Report: Jets set to meet with QB Josh McCown

JetNation

10 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

By the way McCown has 79 Tds and 69 picks. So he's plus ten which is impressive considering some of the teams he's played for. 

So in other words, he is far superior to one Geno smith.....

i still want no part of him.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, C Mart said:

Leo, Mauldin, Lee, Jenkins, JMarshall, RAnderson. 

Lee wasn't a starter until Henderson got hurt.  Marshall was a kick returner.  

Anderson started as the #3 WR only after Decker was injured.  Jenkins started because we had absolutely nobody else on the roster capable.  I believe Catapano started when Jenkins got hurt in Sept.  enough said.

Mauldin had zero starts and 13 tackles as a rookie.

Now Leonard Williams is a different animal.

What I was referring to was last year's team had nothing to play for.  Burris only started one game.  Peake was barely on the field.  Our OL was decimated yet Shell saw very limited action until he was by default our starter.

So yes, Bowles will play rookies, but only as a last resort.

Heck, he has a golden opportunity to Hack against Buf week 17.  They were basically forfeiting.  But it was more important to win a game that meant absolutely nothing than to get Hack a little bit of live snaps. Not even in the 4th qtr of a blow out.

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

Lee wasn't a starter until Henderson got hurt.  Marshall was a kick returner.  

Anderson started as the #3 WR only after Decker was injured.  Jenkins started because we had absolutely nobody else on the roster capable.  I believe Catapano started when Jenkins got hurt in Sept.  enough said.

Mauldin had zero starts and 13 tackles as a rookie.

Now Leonard Williams is a different animal.

What I was referring to was last year's team had nothing to play for.  Burris only started one game.  Peake was barely on the field.  Our OL was decimated yet Shell saw very limited action until he was by default our starter.

So yes, Bowles will play rookies, but only as a last resort.

Heck, he has a golden opportunity to Hack against Buf week 17.  They were basically forfeiting.  But it was more important to win a game that meant absolutely nothing than to get Hack a little bit of live snaps. Not even in the 4th qtr of a blow out.

Your original post said play rookies. My bad didn't know you meant start

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Your original post said play rookies. My bad didn't know you meant start

Either way, I watched every snap last year.  There was about a 6 game period where Burris was no where to found.  Peake never saw the field aside from a play or two until late December.  

I'm just not convinced Bowles is all in on this rebuild.  

It tells me a lot that we have been meeting  with McCown.  He is being brought in to start.  If he wanted to be a back up, he could just go to Dallas. Heck, he could actually have success there if he ended up starting there.  World class OL and Zeke.

We can tell ourselves what ever we want, but if he signs here it's because our CS and told him he'd most likely beat out Petty and Hack.

10 hours ago, Pcola said:

Are there any other organizations that would meet with a QB for two days and take him out for a steak dinner with the Mrs. To be their third emergency option?

Bowles does not like playing rookies.  McCown, if signed, is expected to be the stater.

Bowles doesn't play rookies? 

Its one of those throw away lines this fan base accuses every single HC of doing.  It's always wrong.  Doesn't matter. 

McCown will be the presumed starter, hopefully Hack or Petty come out of nowhere and take the starting job. I am not holding my breath, either they are drafting a QB early like above posters stated or they are in full tank mode/ rebuilding. It will be interesting to see his contract numbers. It's not a bad move if they do plan on drafting a guy early or they really want to "rebuild". 

Just now, FTL Jet Fan said:

McCown will be the presumed starter, hopefully Hack or Petty come out of nowhere and take the starting job. I am not holding my breath, either they are drafting a QB early like above posters stated or they are in full tank mode/ rebuilding. It will be interesting to see his contract numbers. It's not a bad move if they do plan on drafting a guy early or they really want to "rebuild". 

Where are people getting this notion?

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

What do you think they plan on doing with Josh. They took him out to dinner, he brought his wife, when has that ever happened for a FA they didn't really want. So you think he is coming to the Jets knowing he will be a backup. Did you read my post? I said presumed starter. I didn't say there will be no competition, did I ? No. 

