#JetsCamp Updates - Day Two - Sun 07/30/17

Maxman

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

When Bowles brings his final 53 man roster with depth chart to start the season to little Woody, and McCown is listed as QB 1.

imagegif

Mccagnan has authority over the 53 man roster. Bowles has gameday authority 

6 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Meh....that same account was tweeting out super awesome pics of Geno Smith striking a pose up until about three minutes before Fitz signed this time last year. 

Agreed. It's not out of the question that they could trade for Fitz in August.

3 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

The trolls have had a bad 2 days with Hackenberg not totally sh*tting the bed in practice so far.  So now some have bizarrely shifted tactics to criticizing the Jets for "handing" the job to McCown or to criticizing Bowles press conference . Sucks to spend 6 months chomping the the bit to savage a guy and then not get the chance right off the bat 

Jets fans will always find something to complain about. If we won a championship we'd criticize the color of the confetti at the parade. "Its the wrong shade of green! this wouldn't happen at a Patriots parade! So bush league, SMH!"

Just now, T0mShane said:

Agreed. It's not out of the question that they could trade for Fitz in August.

Nope...gonna' outdo last season and trade for him while they're packing for the trip to Buffalo.

15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Blaine Gabbert quickly impresses Jaguars in training camp

Jaguars%20Camp%20Football_Klei.jpg?itok=

Jacksonville Jaguars rookie quarterback Blaine Gabbert throws a pass Saturday during training camp. By RICK WILSON, The Associated Press

JACKSONVILLE -- Blaine Gabbert's first week of training camp has included impressive throws, nifty runs and deft decisions, making him look more like a regular than a rookie.

Seeing Gabbert in person has only reinforced Jacksonville's decision. After not being able to get on the field for three months because of the NFL lockout, Gabbert needed just a few days to dazzle coaches, teammates, front office personnel and fans.

Back-shoulder throws, perfectly placed seam passes and scrambling runs have been among Gabbert's highlights.

"He's got a great skill set in terms of arm and size and speed, those things," coach Jack Del Rio said Tuesday. "We think he's got a bright upside. He's got a lot of work to do. He's doing some things now off natural ability, being able to throw the ball that will only get better.

"He's going to get experience, he's going to get time, and at some point, he's going to be a really good player. I think we can all see that."

The Jaguars expect to give Gabbert some work with the first-team offense during the preseason, but Del Rio said nothing he does will change the plan for the franchise's quarterback of the future. Instead, Gabbert will watch and learn from starter David Garrard and third-stringer Luke McCown for at least a season.

"We are in a fortunate situation that we've got two quarterbacks here that we know can play in this league," Del Rio said. "He's not going to get forced into action. ... It may happen around the league. It's happened before. Certainly this is a different year than most, but things like that occur.

"Sometimes guys, the best at their position, they end up playing. But is that a likely scenario? It's not one we envision. It's not one we're looking for at all. In fact, we've said many times over David's our guy and we have a capable backup in Luke and we're going to bring Blaine along."

Garrard, Gabbert and the rest of the Jaguars insist the team's quarterback dynamic is a healthy one, with everyone comfortable in their roles and no one second-guessing any decisions.

"Dave's the starting quarterback," Gabbert said. "He's a heck of a football player. People say he's not, that's wrong. Some of the throws he can make and makes on a daily basis are extremely impressive. ... Although I'm a competitor and I'm going to go out there and play the best I can and play to the best of my ability, David is the starting quarterback of this football team."

Garrard completed 64.5 percent of his passes in 2010, setting a franchise record with 23 touchdowns passes but also throwing a career-high 15 interceptions. He was sacked 33 times, lost four of his 11 fumbles and questioned by people inside and outside the building.

Garrard had some of the best games of his nine-year career, but also endured some of the worst. The Jaguars responded by drafting a quarterback for the first time since 2003.

Gabbert threw 40 touchdown passes and 18 interceptions as a two-year starter at Missouri. He might be in a better position to vie for playing time in Jacksonville had he gone through minicamp, organized team activities and been able to work with assistant coaches all summer. Instead, he might have to wait for his shot.

"Everybody wants to play, but whatever is best for this football team that's what the coaches are going to do," Gabbert said. "You guys give Dave a hard time. He's a hell of a quarterback and it's fun watching him play because the throws he makes very few people in the world can make those. Having that chance to learn from him, watch his footwork, watch how he plays the game, is very valuable to me."

Gabbert might be able to pass along some tips himself.

Coaches and teammates rave about his arm strength, pocket presence, situational awareness and speed. His demeanor, too.

