"Sometimes you're late to work. It's life. It's not life threatening ... Sometimes your alarm clock isn't going to go off."- Todd Bowles

Matt39

20 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Cimini every now and again offers up a nugget of wisdom, which is why I respect him more than Mehta.

He says that sometimes Bowles, having been a former player, brings experiences from that to shape his opinions.

The problem being that he is no longer a player, but a head coach.  It's an interesting thought

No it's not. People have in their minds what a successful head coach should be based on what they know and if what they see doesn't measure up to it, then it's not going to work .  Coaches need 3 things, the support of their owner, time and players .

The owner must support his coach by allowing him to keep the players he identifies as key to the success of the program. When a key player comes up for contract, every effort should be exhausted to ensure that player is retained . The GM must identify and select players that best fit the schemes being used by the coordinators . The coordinator and his position coaches must develop and put those players in the best situation to succeed . The HC should oversee all this like a CEO, and manage the coaches and the media .

When a HC tries to do the job that he hired someone to do, that's when thing go off rail and it's at that point that changes need to be made . The Jets as an organization,Todd Bowles  and the GM has apparently learn this in their 2nd year with this regime and have taken the steps thus far to correct the problems . The Owner has made a statement about his commitment to anew way . The GM has parted way with most of the old guard that comprised the leadership  of the team that ended the season in turmoil . The HC has decided to relinquish his hold on the defense and instead focus more on the overall team splitting his duties where they serve the most good . 

The Jets are a developing team, and the process needs to be maintained . The owner must be patient, the GM must continue to add the talent and the coach must continue to grow .  All that some of us want is in the making but the course must be maintained . It almost worked once, but the Owner was swayed, and the GM didn't add the talent and worst allowed the talent that was here to leave .

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL. I've worked for my department for damn near 15 years. I have never, ever, in all of that time been late to work. Because in the culture of the Fire Service, being late is one of those things you just don't do, unless you're a total piece of sh*t.

Bowles is such garbage.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

No it's not. People have in their minds what a successful head coach should be based on what they know and if what they see doesn't measure up to it, then it's not going to work .  Coaches need 3 things, the support of their owner, time and players .

The owner must support his coach by allowing him to keep the players he identifies as key to the success of the program. When a key player comes up for contract, every effort should be exhausted to ensure that player is retained . The GM must identify and select players that best fit the schemes being used by the coordinators . The coordinator and his position coaches must develop and put those players in the best situation to succeed . The HC should oversee all this like a CEO, and manage the coaches and the media .

Oh really? Remember this one? ...

On March 21, 2017 at 6:36 AM, Tinstar said:

Just exactly what is the Job of the OC and the QBs coach ?  Todd Bowles is the HC of the Jets whether you guys like it or not and ultimately he will be judge on how this team does, but it's not his job to develop  any QB .

Bullsh!t. It's the HC's job to see that his staff does their jobs properly, effectively, and produces desirable results (whether you like it or not). 

Either way, it's the HC's responsibility to get it done. That should've been obvious all along. My original point.

And btw, who did our HC select as his new OC given our delicate QB youth movement and how many QBs has the OC developed?

Stop making excuses for Blowes. He's lost like a lost horizon.

When a HC tries to do the job that he hired someone to do, that's when thing go off rail and it's at that point that changes need to be made . The Jets as an organization,Todd Bowles  and the GM has apparently learn this in their 2nd year with this regime and have taken the steps thus far to correct the problems . The Owner has made a statement about his commitment to anew way . The GM has parted way with most of the old guard that comprised the leadership  of the team that ended the season in turmoil . The HC has decided to relinquish his hold on the defense and instead focus more on the overall team splitting his duties where they serve the most good . 

The Jets are a developing team, and the process needs to be maintained . The owner must be patient, the GM must continue to add the talent and the coach must continue to grow .  All that some of us want is in the making but the course must be maintained . It almost worked once, but the Owner was swayed, and the GM didn't add the talent and worst allowed the talent that was here to leave when the HC failed to develop new players.

Fixed

Well if the alarm clock doesn't go off, that is okay but if you are late because of a blizzard you get sent home.

"In 2009, Belichick sent the quartet of Randy Moss, Adalius Thomas, Gary Guyton, and Derrick Burgess home after they were late to practice due to a snow storm. Thomas made the infamous "it's not the Jetsons" comment and almost got into a car accident due to the snow."

oh, wrong coach.

21 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Oh really? Remember this one? ...

Bullsh!t. It's the HC's job to see that his staff does their jobs properly, effectively, and produces desirable results (whether you like it or not). 

Either way, it's the HC's responsibility to get it done. That should've been obvious all along. My original point.

