No matter how you slice it, we're screwed at #6 this year.

Paradis

2 hours ago, JiF said:

I said almost... ;-)

Oh cmon now! I can't argue with your logic at all.... but we both know that if we don't land cousins, that he'll have to draft a QB. Even if he didn't want to, the Johnsons and would push that agenda through. Whether he lands the right one is a different discussion, but we're not NOT getting a QB this spring.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Oh cmon now! I can't argue with your logic at all.... but we both know that if we don't land cousins, that he'll have to draft a QB. Even if he didn't want to, the Johnsons and would push that agenda through. Whether he lands the right one is a different discussion, but we're not NOT getting a QB this spring.

It depends on who's there, I guess...but the way I see it; Rosen and Daronld will be gone and the Jets arent taking Allen, Mayfield or Jackson.  They'll go BAP which will be defense and then they'll take a QB in the 2-4 rounds and bring in another sh*tty vet to "bridge the gap".  

3 hours ago, JiF said:

It depends on who's there, I guess...but the way I see it; Rosen and Daronld will be gone and the Jets arent taking Allen, Mayfield or Jackson.  They'll go BAP which will be defense and then they'll take a QB in the 2-4 rounds and bring in another sh*tty vet to "bridge the gap".  

Jif mark it down....i'm going all in, no maybes here! They will draft one of those 5 if Cousins is not signed. Defense no more. It's happening.  Maybe we'll be arguing why they took Allen but it'll be about a QB and not any other position. 

8 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Jif mark it down....i'm going all in, no maybes here! They will draft one of those 5 if Cousins is not signed. Defense no more. It's happening.  Maybe we'll be arguing why they took Allen but it'll be about a QB and not any other position. 

I'm not ready to go all in on anything yet...lots of time between today and the draft but if they dont get Cousins, I see it going this way as of today.  Subject to change, of course. 

58 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

the problem becomes, if they don't get darnold/rosen or even mayfield, i can't see the other qbs like jackson, allen or even rudolph beginning the season as the starter.  i also can't see them wanting to rely on mccown even to start the year.  so after they swing and predictably whiff on cousins, they'll scramble to find someone like mccown, but not mccown - someone who will play ok to keep the rookie on the bench too long

14 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

Actually no, he doesn't need to.  If you read up on Rosen and his personal life, he's definitely one of these guys who clearly takes the attitude that football is not the peak of what he wants to accomplish in his life.  He could very well decide after 4 years of sitting on the bench (regardless of the whole concussion issue) that he'd rather dedicate his priorities to something else in life.

Cool I remember the jets passing on Marino because he was rumored to be a cokehead off the field

On 1/30/2018 at 12:53 PM, Paradis said:

What a colossal bust. Jets managed to make life impossible for themselves. 

Look at this--

1. QB scenario; Jets are out of the mix for Darnold/Rosen, and probably Mayfield unless we trade up. 
  2. If we sign Cousins; Best players available are TWO safeties... are you fcking kidding me? 
  3. Alternatives are a OG, and a RB... both are not great ways to maximize your value there.

Imagine a scenario where we sign Cousins and the draft goes like this:

1. CLE - Mayfield
  2. NYG - Darnold
  3. IND - Chubb
  4. CLE - Barkley
  5. DEN - Fitzpatrick

What the hell do you do there?... it's not that crazy. 

People don't seem to get that it doesn't matter where you draft a guy who becomes a star/all-pro or pro bowl caliber talent. Would we have lost our collective minds if we passed on Adams and took Tredavious White, Alivin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, etc.? Yes, but we wouldn't have been any worse off, and arguably better off. There will be plenty of players available at 6 that will become all-star caliber players. Also, position shouldn't matter, we look pretty good at WR, especially if you sign a guy like Landry or Robinson, but if you draft your Julio Jones at 6 do you care that you had a deep group when you drafted him? I used to be obsessed with these top guys dropping to us and trust me I'd be elated if we got a top 4 QB, Chubb, Barkley, or Fitz. But I'm no scout and while these names look sexy on paper they don't always pan out. What I'm taking from your post is you don't trust Mac to find that talent, and if that's the case were screwed at 6 and every other pick in the draft. 

