To those that don't think Cousins is that good

JoJoTownsell1

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Yes, @Dcat the burden is on you to disprove his unproven and already disproven claim!

Edit: I am arguing that Cousins is going to cost us somewhere near 1/3 of the money we have available to spend this off-season.

If I am wrong, please . . . enlighten me. 

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The cap is $178 mil.  Cousins’ salary will be between $29-34 mil.  <1/3

The Jets have will have close to 100 million dollars to spend. 

That's what I am referring to. 

So, I suppose I shouldn't write "salary cap," I should write "cap money available to spend this off-season."

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I get what you are saying but McCown physically could never sustain playing at that level he didn’t even last this past season.  Plus the team overall was really bad we would have gone 0-16 if it wasn’t for McCown playing so well.  With $100 million in cap room even a Macagnan-hater like me has to think he will still improve the roster

When you have 3rd to last in NFL adjusted sack rate, I’m surprised he did it get hurt sooner. That is a big thing for a free agent qb. He wants to know he is going to have the protection, a coach who will invest or “pass protectors “ over “ run blockers “ and of course over D ha. Again if Mac says to Bowles “ your done we don’t want to hear what 10 more D players you want “ and instead actually invest around the qb, then it’s a good move to sign cousins. They need to convince him they are prepared to make that a priority before he signs.

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The Jets have will have close to 100 million dollars to spend. 

That's what I am referring to. 

So, I suppose I shouldn't write "salary cap," I should "cap money available to spend this off-season."

Ok, so we’d still have $70 million left to sign players and draft picks.  A 5 year old girl could improve a roster with all that cap space

Just now, Philc1 said:

Ok, so we’d still have $70 million left to sign players and draft picks.  A 5 year old girl could improve a roster with all that cap space

It's still a huge chunk of our spending money. If we give him 30 million a year, he better be really ******* good here. I'll put it that way. 

4 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

When you have 3rd to last in NFL adjusted sack rate, I’m surprised he did it get hurt sooner. That is a big thing for a free agent qb. He wants to know he is going to have the protection, a coach who will invest or “pass protectors “ over “ run blockers “ and of course over D ha. Again if Mac says to Bowles “ your done we don’t want to hear what 10 more D players you want “ and instead actually invest around the qb, then it’s a good move to sign cousins. They need to convince him they are prepared to make that a priority before he signs.

So sign Nate Solder and draft a couple offensive linemen

Plus signing a very good slot WR like Landry will help because he can catch all those quick passes to the flats and drags.  That’s how Brady stayed healthy 

4 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

This is true. Not even mid B tier qbs like cousins normal hit the open market. Which is why he and his agent will look to take advantage of teams wanting him. We have the cap now, but how about in 3 years when we have all these young former 1st round D stars looking to cash in? Will get tighter. I’m not against cousins coming. I just feel Jets will have to grossly over pay to get him here. Instead of drafting a top rookie and controlling pretty much his salary forever. 

Who are all these former 1st round stars looking to cash in in 3 years? At one point Richardson was DROY and we figured we would have to pay him...we know how that turns out. Not sure if D. Lee gets a second contract here. Plus that is why you front-load the contract, take advantage of the cap room this year so that later years leave flexibility for other positions. Not hard to do. 

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It's still a huge chunk of our spending money. If we give him 30 million a year, he better be really ******* good here. I'll put it that way. 

I’m done with Macagnan drafting crap qbs and please no Bridgewater he wasn’t good before his leg almost fell off

20 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

So sign Nate Solder and draft a couple offensive linemen

Plus signing a very good slot WR like Landry will help because he can catch all those quick passes to the flats and drags.  That’s how Brady stayed healthy 

Ofcourse we need a receiver overhaul as well. I think slot receiver is not as big as a need. Hansen can work his way into that roll.

Everything on offense needs help. We have a #2 receiver ( if he is still here and not suspended or in jail ) and 3rd receiver. We need that #1, and A TE.  Rb Who can catch, and run. If we are going to get cousins, we would be stupid to not put most of attention in draft and FA on O. 80/20 O/D this yr and next to balance the gross neglect of O by Mac the past 2 years. Todd Bowles won’t be happy about it ha. 

37 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Edit: I am arguing that Cousins is going to cost us somewhere near 1/3 of the money we have available to spend this off-season.

Ah, I get it. Secretly it was the equally powerful “the Jets will struggle to get talent with only $60+ million left to spend” angle the whole time....He was leading the horse to water the whole time amirite, @HessStation?! ;):)

16 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Ah, I get it. Secretly it was the equally powerful “the Jets will struggle to get talent with only $60+ million left to spend” angle the whole time....He was leading the horse to water the whole time amirite, @HessStation?! ;):)

While your silly, snarky comments are often amusing, they rarely further the discussion in any meaningful or helpful way. 

I'm not suggesting that 60-70 million dollars, if spent wisely, isn't enough to drastically improve the team. I'm just pointing out that 30 million dollars constitutes a substantial portion of our allotted money this off-season, and spending it on a QB who is probably just inside the top 1/3 of QBs in the league is a debatable proposition. 

You can continue to act like a dismissive, arrogant know-it-all, but the reality is that spending 100 million dollars to improve the 21 other positions on offense/defense, coupled with drafting a QB in the first round, is a viable alternative to making Kirk Cousins the highest paid player in the league. 

