Opinion on Leonard Fournette after Combine?

Sarge4Tide

Fournette?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. After his combine performance are you more or less excited about the possibility of the Jets drafting Fournette at #6?

• MUCH more excited about the Jets drafting Fournette
    • More excited about the Jets drafting Fournette
    • My opinion is unchanged
    • Less excited about the Jets drafting Fournette
    • MUCH less excited about the Jets drafting Fournette

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Saying someone isn't Bo isn't really an insult, no one is Bo.

The fastest running back in the league shouldn't also be the most powerful.  And also able to hit a 450 foot HR leading off a MLB All Star Game.  Or throw a rope from the wall to the catcher.  Or just run up a wall.... because he ran up a wall.   Even now, watch a special on him.  Bow hunting, bulls eye from like, down the street.

I agree with some others.  This is your ultimate job interview, and you show up over weight...  not what I'd want to see.

Who showed up overweight? I hope you're not referring to fournette....

13 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Who showed up overweight? I hope you're not referring to fournette....

Gonna go out on a limb here and assume that because it's a thread about Leonard Fournette showing up overweight and Leonard Fournette himself admitted he showed up overweight, we're probably talking about Leonard Fournette showing up overweight.

9 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Only team that should take a Rb high in the draft, if you are one player away from possible winning the Super Bowl.   This Rb draft is so deep you can get a quality Rb much later in this draft.( bigger reason why address other needs earlier).

The shelf life for a running back isn't that long , and silly to invest a high draft pick in that area when you don't have the other pieces to get maximimum return on your investment.

Can't believe I'm in agreement with the Silver and Black insane one....

11 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

My opinion is unchanged. 

The combine is exciting...but at the end of the day its about what you do on the football field. It's obvious this guy is a football player. Im not saying that we should draft him. Oh no. I think we should trade down and rack up on some offensive linemen, but I believe whomever drafts fournette will receive an addition to their football team. 

So he cant jump high...atleast his vertical jump at the combine explained why he's always decided to run through people instead! 

Like anyone will listen to this liar :)

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Cool with me. I see no problem with drafting a slow running back with no vertical that shows up overweight to the most important event of his life with the 6th overall pick. Sounds like a great fit.

Leonard Fournette's top speed against Ole Miss was 22.9 MPH.

Mmmm Slow..

Thanks to NFL's Next-Gen Stats, we can provide the answer. According to NFL.com, here are the 10 fastest ballcarriers so far this season:

22.50 mph, Stefon Diggs
22.34 mph, Mike Wallace
22.25 mph, Marquise Goodwin
22.25 mph, Tevin Coleman
22.23 mph, Johnny Holton
22.17 mph, Travis Benjamin
22.03 mph, Jordan Howard
21.97 mph, Isaiah Crowell
21.50 mph, Ezekiel Elliott
21.46 mph, Mike Gillislee

9 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Leonard Fournette's top speed against Ole Miss was 22.9 MPH.

Mmmm Slow..

Thanks to NFL's Next-Gen Stats, we can provide the answer. According to NFL.com, here are the 10 fastest ballcarriers so far this season:

22.50 mph, Stefon Diggs
22.34 mph, Mike Wallace
22.25 mph, Marquise Goodwin
22.25 mph, Tevin Coleman
22.23 mph, Johnny Holton
22.17 mph, Travis Benjamin
22.03 mph, Jordan Howard
21.97 mph, Isaiah Crowell
21.50 mph, Ezekiel Elliott
21.46 mph, Mike Gillislee

He's 1.4 miles per hour faster than Ezekiel Elliot? Color me sold. 

thought this guy was top RB?

Florida State RB Dalvin Cook tested as ninth-percentile SPARQ athlete at the NFL Combine.

Tennessee RB Alvin Kamara had the highest SPARQ score of any back in Indy, hitting the 79th percentile. Cook was at the opposite end of the spectrum, struggling in the three-cone drill (7.27), 20-yard shuttle (4.53), vertical (30.5"), and broad jump (9'8"). He did run a solid forty (4.49). Still, it was a concerning weekend for a back considered a potential first-round pick. According to 3 Sigma Athlete's Zach Whitman, no running back who tested as a sub-10th-percentile SPARQ athlete has been drafted in the first round in the last 17 years.

