McCown is worth his 10 million

Pac

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Still an important moment in the Rex tenure.  That was the exact moment that Mike Pettine decided he needed to get out of there. 

Yeah sure, Pettine got butthurt cuz we spent a 7th rounder he didn’t approve of. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Yeah sure, Pettine got butthurt cuz we spent a 7th rounder he didn’t approve of. 

Its in Collision Low Crossers.  I'm not just making this up out of thin air.  And yes, that does piss off people in an organization.  Picks aren't meant to be thrown away, even 7th rounders. 

Mccown is gonna be a good coach you can tell. After all the bad luck we had at the QB position for years everything has gone great for a change. First Darnold falls in our laps even after we thought we ruined our chances of getting him, we bring back josh who not only is ok with being the backup but is really enjoying mentoring sam, oh and we turned bridgewater into a third round pick.  Much better than wasting all that money on cousins

47 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Mccown is gonna be a good coach you can tell. After all the bad luck we had at the QB position for years everything has gone great for a change. First Darnold falls in our laps even after we thought we ruined our chances of getting him, we bring back josh who not only is ok with being the backup but is really enjoying mentoring sam, oh and we turned bridgewater into a third round pick.  Much better than wasting all that money on cousins

I wouldn’t be shocked if that happened.  Sometimes bad qbs end up being good coaches look at Jim Harbaugh

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Its in Collision Low Crossers.  I'm not just making this up out of thin air.  And yes, that does piss off people in an organization.  Picks aren't meant to be thrown away, even 7th rounders. 

I’m not saying you’re making up stuff. I’ve heard it before. I’m just saying Pettine was the idiot. He spent 10 years with Rex and spending a 7th round pick (about 15 picks before UDFA) is what got to him? 

3 hours ago, j4jets said:

I’m not saying you’re making up stuff. I’ve heard it before. I’m just saying Pettine was the idiot. He spent 10 years with Rex and spending a 7th round pick (about 15 picks before UDFA) is what got to him? 

No that was just kind of the "final straw".  He already had serious questions about Rex's leadership before that.  You kind of have to give Pettine a break; Rex gave him his first opportunity in the league, so he at least respected him to a point.  

On 9/12/2018 at 9:07 AM, Sonny Werblin said:

Now, Darnold gets insight into a career's worth of experience from a guy all too anxious to share everything he has learned and help Darnold fulfill his potential. It is really a perfect situation. And next year McCown will slide into the empty QB coach position (at a substantial pay cut).

I don't know why this idea that McCown will be the QB coach next year is so prevalent here. Most likely scenario is that he's back as the backup for something in the $5-6M range for the year. As long as he still wants to play, he's more valuable as a teammate and emergency QB than as a coach. Anyone who's worked for a living knows that when a co-worker gets promoted to management, he's no longer one of the guys. He's a better coach for Darnold because he's his teammate. And he's still a decent QB, someone you could trust to enter a game or give you a couple starts. 

22 hours ago, C Mart said:

"When you have a veteran player that maybe comes in and says the same message that the coach is saying, now for whatever reason, it's grasped,'' said McCown. "Obviously it's because there's a trust in the locker room that's different from player to player."

There's really something to that. He and Darnold are connected at the hip when Darnold's not on the field in a way that Darnold could never be with his position coach. And the trust between them, because they're teammates, allows for a much more honest back and forth exchange. 

Now, $10M is still too much for that but, as has been pointed out in this thread, at the time of his signing Bowles announced that Josh was going to be his starting QB. I'd welcome him back next year at about half that and expect that to happen. 

On 9/12/2018 at 1:58 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

I thought it was awesome how as soon as Darnold threw his 1st play Interception McCown instantly went over to our coaching staff and demanded that they do not change the play calling and must stay aggressive. Wow. 

May not be a great QB but he's an excellent mentor and coach on those sidelines. The man demanded we don't change a thing and stay aggressive how can you not love that?

It was reported that after the pick six McCown was pleading with Bates to stay aggressive and not change the game plan.  He gets it

12 minutes ago, slats said:

Now, $10M is still too much for that but, as has been pointed out in this thread, at the time of his signing Bowles announced that Josh was going to be his starting QB. I'd welcome him back next year at about half that and expect that to happen. 

Exactly, he signed when we didnt have a QB on the roster and was paid what he should be paid as a starting QB, not as a backup mentor.  He was paid 6mil a year ago and played well

He was the 17th ranked QB a year ago and is paid the 22nd highest salary at QB.  Almost 8 mil behind the 21st highest paid.  Its what QBs get. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

He was paid what he should be paid as a starting QB, not as a backup mentor.  He was paid 6mil a year ago and played well

He was the 17th ranked QB a year ago and is paid the 22nd highest salary at QB.  Almost 8 mil behind the 21st highest paid.  Its what QBs get. 

Did you just quote me saying he was signed to be the starter and then correct me by saying he was signed to be the starter? 

Thanks. 

30 minutes ago, slats said:

Did you just quote me saying he was signed to be the starter and then correct me by saying he was signed to be the starter? 

Thanks. 

Who pissed in your lunch? 

