Petty Injury Not Considered Serious

JetNation

IMG_9932.jpg

Quarterback injuries are a scary thing, especially when you are late in the preseason and your QB situation is still up in the air. When a young QB goes 15 / 18 with 250 yards passing and 3 TDs, it seems natural to believe that QB would be at the top of the depth chart.

Welcome to the world of being a Jets fan because right as Petty had a chance at his 4th TD in the 2nd half an injured knee took him out of the game. He was scheduled to receive an MRI on Sunday and this report from Adam Schefter is encouraging.

Playing Petty on Thursday night doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense. We should hear soon who Coach Bowles is picking to start week one in Buffalo. If this Schefter report is true, this injury won’t be enough to keep Petty off the field.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
N-HVIEr2a38

Click here to read the full story...

Start this man. If the competition was legitimate. Petty did all he could to win it. 2nd stringers or not he showed poise, confidence enthusiasm, intelligence and talent, and was the dominant player on the field second half. If Bowles has ANY integrity he will do the right thing.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Start this man. If the competition was legitimate. Petty did all he could to win it. 2nd stringers or not he showed poise, confidence enthusiasm, intelligence and talent, and was the dominant player on the field second half. If Bowles has ANY integrity he will do the right thing.

Add to that: he listens to our problems, is kind to our mothers, and is a dynamo in bed.

We need to put a ring on that and lock that sh*t down. Pronto!

18 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

did he make the right reads, throw to the right receiver, call the right protection?  If he did then start him.  2nd or 3rd stringers have no bearing on his 

decisions on who to throw to  or which protection to call.

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

That pass to Powell was a thing of beauty and BP knew what to do with it. Petty is the game 1 starter

SO was the scramble and pass to wide open A. Stewart but he had to do a lot to get to that point. But of course, McClown hinted it was all a sham and he has starter locked up. Would suck. Petty needs to be out there.But you know...Bowles.....

Just now, johnnysd said:

SO was the scramble and pass to wide open A. Stewart but he had to do a lot to get to that point. But of course, McClown hinted it was all a sham and he has starter locked up. Would suck. Petty needs to be out there.But you know...Bowles.....

Speaking of A Stewart...him and Hansen both seem to be emerging week to week in leaps and bounds.

Great, don't play on Thursday, since most starters skip that one.  

Petty should be the starter without question right now until he falters or Hackenberg improves drastically.  McCown, I couldn't care less about.  I really hope he isn't starting at all.  He can be the morale leader on the sideline, lol. 

I think Hack had a chance to be the starter but blew it.  It's my belief that Petty pretty much had no chance from the start.  I say that, unless McCown is injured, he'll be the week 1 starter. 

Maybe a more interesting question would be if McCown WAS injured, who would be the starter.  I still would say the coaching staff would see that as a toss-up and Thursday's game would still play a big factor.  Petty putting up big #'s against 2nd and 3rd stringers is not a particularly convincing argument.

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Speaking of A Stewart...him and Hansen both seem to be emerging week to week in leaps and bounds.

I agree with you here bro. Both of them are getting comfortable with Petty. I wonder how the other WR's will do with Petty like Peake and Anderson?

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

TB and Macc do more damage to this team as many here see and post. Signing McCown for that money was a waste. I know that people compete against themselves but not bid against themselves. TtWICE.

If Bowles names McCown the starter today I would not be surprised as he is the New $6MM Man and Macc may look bad. These two cannot win together it seems. All three should be cut if Petty is healthy and McCown is named the starter.

NYJ logic is something that only is bottled at Florham Park.

Start Petty, keep McCown "Warmed up" in the pen in case Petty is just awful and you need someone to just stabilize the game.  Petty gets at least the first 4-6 games, if he plays wells keep him in if not you give Hack some reps with the same caveat McCown is there in relief.  He's essentially becomes our long reliever/mop up duty man.  I know the Jets feel Petty isn't there guy but what other option do they have other than giving him a shot?  McCown's 38 and we all know what he is, Hack clearly isn't ready.  Give Petty the chance, even if he plays ok I don't expect the Jets to go into the 2018 draft thinking they have their guy.  You still draft a QB next year and let them battle it out in camp.