21 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Cool with me. I see no problem with drafting a slow running back with no vertical that shows up overweight to the most important event of his life with the 6th overall pick. Sounds like a great fit.

Lmaoooo o god no his vertical is low how will he ever survive at being a RUNNING back ..

Fournette's combine numbers were disappointing.  He's basically a 2-down back who is awkward/uncomfortable catching the ball.  Downhill runner that will do better only with a FB in front of him.  I have no clue what his pass protection skills are.

He's no Bo, Marcus Allen or anyone else that has been mentioned.  Running style more upright than preferred (could lead to injury) but Eric Dickerson did just fine with that style. 

Basically, he's not even close to the promise that was Zeke Elliott.  

Thumbs down on him at #6.  If he is on the board at #6, there just has to be some team infatuated with him (just like many of the misguided here on JN) that will give us a decent offer of picks to help us fill more holes.  I'm fine with a later RB pick or waiting to next year for same.  We'll be just fine with Forte/Powell in 2017.  So, I hope Fournette is there at #6 to enhance trade possibilities for us.  If we find a suitor who wants Fournette maybe we can trade down a bit, get Howard plus some OL/OLB/CB/S with the extra round 2/3 pick/picks.  Or give us more 2018 picks that could better enable us to trade up for a QB.

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Fournette's combine numbers were disappointing.  He's basically a 2-down back who is awkward/uncomfortable catching the ball.  Downhill runner that will do better only with a FB in front of himI have no clue what his pass protection skills are.

He's no Bo, Marcus Allen or anyone else that has been mentioned.  Running style more upright than preferred (could lead to injury) but Eric Dickerson did just fine with that style. 

THumbs down on him at #6.  If he is on the board at #6, there just has to be some team infatuated with him (just like many of the misguided here on JN) that will give us a decent offer of picks to help us fill more holes.  I'm fine with a later RB pick or waiting to next year for same.  We'll be just fine with Forte/Powell in 2017.  So, I hope Fournette is there at #6 to enhance trade possibilities for us.  If we find a suitor who wants Fournette maybe we can trade down a bit, get Howard plus some OL/OLB/CB/S with the extra round 2/3 pick/picks.  Or give us more 2018 picks that could better enable us to trade up for a QB.

• Excellent knee bend
  • Runs behind his pads

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Violent finisher looking to intimidate run-support safeties with crushing blows behind lower pad.

Hands are adequate in passing game

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/leonard-fournette?id=2557973

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physical pass blocker who recorded a pass-blocking efficiency of 97 percent or higher in all three years, albeit on a small sample size.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-leonard-fournette-rb-lsu/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's better than Ezekiel Elliot and your scouting report is off.

gastineaulives.com

3 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:
    • Excellent knee bend
    • Runs behind his pads

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Violent finisher looking to intimidate run-support safeties with crushing blows behind lower pad.

Hands are adequate in passing game

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/leonard-fournette?id=2557973

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Physical pass blocker who recorded a pass-blocking efficiency of 97 percent or higher in all three years, albeit on a small sample size.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-leonard-fournette-rb-lsu/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's better than Ezekiel Elliot and your scouting report is off.

gastineaulives.com

LOL.  Did you watch him catch at the combine?  I did.  No thanks. 

Based on all the hype, Fournette will be in the bust range.  Limited and one-dimensional upright, downhill runner. But very good at that.  and only that.  Not at all versatile despite the drivel you posted.  You've been duped.  

I really hope Fournette's best qualities aren't just "powerful" and "fast for his size".  Are there any other elite running backs that have those as their best qualities?  I can't think of any...  Personally, I'd really rather hear about quickness, burst, and vision...

How did he do on his 3-cone drill?

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Gonna go out on a limb here and assume that because it's a thread about Leonard Fournette showing up overweight and Leonard Fournette himself admitted he showed up overweight, we're probably talking about Leonard Fournette showing up overweight.

Yeah, he showed up a couple of pounds overweight and still ran a 4.51 which was better than most RBs that came in 20 or 30  pounds lighter. No one will care if he weighs 240 or 235. People are acting like he showed up weighing 270 pounds and ran a 4.75. 

