Favorite Book(s)

AFJF

Another popular off-season topic

Favorite book or best book you've read since this same thread last off-season

For me it's Pegasus Bridge about the British paras taking Pegasus Bridge six hours before the troops stormed the beach at Normandy. Great story that would make a good movie IMO.

To this day the first home (which was also used as a cafe) in France that was liberated is still in place and surviving members of the British Airborne meet there on the anniversary of D-Day at 1216 am, when the Paras landed.

Not sure I have a favorite book but just finished the "Basket Ball Diaries" by Jim Carrol.

Like most books , head and shoulders better than the movie and is a actual true version of Jim Carrol's early life.

Was suprised to read he played in many of the same gyms/playground courts as I did growing up in NYC.

He also was a top NYC High School Basket Ball player before drugs took over.

The book I've been recommending is close to my heart. The book is entitled...Why Didn't You Get Me Out?

Authored by Frank Anton, who served in the same unit as myself in Nam. Frank was held captive for over 5 years in various prison camps in South Vietnam before being transferred to the "Hanoi Hilton" in North Vietnam.

I'll be seeing Frank in San Antonio the latter part of April for our Army reunion...a true American hero.

The book I've been recommending is close to my heart. The book is entitled...Why Didn't You Get Me Out?

Authored by Frank Anton, who served in the same unit as myself in Nam. Frank was held captive for over 5 years in various prison camps in South Vietnam before being transferred to the "Hanoi Hilton" in North Vietnam.

I'll be seeing Frank in San Antonio the latter part of April for our Army reunion...a true American hero.

i recently read "flyboys" - pretty good book about a lesser known aspect of WWII. it's amazing how much of a role luck played in the shaping of american history.

i recently read "flyboys" - pretty good book about a lesser known aspect of WWII. it's amazing how much of a role luck played in the shaping of american history.

Like the saying goes, "lucky is being prepared when an opportunity presents itself"

In a situation such as war, there is so much chaos and disorder, you can't count on anything to go as planned. You have to do what you're supposed to as best you can and when an opportunity comes along, sieze it. There are probably millions of stories of one side of a conflict getting "lucky" but what they do with it is what defines them.

I think what interests me most about WWII is the bad luck the allies had but were able to overcome.

Not sure I have a favorite book but just finished the "Basket Ball Diaries" by Jim Carrol.

Like most books , head and shoulders better than the movie and is a actual true version of Jim Carrol's early life.

Was suprised to read he played in many of the same gyms/playground courts as I did growing up in NYC.

He also was a top NYC High School Basket Ball player before drugs took over.

That's a great book. I read it over 20 years ago. I was a big fan of his back then.

I found an mp3 of "People Who Died" back before Napster went away. I'll have to see if I can find the "Catholic Boy" album on CD.

What are these "books" you speak of? I think about the only two books I have read since high school are The Lord of the Rings and Patriot Reign. Both excellent books.

Patriot Reign is out of date -how did you find it!

Another popular off-season topic

Favorite book or best book you've read since this same thread last off-season

So many books to sort through, I'll give a few of my favorites since I wasn't on JN last off-season.

Atlas Shrugged (or The Fountainhead) by Ayn Rand. I don't totally buy into her philosophy, but they're both great reads and make you think.

Centennial, The Source, or Hawaii, by James Michener. Excellent, if wordy examples of historical fiction.

Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy. Excellent read, I must have read this 5 or 6 times.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich, by William L. Shirer. The definitive work on the horror that was Nazi Germany.

Amazin - the oral history of the New York Mets, by Peter Golenbock. A must read for any Mets fan.

The Alex Cross series of mystery novels by James Patterson. Great suspense, and interesting endings.

Enjoy!

The Keepers of Truth by Michael Collins.

It's about the death of a fictitious, once-great American industrial city, (reminiscent of Detroit if you ask me (No offense GOB and others)), and what people do in order to survive the drudgery and boredom that go along with it.

Oh yeah, there's the murder investigation part too, but it's more filler than anything else. It's a real good "read-between-the-lines" type of book.

Like the saying goes, "lucky is being prepared when an opportunity presents itself"

In a situation such as war, there is so much chaos and disorder, you can't count on anything to go as planned. You have to do what you're supposed to as best you can and when an opportunity comes along, sieze it. There are probably millions of stories of one side of a conflict getting "lucky" but what they do with it is what defines them.

I think what interests me most about WWII is the bad luck the allies had but were able to overcome.

i was actually talking about george bush I. he was one of a few planes shot down over chichi gima. for whatever reason he swam out towards the ocean and was lucky that a sub was in the area to pick him up. others in the sqaudron swam towards sore and ended up eaten, yes EATEN by the japanese on the island.

that is 2 american presidents that wouldn't have happened had gw I been killed and eaten as well.

Archived