49ers Trading CB Rashard Robinson to Jets

2 hours ago, jetrider said:

You saying a player can't leave one organization and find success on another team? Gee, that's never happened before ...

Huh?  That's not what I said at all.  the guy might be really good might be steal, might be a bum.  But at this point in time on this day we spent a 5th round pick to get him.  so the team said, this guy is worth a 5th rounder to us right now and his value will be better than us using a 5th rounder next year.

We as fans can agree to disagree with move and we can do it right now.

Over a period to look at all of these moves, all trades, all draft picks, all fa signings and say this front office is doing well or not.  You are never going to be right 100% of the time or wrong 100% of the time.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Huh?  That's not what I said at all.  the guy might be really good might be steal, might be a bum.  But at this point in time on this day we pent a 5th round pick to get him.  so the team said, this guy is worth a 5th rounder to us right now and his value will be better than us using a 5th rounder next year.

We as fans can agree to disagree with move and we can do it right now.

Over a period to look at all of these moves, all trades, all draft picks, all fa signings and say this front office is doing well or not.  You are never going to be right 100% of the time or wrong 100% of the time.

People just don't get it.  It's no different than pointing out that drafting two safeties that high is a bad idea, even if they both end up being good players.

• 1 year later...

Bump.

At least most of us are consistent.  People killing Macc for Robinson today are the same ones that killed him 18 months ago when the trade went down.  And now, with the benefit of hindsight, they were right.

As for me, I thought it was worth risking a 5 on a 22 year old CB with upside.  I was wrong.  Not the first time, won't be the last either.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Bump.

At least most of us are consistent.  People killing Macc for Robinson today are the same ones that killed him 18 months ago when the trade went down.  And now, with the benefit of hindsight, they were right.

As for me, I thought it was worth risking a 5 on a 22 year old CB with upside.  I was wrong.  Not the first time, won't be the last either.

I think the unknown here is how much of a behavioral issue Robinson had and how much that played into the 49ers dumping him on us, and if that’s why the Jets dumped him now. It’s more understandable if, as you pointed out, they just didn’t want to pay any more than the minimum for a player they have to babysit, whom would likely be CB4 or 5 anyway. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think the unknown here is how much of a behavioral issue Robinson had and how much that played into the 49ers dumping him on us, and if that’s why the Jets dumped him now. It’s more understandable if, as you pointed out, they just didn’t want to pay any more than the minimum for a player they have to babysit, whom would likely be CB4 or 5 anyway. 

Not your funniest comment. 

• WTF? 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Agreed.  Has to be more to the story than we know at this point.  I get not wanting to pay him or put him on the 53, but we have a 90 man roster right now.  To not carry him on the 90 suggests more than just on field reasons for his release.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Interesting tidbit from Yahoo:
"Jets coach Todd Bowles, however, did not appear to be in on the decision to make the trade: Reporters at the Jets’ facility say Bowles only learned about it from the media."
https://sports.yahoo.com/49ers-trade-rashard-robinson-jets-195954916.html

The less Bowles is involved, the better. His days should be numbered. 

Another player Bowles ruined. Sheesh. When can this Macc guy catch a break?
  • Upvote 1

To review, in the same season Macc drafted 2 safeties and 2 corners, he’s had to resort to trading more assets to acquire a corner and a safety. That’s 3 years after dropping a boatload of money on the secondary. 
Why, again, is this man gainfully employed?

Why, indeed.

It is!  You try and make valid points but they just can't help themselves.  It's like they've been programmed to respond to any move Macc makes with vitriol and condescension.

Ealy is a player..  getting Kearse and a 2nd rounder for Richardson was a coup..  Kerley playing well..  Lee coming around..  Adams and Maye playing well and will only get better... McGuire has some juice..  Stewart with a couple nice plays and ready to get more time..  We haven't even seen Leggett or Hansen yet but all they do is whine whine whine. 

If Clark or Jones turn into a player this could be a great draft!  but watch..  they'll whine about Donahue.

Hahahahahahaha

This whole post is pure gold.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, Lith said:

As for me, I thought it was worth risking a 5 on a 22 year old CB with upside. 

