GASE ON FRANCESA

SAR I

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dcat said:

As I said before, fans of visirring teamms are always welcome here.

That's great to know, though it was pretty evident when I signed up to Max's site given that this forum is "Jets and NFL talk". Though you seem to keep reminding me of that, so maybe you are trying to say something else. 

Be clear if you're not, I dont want to assume anything here. But if what you're doing is welcoming me, than I thank you...though I've been here since 2008. :-)

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'm in Northern Germany, but I've been through Karlsruhe on my way to the Black Forest for vacation last October. Germany is a great country from my experience. I've been to Zurich as well, but only for a short while. One thing I noticed is how extremely clean that city is, but that was like 10 years ago when I visited. I'd like to see more of Switzerland. I've just been making my way around all of the countries.

Switzerland is spotless and expensive. My buddy moved there and the neighbors were nice but on day 1 they gave him a lesson on the 4 types of garbage cans and what exactly goes where and when to dump. Then, they watched him. Weird. I couldnt eat a small snack/lunch less than $25 anywhere in Zurich. No dollar menus lol

58 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Good plan. If you haven’t already get down to Berchtesgaden and the Schwarzee area, beautiful and historic. Also Switzerland is a great country. My brother in law lives in Geneva so I spend more time there than Zurich but you are right, cleanest country in the world and the trains are incredible, absolutely to the second on time.

I was mostly based in the Valais Canton in the Rhône valley so travel around there if you can. Grindelwald and the Eiger also a must see. Also get down to the Ticino area, absolutely stunning lakes and mountains on the border with Northern Italy. Come to think of it just do the whole of Italy if you can. Rome is THE number 1 city in Europe for me. I do tennis there every May and it’s the best time to be in the city

My brother lived in Hamburg and Hannover while he was in the military so that’s probably up nearer you.

If you ever need any Euro recommendations don’t hesitate to ask.

I'll definitely be going back for sure. I was in Sweden for the New Year and will be going to Barcelona, Madrid and Mallorca in April/May. I was in Rome last October for a couple weeks and got a chance to visit Naples and Pompeii during the trip. It was unexpectedly hot for it to be October, but I had a great time nonetheless. I realized that all of the public water pumps/faucets is actually spring water in Rome. All you need is a bottle to carry and you can get Spring water free, right on the street corner. I thought that was pretty cool. Of course did alot of sightseeing and went to the Vatican. The Sistine Chapel I really wasn't impressed with, probably because I was incredibly impressed with the long hallway of art that you have to walk through before getting to the Chapel. Also, when I got there they were adamant about no one taking pictures or touching anything. 

My current trips have simply been vacations given that Im still new to Europe. However next year I will start making trips to African countries as well as Russia since Im so close in comparison to living back in NY. Alot of history of my people there so it would be great to learn my history from more direct sources. In 2020 I'll be visiting Mali and Timbuktu, but eventually I want to visit some particular churches and Museums in Russia given that alot of their old artwork wasn't impacted by the Renaissance.

26 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Switzerland is spotless and expensive. My buddy moved there and the neighbors were nice but on day 1 they gave him a lesson on the 4 types of garbage cans and what exactly goes where and when to dump. Then, they watched him. Weird. I couldnt eat a small snack/lunch less than $25 anywhere in Zurich. No dollar menus lol

That's similar to Germany as well. Not as expensive though. However they have different garbage disposals for everything. It took my like 6 months to get it right when I moved here because if it's incorrect the garbage men will not pick up the garbage and you have to dig in and separate it. 

In Germany we have regular garbage, sort of like miscellaneous items, you have "bio" which is food or other organics like plants. You have plastics and paper. So I have 4 different types of garbage that I need to separate, and that doesnt count Glass, which you either have to take your glass bottles back to the supermarket in order to receive money for them or random glass they have these metal boxes placed around my town where you drive and drop off that glass. 

It is very tedious, but it keeps things clean and in order. Germans are pretty meticulous when it comes to many things, such as that for example. There is literally a place for everything, and if you misplace something you will hear about it lol. 

