Relating Current QB Prospects to Past Jets QB's (For Fun)

Warfish

1. Sam Darnold - Mark Sanchez

Sunshine kid from USC.  Good arm, good looking, BMOC, laid back surfer kid from a school that routinely provides bust QB's to the Pro Level.  Sanchez too had most of the measurables and potential needed to thrive at the pro level.  Sanchez too had some concerns with INT's.  It's a weak link, because Darnold is by all accounts a much better and more ready prospect.  Hopefully with a lower chance of bust potential than Sanchez and the other last half dozen USC QB's.  Likely to be more Carson Palmer than Sanchez.

2. Josh Rosen - Chad Pennington

Rosen is considered by many to be the smartest QB in this group.  He's also the most injury prone/injury risky.  Sound like anyone you can remember?  His arm is strong enough to "make all the throws" which of course means it's just strong enough for the NFL level.  Likeable, leader, cerebral, smart dad, many of the same aspects Chad had.

3. Josh Allen - Ken O'Brien 

The big, tall kid with the bazooka arm.  Allen is more mobile than Kenny O.  Kenny O was more accurate than Allen.  Both posess powerful arms, come from smaller schools, and very well could be picked ahead of players considered by most to be better prospects.  Also, could be the Kenny O Jets pick ahead of the Marino Rosen/Mayfield pick depending on how the draft plays out.

4. Baker Mayfield - Joe Namath

Ok, lets be clear, the two players really don't have much alike in play style.  But both are flamboyant, cocky, powerful personalities, leaders who elicit loyalty in those who play with them.  Both also have off the field flamboyance and idiosyncrasies.  Of all the QB's in this group, Mayfield is the only one I could see wearing a fur coat and selling panty hose on a billboard.....or getting arrested after a night on the town boozing it up with celebrities.

5. Lamar Jackson - Brad Smith

Freely admit, it's a weak comparison too, but not totally inaccurate.  Smith came up at a time where lots of black QB's who were dynamic and athletic and could run.....and maybe weren't the greatest pocket passers.....were being shifted to other positions like WR.  Jackson has been suggested to shift to WR for these exact same reasons, he's "too athletic" for his own good, and is not the greatest pro style pocket passer in this class.  Unlike the Brad Smith era, it's likely Jackson goes in the first round (late) and will get every chance to play QB for a few years first.

6. Mason Rudolph - ???

I don't know, I'm kind of out of comparisons here.  Anyone got one?  Jeff Blake?  Richard Todd?  Browning Nagle (naaaaa!).  I'm open to suggestions.

If it isn't obvious, the post is for fun/discussion value only.  we're all well aware these prospects are not, in fact, the players we drafted previously.  But it can be fun (and occasionally enlightening) to see them through the prism of past draft (mis)adventures.  So please, save the outrage and anger for a change.  Have some fun with it.

16 minutes ago, Jetscreen said:

We could only hope and pray numbers 3 and 4 are correct. O'Brien and Namath are the two best QB's this organization has ever seen.....

Number 3 is only correct in personality, no other similarity between the 2.

Darnold=Sanchez in ball security concerns. Not saying they are equal QBs just saying Sanchez killed us with turnovers at the worst possible times, red zone, deep in our end, pick six, and ball security is looking like a concern with Darnold.

5 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

Darnold=Sanchez in ball security concerns. Not saying they are equal QBs just saying Sanchez killed us with turnovers at the worst possible times, red zone, deep in our end, pick six, and ball security is looking like a concern with Darnold.

As long as he throws TD's the turnovers are OK.  A 3 TD, 3 INT game is fine.  

Sanchez didn't throw TD's.  He was a 3-and-out machine as much as he was a turnover machine.  I don't think that will be Darnold.  

23 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

Not if you lose 28-21 with 14 points off turnovers.

That's not common.  When your QB throws 3 TD's, it's likely you'll also find points elsewhere.  Rushing TD, field goals, special teams TD, etc.  

If your QB is carrying the team to 3 TD's in a game with consistency, that's a Hall of Famer.  

5 hours ago, Pcola said:

Darnold : Boomer Esiason 

Rosen : Half KennyO’Brien/half pre-injury Pennington

Allen : Half 2008 Brett Favre/half 1992 Browning Nagle

Mayfield : half Namath/ half Richard Todd

LOL.  I have to say though if Darnold is Boomer, that's not bad.  Boomer came darn close to winning a Superbowl.

19 hours ago, 20andOut said:

I can see it now - "Buttfumble II: The Darnold Boogaloo" :D 

Archived