50 Years Ago Today

JetsFanatic

I used to love it and respect it but now I can't stand thinking about it. It's time for us to get there again, I'm done with reminiscing. 

No more celebrations, no more reunions at the stadium, I don't want to hear about Super Bowl III anymore. 

SAR I

2 hours ago, docdhc said:

I was `11 and it was the start of a magical year. Mets in the fall, than the Knicks after that.  Not too many championships since but that was sweet.  Made me the fan I am today, for better or worse!

At least you got to see it.  I’m a Jets Mets rangers and Knicks fan.  The only one I actually experienced was the Rangers in 94. The Mets I was only 3.  Yes it has been very tough since Namath but the one glimmer of hope is that we finally have a young franchise QB

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I used to love it and respect it but now I can't stand thinking about it. It's time for us to get there again, I'm done with reminiscing. 

No more celebrations, no more reunions at the stadium, I don't want to hear about Super Bowl III anymore. 

SAR I

SAR I welcome back and we got nothing else until we win it again. 

11 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

SAR I welcome back and we got nothing else until we win it again. 

Thanks JW. 

It's time to write a new story.  The Rangers went 54 years without a Stanley Cup. It's unfathomable that the Jets are a few years away from that dubious distinction. 

Sam Gase is going to get it done. No more Broadway Joe talk. 

SAR I

37 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Sam Gase will get it done, but what Joe Namath did will never be forgotten. 

Oh I definitely agree, it does not get forgotten however we just don’t need to celebrate it or talk about it anymore.

If you think about the fact that we’ve all known today was the anniversary since at least this morning and this thread was created this afternoon and has barely any traction, speaks volumes. 

Its not cool anymore.  It’s just sad  

SAR I

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Oh I definitely agree, it does not get forgotten however we just don’t need to celebrate it or talk about it anymore.

If you think about the fact that we’ve all known today was the anniversary since at least this morning and this thread was created this afternoon and has barely any traction, speaks volumes. 

Its not cool anymore.  It’s just sad  

SAR I

There was a thread posted earlier in the week about the 50th anniversary..

Its NY Jets history that will never die. 

35 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Fireman Ed
Joe Beningo
Super Bowl III

Dead, dead, dead.

We're in the Sam Gase era.  Nothing but forward-thinking from here in.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Im in the same place. SB3 is Ancient History, may as well be the sacking of Rome.

We're now "celebrating" futility. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

No, History doesn't "die", but celebrating it like the Jets do is getting embarassing. We need to stop looking backwards and look to the future.

8 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Im in the same place. SB3 is Ancient History, may as well be the sacking of Rome.

We're now "celebrating" futility. 

As a long-suffering Rangers fan in the 80's I don't remember any anniversary celebrations of the 1940 team that last won the Cup, I don't remember any pregame honors, I don't remember any jersey retirements.  There was nothing.  They were treated like they didn't exist.  Because at the 50th anniversary in 1990 it was ancient history.

While 1968 may seem like only yesterday to some of you, it's a long, long time ago.  It's time to let it go.  It's been played to death.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

I hope the Jets go on a NE like run over Darnold’s career, but Super Bowl III will always be one of the all time great games that deserves to be remembered, respected, and revered. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Fireman Ed
Joe Beningo
Super Bowl III

Dead, dead, dead.

We're in the Sam Gase era.  Nothing but forward-thinking from here in.

SAR I

Regardless of how many more Super Bowl victories we get the first one will never be forgotten. 

Sorry SAR I not happening. 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

I hope the Jets go on a NE like run over Darnold’s career, but Super Bowl III will always be one of the all time great games that deserves to be remembered, respected, and revered. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

I've got a closet full of Super Bowl III memorabilia that I bought in the early days of eBay circa 1999.  Super Bowl III program, Super Bowl III ticket stub, Super Bowl III pennant, Super Bowl III ashtray, Super Bowl III media guide, Super Bowl III Tudor Electric Football, AFL Championship Game Ticket (unused, very rare), and even an AFL Championship Game Clock given to VIP's at Shea.  So I feel it.  At least, I did years ago.

It will never be forgotten, and it was an epic moment for the AFL and all that.  But the Jets play this thing very hard, way too hard, and for way too long.  Used to be I would see Namath and feel pride.  Now he just makes me sad, I see him and I hear "19-40! 19-40! 19-40!" in my head all over again and it makes me ill.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Regardless of how many more Super Bowl victories we get the first one will never be forgotten. 

Sorry SAR I not happening. 

I didn't say "forget".  I said "stop celebrating".  Big difference.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I've got a closet full of Super Bowl III memorabilia that I bought in the early days of eBay circa 1999.  Super Bowl III program, Super Bowl III ticket stub, Super Bowl III pennant, Super Bowl III ashtray, Super Bowl III media guide, Super Bowl III Tudor Electric Football, AFL Championship Game Ticket (unused, very rare), and even an AFL Championship Game Clock given to VIP's at Shea.  So I feel it.  At least, I did years ago.

It will never be forgotten, and it was an epic moment for the AFL and all that.  But the Jets play this thing very hard, way too hard, and for way too long.  Used to be I would see Namath and feel pride.  Now he just makes me sad, I see him and I hear "19-40! 19-40! 19-40!" in my head all over again and it makes me ill.

SAR I

I’m not a hockey fan but I don’t have to be to know that the Rangers’ 1940 Stanley Cup win was not remotely as consequential as the upstart, underdog, AFL N.Y. Jets victory in SB III. That was a (if not the) pivotal game in pro football history. Night and day. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Id much rather celebrate Super Bowl 3 than some JAG getting inducted into the Ring of Honor.  

I agree.  I think this team needs to stop celebrating ancient history and mediocrity and focus entirely on the future.

We have hired a great head coach for this team.  He's going to restore order, he's going to be innovative, and we are going to win a lot of football games.  Let's celebrate that.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I agree.  I think this team needs to stop celebrating ancient history and mediocrity and focus entirely on the future.

We have hired a great head coach for this team.  He's going to restore order, he's going to be innovative, and we are going to win a lot of football games.  Let's celebrate that.

SAR I

Agree SAR I absolutely!!!!!!!

Just now, slats said:

I’m not a hockey fan but I don’t have to be to know that the Rangers’ 1940 Stanley Cup win was not remotely as consequential as the upstart, underdog, AFL N.Y. Jets victory in SB III. That was a (if not the) pivotal game in pro football history. Night and day. 

Yes, of course.  That's what it meant to the league, but to the Jets, its our last championship, same situation as a Ranger fan faced in 1990, and trust me, we weren't going to pregame celebrations and getting fan towels celebrating a World War II era team in 1990.  The Yankees didn't have 1939 World Series celebration either. 

Sounds silly, right?  Sounds like a bad comparison.  But it's the same amount of time.  50 years.  The Jets have kept it feeling fresh, to their credit, but only Jets fans view it that way.  And some of us are having a reverse reaction, especially in the middle of the Patriots 9 consecutive AFC Championship Game appearances and the Giants getting two Lombardi's in recent memory, it's something to be ashamed of.

SAR I

Archived