, but even Woody isn't desperate enough to call Mike Mayock.

11 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Aren't they there already? We sh*t on the Jets a lot, but even Woody isn't desperate enough to call Mike Mayock.

Cable TV guidance. Snyder. I guess we can connect the dots. Maybe Woody will reach out to Mcshay.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Snyder sucks but Im still going to give him the benefit of the doubt here. Blatantly making up that he's drinking again would put the Skins in persona non grata territory.

Scot was never not drinking.   There is an enormous amount of press out there that basically admitted he drank too much in SF and Seattle and it caused him to lose his jobs, and that he cut down his drinking but still was a drinker.

SF is another dysfunctional organization, so my guess there were politics with Baalke there as well.

He was hired to scout football players.  He is very, very good at it.  The list of great, physical players he picked who love football is very, very long.  The word is that regardless of what he did when he left the office, drinking was not obvious when he was at the office.   Maybe he had drank during the day-so have most of us on occasion.  His drinking was used as an excuse to fire him.

As they learned at USC, alcohol abuse is actually an illness.  It is illegal to fire someone for abusing alcohol unless they were spoken to and offered treatment.  Scot should sue them-my guess is that will not be necessary because they are buying him out.

USC fired the guy that is now OC of the Falcons.  He was really drinking and showed up drunk at pep rallies, alumni dinners, etc.   He threatened to sue them and from what I understand walked away with alot of money.  

"I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes, until I met the man who had no feet."  We have Woody.  The Redskins have Snyder.  We are the ones with feet.

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Amen.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived