Report: Jets set to meet with QB Josh McCown

JetNation

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, johnnysd said:

I am not suggesting tanking on any level whatsover. I am advocating that we  look to develop a team for the future, which has more possibility of losing and wider range of possible wins. Look, it Hack develops, we could win 8 games just from that. He does have the arm, release, size and brain of an elite QB. Develop it. See it. Take a RISK

JMO. I think that is their plan / hope. Just signing McCown doesn't mean he is starting week 1, and even if he does start week 1, no guarantee, none, he's starting all 16 games. 

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The Jets were bad. No question about it. I just feel that people are acting like we won 2 games last year instead of 5. 

We looked far more like a 2 win team at the end of the year than a 5 win team, and not because of Petty who showed some potential. The red flag for Petty was not his play but really his fragility. I actually think if we want to truly improve. we need to get rid of the rest of the "leadership" we had last year and dump Sheldumb and  Decker, and build a totally new culture. Not convinced Bowles is the guy for that.

Just now, johnnysd said:

We looked far more like a 2 win team at the end of the year than a 5 win team, and not because of Petty who showed some potential. The red flag for Petty was not his play but really his fragility. I actually think if we want to truly improve. we need to get rid of the rest of the "leadership" we had last year and dump Sheldumb and  Decker, and build a totally new culture. Not convinced Bowles is the guy for that.

Parcells theorem. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

People are actually stating the Browns are better than the Jets. Why? Because of their money and draft picks? When have they ever drafted well and spent money on quality free agents? Haven't had a winning record in YEARS.

Here's the problem with your above statement and others when speaking of the Jets and ALL the terrible draft picks etc....And I get it, as fans  

However, totally new regimes. The regimes in place can't be blamed for prior regimes failures. Now they may fail too but they shouldn't be lumped in with past regimes failures.  

Just now, C Mart said:

Here's the problem with your above statement and others when speaking of the Jets and ALL the terrible draft picks etc....And I get it, as fans  

However, totally new regimes. The regimes in place can't be blamed for prior regimes failures. Now they may fail too but they shouldn't be lumped in with past regimes failures.  

When did this new Browns regime come into place?

26 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Incredibly short sighted and I truly do not agree with a single word. I could care less for sneaking into the playoffs and once again setting the franchise back by playing a nowhere veteran QB. It is not the way to go. Until we have a QB we have nothing. We need to develop out own QB, period. If we lose 24 games in a row but wind up with a 10 year franchise QB I am completely onboard. STOP BEING MEDIOCRE. You actually WANT us to be mediocre, it's bizarre

I don't want to lose 24 straight games and it's not necessary. It's not a one position game. You have a good O-line, good receivers, good backs a conservative game plan and you can win a lot of games. You can draft first every year and choose a Qb every time and still not get a great one. I don't put all of my resources in one basket, the Qb basket. Because it's a crap shoot to get a ten year starter. We tried that already. If your team can get into the playoffs anyone can get hot and go all the way. The Giants proved that. Even if we did win a Super Bowl like that off of a 9-7 only our fans would complain and say we really sucked and didn't deserve it.  Look I'll take it. I don't need dominance because that doesn't exist. Competency and good balance can win games. Even if we had Dan Marino no guarantees and even though he was great no rings. 

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

joshmcsuck_zpsk99k8oyo.jpg

The last 3 seasons:

Mark Sanchez is 7-9

Geno Smith is 11-18

Ryan Fitzpatrick is 20-22

Josh McCown is 2-22

J! E! T! S! Jets! Jets! Jets!

SAR I

Let's add Cutler and RGIII so we cover all possibilities.  ??

56 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Which we won 5 games with?

Technically, we beat SF in OT and Buffalo essentially forfeited the last game.  And Fitz was part of 4 of those wins.  So yeah, we have arguably the worst roster in the NFL.  We have (as of right now, the worst QB situation in the NFL.  Even after we sign a vet, we will have the worst QB situation in the NFL.  Our OL is below average at best, and unless we spend significant draft capital on the OL, we will be one injury away from catastrophic results.

A re-occurring theme I keep seeing with this team is putting injury prone veterans in significant roles with no back up plan whatsoever.  Just like Clady last year.  No one with any sense thought he would stay healthy.  We knew that going into the draft and still ignored the OL and went into the season with no back up plan.  

This is kind of like the CB situation could play out this year.  Role out there with the same trash we had last year but adding Claiborne.  If Claiborne doesn't play the entire season, like every other year of his career, we're back to a starting corner duo of Skrine and Williams.

If Jets fans don't adjust their expectations, they are setting themselves up for a huge disappointment.

Just now, Pcola said:

Technically, we beat SF in OT and Buffalo essentially forfeited the last game.  And Fitz was part of 4 of those wins.  So yeah, we have arguably the worst roster in the NFL.  We have (as of right now, the worst QB situation in the NFL.  Even after we sign a vet, we will have the worst QB situation in the NFL.  Our OL is below average at best, and unless we spend significant draft capital on the OL, we will be one injury away from catastrophic results.

A re-occurring theme I keep seeing with this team is putting injury prone veterans in significant roles with no back up plan whatsoever.  Just like Clady last year.  No one with any sense thought he would stay healthy.  We knew that going into the draft and still ignored the OL and went into the season with no back up plan.  

This is kind of like the CB situation could play out this year.  Role out there with the same trash we had last year but adding Claiborne.  If Claiborne doesn't play the entire season, like every other year of his career, we're back to a starting corner duo of Skrine and Williams.

If Jets fans don't adjust their expectations, they are setting themselves up for a huge disappointment.