The most expensive country I've been to was Iceland. Two years ago I visited Reykjavik, Iceland to go to the Blue Lagoon. Let me begin by saying that the Blue Lagoon was one of the best relaxation experiences I've had. But man, when I say expensive. My wife and I would order food out and it would come up to about 50 Euros, and it was just fast food for the two of us. Everything was expensive out there to the point of ridiculousness. 

The Blue Lagoon was great though, I got to say that again. I went in the winter time, so to be outside in that hot Spring water but with snow all around you was pretty amazing. If anyone gets the opportunity to go. Highly recommended. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I freaking love @Jetsfan80 because I know there's at least 1 person who reads most/all of my endless babbling without a criticism in return.

Soulmates 4eva :) 

I read them!  In fact I print them out and use them when I coach kids and adults for Reading Comprehension training under severe timing for standardized exams (i.e. LSAT, GMAT, ACT).   Perfect length and level of complexity.  No... really! 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'll definitely be going back for sure. I was in Sweden for the New Year and will be going to Barcelona, Madrid and Mallorca in April/May. I was in Rome last October for a couple weeks and got a chance to visit Naples and Pompeii during the trip. It was unexpectedly hot for it to be October, but I had a great time nonetheless. I realized that all of the public water pumps/faucets is actually spring water in Rome. All you need is a bottle to carry and you can get Spring water free, right on the street corner. I thought that was pretty cool. Of course did alot of sightseeing and went to the Vatican. The Sistine Chapel I really wasn't impressed with, probably because I was incredibly impressed with the long hallway of art that you have to walk through before getting to the Chapel. Also, when I got there they were adamant about no one taking pictures or touching anything. 

My current trips have simply been vacations given that Im still new to Europe. However next year I will start making trips to African countries as well as Russia since Im so close in comparison to living back in NY. Alot of history of my people there so it would be great to learn my history from more direct sources. In 2020 I'll be visiting Mali and Timbuktu, but eventually I want to visit some particular churches and Museums in Russia given that alot of their old artwork wasn't impacted by the Renaissance.

Well it sounds like you are doing a great job of maximising your European experience. Sweden for new year is pretty radical. You like it expensive huh? I was in Norway 2 years ago. Great place but muchos expensive.

My advice would be spend the next “Hogmanay” in Scotland (my country) either do the celebrations in Edinburgh which is basically a huge party, one of the biggest and best in the world. Or go up and rent a cottage in the Highlands and do the local thing.  It’s a big deal in Scotland and a great experience.

i know what you mean about the Sistine Chapel. I thought the long corridor was actually it to begin with because it was insanely ornate from a distance. That whole place is mind-boggling, St Peters basilica is half decent as well!

Russia is very underrated, people have a pre-conception about it but Russian people, although stern-looking, just like the stereotype, are extremely friendly Lots of incredible history there and the girls....oh Lordy!

Have a great time with travels and if you are ever in London for any length of time let me know. It might be a great year to go if we get a London game against theJags

3 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Well it sounds like you are doing a great job of maximising your European experience. Sweden for new year is pretty radical. You like it expensive huh? I was in Norway 2 years ago. Great place but muchos expensive.

My advice would be spend the next “Hogmanay” in Scotland (my country) either do the celebrations in Edinburgh which is basically a huge party, one of the biggest and best in the world. Or go up and rent a cottage in the Highlands and do the local thing.  It’s a big deal in Scotland and a great experience.

i know what you mean about the Sistine Chapel. I thought the long corridor was actually it to begin with because it was insanely ornate from a distance. That whole place is mind-boggling, St Peters basilica is half decent as well!

Russia is very underrated, people have a pre-conception about it but Russian people, although stern-looking, just like the stereotype, are extremely friendly Lots of incredible history there and the girls....oh Lordy!

Have a great time with travels and if you are ever in London for any length of time let me know. It might be a great year to go if we get a London game against theJags

I really didnt do it big in Sweden. I have friends from the town where I live that study there for their nursing degrees so it was an opportunity to visit them while also landing in a new country. 

My wife, daughter and I, along with another couple we know rented an airbnb out there and just kicked it for a week. We did sight seeing and got in some restaurants, but mostly just enjoyed the time with friends. 

One of the most important things for me when visiting different places is enjoying their food. Ironically enough, I did not have any swedish meatballs! We literally forgot to find a place and eat some. I always love the swedish meatballs when my wife pulls me out to Ikea to shop, meanwhile we make it to the actual country and forget lol.