In the real world, players don't always keep their weight  at a perfect level. The fact that he can still be one of the fastest RBs when he is a couple of pounds overweight is that much more impressive. Meanwhile, Cook who is supposed to be a smaller and faster alternative at RB ran a 4.48. 

Any GM that passes on Fournette by what they saw at the combine is a fool and likely a future Jets executive. 

45 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, he showed up a couple of pounds overweight and still ran a 4.51 which was better than most RBs that came in 20 or 30  pounds lighter. No one will care if he weighs 240 or 235. People are acting like he showed up weighing 270 pounds and ran a 4.75. 

In the real world, players don't always keep their weight  at a perfect level. The fact that he can still be one of the fastest RBs when he is a couple of pounds overweight is that much more impressive. Meanwhile, Cook who is supposed to be a smaller and faster alternative at RB ran a 4.48. 

Any GM that passes on Fournette by what they saw at the combine is a fool and likely a future Jets executive. 

it wasn't the extra weight. He just doesn't look like he lives up to all the hype, which is way out of control, IMO.  He'll be a good NFL RB, but he's going to disappoint whichever team drafts him too early. He's no Bo or anything like HOF RBs to whom he is being compared.  

The hyperbole around Fournette is simply ridiculous.  And it's out of control... almost intentionally it seems.

59 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Well I'm sold. The fact that he showed up fat and kinda slow instead of fat and really slow is something he should be praised for, not criticized. I don't see how this can go poorly at all. 

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

LOL.  Did you watch him catch at the combine?  I did.  No thanks. 

Based on all the hype, Fournette will be in the bust range.  Limited and one-dimensional upright, downhill runner. But very good at that.  and only that.  Not at all versatile despite the drivel you posted.  You've been duped.  

You are not a scouting genius. Know that.

2 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Please.  Lets end the draft Fournette at #6 nonsense.  He is a one-dimensional back at best. I's draft him in fantasy football next season but not if I'm the GM of the Jets.

Fournette's combine numbers were disappointing. Plus he came in admittedly over his desired weight.  Geez.  It's only the most important day of your football life since you were born.  Why couldn't he be ready for it?  DOes not bode well.  He's basically a 2-down back who is awkward/uncomfortable catching the ball. (I watched him trying to catch at the combine.  It was kind of funny... not smooth at all.) Downhill runner that will do better only with a FB in front of him.  I have no clue what his pass protection skills are.

Thumbs down on this upright downhill runner at #6.  If he is on the board at #6, there just has to be some team infatuated with him (just like many of the misguided Jets fans screaming for him) that will give us a decent offer of picks to help us fill more holes.  I'm fine with a later RB pick or waiting to next year for same.  We'll be just fine with Forte/Powell in 2017.  So, I hope Fournette is there at #6 to enhance trade possibilities for us.  If we find a suitor who wants Fournette maybe we can trade down a bit, get Howard plus some OL/OLB/CB/S with the extra round 2/3 pick/picks.  Or give us more 2018 picks that could better enable us to trade up for a QB.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Please.  Lets end the draft Fournette at #6 nonsense.  He is a one-dimensional back at best. I's draft him in fantasy football next season but not if I'm the GM of the Jets.

Fournette's combine numbers were disappointing. Plus he came in admittedly over his desired weight.  Geez.  It's only the most important day of your football life since you were born.  Why couldn't he be ready for it?  DOes not bode well.  He's basically a 2-down back who is awkward/uncomfortable catching the ball. (I watched him trying to catch at the combine.  It was kind of funny... not smooth at all.) Downhill runner that will do better only with a FB in front of him.  I have no clue what his pass protection skills are.

Thumbs down on this upright downhill runner at #6.  If he is on the board at #6, there just has to be some team infatuated with him (just like many of the misguided Jets fans screaming for him) that will give us a decent offer of picks to help us fill more holes.  I'm fine with a later RB pick or waiting to next year for same.  We'll be just fine with Forte/Powell in 2017.  So, I hope Fournette is there at #6 to enhance trade possibilities for us.  If we find a suitor who wants Fournette maybe we can trade down a bit, get Howard plus some OL/OLB/CB/S with the extra round 2/3 pick/picks.  Or give us more 2018 picks that could better enable us to trade up for a QB.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm a scouting genius.