32 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

I’m done with Macagnan drafting crap qbs and please no Bridgewater he wasn’t good before his leg almost fell off

I get that Mac has drafted two bad QBs, but those were in the 4th and 2nd rounds, respectively. 

Having a top 6 pick in an (arguably) deep QB draft is a different ballgame. 

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I get that Mac has drafted two bad QBs, but those were in the 4th and 2nd rounds, respectively. 

Having a top 6 pick in an (arguably) deep QB draft is a different ballgame. 

I'm more concerned with Bowles ability to develop a QB. I know Bates and the QB coach would be more involved in his development, but you know Bowles will be taking knees with 40 seconds left in the half instead of letting his young QB learn on the fly. 

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm more concerned with Bowles ability to develop a QB. I know Bates and the QB coach would be more involved in his development, but you know Bowles will be taking knees with 40 seconds left in the half instead of letting his young QB learn on the fly. 

Lol. I mean, I get it. But, if you think you can draft a really good young QB, and you are a franchise that hasn't had one in forever, you do it. I don't care who your head coach is. Bowles is a quick fix*

*Replace

20 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Nice deflection, but this doesn't address my point, now does it?

What was your point? Probably a half dozen people answered your 1/3 nonsense, 5 pages and multiple replies later it’s something new, now the latest and greatest is that all that was secretly secrely leading somewhere using #discussionfurthering.

The post-Cousins Jets could have nearly the same amount of cap space as the pre-Cousins Jets would have without making any of the expected cuts (Wilkerson, Forte).

9 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

What was your point? Probably a half dozen people answered your 1/3 nonsense, 5 pages and multiple replies later it’s something new, now the latest and greatest is that all that was secretly secrely leading somewhere using #discussionfurthering.

The post-Cousins Jets could have nearly the same amount of cap space as the pre-Cousins Jets would have without making any of the expected cuts. 

My point is still the following:

You can continue to act like a dismissive, arrogant know-it-all, but the reality is that spending 100 million dollars to improve the 21 other positions on offense/defense, coupled with drafting a QB in the first round, is a viable alternative to making Kirk Cousins the highest paid player in the league. 

Unfortunately, your irrelevant deflections aside, you still haven't addressed or acknowledged this basic reality. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

My point is still the following

By “still” you mean something two posts old cooked up after five pages of saying other things. The Jets neither getting 21 good players for $100 million and one draft nor is that necessary. Nonsense on top of nonsense...

26 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

By “still” you mean something two posts old cooked up after five pages of saying other things. 

What are you even babbling about? The post you are referring to was a response to one of your posts in a discussion (i.e. a fluid exchange of points, counterpoints, and ideas relevant to the discussion at hand)Yes, new statements tend to arise that are related to, but contextually different from, preceding topics. 

So, yeah, in two responses so far, you still haven't addressed or acknowledged the following:

27 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

The Jets neither getting 21 good players for $100 million and one draft nor is that necessary. Nonsense on top of nonsense...

So, you read "spending 100 million dollars to improve the other 21 positions on offense/defense, coupled with drafting a QB in the first round," as "getting 21 good players for $100 million and one draft." Impressive. 

You do realize that intellectual dishonesty is something that other people can detect . . . right?

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

You do realize that intellectual dishonesty is something that other people can detect . . . right?

11 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I think most of us just don't think he's worthy of being made the highest paid player in the league, and more importantly, don't think he's worth allocating a third (ish?) of our salary cap for. 

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

CasuaLol

9 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Rewind to:

Again, nice deflection, but I responded to the very first person who questioned me on what I wrote about the cap by writing:

"I wrote "1/3 (ish?)." And, to be clear, I was referring to the (approximately) 100 million dollars the team has available to spend this off-season. 

(Btw, he is easily going to do better than 4 years, 100 million. So, start there."

I made it abundantly clear that I was referring to how much money we had available to spend.

To be clear, this deflection isn't very clever and doesn't go anywhere . . . 

7 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

CasuaLol

Clarifying what you are stating is . . . Good . . . Right?

You can continue the intellectually dishonest charade, but once more:

I responded to the very first person who questioned me on what I wrote about the cap by writing:

"I wrote "1/3 (ish?)." And, to be clear, I was referring to the (approximately) 100 million dollars the team has available to spend this off-season. 

(Btw, he is easily going to do better than 4 years, 100 million. So, start there."

I made it abundantly clear that I was referring to how much money we had available to spend.

Again, this deflection isn't very clever and doesn't go anywhere . . . 

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I responded to the very first person who questioned me on what I wrote about the cap by writing:

The first person you responded to the 1/3 directly about was me...Here is that post:

11 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Unless 1/3 is a substantially inaccurate estimate of how much of our salary cap this year would have to go to Cousins, then I'm not sure what the point of this post was. 

Rotfl 

16 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

The first person you responded to the 1/3 directly about was me...Here is that post:

Rotfl 

Right, and as soon as I realized what people were questioning, I immediately clarified that I was referring to the amount of cap money that we had available to spend. Btw, in hindsight, this is obviously what I was referring to, because the 30(ish) million dollar contract that most people seem to think Cousins will get is very close to 1/3 of the (approximately) 100 million dollars that we will have available at our disposal. 

Again, you can continue to hide behind this intellectually dishonest deflection, but it does nothing to change the fact that you still haven't adequately acknowledged or addressed this basic point:

Archived