Report: Jets set to meet with QB Josh McCown

JetNation

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

no debate.  Just tired of the inaccurate Sanchez spew.  Enough. Boring. Obsolete.  Nothing to be learned.  Irrelevant to the situation today.

I wish it were that simple.  If we had found a quarterback even remotely capable of being a step-up I might agree with you.

Sometimes the answers are right in front of your face.  The day we stopped supporting Mark Sanchez was the day that started this death spiral we are in right now.  The Sanchez Jets were 28-17 the moment Victor Cruz went 99 up the sideline and the month thereafter when we decided not to replace Tomlinson, Edwards, Burress, Richardson and Woody who were ejected the prior seasons.  Since then, we're 33-50 and headed to 33-66.

SAR I

Something is getting lost here.  Liking the McCown signing is not the same as liking McCown.  I like the SIGNING. I think McCown is worthless.

The signing tells me a few things (assuming it's getting done):

1) Jets are NOT going to chase a JAG QB in FA

2) Hack/Petty are going to start.

3) They are (hopefully) FINALLY beginning to understand that inflating your talent level short term by overpaying mediocre players at the top quarter of the market is a bad idea and that they are serious about building a strong team through the draft and are done taking shortcuts to appease this idiot fanbase wanting to be entertained by an endless string of 8-8 seasons with the occasional 9-7/10-6 dream run where we get booted from the playoffs early.

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Watching jets fans bicker over crap QBS is sad

When the Jets and their fans agree that finding a franchise quarterback is the top priority, and then no one is supposed to talk about it when we don't.

When the Jets and their fans are told that we are going to have a Top 3 defense and a Ground & Pound offense, and then we are supposed to sweep it under the rug when it doesn't happen.

Tell me Larz, what exactly are we allowed to talk about in your world?  How Geno Smith was mistreated but Mark Sanchez wasn't?  How Rex Ryan was a great head coach and how Todd Bowles is even better?

We bicker over quarterbacks because even when we hit on one we figure out a way to blow it.  And some of you in this forum were dead wrong about how much better the Jets were going to be once Mark Sanchez was shown the door.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Something is getting lost here.  Liking the McCown signing is not the same as liking McCown.  I like the SIGNING. I think McCown is worthless.

3) They are (hopefully) FINALLY beginning to understand that inflating your talent level short term by overpaying mediocre players at the top quarter of the market is a bad idea and that they are serious about building a strong team through the draft and are done taking shortcuts to appease this idiot fanbase wanting to be entertained by an endless string of 8-8 seasons with the occasional 9-7/10-6 dream run where we get booted from the playoffs early.

If McCown were an elder who was a proven winner and someone the rebuilding kids could look up to in the locker room and the practice field I might agree with you.

There is nothing they can glean from McCown who is a nobody who achieved nothing.  Fitzpatrick had success in New York and knows the two kids on the roster intimately.  Sanchez had success in New York and could teach the kids a thing or two about coping with change and expectations in this market.  Cutler won a bunch of games and made the playoffs.  McCown is a terrible choice.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

If McCown were an elder who was a proven winner and someone the rebuilding kids could look up to in the locker room and the practice field I might agree with you.

There is nothing they can glean from McCown who is a nobody who achieved nothing.  Fitzpatrick had success in New York and knows the two kids on the roster intimately.  Sanchez had success in New York and could teach the kids a thing or two about coping with change and expectations in this market.  Cutler won a bunch of games and played in a Super Bowl.  McCown is a terrible choice.

SAR I

Bravo SAR I 

IF Macc and Bowles believe Josh McCown is the QB this organization needs to move forward we are in bigger trouble than we ever thought. 

Just now, SAR I said:

There is nothing they can glean from McCown who is a nobody who achieved nothing.  Fitzpatrick had success in New York and knows the two kids on the roster intimately.  Sanchez had success in New York and could teach the kids a thing or two about coping with change and expectations in this market.  Cutler won a bunch of games and played in a Super Bowl.  McCown is a terrible choice.

SAR I

Disagree. McCown is a perfect choice. Nobody will want him to start, he won't cast a shadow over the kids. He won't win any games for us if he ever does start. He is a perfect placeholder for us to go into the draft with. He is a professional and won't make any waves and won't be a target of the media when the kids struggle.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Bravo SAR I 

IF Macc and Bowles believe Josh McCown is the QB this organization needs to move forward we are in bigger trouble than we ever thought. 

LOL. Nobody thinks that. But you are right, if anyone did they are criminally unqualified for their job.

