Mel Stottlemeyer: Dead at 77

Sarge4Tide

Damn RIP 

1. "If I never get to come to another Oldtimers Day, I will take these memories and I’ll start another baseball club, coaching up there, whenever they need me.” — Mel Stottlemyre at Yankee Stadium, 2015

Dw44zu7WsAAHsmb.jpg
    0 replies10 retweets33 likes

Retweet

1zh5qklhotxlxonjpubp_bigger.png

Good pitcher. Seemed like a really good guy. Saw him pitch many games in the ole Yankee Stadium in the 60’s. Of course I was in the bleachers thru Con Edison so they all looked looked like dots. It was my first intro to baseball games. RIP Stott.

RIP to a good pitcher and a great pitching coach

Funny that with all that the first thing that comes to mind is the inside the park grand slam he hit in '65 off Monbouquette over Gosger's head all the way to the monuments

As a Yankee, he never got a championship as he came late in '64 (lost the WS) and endured a decade of (blissful to some) Yankee futility

Got a ring in '86 though  :)

3 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

RIP to a good pitcher and a great pitching coach

Funny that with all that the first thing that comes to mind is the inside the park grand slam he hit in '65 off Monbouquette over Gosger's head all the way to the monuments

As a Yankee, he never got a championship as he came late in '64 (lost the WS) and endured a decade of (blissful to some) Yankee futility

Got a ring in '86 though  :)

That ‘86 pitching staff was stuff made of legends and Stott was instrumental in keeping glued together. Took a special sort of hunan being to work and get the best of those guys. Without him, Mets would have been an ordinary team. 

20 hours ago, BigO said:

Good pitcher. Seemed like a really good guy. Saw him pitch many games in the ole Yankee Stadium in the 60’s. Of course I was in the bleachers thru Con Edison so they all looked looked like dots. It was my first intro to baseball games. RIP Stott.

I go back to the early 70-71 era and remember Mel, Fritz Peterson, Stan Bahnsen, as our pitching staff.

RIP to a true Yankee.

Archived