What do you think they plan on doing with Josh. They took him out to dinner, he brought his wife, when has that ever happened for a FA they didn't really want. So you think he is coming to the Jets knowing he will be a backup. Did you read my post? I said presumed starter. I didn't say there will be no competition, did I ? No. 

KNowing that there is a strong chance of it, yes.

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Ok.  Let's try to look at this rationally.  If what everyone here is telling themselves is actually true and McCown is being asked to come in and be a backup...

So McCown has a choice.  Dallas or NY Jets, both to be a back up.  So first let's assume for comparable purposes the money is even.  Is there even one reason he would pick the Jets?  Dallas, best OL in the league, had the best record for most of last season.  Zeke.

Now imagine how much more $$ the Jets would have to offer and don't leave out the fact that Texas has no state tax.

Conclusion: The ONLY reason McCown would come here is there is significant inferences that he's the starter.

Just now, Pcola said:

Ok.  Let's try to look at this rationally.  If what everyone here is telling themselves is actually true and McCown is being asked to come in and be a backup...

So McCown has a choice.  Dallas or NY Jets, both to be a back up.  So first let's assume for comparable purposes the money is even.  Is there even one reason he would pick the Jets?  Dallas, best OL in the league, had the best record for most of last season.  Zeke.

Now imagine how much more $$ the Jets would have to offer and don't leave out the fact that Texas has no state tax.

Conclusion: The ONLY reason McCown would come here is there is significant inferences that he's the starter.

Well the problem with Dallas is that they are really dragging their feet with this Romo situation. This should have been resolved by now. Because of that, candidates are going to look elsewhere for security

Reportedly the Jets will bring in Cutler for a visit this week too and I assume take him out for dinner.  So I wouldn't expect a signing of McCown imminently. . I'd guess he'd want double the amount of money they would offer McCown. Something like 10 mil per for at least two years with 12 guaranteed. If they sign Cutler and give him a multi=year contract along those lines it's basically saying that Hack and Petty are not in the Jets plans. You can't expect to wait two more seasons for them to develop. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Reportedly the Jets will bring in Cutler for a visit this week too and I assume take him out for dinner.  So I wouldn't expect a signing of McCown imminently. . I'd guess he'd want double the amount of money they would offer McCown. Something like 10 mil per for at least two years with 12 guaranteed. If they sign Cutler and give him a multi=year contract along those lines it's basically saying that Hack and Petty are not in the Jets plans. You can't expect to wait two more seasons for them to develop. 

I've heard whispers of Cutler coming in, but not real definite evidence of it. 

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

KNowing that there is a strong chance of it, yes.

I think that is the case with any aging vet QB when there are already two young QB's on the roster. Do you think he will beat out Hack and Petty from what we know of them now? I would love to see Hack or Petty come out and clearly win the competition. I am not convinced of that right now and hopefully that will change. 

I think that is the case with any aging vet QB when there are already two young QB's on the roster. Do you think he will beat out Hack and Petty from what we know of them now? I would love to see Hack or Petty come out and clearly win the competition. I am not convinced of that right now and hopefully that will change. 

I think Petty can definitely beat him. Hackenberg, I'm not sure

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think Petty can definitely beat him. Hackenberg, I'm not sure

No point starting the vet QB's none. We are rebuilding not expected to compete. Let's see what theses young guys have?

Josh is a back up, just insurance if the young guys sh*t the bed. No point spending time on Josh starting, we aren't making the play offs. Let's all admit we are rebuilding, and playing old vets is counter productive.

6 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

No point starting the vet QB's none. We are rebuilding not expected to compete. Let's see what theses young guys have?

Josh is a back up, just insurance if the young guys sh*t the bed. No point spending time on Josh starting, we aren't making the play offs. Let's all admit we are rebuilding, and playing old vets is counter productive.

Best post in this entire thread.

53 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Either way, I watched every snap last year.  There was about a 6 game period where Burris was no where to found.  Peake never saw the field aside from a play or two until late December.  

I'm just not convinced Bowles is all in on this rebuild.  

