Just from judging last 2 plays

Jetsplayer21

Darnold will definitely be the starter. We learned we don’t need to bring joe Girardi to teach darnold how to slide, like we had to do with Sanchez. Which is HUGE because they would likely sit him just for that reason, because you don’t want your Franchise taking 1 snap until he learns how to protect himself.. 

Next play he knew he had to throw over defender to his wide open reciever, otherwise could have been a pick 6 Sanchez likely would have thrown. This kid does not look like a rookie at all..

Good decision maker....and that makes coaches trust you and want to start you.  He knows when to throw it away, even on 3rd down, and not turn a bad play into a horrible one.

I can live with the inevitable growing pains of getting tricked by savvy defenses, of occasionally misjudging the skills or speed of defenders on this level, or maybe trying to make a throw that isn't quite there yet.  That's normal stuff that all rookies go through (there's a reason Peyton Manning threw 29 INTs his rookie year).  But Darnold absolutely passes the eyeball test, never looks rattled, and has a knack for throwing to the right guy at the right time.  He's our Day 1 starter.

Agree. If he can get Kearse, Q, Pryor and Anderson going it could be a good passing attack.

Qvale is so bad.

I think the Jets will use Crowell and Powell a lot in the passing game as well

very bad night for the TEs, Herndon is kind of a dummy and Leggett is kinda klutzy, Tomlinson choked just a depressing showing

Darnold has what it takes. I look forward to a real 15 play script from bates to start a game with the full strength offense.

lots of roll outs and quick hitters

they tried to work in the play action game tonight but it fizzled.

have to remember they just finished installing the offense, now they practice a specific game plan.

Darnold gives us hope and a reason to watch.

enjoy!

Still... I’d love to see them let him throw it. I said it before... but at the half Eli had 188 pass yards and darnold 86. I’m tired of opponents having 200 pass yards at the half and the jets struggle to get to 200 in a whole game.. need an offensive minded head coach, the game is tailored to make it easier on offense. These defensive coaches coach to not make a mistake on offense

Such a shame Bowles played this silly game of well you know we won’t know who the starter is till after week 4 of the preseason, and wasted such valuable time that Darnold could have had with Robbie, and Kearse.  The disconnect between Robbie, and Sam in communication, and timing is so blatantly obvious, and will hurt this team the first quarter of the season, Honestly anyone paying attention from the start whether they would admit it, or not knew Sam was week 1 starter since May, and not getting him on the same page with the starting O from day 1 was just silly, and will cost this team 1-2 wins.

FIRE BOWLES NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

11 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Such a shame Bowles played this silly game of well you know we won’t know who the starter is till after week 4 of the preseason, and wasted such valuable time that Darnold could have had with Robbie, and Kearse.  The disconnect between Robbie, and Sam in communication, and timing is so blatantly obvious, and will hurt this team the first quarter of the season, Honestly anyone paying attention from the start whether they would admit it, or not knew Sam was week 1 starter since May, and not getting him on the same page with the starting O from day 1 was just silly, and will cost this team 1-2 wins.

Well they didn’t know in the beginning.. They even didn’t know when Sam Would sign and show up for camp. It is crucial a rookie who is hoping to start shows up 1st day.. I’m glad he only missed 2-3 practices. Anymore and he may be riding bench first 2 games.. Bowles is a moron. He is really going to make this O very conservative. Even if darnold wasn’t the qb.. He hated Morton for his air raid O. You are going to see more run calls, conservative passing.. Guarantee with Bowles  paws all over the O like he said he wanted...

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Not handing the starting QB job to a rookie out of the gate isn't worth firing a coach over.

All in all I think Bowles went about his starting rep distribution to Sam the right way. Sam started getting some of them, what, a week after his first day of camp? (a little more? a little less?) Not an unwise grace period, it probably allowed him to take some time to adjust to the pace of training camp, make his case on the field with backups and off of it in the film room, and number of other things I'm not thinking of.

Soon he went from splitting starting reps to getting the bulk of them during the visit to Washington's camp, and subsequently started the second preseason game. From there, obviously having passed every test and visually proven he's ready, he's been getting all starting reps this week leading up the Snoopy Bowl.

I don't know about you but that sounds like a reasonable timeframe for a rookie QB to earn the starting job to me. And frankly not getting EVERY starting rep in camp shouldn't hurt him or his chemistry with other Receivers all that much, not the least of which being because of the sporadic number of "starting reps" the receivers no doubt received themselves. (Was it always Robbie and Kearse with the Ones every time?) He's got the next three weeks and all of the season to form a rapport with these guys, either it'll happen with time or not at all, it's fine. 

2 hours ago, Freemanm said:

After watching this game, I’m cpnvinved now that the ideal situation is to start Darnold and have Bridge ready as a backup. Is there anyway of convincing him that backup is the best role for him?

Well he has a contract with us so this year we don't have to convince him of anything, we just tell him.

But he isn't staying here next year, he's too good. He'll be traded before all that IMO.

Archived