4 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

LOL.  I never said I was a scouting genius.  You wrote that.  Do you need to edit what was actually posted to make some kind of point?  Juvenile.

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

Subtext, my friend.

"I know more than every scouting report because my couch is magic."

juvenile.  

Fournette is vastly overhyped.  You'll see.  He'll be good.  But not #6 pick good.  No 2-down style of upright running back should be picked at #6.  Want to trade down to the low teens or below... ok, that could be more platable taking him there.  But at #6 it would be a tremendous mistake drafting him.  He's not as versatile as people are claining him to be.  He's not much more than a powerful solid downhill runner. The comparisons being made are absurd and intentional hype.  He won't be as impactful as Elliott

Just now, Dcat said:

juvenile.  

Fournette is vastly overhyped.  You'll see.  He'll be good.  But not #6 pick good.  No 2-down style of upright running back should be picked at #6.  Want to trade down to the low teens or below... ok, that could be more platable taking him there.  But at #6 it would be a tremendous mistake drafting him.  He's not as versatile as people are claining him to be.  He's not much more than a powerful solid downhill runner. The comparisons being made are absurd and intentional hype.  He won't be as impactful as Elliott

Wow, really going out on a limb with the Elliott comparison since Fournette will not be playing behind one of the best offensive lines in the last twenty years.

What does impactful mean to you, since it's not even a word, so google is no help.

14 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Wow, really going out on a limb with the Elliott comparison since Fournette will not be playing behind one of the best offensive lines in the last twenty years.

What does impactful mean to you, since it's not even a word, so google is no help.

Publicly demonstrating your literacy challenges may not be a great ide.   PM me if you need any other vocabulary assistance.  

Webster's Dictionary:

impactful
      Adjective, | ˈɪmpaktf(ʊ)l
      Definition of IMPACTFUL
      :having a major impact or effect:an eye-catching and impactful design

Just like your opinion and prediction for Fournette, your claim is speculative ("not a word") and just wrong.  With respect to Fournette, ou are allowing yourself to get sucked into the intentional extreme hyperbole regarding this good RB.  Want him?  trade down to the mid 20's and if some other team was dumb enough to take him earlier, then the joke is on them.  Take him at #6?  Fire Mac immediately.  The only teams that should consider him are those that are a player or two away from a championship run.  Not us.

Just now, Matt39 said:

He had a sh*tty vertical and then decided to skip the other drills. Bleh.

Really, the over-hype on this one dimensional runner is absurd.  Not saying he sucks.. but the next Bo?  Ahahahahahaha!  Amazing hyperbole  Clearly to make more NFL draft hype debate and discussion.  RBs are sexier to debate than linemen and most defense so what do the scouting media do?  Overhype a RB.  I sure hope Mac isn't dumb enough to fall for it.

15 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Really, the over-hype on this one dimensional runner is absurd.  Not saying he sucks.. but the next Bo?  Ahahahahahaha!  Amazing hyperbole  Clearly to make more NFL draft hype debate and discussion.  RBs are sexier to debate than linemen and most defense so what do the scouting media do?  Overhype a RB.  I sure hope Mac isn't dumb enough to fall for it.

Yeah, he'll never be nearly the receiver that Bo Jackson was.

You make the bold claim that he'll never be Bo Jackson as if that proves your point, somehow and validates all the other stupid things you have to say about the player.

You use nebulous terms like impactful (why the red line, btw?) and therefore really say nothing in the guise of saying something.

You say you'd draft him on your fantasy team, indicating that he's going to run for a lot of yards and score a lot of td's yet, he's going to be a bust. Yet, you say "not saying he sucks", which makes me thing you're confused.

"Running style is more upright than preferred, but Eric Dickerson did just fine with that syle" Again, you just said nothing. He has a good chance of getting injured with that style, unlike Bo Jackson, who was the ultimate workhorse and never got a career ending injury. Totally impactful in his thirty eight game career.

Archived