I'm starting to think Petty is a gamer, meaning he struggles in practice but with more real game experience could become one of those gambling QBs, throwing on the run. You know the type, the no..no..don't do it...omg, yes! what a play!

I just hope he gets past these weird injury bug he's had. Maybe with more real game experience he'll learn how to protect himself. You have to be aware out there even AFTER you get rid of the ball when all hell is breaking loose around your feet.

I love his enthusiasm & it seems to carry over to the rest of the offense. I'm not giving up on Hack, I just think Petty is slightly ahead of him in the confidence area which is a huge part of playing QB. That ability to bounce back, something that Geno Smith lacked completely.

8 hours ago, jetfan39 said:

did he make the right reads, throw to the right receiver, call the right protection?  If he did then start him.  2nd or 3rd stringers have no bearing on his 

decisions on who to throw to  or which protection to call.

As I was listening to the game on the radio, the announcers seemed to confirm this statement. They said Petty was clearly going through his progressions, was decisive, and throwing it to the right receiver.

Petty recently said he loves this West Coast offense. Maybe it's a better fit for him than Chan Gailey's old system. 

Give him a little more time to absorb it, and maybe his ceiling is a little higher than many people thought it was.

34 minutes ago, Happy Clouds said:

As I was listening to the game on the radio, the announcers seemed to confirm this statement. They said Petty was clearly going through his progressions, was decisive, and throwing it to the right receiver.

Petty recently said he loves this West Coast offense. Maybe it's a better fit for him than Chan Gailey's old system. 

Give him a little more time to absorb it, and maybe his ceiling is a little higher than many people thought it was.

He seemed completely comfortable and in command of the offense. It does seem to fit him really well. He just looked like a solid NFL QB. With the mildest of MCL sprains no reason not to name him the starter unless the "competition" was the sham it looked to be at the beginning. McClown starting accomplishes nothing. Only reason would be that Petty or Hack cant run the offense but that is just simply not a true statement with Petty.

I think the Jets need to play the long game.

They are not the Cowboys when the had a top flight line and were picking Zeke.  This is a team that will pick high in 2018's Draft, by design, but still has a lot of holes.

2017 is all about seeing if the Jets need 1 or 2 QBs in 2018, and whether Hack and/or Petty can start and/or be traded for value while the future franchise QB learns and avoids getting beat up by this mess of an OL.

Petty seems fragile to me.  I think the better long term plan is to IR him for 6 games, have him work to get strong and flexible for 2 months, and pick up a cut QB to take Petty's spot.  When Petty comes back, keep the better player on the roster, and put the other on the practice squad.

The Jets OL has been terrible this preseason, and you can't really say the WRs are 1, 2 or 3.  The Jets should play McCown for a quarter with the starters, and then play Hack with the starting OL for a good portion of the game.  

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think the Jets need to play the long game.

They are not the Cowboys when the had a top flight line and were picking Zeke.  This is a team that will pick high in 2018's Draft, by design, but still has a lot of holes.

2017 is all about seeing if the Jets need 1 or 2 QBs in 2018, and whether Hack and/or Petty can start and/or be traded for value while the future franchise QB learns and avoids getting beat up by this mess of an OL.

Petty seems fragile to me.  I think the better long term plan is to IR him for 6 games, have him work to get strong and flexible for 2 months, and pick up a cut QB to take Petty's spot.  When Petty comes back, keep the better player on the roster, and put the other on the practice squad.

The Jets OL has been terrible this preseason, and you can't really say the WRs are 1, 2 or 3.  The Jets should play McCown for a quarter with the starters, and then play Hack with the starting OL for a good portion of the game.  

Could not disagree more. It accomplishes nothing. Seems like you have that veteran QB mindset. Petty's injury is not a big deal. He could probably practice today with a brace and couple play Thursday. He will be completely healed in 2 weeks. Tennis players continue playing matches with mild MCL sprains

Archived