It tells me a lot that we have been meeting  with McCown.  He is being brought in to start.  If he wanted to be a back up, he could just go to Dallas. Heck, he could actually have success there if he ended up starting there.  World class OL and Zeke.

We can tell ourselves what ever we want, but if he signs here it's because our CS and told him he'd most likely beat out Petty and Hack.

In Dallas Day 1 he will be the backup..With the Jets Day 1 he will be given the opportunity to win the job to start with no guarantees he remains the starter..JMO

4 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Look if they think there is potential in either Hack or Petty to be a starter then sign McCown who would be an insurance policy. It would be a good deal for McCown because he has a better chance to play here than with another team like Dallas. As for throwing in the towel for 2017 I'm against that. There is no clear cut great team in the NFL including NEP. Although the Patriots just spent some money to re-enforce themselves and go for it in 2017. So with our present talent and a few good additions esp at Qb we could surprise people this year. Each year there are teams that play a lot better than predicted and others that play below that level. Most people did not think the Falcons would be as good as they were in 2016. Same goes for the Jets in 2015. 

20 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Wasnt he on the Browns with RGIII as the starter and rookie qb? 

I think he knows his role at this point in his career. Does he want to play? Of course but he knows the situations. Hes not exactly chasing a championship here. The man just needs work. 

Last year Cleveland had all kinds of injuries at the Qb position. Almost everyone was injured at one time including McCown. They even played the kid from Stanford, Kevin Hogan who they had picked up on waivers from KC after Kessler was injured.; Last season when teams with Qb injuries made inquiries there was reportedly more interest among teams like the Vikings in Bryce Petty than there was in Geno (before he got injured). If another team offered the Jets a conditional pick for Petty would they take it. I wouldn't be shocked if they did. So it's not impossible the Jets could start the season with two new Qbs on the roster. 

36 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Ugh, he's never starting over Dak?

if Petty or Hack bomb he'll get his chance here? 

37 minutes ago, Pcola said:

The guy is a lousier and suckier and older Ryan Fitzpatrick.

And we're flying his wife in here for dinner and buying him cupcakes.  Unbelievable.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

joshmcsuck_zpsk99k8oyo.jpg

The last 3 seasons:

Mark Sanchez is 7-9

Geno Smith is 11-18

Ryan Fitzpatrick is 20-22

Josh McCown is 2-22

J! E! T! S! Jets! Jets! Jets!

SAR I

And all the QBs played on the same team, with the same teammates, same coaches, same schedule?

All things were equal and level.  2015 Jets were the same as any Browns team?

Logical 

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And all the QBs played on the same team, same players, same schedule?

All things were equal and level.  2015 Jets were the same as any Browns team?

Logical 

This is going to be fun.

For years you told me that if Mark Sanchez had talent he'd have been able to show it no matter how bad the talent around him was.  Chaz Schillens, Clyde Gates, Stephen Hill, Tony Sparano, if Mark Sanchez was a good quarterback he'd have risen above and still won us a bunch of games.  Remember?

Now I get to see you squirm while defending (wait for it) 2-22 Josh McCown who is 37 years old and hasn't won 2 games in a row since 2008?  LOLZ

SAR I

48 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Now I get to see you squirm while defending (wait for it) 2-22 Josh McCown who is 37 years old and hasn't won 2 games in a row since 2008?  LOLZ

SAR I here's an update on the Hall of Fame statistics Josh McCown is putting up in the NFL he and Ryan Fitzpatrick will be inducted on the same day, never day. 

Why do the Jets waste time on players like ths.

McCown’s success on the field has not been quite as good. He is 18-42 in his career as a starter and 2-20 over the last three years.

55 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This is going to be fun.

For years you told me that if Mark Sanchez had talent he'd have been able to show it no matter how bad the talent around him was.  Chaz Schillens, Clyde Gates, Stephen Hill, Tony Sparano, if Mark Sanchez was a good quarterback he'd have risen above and still won us a bunch of games.  Remember?