And btw, who did our HC select as his new OC given our delicate QB youth movement and how many QBs has the OC developed?

Stop making excuses for Blowes. He's lost like a lost horizon.

Fixed

So noted. My opinion is my opinion, not dependent on your approval .

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The exact quote was:

"At times, Bowles seems to let the former player in him shape his opinions. When he played, he probably witnessed countless examples of players showing up late for a meeting because of an honest mistake -- i.e., a faulty alarm clock."

Whoa, I never thought of that. Mind. Blown. 

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The exact quote was:

"At times, Bowles seems to let the former player in him shape his opinions. When he played, he probably witnessed countless examples of players showing up late for a meeting because of an honest mistake -- i.e., a faulty alarm clock."

"Conjecture without substantial evidence." — UnitedWhofans

Just now, jetrider said:

"Conjecture without substantial evidence." — UnitedWhofans

Actually he gives another example later in the piece:

Bowles offered a similar response when asked about last season's locker-room strife, which included a Brandon Marshall-Richardson argument that left "a black cloud" over the team, according to Darrelle Revis.

Once again, Bowles sounded like a former player, basically saying, "Boys will be boys." Clearly, the issue was more serious than that, based on comments from his own players."

23 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Before winning a Super Bowl, all coaches must go through the rite of passage of recognizing that players being late to meetings, is Actually Good

Being late is good because it means you at least show up

Our $90 million fat crybaby Muhammed Wilkerson doesn't even show up to the meeting, late, early etc

Just now, thadude said:

Our $90 million fat crybaby Muhammed Wilkerson doesn't even show up to the meeting, late, early etc

It's amazing that after one bad year, the whole Jets fanbase turned on a guy who had been a solid performer for them throughout his career. Even while missing meetings he put up solid numbers.

Just goes to show the fickleness and volatility of this fanbase

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It's amazing that after one bad year, the whole Jets fanbase turned on a guy who had been a solid performer for them throughout his career. Even while missing meetings he put up solid numbers.

I didn't turn on Wilkerson.  I turn on the idea that being late is acceptable because "it's not life threatening."  You know what else isn't life threatening?  Being a sh*tty football team.  That doesn't mean a coach should accept it. 

3 minutes ago, thadude said:

meh, he was injured and not playing that game.  he probably came back too early from the looks of his season last year.  

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I never wanted to resign that guy I even said I preferred to resign Snacks

F Mo Wilk

1 minute ago, whodeawhodat said:

meh, he was injured and not playing that game.  he probably came back too early from the looks of his season last year.  

Awwwww, a $17 million salary and we dare complain about him missing meetings on purpose and half-assing on Sunday 

Just now, thadude said:

I never wanted to resign that guy I even said I preferred to resign Snacks

F Mo Wilk

The problem with resigning Snacks, IMO is that while he's good in the locker room, he's kind of a one trick pony on the field. You saw that when they played the Packers in the playoffs. He was basically a non factor

Just now, whodeawhodat said:

I dont think he was half assing, we will find out this year.

I don't think he was totally half assing. He was hurt and he was doing what he has always done. The thing he learned is that when the money comes your way, a lot more attention is paid to you. 

54 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Actually he gives another example later in the piece:

Bowles offered a similar response when asked about last season's locker-room strife, which included a Brandon Marshall-Richardson argument that left "a black cloud" over the team, according to Darrelle Revis.

Once again, Bowles sounded like a former player, basically saying, "Boys will be boys." Clearly, the issue was more serious than that, based on comments from his own players."

What does that have to do with tardiness and the lame alarm clock excuse? Sure, blame it on Westinghouse.

Just now, jetrider said:

What does that have to do with tardiness and the lame alarm clock excuse? Sure, blame it on Westinghouse.

The inference is that Bowles seemingly lets his experience as a player, where he has seen everything from bad alarm clocks to locker room brawls, affect how he views those problems, as common problems that every team has. That might be correct. But saying that to a fanbase and media after last season is a bad look, They were looking for someone to lay down the law publically.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Again sticking up for the organization no matter what the issue is

9 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I use that phrase often.  With this reference, you are my friend forever.  One of the greatest books ever.  Even if Toole's life story was a tragic one.

I have read it a couple of times, but to be honest, like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, I am unsure if I ever finished it.  I am eternally thankful that they did not go through with making a moving starring that little sh*t, Zack Galifinakis.  

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

I have read it a couple of times, but to be honest, like Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, I am unsure if I ever finished it.  I am eternally thankful that they did not go through with making a moving starring that little sh*t, Zack Galifinakis.  

Oh God.  I never heard that.  What a disaster that would have been.

Archived