To those that don't think Cousins is that good

JoJoTownsell1

If Cousins isn't that good, why have von Miller and Patrick Peterson recently come out lobbying for their teams to get him?

I understand those people that don't want to use cap space or prefer to draft a kid but those of you that simply don't think he's that good seem to be at odds with some of the best defensive players in the league that should know better than any of us

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If Cousins isn't that good, why have von Miller and Patrick Peterson recently come out lobbying for their teams to get him?

I understand those people that don't want to use cap space or prefer to draft a kid but those of you that simply don't think he's that good seem to be at odds with some of the best defensive players in the league that should know better than any of us

Simple. Because they're at the end of their prime years and wanna win NOW. They don't got time to wait for a rookie QB. 

I think most of us just don't think he's worthy of being made the highest paid player in the league, and more importantly, don't think he's worth allocating a third (ish?) of our salary cap for. 

I don't think there are many people who would sincerely deny the fact that he is a good QB. Of course, there is a lot of debate about how good he is.

I think we're in a better position than Denver & Arizona ... they're much more in a "win now" mode, with ageing talent, whereas we're not.

So if we don't get Cousins and draft a QB instead, we're still in a good place IMHO. Denver would need that rookie to start - and win - quick, as would Arizona.

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think most of us just don't think he's worthy of being made the highest paid player in the league, and more importantly, don't think he's worth allocating a third (ish?) of our salary cap for. 

I don't think there are many people who would sincerely deny the fact that he is a good QB. Of course, there is a lot of debate about how good he is.

He'll be the highest paid player in the league for about a season.   Then Rogers and Ryan will be.  Then Brees

Highest paid is just the most recent QB to sign a contract

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

2018 cap expected to be $175M so paying Cousinns $25M would be 1/7 of cap. A shi-load of money for sure but far from 1/3 of cap.  I think Cousins is the safest bet. He is in the top half of the league as starter over last three years. Especially when you take away the greybeards that can no longer be a part of anyones long term plans (Eli, Brees, Roth, even Rivers)  Add to that the fact that any draft pick, Darnold, Rosen, whoever is a total roll of the dice.

24 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

He is easily better than Paxton lynch and drew Stanton that’s why. Cousins is much better than those two. Cousins is nowhere near top qb in the league, but he is much better than a handful of teams have. He is definitely not the god some homers wish he will be if we got him.

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That's pretty much it. He is a good player. People just don't think he's worth Aaron Rodgers money. But fact is, Rodgers isn't even getting Rodgers money, because that's how this league works. And now Alex Smith is getting more then him. Doesn't make sense it's just supply and demand! 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Unless 1/3 is a substantially inaccurate estimate of how much of our salary cap this year would have to go to Cousins, then I'm not sure what the point of this post was. 

Oh you were dead on, even higher than 1/3 maybe depending on who is doing the JN Math and their mood that moment.

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He'll be the highest paid player in the league for about a season.   Then Rogers and Ryan will be.  Then Brees

Highest paid is just the most recent QB to sign a contract

I'm well aware, but this is exactly why I am not a big fan of getting a QB in free agency, you know, unless we are actually getting Rodgers or Brees. 

(i.e. The Cousins debate is more about how close he is to those guys then whether or not he is a good QB)

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Peterson is 27 and Miller is 28.  Do some of you even think b4 you post?

Not really, no. 

Besides...they want a veteran QB to lead their veteran team. They don't wanna deal with the ups and downs of a rookie. 

Cousins wants to play for a winner. If he was anything special he'd make any team a winner. With his comments he isolates himself from the rest of the team and indirectly judges/blames the team separately. Josh Allen says he'll take a loser and turn the team around. That's the correct attitude. Cousins almost sounds like a diva though a very generic vanilla bean diva. No idea when he became the latest QB sensation. I couldn't care less about Kirk Cousins.

Just now, jetrider said:

Cousins wants to play for a winner. If he was anything special he'd make any team a winner. With his comments he isolates himself from the rest of the team and indirectly judges/blames the team separately. Josh Allen says he'll take a loser and turn the team around. That's the correct attitude. Cousins almost sounds like a diva though a very generic vanilla bean diva. No idea when he became the latest QB sensation. I couldn't care less about Kirk Cousins.

To be fair, he's obviously the best FA QB on the market, and as a result, our QB-starved fans are acting accordingly. He's over-hyped, but that's par for the course. He's still a nice player and can definitely help the right team. Of course, the question is whether or not we are the right team. 

The reality is that very few guys are good enough to turn a team around by themselves, and correspondingly, very few guys actually have the attitude that you are describing (Unfortunately, those guys almost never make it to free agency). 

The Jets QB’s have literally been so pathetic for more than half of my lifetime. Probably way more than half, I’m willing to live with the Jets overpaying for a good to very good QB in his prime years. Anyone against that thought process hasn’t suffered enough I guess, or at least hasn’t had enough of way below average QB play. When’s the last time the Jets had a top 12 QB?

1 hour ago, 20andOut said:

2018 cap expected to be $175M so paying Cousinns $25M would be 1/7 of cap. A shi-load of money for sure but far from 1/3 of cap.  I think Cousins is the safest bet. He is in the top half of the league as starter over last three years. Especially when you take away the greybeards that can no longer be a part of anyones long term plans (Eli, Brees, Roth, even Rivers)  Add to that the fact that any draft pick, Darnold, Rosen, whoever is a total roll of the dice.

the other thing to factor is that the top draft pick gets a pretty hefty salary these days.  so when the cost numbers get factored between cousins and a top draft pick the differential also has meaning.  and both players will have 5 season commitments.

18 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the other thing to factor is that the top draft pick gets a pretty hefty salary these days.  so when the cost numbers get factored between cousins and a top draft pick the differential also has meaning.  and both players will have 5 season commitments.

Mitchell Trubisky, drafted #2 overall last year, signed a four year contract worth $29M total - a far cry from the $29M/year that Cousins is probably looking at. 

Archived