To those that don't think Cousins is that good

JoJoTownsell1

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I think most of us just don't think he's worthy of being made the highest paid player in the league, and more importantly, don't think he's worth allocating a third (ish?) of our salary cap for. 

I don't think there are many people who would sincerely deny the fact that he is a good QB. Of course, there is a lot of debate about how good he is.

He wouldn't cost 1/3 of any year's salary cap. Even with $100 million guaranteed over 4 years, he wouldn't eat a third of the team's salary cap in any of the 4 years.   Never.  Where are you getting your math?  It's wrong.  You need to recalculate.   As for highest paid player in the league?  Meh.  That lasts how long?  Until the next big QB contract?  Big deal.  Flacco was the highest paid when Baltimore gave him that contract.  So what?  That didn't last long.  Recently, Stafford was the highest paid.  He and Cousins are close in talent, in fact, I think Cousins is better.  Highest paid player depends more on position (QB) and almost entirely on timing of the contract.  It's a completely irrelevant point and shouldn't be used to argue against Cousins because he won't be the highest paid after the next big contract comes.  

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Unless 1/3 is a substantially inaccurate estimate of how much of our salary cap this year would have to go to Cousins, then I'm not sure what the point of this post was. 

"substantially inaccurate"

bingo!

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Cousins simply isn't worth being paid as a top 5 QB because he just isn't one.period.

If he were, then why would the Redskins then let such a hard to get franchise QB walk? 

Was Flacco top 5 when Ozzie made him the highest paid?

Was Stafford top 5 when Detroit did the same?

Come on.  This year's expensive QB contracts will look average in 2 years and cheap in 3-4 years.  It's cyclical.  All that matters is that the team have the cap space and resources to build around him.  Everything else is irrelevant.  All these salary comparisons among players who signed their deals years ago vs currently are pointless.  Apples to oranges.  You have to compare this year's QB contracts only with this years.  Cousins will get more than Smith.  End of story.

55 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So after last season when he threw for 4900 yards you had him ranked like 22nd?

Lets see. Better QBs:

Brady 

Brees

Rape-a-burger

Wilson

Rodgers

Newton

Wentz

Rivers

Stafford (close he is another compiler)

Carr (also close think this year is an aberration)

Ryan

Goff

Smith (he sucks too but is more clutch than Cousins)

Luck (if he comes back)

So midrange at best and its not a steady scale, it is tiered so someone in the middle tier is not even close to the tiers above him.

Cousins is GOOD. But that's all. Another way of saying that is that he is NOT BAD. That is not good enough for Top QB money, and if you think Cousins will flourish under Todd We Don't Run Enough Toilet Bowls, well I think you are set up for devastation. Hopefully 5 weeks from now he is somewhere else.

20 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Top 10 QBs win. Cousins does not. Simple as that. He is terrible against good teams, and chokes when it matters. He is a younger, slightly better McClown. He will fail spectacularly here.

just ignore the crap they surrounded him with.  And the annual Redskin mediocre defense.

16 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Lets see. Better QBs:

Brady 

Brees

Rape-a-burger

Wilson

Rodgers

Newton

Wentz

Rivers

Stafford (close he is another compiler)

Carr (also close think this year is an aberration)

Ryan

Goff

Smith (he sucks too but is more clutch than Cousins)

Luck (if he comes back)

So midrange at best and its not a steady scale, it is tiered so someone in the middle tier is not even close to the tiers above him.

Cousins is GOOD. But that's all. Another way of saying that is that he is NOT BAD. That is not good enough for Top QB money, and if you think Cousins will flourish under Todd We Don't Run Enough Toilet Bowls, well I think you are set up for devastation. Hopefully 5 weeks from now he is somewhere else.

Combined zero playoff wins

The Rivers and Alex Smith are a combine 6-10 with 5 losses apiece. Throw in the bolded group and the record is 6-14 and multiple guys with no appearances.

Winners!

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

just ignore the crap they surrounded him with.  And the annual Redskin mediocre defense.

