Jets Sign CFL CB John Ojo

C Mart

Ojo Comes South from Edmonton, Where He Was All-CFL West for the Grey Cup Champs in 2015

The Jets have signed free agent cornerback John Ojo.

Ojo (6'3", 205) comes to the Jets after spending three seasons off and on with Edmonton of the Canadian Football League. He spent a month with the Eskimos in 2014, then had an eventful '15 season, contributing 41 tackles and five interceptions at defensive back and eight more tackles on special teams. He contributed to Edmonton's Grey Cup-winning team and was named a CFL West All-Star.

Last season Ojo injured his Achilles tendon in the preseason and missed the Eskies' entire season. He became a free agent in February.

Ojo played collegiately at Florida A&M. He went undrafted in the 2014 NFL Draft, then tried out with the Seattle Seahawks before heading north of the border.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-9/Jets-Sign-Free-Agent-CB-John-Ojo/f16002f5-eeb7-4b1e-997f-d1165ab5d0f1

Following the 2016 season he was not re-signed by the Eskimos and became a free agent on February 14, 2017.

As of mid February 2017, Ojo's recovery was set to be completed by the end of March 2017, and he reportedly had up to eight NFL workouts lined up

He was very good for the Eskimos in his one full year here but losing a year due to the Achilles makes him camp fodder imo.  I hope he comes back to the Eskimos as our secondary stinks.

(As an aside the Eskimos fired their GM today, the fans are enraged.  Usually fans are happy when coaches or gms get sacked not this time.  A good gm gets axed because he won't suck off the media and the team president.)

via 2014

Analysis

Strengths

Thin-ankled with vines for arms and a rare wingspan for a defensive back. Able to play the pocket and get his hands on throws other safeties can't. Big-time springs -- boasts a 41-inch vertical leap and can high-point interceptions. Balanced and controlled in his pedal. Dependable, wrap tackler. Nice range -- flashes the ability to swoop down or chase laterally and snare ball carriers. Makes the secondary calls and has good football intelligence and overall character. Serves as a jammer.

Weaknesses

A bit high cut and leggy and does not pop out of breaks cleanly. Average foot speed and agility to transition (heavy speed turns) with quick-footed receivers in man coverage. Limited knock-back power and body strength. Could stand to improve route recognition and anticipation. Very ordinary production on the ball. Durability is an issue -- has been dinged up and missed considerable time. Will be a 24-year-old rookie.

Draft Projection

Priority free agent

Bottom Line

Tall, lean, high-cut center fielder with backup potential as a deep safety. Is more of a rangy deterrent than a playmaking punisher, but will get a look for his measurables alone, especially in a league seeking secondary length now more than ever. Lacks ideal twitch and physicality for special teams and must prove worthy in this area to stick.

-Nolan Nawrocki

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/john-ojo?id=2549912

Cornerback Corps

Cornerback - 9

•     41 - Buster Skrine 5'9" 185 Tennessee-Chattanooga
  •     20 - Marcus Williams 5'11" 195 North Dakota State  (Restricted Free Agent- 2nd Round Tender)
  •     xx - Morris Claiborne 5'11"  192 LSU (2017 Free Agent Signing)
  •     32 - Juston Burris 6'0" 205 NC State
  •     27 - Darryl Roberts 6'0" 182 Marshall
  •     30 - Nick Marshall 6'1" 206 Auburn   (Exclusive Rights Free Agent)
  •     23 - Dexter McDougle 5'10" 196 Maryland   (Restricted Free Agent)
  •     37 - Bryson Keeton 6'2" 190 Montana State
  •     xx - John Ojo 6'3" 205 Florida A&M (CFL)

3 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Cornerback Corps

Cornerback - 9

•     41 - Buster Skrine 5'9" 185 Tennessee-Chattanooga
  •     20 - Marcus Williams 5'11" 195 North Dakota State  (Restricted Free Agent- 2nd Round Tender)
  •     xx - Morris Claiborne 5'11"  192 LSU (2017 Free Agent Signing)
  •     32 - Juston Burris 6'0" 205 NC State
  •     27 - Darryl Roberts 6'0" 182 Marshall
  •     30 - Nick Marshall 6'1" 206 Auburn   (Exclusive Rights Free Agent)
  •     23 - Dexter McDougle 5'10" 196 Maryland   (Restricted Free Agent)
  •     37 - Bryson Keeton 6'2" 190 Montana State
  •     xx - John Ojo 6'3" 205 Florida A&M (CFL)

Who's cookies is McDougle nibbling to STILL have a spot on the roster?

He's had a longer leash than ANYONE else on the team other than Dozier. I know everyone lauds his intangibles, but what has he done to last this long? His ceiling is NickelBack AT BEST?!?! 

5 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

He's had a longer leash than ANYONE else on the team other than Dozier. I know everyone lauds his intangibles, but what has he done to last this long? His ceiling is NickelBack AT BEST?!?! 

I think it has a lot to do with the secondary being so bad.  I mean, McDougle spent most of last season on the PS and rarely got on the filed when he was active.  You're always going to have a few guys at the bottom of the roster who are fringe players and that's what McDougle is right now.

As far as Dozier goes, he played well when he got some action in place of Winers last season.  Seems to me he's viewed as a quality NFL back up who can play C and G, so no need to let him go unless somebody better is brought in.

11 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

I for one applaud his stick-to-it-ness. 

13 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Safe to say this year is his last chance w/the Jets. Not an excuse but he's hardly played football the past four yrs w/his injuries (sr season at Maryland, rookie season ACL, hamstring last season)

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

I think it has a lot to do with the secondary being so bad.  I mean, McDougle spent most of last season on the PS and rarely got on the filed when he was active.  You're always going to have a few guys at the bottom of the roster who are fringe players and that's what McDougle is right now.

As far as Dozier goes, he played well when he got some action in place of Winers last season.  Seems to me he's viewed as a quality NFL back up who can play C and G, so no need to let him go unless somebody better is brought in.

Pretty much spot on RE: McDougle. No reason to think he will be on the active roster once the 2017 season gets underway and I don't believe the Jets can put his on PS anymore.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67993/how-jon-gruden-feels-about-the-jets-mitch-trubisky-and-the-sixth-pick

6. Running out of room: After signing former CFL cornerback John Ojo, the Jets have 82 players on the roster, only eight shy of the league limit. That doesn't leave them much wiggle room, considering they have seven draft picks. They'll have to start making cuts if they accumulate additional picks and/or sign the usual number of undrafted free agents.

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/67993/how-jon-gruden-feels-about-the-jets-mitch-trubisky-and-the-sixth-pick

6. Running out of room: After signing former CFL cornerback John Ojo, the Jets have 82 players on the roster, only eight shy of the league limit. That doesn't leave them much wiggle room, considering they have seven draft picks. They'll have to start making cuts if they accumulate additional picks and/or sign the usual number of undrafted free agents.

I still know a few players who won't be on the roster come the start of camp .

Archived