"This is a very good spot for him," cornerback Rashean Mathis said. "He's around a proven veteran that knows how to win games, who's been through the flood as well. He can learn a lot. I know all players coming into the league want to play right away, but I think he has that positive attitude that if this is his year to sit, he's going to soak up as much as he can. His attitude is great and he's in a prime position."

4 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

The trolls have had a bad 2 days with Hackenberg not totally sh*tting the bed in practice so far.  So now some have bizarrely shifted tactics to criticizing the Jets for "handing" the job to McCown or to criticizing Bowles press conference . Sucks to spend 6 months chomping the the bit to savage a guy and then not get the chance right off the bat 

You got three upvotes for "not sh*tting the bed." Perfect example as to why Jets ownership trolls the living sh*t out of the fanbase.

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Mccagnan has authority over the 53 man roster. Bowles has gameday authority 

Bowles has depth chart authority thou so I think you get my point, when Bowles takes Maccs final 53, and then arranges the depth chart to show McCown as QB 1 to Chris Johnson as both report separately to the man in charge of them.  Better?

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Nope...gonna' outdo last season and trade for him while they're packing for the trip to Buffalo.

Glenn, would this surprise one person? You wake up, September 3rd, see the Jets traded a conditional pick for Fitz? 

Oh and Deshaun Watson is walking on to one of the most loaded teams in football, but that can't possibly affect how a QB looks or, going further into it, how a team decides to draft players.

Its important to take everything that happens in the early going with a grain of salt. These camp practices are worth more together than the sum of their individual parts. What we should be looking for is some level of positive continuity, not small sample sizes.

9 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

He has a ton to prove but people writing him off based on last year, just makes no sense.

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You got three upvotes for "not sh*tting the bed." Perfect example as to why Jets ownership trolls the living sh*t out of the fanbase.

As bad as he was last season, I felt like "not sh*tting the bed" was his ceiling for the first few days of camp.  Sounds like he's already light years ahead of last season.  I'll take it for day two of camp.

Now, a few weeks from now, let's see how he's doing.

4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Bowles says both Adams and Maye are further along as rookies than most 1st-year safeties he's been around. #Jets

But, But, But it's just t-shirts, and shorts how can he evaluate?  Such a contradiction because he is the defensive coach, dude is an abortion as a HC.

43 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

BUT HE'S A SAFEEEETTTTTYYYYY

Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73)

7/30/17, 4:31 PM

Bowles says both Adams and Maye are further along as rookies than most 1st-year safeties he's been around. #Jets

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Glenn, would this surprise one person? You wake up, September 3rd, see the Jets traded a conditional pick for Fitz? 

We both know that every fan on the planet would be flabbergasted (did I spell that right?) if that happened, and @Maxman would be working overtime to stop excessive traffic from crashing the site.

Day 2 was a better day for the Jets' quarterbacks -- look, no interceptions -- but one thing jumped out about Christian Hackenberg: He has a tendency to hold the ball too long. Unofficially, he took three "sacks" in 16 reps. He completed 8 of 11 passes. Bryce Petty (6-for-10, 14 reps) made a couple of nice long throws. Josh McCown (9-for-12, 19 reps) worked with the starters again.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fcimini_Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

But, But, But it's just t-shirts, and shorts how can he evaluate?  Such a contradiction because he is the defensive coach, dude is an abortion as a HC.

Perhaps he's also taking about classwork, film study, understanding the D and their assignments. 

Just now, flgreen said:

Day 2 was a better day for the Jets' quarterbacks -- look, no interceptions -- but one thing jumped out about Christian Hackenberg: He has a tendency to hold the ball too long. Unofficially, he took three "sacks" in 16 reps. He completed 8 of 11 passes. Bryce Petty (6-for-10, 14 reps) made a couple of nice long throws. Josh McCown (9-for-12, 19 reps) worked with the starters again.

IIRC Pennington initially had the same issue. 

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

I will get excited about hack if he can keep making progress when pads are on. See if the pressure from the possibility of getting sacked shakes him up a bit. People are getting excited too soon I think...they told us Sanchez and geno looked great in camp too remember.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

No I don't remember that at all, all I remember was the D dominating every single training camp those 2 were involved in.

Just now, flgreen said:

I'll take it. That's a pretty typical problem for a young QB. As long as he can make accurate throws and maintain his form without thinking this will develop over time.

Just now, Tony MaC said:

I'll take it. That's a pretty typical problem for a young QB. As long as he can make accurate throws and maintain his form without thinking this will develop over time.

Yup I'll take the sack over a pick every time.  Just let that progress hopefully over the course of TC and PS and get him in the habit of throwing it away a little quicker and we will have some major progress over our previous QBs.

Archived