See but that argument falls apart when you look at what happened in SF, or how ordinary the entire GB team looked after Rodgers left, or had Houston was awful without Watson. Great QBs, ie the ones deserving of Top QB money elevate their entire team

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

See but that argument falls apart when you look at what happened in SF, or how ordinary the entire GB team looked after Rodgers left, or had Houston was awful without Watson. Great QBs, ie the ones deserving of Top QB money elevate their entire team

The 5-11 49ers about to pony up $120+ and a high second for a guy with 7 starts? The twists and turns continue on what winning even is lol!

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

The 5-11 49ers about to pony up $120+ and a high second for a guy with 7 starts? The twists and turns continue on what winning even is lol!

There is a TON of risk in giving him that money, but I would far rather give it to Jimmy than Cousins. The upside is WAY higher. Cousins is what he is and he actually will be less than he is if he comes here.

28 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

There is a TON of risk in giving him that money, but I would far rather give it to Jimmy than Cousins. The upside is WAY higher. Cousins is what he is and he actually will be less than he is if he comes here.

There’s that card again, always played to cover a massive gap between certainty of performance and/or performamce and perceived ceiling. Right now Jimmy G would be glad to match any of Cousins’ starter seasons, sh*t even log a half season’s worth of starts in the same season. 

BTW your ten winningest QBs in the league are 60-44 in the playoffs, 33-37 without Brady. Edit: Forgot Roethslisberger, too lazy

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

There’s that card again, always played to cover a massive gap between certainty of performance and/or performamce and perceived ceiling. Right now Jimmy G would be glad to match any of Cousins’ starter seasons, sh*t even log a half season’s worth of starts in the same season. 

BTW your ten winningest QBs in the league are 60-44 in the playoffs, 33-37 without Brady.

Seriously. You could make an argument that Jimmy already has a season better than Cousins. He went to one of the worst teams in football, won all 5 games, 3 against playoff teams throw for 1560 yards (around 4900 for a full season) and a 96 rating. Plus he has tools Cousins does not have. Garopollo is the far better QB to sign.

7 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Simple. Because they're at the end of their prime years and wanna win NOW. They don't got time to wait for a rookie QB. 

So you’re agreeing with the OP that dead skins can “win now” with Kirk. 

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Seriously. You could make an argument that Jimmy already has a season better than Cousins. He went to one of the worst teams in football, won all 5 games, 3 against playoff teams throw for 1560 yards (around 4900 for a full season) and a 96 rating. Plus he has tools Cousins does not have. Garopollo is the far better QB to sign.

This is America so you can say anything, **** yeah, but it would be a terrible and incorrect argument. Already off to a game changing start by him never actually playing a full season. 

What are “tools Cousins does not have?” Btw half your top ten QBs are a combined 0-4 in the playoffs. Winners!

7 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If Cousins isn't that good, why have von Miller and Patrick Peterson recently come out lobbying for their teams to get him?

I understand those people that don't want to use cap space or prefer to draft a kid but those of you that simply don't think he's that good seem to be at odds with some of the best defensive players in the league that should know better than any of us

because he's "good enough". Especially for a team like DEN.

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So after last season when he threw for 4900 yards you had him ranked like 22nd?

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

You guys can't argue that he threw for 4,093 yards and from the other side of your mouth argue he had no support.

Who caught those passes, ran all that YAC, and who did the blocking?

Just ignore the fact that maybe Redskins were 7-9 because Cousins is mediocre.

9 minutes ago, jetrider said:

You guys can't argue that he threw for 4,093 yards and from the other side of your mouth argue he had no support.

+1, these guys are really selling R. Kelley short. This is a real renaissance of logic and reason on top of math so far this offseason.

21 minutes ago, jetrider said:

What are you talking about?

He threw for 4900 yards in 2016 with Jackson, Reed and garcon.

This year he lost all those guys and still put up 4000 yards. 

The Redskins have to running game and a defense the gave up the 4th most points in the NFL. But yeah, it's cousins fault....

57 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

This is America so you can say anything, **** yeah, but it would be a terrible and incorrect argument. Already off to a game changing start by him never actually playing a full season. 