SAR I

Mark Sanchez is a very slow thinker/processor incapable of adjusting to what he sees on the defense and would have sucked on EVERY NFL team no matter what his weaponz and coaching staff were.  And his performance with other teams proves this beyond any doubt. He was, is and always will be a bottom-tier NFL QB.  All your pro-Sanchez bullsht is just that.  Any idea when you're going to finally stop with this sht? It's tiring to read.

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Mark Sanchez is a very slow thinker/processor and would have sucked on EVERY NFL team no moatter what his weaponz and coaching staff were.  He was, is and always will be a bottom-tier NFL QB.  All your pro-Sanchez bullsht is just that.  Any idea when you're going to finally stop with this sht?

I can't argue how good Sanchez is or was.  My problem with the Jets is that we had a young QB who played on a team that won 4 road playoff games in his first two seasons in the NFL.  Forget stats it takes something special for a QB to pull that off.  I just wish that Rex/Tanny gave him every chance to succeed.  Instead they took his offensive weapons way and never replaced them.  Consequently, I will always question whether or not he could have developed and finally stabilize the Jets QB position. 

I can't argue that he has played poorly since leaving the Jets, but sports is a funny business.  You never know what could have been if the Jets built an offense around him.

Just now, JetsFanatic said:

I can't argue how good Sanchez is or was.  My problem with the Jets is that we had a young QB who played on a team that won 4 road playoff games in his first two seasons in the NFL.  Forget stats it takes something special for a QB to pull that off.  I just wish that Rex/Tanny gave him every chance to succeed.  Instead they took his offensive weapons way and never replaced them.  Consequently, I will always question whether or not he could have developed and finally stabilize the Jets QB position. 

I can't argue that he has plyed poorly since leaving the Jets, but sports is a funny business.  You never know what could have been if the Jets built an offense around him.

He would have sucked.  He has sucked everywhere he went.  And for all who claimed he had a great work ethic, he didn't.  No leadership skills either.

How sad that we are still talking about that Rex-Tanny blunder QB selection.

30 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Mark Sanchez is a very slow thinker/processor incapable of adjusting to what he sees on the defense and would have sucked on EVERY NFL team no matter what his weaponz and coaching staff were.  And his performance with other teams proves this beyond any doubt. He was, is and always will be a bottom-tier NFL QB.  All your pro-Sanchez bullsht is just that.  Any idea when you're going to finally stop with this sht? It's tiring to read.

For someone who's tired of reading Sanchez comments this is now the second time you're trying to get me into some Sanchez debate when that wasn't the intent of my original post.

A few posters for several years in two different forums have been telling me how if Sanchez was meant to be good he'd have shown it even in years when he had a crappy offense around him and I'm making the point of his hypocrisy in talking-up Josh McCown.  That is all.  Nothing to do with the old Sanchez argument.  Just about a double-standard.

SAR I

Just now, SAR I said:

For someone who's tired of reading Sanchez comments this is now the second time you're trying to get me into some Sanchez debate when that wasn't the intent of my original post.

A few posters for several years in two different forums have been telling me how if Sanchez was meant to be good he'd have shown it even in years when he had a crappy offense around him and I'm making the point of his hypocrisy in talking-up Josh McCown.  That is all.  Nothing to do with the old Sanchez argument.

SAR I

no debate.  Just tired of the inaccurate Sanchez spew.  Enough. Boring. Obsolete.  Nothing to be learned.  Irrelevant to the situation today.

23 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I can't argue that he has played poorly since leaving the Jets, but sports is a funny business.  You never know what could have been if the Jets built an offense around him.

Simple point, not controversial at all.

And considering how much effort the Jets and their fans have put into finding our unicorn franchise quarterback you'd think that they'd want to discuss the one player who came the closest to being that guy and the circumstances by which he was exited from the organization. 

And even if Mark Sanchez never was going to be that guy, history shows that we would have been better off keeping him as the motley crew of sh*tty quarterbacks the team has rolled out since his departure were disastrously worse and wasted a ton of time.  Looking back, it 100% would have been better to get rid of the HC and the GM, find an offensive-minded HC and GM, and give it a shot building around a guy who had postseason potential.  Geno, Fitzpatrick, Petty, now McCown?  Talk about working your way down the ladder, it's comical.

SAR I

Archived