No matter how you slice it, we're screwed at #6 this year.

Paradis

What a colossal bust. Jets managed to make life impossible for themselves. 

Look at this--

1. QB scenario; Jets are out of the mix for Darnold/Rosen, and probably Mayfield unless we trade up. 
  2. If we sign Cousins; Best players available are TWO safeties... are you fcking kidding me? 
  3. Alternatives are a OG, and a RB... both are not great ways to maximize your value there.

Imagine a scenario where we sign Cousins and the draft goes like this:

1. CLE - Mayfield
  2. NYG - Darnold
  3. IND - Chubb
  4. CLE - Barkley
  5. DEN - Fitzpatrick

What the hell do you do there?... it's not that crazy. 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nelson, provided that we land Cousins.

Decision seems pretty easy to me. 

I don’t see it as some big waste of resources either. The top interior DL in the league these days are making $16-18 million a year and the top OG’s who block those guys are making $12-14 million a year. Hell, DeCastro made $18 million in 2016.

Like I said before, if Nelson turns out to be an 8x all-pro and is the anchor of our OL for the next decade...no one is going to care where we drafted him.

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

What a colossal bust. Jets managed to make life impossible for themselves. 

Look at this--

1. QB scenario; Jets are out of the mix for Darnold/Rosen, and probably Mayfield unless we trade up. 
  2. If we sign Cousins; Best players available are TWO safeties... are you fcking kidding me? 
  3. Alternatives are a OG, and a RB... both are not great ways to maximize your value there.

Imagine a scenario where we sign Cousins and the draft goes like this:

1. CLE - Mayfield
  2. NYG - Darnold
  3. IND - Chubb
  4. CLE - Barkley
  5. DEN - Fitzpatrick

What the hell do you do there?... it's not that crazy. 

Trade down to a QB needy team or take the best OL

In general.....I agree....the Jets made life miserable for themselves, but at least we can hang a banner for those hard fought victories against Jax and Clev.

But, with Allen starting to show some promise, we may be in a better position then we think, espcially if there are 4 QBs worthy of top ten picks this year.

But yeah...life would be so much easier if we stuck with the plan to Suck for Sam and finished the year 2-14

47 minutes ago, KRL said:

That's a dream scenario, you auction off the pick to the highest bidder because

Rosen is still on the board

Exactly.  WAS, ARI and BUF to name a few should be all over this opportunity to trade up.  I'd be surprised if DEN took Fitzpatrick rather than trade down but going from 6 to 13 or 15 should net a good haul.  You could parlay this into one of the OTs and maybe move up to grab Price later in the 1st as well.  

1 hour ago, KRL said:

That's a dream scenario, you auction off the pick to the highest bidder because

Rosen is still on the board

I agree - but someone has to come calling. 

Well Paradis, there's WSH, BUF etc who would be thrilled to move up for Rosen etc...

True, but keep in mind these are the next 4 teams to pick

• TB
  • CHI
  • SF
  • OAK  

Ain't no QB getting picked in those slots. If I'm WSH -- what's the incentive to trade up to #6?... I mean, probably not going to push their luck waiting till OAK, but probably like the $$ of trading up with SF or CHI much more than NYJ

Be honest there.  

13 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

• Draft Rosen. Someone will be forced into trading for him a la Eli Manning. Or else we have him as no.2 heir apparent.

This! Draft Rosen and depending on how he develops in preseason you trade Cousins to a team that either gets 1. an injury to QB or 2. Suck it up and trade Cousins later. This would actually be a dream scenario for this franchise... 40 years with no QB and in 2 months you have the best passing QB from college fall into your lap after you just signed the "higher end FA QB". - and we have the $$$ to do it so its not like it puts us in any financial crisis.

You take the kid, and slow play the Cousins trade for MAX Value. Plus Rosen having Cousins around at all won't hurt 

11 minutes ago, Stark said:

This! Draft Rosen and depending on how he develops in preseason you trade Cousins to a team that either gets 1. and injury to QB or 2. Suck it up and trade Cousins later. This would actually be a dream scenario for this franchise... 40 years with no QB and in 2 months you have the best passing QB from college fall into your lap after you just signed the "higher end FA QB". - and we have the $$$ to do it so its not like it puts us in any financial crisis.

You take the kid, and slow play the Cousins trade for MAX Value. Plus Rosen having Cousins around at all won't hurt 

This isn’t feasible at all

If you sign Cousins, you’re giving him a $140+ million contract with $70+ million guaranteed and committing to him as your starter for at least the next 3 years.

The Jets aren’t having anything to do with drafting a QB before Round 3 at the earliest if they sign Cousins. And even that’s a longshot.

9 minutes ago, Stark said:

This! Draft Rosen and depending on how he develops in preseason you trade Cousins to a team that either gets 1. an injury to QB or 2. Suck it up and trade Cousins later. This would actually be a dream scenario for this franchise... 40 years with no QB and in 2 months you have the best passing QB from college fall into your lap after you just signed the "higher end FA QB". - and we have the $$$ to do it so its not like it puts us in any financial crisis.

I think wed have to keep cousins and trade rosen because of accelerated cap hit from kirk’s megadeal.

the real tragedy will be when we dont get cousins and the draft’s first 5 players are (in some order)

Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Chubb, Barkley

Just now, BrickTamland said:

I think wed have to keep cousins and trade rosen because of accelerated cap hit from kirk’s megadeal.

the real tragedy will be when we dont get cousins and the draft’s first 5 players are (in some order)

Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Chubb, Barkley

In that case, you gamble on Allen and don’t look back.