The problem is there's no basis for this belief. 5th round picks are valuable and the sheer volume of guys who don't make it in the NFL lends far more to the assumption that it's better to bet on the unknown than the likely known. As a rule of thumb teams just don't rid themselves of guys who are worth it and reclamation projects usually fail. It's not whining or negative to react to these things skeptically because the evidence and history say it won't work out. Blind optimism is a wonderful quality to have but not when it comes to throwing away assets on hope. Teams like the Jets can't afford to be reckless. Every single piece of capital matters, draft picks especially. If you're looking for reasons why this franchise can't ever find it's footing, it's the little things like this. Wasted mid-rounders on top of misappropriated early rounders. It's no wonder they haven't made the playoffs in a decade.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

54 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The problem is there's no basis for this belief. 5th round picks are valuable and the sheer volume of guys who don't make it in the NFL lends far more to the assumption that it's better to bet on the unknown than the likely known. As a rule of thumb teams just don't rid themselves of guys who are worth it and reclamation projects usually fail. It's not whining or negative to react to these things skeptically because the evidence and history say it won't work out. Blind optimism is a wonderful quality to have but not when it comes to throwing away assets on hope. Teams like the Jets can't afford to be reckless. Every single piece of capital matters, draft picks especially. If you're looking for reasons why this franchise can't ever find it's footing, it's the little things like this. Wasted mid-rounders on top of misappropriated early rounders. It's no wonder they haven't made the playoffs in a decade.

You had me.  

then I thought of Henry Anderson for a 7th, he’s an outlier but that’s what your trying to find in these low round trades

I just looked at the 5th round picks in 2018- ie the round we traded away for Robinson. It's still very early and I won't pretend to know all the picks contributions/status but nothing jumps out as a big miss

8 minutes ago, David Harris said:

You had me.  

then I thought of Henry Anderson for a 7th, he’s an outlier but that’s what your trying to find in these low round trades

I just looked at the 5th round picks in 2018- ie the round we traded away for Robinson. It's still very early and I won't pretend to know all the picks contributions/status but nothing jumps out as a big miss

There’s always anecdotal stuff. Good franchises play the aggregate. 

• Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, Lith said:

Bump.

Agreed. He had a ton of upside plus the height to deal with today's 6'4" WR's. Not a good sign, for him, that he's getting cut now.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Already admitted I was wrong, dude.  Now you are just rubbing it in.  And I am not a blind optimist.  Not even close.

I do agree with most of what you are saying.  Being skeptical or reacting negatively does not make one a bad fan.  Unfortuantely, over the last 8 years, there have been more bad moves than not or we would not be sitting here with an 8 year playoff drought.  The only team in the NFL coming off with 3 straight double digit losing seasons.  What some don't seem to get is that it is okay to react negatively to a move you don't like, even if it is made by a team you love.

What drives me crazy are both extremes:  those who react negatively to anything and everything; and the Panglossian blind optimists who always think all is for the best and the Jets are living in the best of all worlds.

22 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Probably safe to say they showed up useless?

Yeah, they were essentially purchased after their expiration date to begin with.

But, put me in the camp of being okay with these kinds of moves, even if they ultimately do not work out.  Robinson was a swing and a miss....that happens when you trade for a guy with risks but who has a chance to significantly help the team.  We've won on some of these as well.  Brandon Marshall (at least for a few years) and Henry Anderson come to mind.  Anderson is looking like one of Macc's best moves as he's a legit starter and earned a $25M contract (we traded a 7th round pick for him).  I think Kelechi Osemele will hopefully turn out similar to Anderson.  The Jets essentially traded down from Round 5 to Round 6 this year for a starting OG who looks like he could be a leader on this offense.

Robinson was a clear miss, but again, no problem using non-premium resources to address critical positions on the field where the Jets need some help.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Already admitted I was wrong, dude.  Now you are just rubbing it in.  And I am not a blind optimist.  Not even close.

I do agree with most of what you are saying.  Being skeptical or reacting negatively does not make one a bad fan.  Unfortuantely, over the last 8 years, there have been more bad moves than not or we would not be sitting here with an 8 year playoff drought.  The only team in the NFL coming off with 3 straight double digit losing seasons.  What some don't seem to get is that it is okay to react negatively to a move you don't like, even if it is made by a team you love.

What drives me crazy are both extremes:  those who react negatively to anything and everything; and the Panglossian blind optimists who always think all is for the best and the Jets are living in the best of all worlds.

? I honestly think all Jet fans believe in Nihilism.

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Yeah, they were essentially purchased after their expiration date to begin with.

But, put me in the camp of being okay with these kinds of moves, even if they ultimately do not work out.  Robinson was a swing and a miss....that happens when you trade for a guy with risks but who has a chance to significantly help the team.  We've won on some of these as well.  Brandon Marshall (at least for a few years) and Henry Anderson come to mind.  Anderson is looking like one of Macc's best moves as he's a legit starter and earned a $25M contract (we traded a 7th round pick for him).  I think Kelechi Osemele will hopefully turn out similar to Anderson.  The Jets essentially traded down from Round 5 to Round 6 this year for a starting OG who looks like he could be a leader on this offense.

Robinson was a clear miss, but again, no problem using non-premium resources to address critical positions on the field where the Jets need some help.

To prove the point, look at the terrible reaction to this years 5th rd pick Cashman.

• Sympathy 1