What are “tools Cousins does not have?” Btw half your top ten QBs are a combined 0-4 in the playoffs. Winners!

Wait a min. Are you saying you easily would want Kirk cousins over jimmy garapollo ? ?

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If we draft another bust at QB while Cousins is going to pro bowls, that saved cap space won't mean much. 

We have a chance to get a guy that's AT LEAST very good. He may be great in the right situation. You can't pass on that because he may get overpaid by a few bucks. Most QBs are overpaid. We have plenty of young players and high draft picks this year to offset the cousins contract.

Eh, I don't see him ever being a consistent pro-bowl/All-pro type guy (I know he's going this year as an alternate). I certainly could be wrong, of course. 

And I certainly don't see him ever being "great." It's worth noting here that I think the word "great" is drastically overused in NFL talk (and sports talk in general). I think there might something like 30 "great" players in the entire league. 

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

He wouldn't cost 1/3 of any year's salary cap. Even with $100 million guaranteed over 4 years, he wouldn't eat a third of the team's salary cap in any of the 4 years.  

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

"substantially inaccurate"

bingo!

I wrote "1/3 (ish?)." And, to be clear, I was referring to the (approximately) 100 million dollars the team has available to spend this off-season. 

If I am wrong, please . . . enlighten me. 

(Btw, he is easily going to do better than 4 years, 100 million. So, start there. 

Cousins is a good qb.  He’s not a young Peyton Manning like some postersmake him out to be.  Is he worth $140 million?  No but I’m tired of the Hackenbergs and Petty’s and Fitzpatricks and Mac will just screw it up left to his own devices drafting a qb at 6

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If we don’t sign Cousins we are getting stuck with a clown like Mayfield at 6.  F that

Worse. If we don't get cousins, we trade up to 3 giving Colts our two 2's or next year's 1st or whatever overpay you can imagine, just to draft Allen or Mayfield.  

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Cousins is a good qb.  He’s not a young Peyton Manning like some postersmake him out to be.  Is he worth $140 million?  No but I’m tired of the Hackenbergs and Petty’s and Fitzpatricks and Mac will just screw it up left to his own devices drafting a qb at 6

I actually feel bad for the guy. When he blows a game or just has a bad 1, these homers are going to be all over him? Or will they just blame the line and lack of talent that they never excused McCown for lol. This guy played on same level Josh McCown did this yr. stats were identical across the board. ( per game ). Wash had a better offense for him to work with also. Now of course I’m picking cousins over Josh McCown lol. Cousins has shown to be consistent, and he is 10 yrs younger. But the homers Who said McCown didn’t play well, are in a rude awakening if they expect cousins to deliver much better play. 

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Worse. If we don't get cousins, we trade up to 3 giving Colts our two 2's or next year's 1st or whatever overpay you can imagine, just to draft Allen or Mayfield.  

You really know so much more about the future than I do. Very impressive. 

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I actually feel bad for the guy. When he blows a game or just has a bad 1, these homers are going to be all over him? Or will they just blame the line and lack of talent that they never excused McCown for lol. This guy played on same level Josh McCown did this yr. stats were identical across the board. ( per game ). Wash had a better offense for him to work with also. Now of course I’m picking cousins over Josh McCown lol. Cousins has shown to be consistent, and he is 10 yrs younger. But the homers Who said McCown didn’t play well, are in a rude awakening if they expect cousins to deliver much better play. 

I get what you are saying but McCown physically could never sustain playing at that level he didn’t even last this past season.  Plus the team overall was really bad we would have gone 0-16 if it wasn’t for McCown playing so well.  With $100 million in cap room even a Macagnan-hater like me has to think he will still improve the roster

25 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I wrote "1/3 (ish?)."

You claim that I am way off.  Please Elaborate.

Enlighten me. 

8 hours ago, 20andOut said:

2018 cap expected to be $175M so paying Cousinns $25M would be 1/7 of cap.

Yes, @Dcat the burden is on you to disprove his unproven and already disproven claim! God you Cousisnites will climb to any heights to undermine the numbers and logic against him, another deceitful show.

Archived