Trade Up Now or Wait For The Draft?

TopCop

If the Colts want to trade up now....you absolutely 1 billion percent do it.

The loss of Cousins and the signing of McCown and Teddy both on cheap 1 year contracts means that Jets are looking for, and HAVE to get one of the top 4 guys.

If they don't get one of those top 4 guys - Macc and Bowles are doomed.  They would have essentially wasted 2, possibly 3 years, last year, this coming year and if you end up drafting a 1st round rookie next year...you waste 2019 as that rookie's "red shirt" year.

If the Colts are willing to make a deal now....you do it.  You're guaranteed at least one of those four and when you draft whoever it is, you simply say that he was always the guy you wanted.

4 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I have no faith the Mac can pull off a trade up on the fly during the draft so I would rather he make a move now, even if it's more of a gamble before players are off the board.

Pretty sure the Eagles moved up to #2 and were happy to sit there an wait for the 2nd pick.  

Macc is such a pussy that I could totally see the Jets moving up to #4 and taking whichever QB is left.   

IMO, the only QB worth trading up for is Darnold and I think the Browns want him too much.  I see it shaking out like this:

1.  Browns: Darnold

2. Giants: Barkley

3. Colts: Chubb 

4. Buffalo (via Trade) Allen

5. Denver:  Mayfield

6. Jets:  Rosen

I dont want Rosen and I think it will be a big mistake to pick him, but whatcha gonna do

2nd round hopefully get a TE and OG.

4 hours ago, TopCop said:

Buffalo just traded up to 12, so it can be done

To 12.....You do NOT trade up right now.  To get someone to move now you have to BLOW them away with a deal, which you do not want to have to do. 

Let Buffalo go up and blow a wad to offer INDY so they can be guaranteed a QB.  If they do it early, then you call Cleveland and make a deal that won't cost as much. 

One thing to note I think;  if Cleveland goes QB at 1, one of Indy or NY Giants will NOT give up their pick so they can take Barkley

5 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

I'm in minority but against trading up. Any package to do so will cost next yrs #1 and that is going to be a premium and extremely valuable resource. We must hold onto that at all costs.

Also, I think standing pat and waiting at #6 is a great strategy. I predict some combo of Mayfield, Allen, and Barkley will be sitting there. Either of those 3 would be considered a great get. 

I’m with ya. This team definately needs more youth. We can’t throw away very valuable draft picks for a qb who “ may be good. “ Jets had their chance to guarentee 2nd pick in the draft for no cost. They decided playing josh McCown and getting to 5 wins was more important. 

There's no way the Jets should trade up now because they have no idea who's going to be available at the slot they'd move up to.

If on Draft Night, a player at 3 is someone they desperately want, then move up.  If they move up now, they can get burned by the players they seek going 1 or 2.

IMO, the only QB worth trading up for is Darnold and I think the Browns want him too much.  I see it shaking out like this:
1.  Browns: Darnold
2. Giants: Barkley
3. Colts: Chubb 
4. Buffalo (via Trade) Allen
5. Denver:  Mayfield
6. Jets:  Rosen

I dont want Rosen and I think it will be a big mistake to pick him, but whatcha gonna do
2nd round hopefully get a TE and OG.

I pretty much agree, but colts could get chubb at 6 if traded with us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, TopCop said:

Right now that's a tough call as I see it.  If the Jets are locked in on a particular QB, then I say try and trade up now with the Colts.  Problem with waiting until the draft is, it will probably cost more picks as you will bidding against other teams.  Then there's the other side of it, if you wait to see how the draft unfolds, the QB you want may slide to you at 6, but is that a risk the Jets should take especially with all the teams looking to move up for a QB.  My take is go all in now and move up to at least 3 and take one of Rosen or Mayfield.  Thoughts

The value chart says to trade up from 6 to 3 would cost the Jets 1st, 2nd, and 4th. I think this would be a good trade. It guarantees Mac gets the QB he covets the most and the price IMO is not too steep. I don't think Mac should wait. If he does, he may run into a bidding war with other teams. Because I believe Barkley goes 1 or 2, sitting at 3 insures the Jets will probably still have Rosen, Allen, and Mayfield on the board.

12 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

I'm in minority but against trading up. Any package to do so will cost next yrs #1 and that is going to be a premium and extremely valuable resource. We must hold onto that at all costs.

Also, I think standing pat and waiting at #6 is a great strategy. I predict some combo of Mayfield, Allen, and Barkley will be sitting there. Either of those 3 would be considered a great get. 

There is exactly 0 chance Barkley makes it to 6.  He's the best player in the draft, and none of the top 5 teams are so set at RB that they pass on him for another non-QB.  The Browns will take him at 4 if they don't take him at 1 or trade out.  If the first 4 picks are all QB, Denver will snap him up. 

6 hours ago, SMC said:

There's no way the Jets should trade up now because they have no idea who's going to be available at the slot they'd move up to.

If on Draft Night, a player at 3 is someone they desperately want, then move up.  If they move up now, they can get burned by the players they seek going 1 or 2.

It really depends on whether they are locked in on one particular guy or have3 or 4 similarly ranked at the top of their board.

For example, if they have Darnold-Mayfield-Rosen ranked 1-2-3, and would make the trade to 3 for Rosen if Darnold and Mayfield went 1-2, then there's no reason not to make the trade now; it guarantees them a player they'd be happy to trade up for, and gives them a shot at a major win (if, say, Barkley goes one or two, they traded up to 3 before the rest of the league knew Darnold/Mayfield would be available there, so they will have gotten a better deal).  But if they'd only be happy with dealing up to 3 if one of their top 2 is there, then they have to wait

Archived