49ers Trading CB Rashard Robinson to Jets

23 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Here’s my take. I wanted Paradis more than anyone and I wanted to trade back to get Bradbury but maybe Mac and Gase know better. 

Is it beyond the realm of possibility that Harrison might actually be a good center? The thread the other day seemed to indicate that.

Maybe Mac affirmatively decided NOT to trade back BECAUSE we actually have a competent center. 

That would drive the “Fire Mac” crowd crazy but it could be part of the plan. 

Of course if it doesn’t work out, Mac will pay.

Mac has not paid for 5 years of sh*tty drafting and zero team building plan.  Why will he pay for anything else?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I'm not going to pretend to understand the mindset but if there was a 20% chance of the player working out it was better than the chances of a 5th round pick. 

People need to simmer down. 

I kind of agree.  This is not a big deal either way, but there are reasons not to like the move.  The kid had some character concerns IIRC.  He was coming over mid-season which would make that year kind of a wash.  That leaves you with only 2 years on his rookie deal.  I would take a 17% chance at 4 years over 20% chance of 2 years any day.  I just see it as a coach/GM disconnect.  They traded for the kid after he played 16 snaps on Sunday for the Niners before a Thursday night game.  Inexplicably he played some ST snaps Thursday, but he only rates 20 snaps total on D for the year? 

I think what it boiled down to was much simpler.  Claiborne got hurt and missed snaps week 8 and the game week 9. Skrine missed week 8, They had already cut Marcus Williams.  Juston Burris played a bunch of snaps week 8 and 9, and Roberts had to step up.  They brought in Robert Nelson and I think he played a bunch of CB week 8 even though he is mostly considered a safety.  This may have been an emergency move that wasn't needed and didn't pan out long-term.  If Skrine couldn't go against the Bills, they were screwed.  He played 100% of the snaps. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Mac has not paid for 5 years of sh*tty drafting and zero team building plan.  Why will he pay for anything else?

Maybe I’m presenting my position wrong. 

I’m not living in the past- Mac is not getting fired between now and September so continuing to rail about his failures will accomplish nothing. 

I get that a bunch of you guys want him fired immediately—if not retroactively. 

But it’s not going to happen. I’m not defending him, just trying to deal with the hand we’ve been dealt. 

He could be the worst GM in the history of the NFL but he’s not getting fired and certainly not because of the perfectly reasoned arguments made here by some of you. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

My point still stands and is not refuted here:  Its better to try to find a gem in the draft in the 5th round, and control his contract for 4 years on the cheap, than trade a 5th for a player another team is giving up on. 

Even if the chances are low you find a starter with your own pick, sometimes that starter can be one you keep around for a long time, well beyond his rookie deal.  Very, very rarely does a 5th-for-a-pick ever get you a useful player for 4+ years. 

Did you know that Wayne Chrebet was given up on by the Baltimore Stallions? 

25 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Did you know that Wayne Chrebet was given up on by the Baltimore Stallions? 

And exactly what does that have to do with my point?  Are you suggesting Rashard Robinson could be the next Wayne Chrebet?  Because for every Chrebet, there's like 5,000 Rashard Robinson's. 

On 5/13/2019 at 12:25 PM, Peace Frog said:

Maybe I’m presenting my position wrong. 

I’m not living in the past- Mac is not getting fired between now and September so continuing to rail about his failures will accomplish nothing. 

I get that a bunch of you guys want him fired immediately—if not retroactively. 

But it’s not going to happen. I’m not defending him, just trying to deal with the hand we’ve been dealt. 

He could be the worst GM in the history of the NFL but he’s not getting fired and certainly not because of the perfectly reasoned arguments made here by some of you. 

FIRE TAKE!!!!!!!!!!