44 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

People don't seem to get that it doesn't matter where you draft a guy who becomes a star/all-pro or pro bowl caliber talent. Would we have lost our collective minds if we passed on Adams and took Tredavious White, Alivin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, etc.? Yes, but we wouldn't have been any worse off, and arguably better off. There will be plenty of players available at 6 that will become all-star caliber players. Also, position shouldn't matter, we look pretty good at WR, especially if you sign a guy like Landry or Robinson, but if you draft your Julio Jones at 6 do you care that you had a deep group when you drafted him? I used to be obsessed with these top guys dropping to us and trust me I'd be elated if we got a top 4 QB, Chubb, Barkley, or Fitz. But I'm no scout and while these names look sexy on paper they don't always pan out. What I'm taking from your post is you don't trust Mac to find that talent, and if that's the case were screwed at 6 and every other pick in the draft. 

Interesting post. 

Agreed. 3 years from now, no one will care if a team at #10 reached up for a player that could have been available at #20, or even #30. By August, all that matters is production. To your point, if we took Nelson at #6, not one will care next year that we took him that high.

...On the other hand, that doesn't mean it's a smart move. The drop off in talent/production and chances of hitting a homerun on a draft changes the further you go down the draft. It's not that Guards or Backs can't be great or worth the investment - its the drop off that comes at other position is significant. ....the same cliff is dramatically smaller at some positions, like RB and OG. 

So while I agree with you, that doesn't mean there's no merit in adjusting the value of pick/position. 

Ps. Macc can't draft. 

On 1/30/2018 at 2:43 PM, BrickTamland said:

I think wed have to keep cousins and trade rosen because of accelerated cap hit from kirk’s megadeal.

the real tragedy will be when we dont get cousins and the draft’s first 5 players are (in some order)

Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Chubb, Barkley

I guarantee Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield go in the first 4 picks. Cleveland at 4 or Indy will trade their pick. Either trade up and grab one of those 3 or trade back and get xtra picks. Take best available OL, Nelson or McGliney? It’s from ND and take Lauletta with your first 2nd round pick. 

On 2/5/2018 at 1:59 PM, Paradis said:

Interesting post. 

Agreed. 3 years from now, no one will care if a team at #10 reached up for a player that could have been available at #20, or even #30. By August, all that matters is production. To your point, if we took Nelson at #6, not one will care next year that we took him that high.

...On the other hand, that doesn't mean it's a smart move. The drop off in talent/production and chances of hitting a homerun on a draft changes the further you go down the draft. It's not that Guards or Backs can't be great or worth the investment - its the drop off that comes at other position is significant. ....the same cliff is dramatically smaller at some positions, like RB and OG. 

So while I agree with you, that doesn't mean there's no merit in adjusting the value of pick/position. 

Ps. Macc can't draft. 

Ps we need more Safeties 

On 2/5/2018 at 2:59 PM, Paradis said:

Interesting post. 

Ps. Macc can't draft. 

I agree, all of those things are factors when picking players, and there is merit in adjusting value based on pick/position. Just saying at 6 you're not per se screwed because some combination of Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Barkley, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Mayfield aren't available. I think we're probably screwed b/c Macc can't draft, not because we won a few meaningless games. 

You take an offensive linemen (and) or trade down... I would applaud that for days.

The Jets need 2 or more pieces on that line if they ever want to be successful. Look at the Eagles. Their line carried them to a superbowl win. They made Nick Foles look like an MVP. 

So if your simulation there plays out and they take Nelson, or maybe move a few spots down and take Orlando Brown or Mike McGlinchey or even Billy Price, I will be very happy. 

Archived