You can't put qualification on wins and say we lost because we stink. Our record was 5-11.  We will not be the worst team in the NFL in 2017 because every veteran we cut did not play well last season and I would bet we get better QB play than the sh*t way Fitz played.

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

You can't put qualification on wins and say we lost because we stink. Our record was 5-11.  We will not be the worst team in the NFL in 2017 because every veteran we cut did not play well last season and I would bet we get better QB play than the sh*t way Fitz played.

Accept the QB that won 4 of those games.  And as far as I am aware, his replacement is either going to be McCown, Cutler, or RGIII.  Who between them, didn't win 5 games.

If Petty doesn't turn into Phillip Rivers or doesn't stay healthy for 16 games, this team isn't winning anything next year.  You can dilute last year's team and compare it to this year's team and it dosn't guarantee that a more talented wins more games.

If you look at next year's schedule, tell me right now, what games the Jets would be favored in?

6 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Accept the QB that won 4 of those games.  And as far as I am aware, his replacement is either going to be McCown, Cutler, or RGIII.  Who between them, didn't win 5 games.

If Petty doesn't turn into Phillip Rivers or doesn't stay healthy for 16 games, this team isn't winning anything next year.  You can dilute last year's team and compare it to this year's team and it dosn't guarantee that a more talented wins more games.

If you look at next year's schedule, tell me right now, what games the Jets would be favored in?

I'm certainly not predicting we are going to the Super Bowl, but I'm a little leery of saying we are the worst team in the NFL. I like the Claiborne signing and we have the 6th pick in the draft.  I think our defense is going to be better and like I said, it will be difficult for any QB to play as pathetic as Fitzpatrick last season. We will see.

12 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I'm certainly not predicting we are going to the Super Bowl, but I'm a little leery of saying we are the worst team in the NFL. I like the Claiborne signing and we have the 6th pick in the draft.  I think our defense is going to be better and like I said, it will be difficult for any QB to play as pathetic as Fitzpatrick last season. We will see.

I don't have any problem being the worst team in the league this year, at least by record.  But its being the worst team in the league and some how winning five games that just keeps the Jets from being relevant.  Arguably we were every bit as terrible as Tennessee and TB in 2014.  But we had a desperate owner force a desperate GM and HC coach do whatever possible to win two meaningless games costing us a shot at Winston or Mariota.  Both of which turned both of those franchises into serious playoff contenders by the end of their second year.

And doing whatever we can to win 5 games again this year will have disastrous results as well.  Meaning, we will go into yet another offseason looking for the next overage, under talented scrub to be the face of our franchise at the only position that matters in today's NFL.  All the while, Tennessee, Tampa, and whoever gets Darnold will be competing for championships for the next decade.

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

No that's an unreasonable standard. Hackenburg needs to develop. Not starting him because after one year he is not better that a decent backup is self defeating and way way short sighted.

Well that you have to take up with the coaching staff, not me as I agree to let the young QB's get their shot fairly.

20 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Well that you have to take up with the coaching staff, not me as I agree to let the young QB's get their shot fairly.

Your key word here is fairly. If Hack or Petty competes and wins the job it's a great thing for the organization. And then they will have to prove it over the course of a season. But if we sign a vet like McCown and they are best Qb on the team that's who I would play. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Your key word here is fairly. If Hack or Petty competes and wins the job it's a great thing for the organization. And then they will have to prove it over the course of a season. But if we sign a vet like McCown and they are best Qb on the team that's who I would play. 

Looking forward to seeing McCown's salary if he is signed. 

Latest Between Jets, Josh McCown

March 19th, 2017 at 3:31pm CST by Dallas Robinson 

Free agent quarterback Josh McCown has left his visit with the Jets, and while the two sides are still contact, no deal is “imminent,” tweets Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com.

New York reportedly did discuss contract parameters with McCown, as Ralph Vacchiano of SNY detailed yesterday, but it doesn’t sound as though the two parties will come together on an agreement anytime soon. McCown is now entering his age-38 season and hasn’t been able to stay healthy in recent seasons, but he’d be able to give the Jets some level of competency at the quarterback position. Geno Smith, who may have been an option for Gang Green, signed with the crosstown rival Giants last week.

Appearing in five games (three starts) for the Browns in 2016, McCown completed 54.5% of his attempts for 1,100 yards, six touchdowns, and six interceptions. He’s also drawn interest from the Cowboys this offseason, and took a visit to Dallas earlier this month.

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I dont want any QB on this roster thats a loser id rather see rookies playing as hard as they can trying to make it instead of has beens that never were, enough already. 

Well then you don't want Josh McCown

24 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Whispers that McCown has left without a deal. That is telling me that the Jets did not guarantee him the starting job.

If the Jets told him he'd have a chance to win the starting job, and that wasn't good enough for him, let him walk.

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

There would be no dumber move for the Jets this year than to start McCown. The Jets MUST start either Petty or Hackenburg. We are finishing last with McCown. Once again: DEVELOP OUR OWN FUCCKING QB. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

If Petty and Wackyberg can't beat McCown in TC and preseason they really suck a big d-ck

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Josh McCown has left the building. After a two-day meeting with the Jets, the free-agent quarterback left without a contact, per source. The lines of communication will remain open between the two sides. The Jets could set up a visit with Jay Cutler, another potential target. They're not in hurry as the quarterback market appears to have hit a standstill.

Mac has a Budget and he's STICKING to it. I like. 

1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

Josh McCown has left the building. After a two-day meeting with the Jets, the free-agent quarterback left without a contact, per source. The lines of communication will remain open between the two sides. The Jets could set up a visit with Jay Cutler, another potential target. They're not in hurry as the quarterback market appears to have hit a standstill.

Wow, I actually read a Cimini article that made me smile

Archived