11 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Rational out of the box thinking . There may be hope for this fan base yet

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

This is going to be fun.

For years you told me that if Mark Sanchez had talent he'd have been able to show it no matter how bad the talent around him was.  Chaz Schillens, Clyde Gates, Stephen Hill, Tony Sparano, if Mark Sanchez was a good quarterback he'd have risen above and still won us a bunch of games.  Remember?

Now I get to see you squirm while defending (wait for it) 2-22 Josh McCown who is 37 years old and hasn't won 2 games in a row since 2008?  LOLZ

SAR I

Its got nothing to do with sanchez and talent.  Stick to one subject.  Did all the QB play under exact circumstances? 

Nope, your argument is meaningless.   Youre the one who should be squirming.  You can bring up your lack of tools nonsense til the end of time.  He had Bray, he had Holmes, he had Keller, he had Cotchery, he had the leagues number 1 ranked OL, running game and defense.   Not enough tools for Mark.  He had all that it factor too many here talked about.  As if it ever really existed.

Has nothing to do with whether McCowan is good or not, should be signed or not.  Its just you argument is wrong for the reasons your giving as fact. 

3 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Isn't having mccown on your roster a surefire way to get a top 5pick?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I know you are being cynical, but there are people on this site that actually want the Jets to bring in Kaepernick or Cutler, guys who got their teams top 3 picks.:D

38 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Bravo SAR I 

Just you and SAR apparently are this lost, believe that they think they've found their QB 

When the Jets and their fans agree that finding a franchise quarterback is the top priority, and then no one is supposed to talk about it when we don't.
When the Jets and their fans are told that we are going to have a Top 3 defense and a Ground & Pound offense, and then we are supposed to sweep it under the rug when it doesn't happen.
Tell me Larz, what exactly are we allowed to talk about in your world?  How Geno Smith was mistreated but Mark Sanchez wasn't?  How Rex Ryan was a great head coach and how Todd Bowles is even better?
We bicker over quarterbacks because even when we hit on one we figure out a way to blow it.  And some of you in this forum were dead wrong about how much better the Jets were going to be once Mark Sanchez was shown the door.
SAR I

Never said it wasn't allowed, its just pathetic to watch

20 minutes ago, section314 said:

I know you are being cynical, but there are people on this site that actually want the Jets to bring in Kaepernick or Cutler, guys who got their teams top 3 picks.:D

I dont want any QB on this roster thats a loser id rather see rookies playing as hard as they can trying to make it instead of has beens that never were, enough already. 

36 minutes ago, section314 said:
Like women's basketball?  Oops, sorry, wrong thread.

If you prefer H-O-R-S-E with refs good on you.

The best brand of basketball is obviously march madness and the mens college game in general because they play defense, pass the ball, work an actual offense and press and trap.  It looks like basketball to me. 

I've never watched a WNBA game.  The point I was making is hockey is really not a major sport. I think its hilarious bugg wasted 10 minutes of his life ranting about it, lol.

I watch about 3 UCONN lady husky games a year because the relentless excellence is so impressive. They don't make mental mistakes.  They are fundamentally almost perfect. They shoot airballs and dribble it off their feet, but I don't care because I love to watch how they play.

Geno reminds me of Lombardi.

They are both god fearing religious men who see their role as a teacher first and coach second.  They both feel that molding young people with character and integrity is the primary goal.

The key to both of their success was to chase perfection, not excellence.  When you chase perfection and inevitably fall short you are still excellent.

When you chase excellence and fall short you are merely great.

That's why I watch UCONN ladies basketball.

14 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I would take Cutler or Kap over him but he's a decent game manager. When you play on a losing team a Qb has more turnovers because you're usually playing from behind. If we sign him I think he wins the starting job. The bottom line is staying healthy and a conservative game plan for an average Qb. You try to minimize turnovers and we can win with this guy. If our D rebounds and plays up to their ability. Already we have an upgrade at corner with Clairborn instead of Revis. 

There would be no dumber move for the Jets this year than to start McCown. The Jets MUST start either Petty or Hackenburg. We are finishing last with McCown. Once again: DEVELOP OUR OWN FUCCKING QB. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

There would be no dumber move for the Jets this year than to start McCown. The Jets MUST start either Petty or Hackenburg. We are finishing last with McCown. Once again: DEVELOP OUR OWN FUCCKING QB. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?

We understand it. You are just assuming that if we sign McCown that he will start, or at least it seems. 