4 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

This isn’t feasible at all

If you sign Cousins, you’re giving him a $140+ million contract with $70+ million guaranteed and committing to him as your starter for at least the next 3 years.

The Jets aren’t having anything to do with drafting a QB before Round 3 at the earliest if they sign Cousins. And even that’s a longshot.

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

In that case, you gamble on Allen and don’t look back.

eh, while I would agree it would be unlikely, if you can't trade the pick during the draft you can trade a QB later for more down the road. IF MAC goes by the "BPA" then he takes Rosen here and works a trade out at a later point. 

I wouldn't touch Allen here.

If the jets like Chubbs and the 3 top QBs (whoever they are in Mac's eyes), I would strongly consider moving to the 3 slot ahead of a bidding war.   Even if you get Cousins, you can get Chubbs (another need and premium position) or trade back and recoup pics with a potential bidding war at draft time.

19 minutes ago, cant wait said:

yeah a cousins signing would change everything, but keep in mind the combine is still a month away and you know some pass rushers are going to climb up the boards

yea thats true. This thread is exploring that with or without Cousins (which i'm not crazy about) our situation at #6 isn't envious either way. 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I agree - but someone has to come calling. 

Well Paradis, there's WSH, BUF etc who would be thrilled to move up for Rosen etc...

True, but keep in mind these are the next 4 teams to pick

• TB
  • CHI
  • SF
  • OAK  

Ain't no QB getting picked in those slots. If I'm WSH -- what's the incentive to trade up to #6?... I mean, probably not going to push their luck waiting till OAK, but probably like the $$ of trading up with SF or CHI much more than NYJ

Be honest there.  

Not sure but if Washington, Arizona, Buffalo don't think we take a Q at 6 there could be a little anxiety on those teams to move up because they don't know what the other 2 teams in this situation will do. If your are either of those 3 teams and you need a QB you would want to make sure you got ahead of the other 2, unless Rosen's draft stock takes a hit, he shouldn't be there at 6. So there would be some chance that it could happen. Why not move to 6 to get Rosen, when waiting could mean that one of the other teams does. ... ... 

The real ? is what could we get for the 6th pick with Rosen on the board from:

Washington - 1st (13th)and 2nd (12th -44 overall) this year or 1st this year and 1st next? 

Zona - 1st (15th) this year and 1st next? or 1st (15th) and 2nd (15th 47overall) this year plus 1st next?

Buffalo - 1st rds. (21st and 22nd) pick + 4th Rd at minimum?

not sure on values but something along these lines, maybe?!?

7 minutes ago, Stark said:

Not sure but if Washington, Arizona, Buffalo don't think we take a Q at 6 there could be a little anxiety on those teams to move up because they don't know what the other 2 teams in this situation will do. If your are either of those 3 teams and you need a QB you would want to make sure you got ahead of the other 2, unless Rosen's draft stock takes a hit, he shouldn't be there at 6. So there would be some chance that it could happen. Why not move to 6 to get Rosen, when waiting could mean that one of the other teams does. ... ... 

Washington - 1st (13th)and 2nd (12th -44 overall) this year or 1st this year and 1st next? 

Zona - 1st (15th) this year and 1st next? or 1st (15th) and 2nd (15th 47overall) this year plus 1st next?

This right here.  Doesn't matter that the next 4 teams won't be looking for QBs....the three that are will do anything necessary to get ahead of each other.

That means pick 6 is absolutely in play and there could be a good bidding war for it...and Buffalo, in our division, better be ready to pay a steep steep premium, starting with both 1st this year and next year's 1st.

27 minutes ago, Stark said:

16 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

This right here.  Doesn't matter that the next 4 teams won't be looking for QBs....the three that are will do anything necessary to get ahead of each other.

That means pick 6 is absolutely in play and there could be a good bidding war for it...and Buffalo, in our division, better be ready to pay a steep steep premium, starting with both 1st this year and next year's 1st.

I understand, but by that measure, they'd move ahead of us and start calling at #3... I don't think there's anything that separates the NEW YORK JETS from anywhere between #3 IND, and #10 OAK.

In other words, there's nothing special about our spot. Teams are just as likely to trade up to #4, as they are #7 with TB

I think assuming we'll be the beneficiary of this glorious offer for a QB at #6 is wishful thinking. Possible, but far from guaranteed. 

15 hours ago, Paradis said:

I understand, but by that measure, they'd move ahead of us and start calling at #3... I don't think there's anything that separates the NEW YORK JETS from anywhere between #3 IND, and #10 OAK.

In other words, there's nothing special about our spot. Teams are just as likely to trade up to #4, as they are #7 with TB

I think assuming we'll be the beneficiary of this glorious offer for a QB at #6 is wishful thinking. Possible, but far from guaranteed. 

I see your point, but you laid out a specific draft and then asked the question so i was only referring to your original post and scenario. 

I am with you on the any team could call any of the top teams, why just JETS at 6, but like I said I only was commenting on the original scenario in the first post.

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Him playing well at the senior bowl doesn’t change your mind at all?

Depends on which half of football you watched. There was equal parts good and bad... which is pretty much bang on with the assessment on Allen. 

Guess his new team can always pray that he'll just be defacto-good for 3-4 games in january. Cause praying usually works. 

Archived