So , when do we trade Sheldon for a draft pick ?

OH THE PAIN

3 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

I agree; which is probably part of the reason Sheldon is a 'malcontent'...he thrives chasing people behind the LOS, not covering slot receivers/RB's in the flat..which ultimately makes him look worse from a FA standpoint.

In fact, I think he's a better 3-4 DT/DE than MoWilk (personal issues not withstanding) and with Mo continually disappointing last season Sheldon should have taken his spot IMO. Part of Sheldon's 'NYJ' issues is the timing of his selection relative to Mo's...Mo's deal was up first and then the personal issues didn't help so he know's his future here is limited.

He ain't a brain surgeon, he's just a high motor guy who needs the right environment (I watched him closely while he was here at Mizzou) and a defined role and he'll run through any wall you ask him to.  Put him on NEP or PITT and he'd be a terror. I wish we hadn't resigned MoWilk honestly.

I don't disagree as to his being more talented or Mo disappointing or the two of them together feeding off each other's laziness.

Put it this way: say none of the three are playing poorly. Now what base scheme fits all 3 of them together? I can't think of one, and even played Madden 92 a few times.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't disagree as to his being more talented or Mo disappointing or the two of them together feeding off each other's laziness.

Put it this way: say none of the three are playing poorly. Now what base scheme fits all 3 of them together? I can't think of one, and even played Madden 92 a few times.

Oh, you'd need another guy, a DE type and then play a 4-3 with Sheldon on the outside...hell, you could rotate Mo, Shel and Leo amongst the other three spots as the situation warrants.  Sheldon is good enough to play a 4-3 DE in some hybrid 4-3 scheme.  Playing a true 3-4 with Mo, Shel and Leo I agree is a waste of a very good players talents.

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

How should he have been used?

I'm hardly one to come to the rescue of one Todd Bowles, whom I believe to be in as over his head as his GM counterpart. But really, is the way to utilize him to line up the slowest, heaviest/fattest 4-man DL in NFL history? Or is one of these three a pure 3-4 nose tackle?

I'm not trying to be a dick about it (thought admittedly it often comes out that way), but while they're all individually very talented, there is no good scheme for 3 such players simultaneously, except during obvious running downs.

JMO.

Rex used him at fullback. So there's that.

1 minute ago, greenwave81 said:

Oh, you'd need another guy, a DE type and then play a 4-3 with Sheldon on the outside...hell, you could rotate Mo, Shel and Leo amongst the other three spots as the situation warrants.  Sheldon is good enough to play a 4-3 DE in some hybrid 4-3 scheme.  Playing a true 3-4 with Mo, Shel and Leo I agree is a waste of a very good players talents.

Kind of my point is that you're predestined to wasting the talents of one of them. They're too slow collectively to play a 4-3 with basically four DTs every down.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

There is 1 lost hope other than comp pick. Hope Sheldon comes in starts season strong. When reality hits one of these GMs and their flier pick isn't panning out, playoff hunt team trades a 4th for him. 

LMAO...How can Sheldon 'start the season strong' if he's playing out of position on a constant basis?  That's the rub.

4 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

He is playing for a payday next season. It may not be with the Jets so he may play very hard

This.

Plus wasn't he named a team captain in of the last few games of the season.

The organization obviously thinks he's worth more that a 3 or 4th pick. He'll play his ass off this year for it's all about the money folks.

10 hours ago, greenwave81 said:

LMAO...How can Sheldon 'start the season strong' if he's playing out of position on a constant basis?  That's the rub.

Who says mac won't tell the moron Bowles to play him where he belongs so we can trade him. If I were mac I'd tell Bowles "ok We have enough safeties now u don't need to be dropping Sheldon into coverage this yr ??"

The whole issue with Richardson and Pryor is beyond comprehension right now.  We could switch to a 4-3 but then Lee would waste the year away.  

Maybe they expect the offense to be historically bad.  So maybe they need him in a steady DL rotation.  

And with Pryor, Bowles could play a lot of 3-safety formations but IMO, Miles is better than Pryor and plays on ST.  Plus, what could Adams and Maye teach Pryor that he hasn't learned in his first three years.

They could just make them both back ups, and let them leave next year, adding two late round comp picks.

18 hours ago, dbatesman said:

It's called roster management folks, and Macc is the master at it

Not sure why he didn't demand another team trade a 2nd rounder for him.  That's what all the good GM's do.

Archived