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think that's what the majority of the posters want, I know I do. I think the FO might see things differently is what the concern is.  I am sure there will be an open competition but as of what we know now there is a possibility of McCown winning the starting job. Hack or Petty need to prove they are at least equal with McCown during camp so one of them can take first team reps. It is way too early to tell how this will play out. 

Just now, FTL Jet Fan said:

I think that's what the majority of the posters want, I know I do. I think the FO might see things differently is what the concern is.  I am sure there will be an open competition but as of what we know now there is a possibility of McCown winning the starting job. Hack or Petty need to prove they are at least equal with McCown during camp so one of them can take first team reps. It is way too early to tell how this will play out. 

It would be a competition and I would assume the Jets want to give Hack and Petty every chance to take the job. If they can't beat out Josh f'n Mccown, then we know what we'll be drafting next year. 

Even if mccown did start, he's never played a full season in his entire career. So good chance we would see someone else at some point. 

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Look if they think there is potential in either Hack or Petty to be a starter then sign McCown who would be an insurance policy. It would be a good deal for McCown because he has a better chance to play here than with another team like Dallas. As for throwing in the towel for 2017 I'm against that. There is no clear cut great team in the NFL including NEP. Although the Patriots just spent some money to re-enforce themselves and go for it in 2017. So with our present talent and a few good additions esp at Qb we could surprise people this year. Each year there are teams that play a lot better than predicted and others that play below that level. Most people did not think the Falcons would be as good as they were in 2016. Same goes for the Jets in 2015. 

Talent? Objectively we have close to the worst talent in the NFL

17 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

It would be a competition and I would assume the Jets want to give Hack and Petty every chance to take the job. If they can't beat out Josh f'n Mccown, then we know what we'll be drafting next year. 

Even if mccown did start, he's never played a full season in his entire career. So good chance we would see someone else at some point. 

Competitions are STUPID. Hack and Petty need to get 90% of the first team reps and 70% of the second team reps minimum, and within a couple weeks of TC you need to choose won and then give that guy as many reps as possible. Ridiculous QB "competitions" lead to the mediocrity merry go round we are on.

30 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

No that's an unreasonable standard. Hackenburg needs to develop. Not starting him because after one year he is not better that a decent backup is self defeating and way way short sighted.

50 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I want to win this year not develop a new Qb unless the team thinks they are ready or almost ready. Neither of these guys looks ready yet. And Petty was only fair when he played last year. McCown isn't a bum he's a game manager. If the team around him is ok to good we can win games. Let Hack or Petty look great in pre-season and OTAs etc and then we can talk about them. You don't need a franchise Qb to be a winning team and make the playoffs. Not interested in a losing season in 2017.

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I want to win this year not develop a new Qb unless the team thinks they are ready or almost ready. Neither of these guys looks ready yet. And Petty was only fair when he played last year. McCown isn't a bum he's a game manager. If the team around him is ok to good we can win games. Let Hack or Petty look great in pre-season and OTAs etc and then we can talk about them. You don't need a franchise Qb to be a winning team and make the playoffs. Not interested in a losing season in 2017.

Incredibly short sighted and I truly do not agree with a single word. I could care less for sneaking into the playoffs and once again setting the franchise back by playing a nowhere veteran QB. It is not the way to go. Until we have a QB we have nothing. We need to develop out own QB, period. If we lose 24 games in a row but wind up with a 10 year franchise QB I am completely onboard. STOP BEING MEDIOCRE. You actually WANT us to be mediocre, it's bizarre

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Incredibly short sighted and I truly do not agree with a single word. I could care less for sneaking into the playoffs and once again setting the franchise back by playing a nowhere veteran QB. It is not the way to go. Until we have a QB we have nothing. We need to develop out own QB, period. If we lose 24 games in a row but wind up with a 10 year franchise QB I am completely onboard. STOP BEING MEDIOCRE. You actually WANT us to be mediocre, it's bizarre

You think the players, coaching staff, FO, scouts are going to "tank it"?  

They don't get this far to the top of the football profession, the NFL, with a mindset of "tanking". 

Just now, C Mart said:

You think the players, coaching staff, FO, scouts are going to "tank it"?  

They don't get this far to the top of the football profession, the NFL, with a mindset of "tanking". 

I am not suggesting tanking on any level whatsover. I am advocating that we  look to develop a team for the future, which has more possibility of losing and wider range of possible wins. Look, it Hack develops, we could win 8 games just from that. He does have the arm, release, size and brain of an elite QB. Develop it. See it. Take a RISK

Archived