Get shlt for disgreeing with some, get grief for agreeing with others.  Strange take, i'll ne sure to not agree with you.  Even if I add more to what you said.  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Who pissed in your lunch? 

Get shlt for disgreeing with some, get grief for agreeing with others.  Strange take, i'll ne sure to not agree with you.  Even if I add more to what you said.  

Lol, whatever Dude. 

I quoted your original post, where you misread what I wrote and then proceeded to correct me, then you went back and edited it to make it look like you were agreeing with me. Which is actually funnier, so thanks again. :) 

3 hours ago, slats said:

Lol, whatever Dude. 

I quoted your original post, where you misread what I wrote and then proceeded to correct me, then you went back and edited it to make it look like you were agreeing with me. Which is actually funnier, so thanks again. :) 

I didnt correct anyone, I agreed with you and added to what you said. 

Didnt know agreeing was an offense, too confusing around here, I need a list of menstrual cycles LOL

Actually since youre now also accusing me of going back and editing the post to look like I was agreeing with you, forget all of it.  You have issues, I edited nothing.  Its on you that you couldnt read the first time, nothing was changed. 

Pick on someone else

On 9/12/2018 at 1:58 AM, Defense Wins Championships said:

I thought it was awesome how as soon as Darnold threw his 1st play Interception McCown instantly went over to our coaching staff and demanded that they do not change the play calling and must stay aggressive. Wow. 

May not be a great QB but he's an excellent mentor and coach on those sidelines. The man demanded we don't change a thing and stay aggressive how can you not love that?

Well yeah, unless it didn't work. LOL

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I didnt correct anyone, I agreed with you and added to what you said. 

Didnt know agreeing was an offense, too confusing around here, I need a list of menstrual cycles LOL

Actually since youre now also accusing me of going back and editing the post to look like I was agreeing with you, forget all of it.  You have issues, I edited nothing.  Its on you that you couldnt read the first time, nothing was changed. 

Pick on someone else

I don't care, except that you're out of your mind. Anyone who wants to look, including you, can see that I quoted what you originally wrote. The post I quoted and your post above it doesn't match because you edited it after I posted. Plain and simple. Pretty sure if originally you had opened your post with "exactly," -before editing it- I wouldn't have thought you were contradicting me while actually agreeing with me. I just would've recognized that you were agreeing with me, and then this whole conversation wouldn't've taken place - which I can promise you would've been my preference. 

I was just joking with you because you originally misread my post. That was it, a joke. And now you're pretending you didn't edit your post in some weird effort to retain internet face? 

Pick on someone else? How thin is that skin? 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I don't care, except that you're out of your mind. Anyone who wants to look, including you, can see that I quoted what you originally wrote. The post I quoted and your post above it doesn't match because you edited it after I posted. Plain and simple. Pretty sure if originally you had opened your post with "exactly," -before editing it- I wouldn't have thought you were contradicting me while actually agreeing with me. I just would've recognized that you were agreeing with me, and then this whole conversation wouldn't've taken place - which I can promise you would've been my preference. 

I was just joking with you because you originally misread my post. That was it, a joke. And now you're pretending you didn't edit your post in some weird effort to retain internet face? 

Pick on someone else? How thin is that skin? 

I added the word exactly before agreeing with you and that generated all of this total nonsense?  LOL, yeah, its me trying to save face.  The post the theme is the same.  No one was correcting anyone, editing to clarify isnt editing to save face.  Not getting the issue, by fine, last time I agree with you, no great shake.

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I added the word exactly before agreeing with you and that generated all of this total nonsense?  LOL, yeah, its me trying to save face.  The post the theme is the same.  No one was correcting anyone, editing to clarify isnt editing to save face.  Not getting the issue, by fine, last time I agree with you, no great shake.

So, just to be clear, you're now admitting that you edited your post? 

Again, I was just joking around. I meant nothing by it. You're a fragile, thin-skinned mess. 

15 hours ago, slats said:

So, just to be clear, you're now admitting that you edited your post? 

Again, I was just joking around. I meant nothing by it. You're a fragile, thin-skinned mess. 

So to be clear this is ridiculous and I added a word right at the beginning of the post for clarity not to pacify your fear that someone was being overly critical of your post.  Seems to get an over the top reaction.  Take it for what it was and move on.  You have an issue with me over this and I dont care, its not worth it.  Its a simple post on the internet without one argumentative word in it that youve made into so much more than it was.  You started thise whole run of bullshlt over a post that you totally misinterpreted.  You took a post that agrees with something you wrote and you think I'm the fragile and thin skinned one?  LOL thats pretty funny.  Done

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So to be clear this is ridiculous and I added a word right at the beginning of the post for clarity not to pacify your fear that someone was being overly critical of your post.  Seems to get an over the top reaction.  Take it for what it was and move on.  You have an issue with me over this and I dont care, its not worth it.  Its a simple post on the internet without one argumentative word in it that youve made into so much more than it was.  You started thise whole run of bullshlt over a post that you totally misinterpreted.  You took a post that agrees with something you wrote and you think I'm the fragile and thin skinned one?  LOL thats pretty funny.  Done

Are you done, though? I feel like you're not quite done. 

Archived