Phil Simms moves to CBS studio show

C Mart

By Kevin Patra

Around the NFL writer

Updated: April 19, 2017 at 03:44 p.m.

By Kevin Patra

Simms will be analyst on CBS studio show

Simms spoke with Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch about the move on Wednesday.

"Listen, I didn't make any comments for a lot of reasons and you want to sit there and think about it," Simms said. "Initially was my pride hurt? Absolutely. Of course it was ... So it took a little bit. Not long. I started thinking about it in a positive way and then I became excited about it.

"[CBS Sports Chairman] Sean [McManus] had talked to me over the years about maybe going into the studio. I now get to follow the league like I want to. That was probably the most frustrating thing about my job. You do one or two games a week, you can't really pay attention to the other teams like I wanted to do. When you do games, you are all-in on those games. On Inside The NFL, I get to say things about stuff that I never get to say in a broadcast."

Simms will replace Tony Gonzalez in the CBS studio, and will join James Brown, Bill Cowher, Bart Scott and Boomer Esiason.

The announcement comes two weeks after CBS signed Romo to replace Simms as the No. 1 game analyst. The ex-Dallas Cowboys quarterback usurping the lead role left Simms in temporary limbo.

Simms has been in broadcasting since retiring following the 1993 season. He had been CBS's top in-game analyst since pairing with Greg Gumble in 1998, following stints at NBC and ESPN.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000801044/article/phil-simms-moves-to-cbs-studio-show?campaign=Twitter_atn

Simms was solid when he first started doing games, but he just devolved over the years. I think the NFL is in dire need of fresh blood all around when it comes to broadcasting, particularly some guys who don't shrug off math as gay.

Not Gruden though. Never change anything Gruden does. Ever.

4 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Simms was solid when he first started doing games, but he just devolved over the years. I think the NFL is in dire need of fresh blood all around when it comes to broadcasting, particularly some guys who don't shrug off math as gay.

Not sure who thinks math is gay. If anything the stats stuff in sports is beyond over the top. 

And Gruden is good for when you want to see THE BESTEST!!!! at any position. They seem to play every week when he's on. 

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Strongly agree w the bolded part. I don't need more stats though and I could live without Gruden's over-the-top style tbh.   I used to like Simms btw but he's gotten a little stale the past few years (like almost all of these guys).

Btw, back in the 80's we had absolute legends in the booth all over the place.  Vin Scully, Pat Summerall, Tom Brookshier, John Madden (at least his early years), Charlie Jones, Merlin Olsen, Howard Cosell, Dick Enberg, Marv Albert, Don Criqui, etc. 

Other sports had great announcers too.  In general announcing has gotten WAY worse over the past couple of decades. Joe Buck is the lead for FOX for crying out loud!

7 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Math in a contact sport is gay.  Way to much stats in football.  It's not baseball

13 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

What they really need is Ray Scott redux----guys who talk a lot less. All sports has become a gabfest--it's not just football----and it is annoying.  I just want to see the game. And hear the crowds.  A little goes a long way. I do not need to hear a two yard off tackle dive hyper-analyzed.  Sports has become like the 24 hour news cycle.

7 hours ago, flgreen said:

Math in a contact sport is gay.  Way to much stats in football.  It's not baseball

it's not that the math is gay.  it's that it's probably meaningless in a game like football where a player's performance is impacted by those around him moreso than baseball.  whatever.  it'll be very interesting when they start doing sabermetrics in football and it works.

24 minutes ago, rangerous said:

it's not that the math is gay.  it's that it's probably meaningless in a game like football where a player's performance is impacted by those around him moreso than baseball.  whatever.  it'll be very interesting when they start doing sabermetrics in football and it works.

Cleveland Browns and Paul Depodesta. (Though the "and it works" part is still a question mark at the moment)

8 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Not a fan of Simms but, why would they bump their number 1 to the studio?

Why not just pair him with someone else?

I thought the exact same thing.  I think this happened with Greg Gumbel a few years back too when he got replaced by Nantz. Pretty sure he went to the studio for a few years.  There's such a dearth of announcing talent that it's ridiculous to relegate these guys to those absolutely idiotic pregame shows. 

Archived