I was in London for the first time back in 2015 for a friend's wedding. I really enjoyed London except for the airbnb we were in. So I know next time that I go to London just to stay at a Hotel. That year that I was there I went around late September if Im correct and one of the weekends they had an NFL game there so I seen plenty folks with their NFL Jerseys on. I thought about going back to London for a few days just  to catch a game there. London is less than an hour away from Düsseldorf airport where I would fly out. If I make a plan to do so Ill def let you know. 

I do like renting cottages. When I visited the Black Forest last year we stayed on this large farm. At night it was always the best, the sky just filled with stars. 

I also believe that Russia is underrated. Since I live here many people I know take trips or vacations that are very different than what it is in the States. Where folks in the States may go to Jamaica, Florida or Hawaii for example. Alot of Germans go to Russia, Turkey, Egypt etc. I hear that Russia is really nice. There's also Russian communities where I live as well so I get to interact with them directly, and I get to learn about Russia from Russians. Its different in that way. Beyond the "politics and shenanigans" for example. And it works both ways really. Folks get to know me and get an idea of my people as well.

19 hours ago, Dcat said:

I read them!  In fact I print them out and use them when I coach kids and adults for Reading Comprehension training under severe timing for standardized exams (i.e. LSAT, GMAT, ACT).   Perfect length and level of complexity.  No... really! 

For reading one of my posts? What is that severe timing, 5 hours?

23 hours ago, TeddEY said:

In this case, it seems like the Jets were actively soliciting a "half-team HC."  You want to ignore what McCarthy's camp says because it's "spin," fine.  But, Rhule, immediately came out and spoke about "arranged marriages."  And, later reports suggest that the Jets were targeting Gregg Williams at DC all along.  Seems plausible that the Jets were kind of in this for two HC's.  Rhule and possibly McCarthy balked at that.

I don't know how Gase will work out, but it seems, once again, that the process was ridiculous.  That, of course, started with firing the ineffective HC but keeping the ineffective GM.

Agree with all of this. Gase/Williams might be good and might be bad, but the process is symptomatic of people with arrogance despite a lack of success. 

What this stinks of (among other things) is the glaring display of power unjustly handed to a GM who's failed here in his only previous qualification: identification of college talent (I mean outside of the top picks in round 1, which distinguishes nobody).

The plan as it seems? Maccagnan picks the DC and they interview offense-minded HCs to pair with him. I guess in his Cro-Magnon head Macc figures:

Williams is good at defense and Gase is good at offense. So let each do what they're good at and, other than Gase's nominal job title, neither will truly be the HC of the whole team. So Williams will be HC of the defense and Gase will be HC of the offense, which loosely mimics the pinnacle of success we had since I got here in 2015, with such a setup alongside massive spending. I am so smart.

Plus as a bonus, the threat of promoting Williams will keep Gase and his big mouth in line. Gregg can't challenge me because by title he's just a DC; Gase can't because I can fire him midseason and seamlessly hand the job to Gregg; unlike with Bowles who didn't hire a coordinator apt for such a sudden change. 

A HC needs to be the boss of the whole team, not just the offense (or the defense). There's a reason for dozens of expressions along the lines of having too many chefs in the kitchen. A championship team needs one head coach, not a committee -- even worse, where the 2 halves of this coaching committee are both reputedly hotheaded, stubborn, and have never directly worked together. It's rife with the opportunity and ingredients for the lower-HC to undermine the upper-HC internally when things get a little rocky.

FFS why not just come right out and name each one co-HC since that's what they clearly are for the upcoming season or two at a minimum? Gase has already admitted publicly he's not touching the defense, and that it'll fully be the domain of his DC alone.

If this design is the reason Gase ultimately emerged as the hire, it's disheartening. It seems NFL-royalty Peyton Manning dragged him across the finish line, marginally making him not their top choice overall, but rather top choice among the schmoes willing to go along with such an arranged marriage. It also fits the allegation/leak of money as at least a partial reason with McCarthy: if we're only looking for him to be HC of half the team then he shouldn't get paid $8MM/year as though he'd be HC of the entire team. Probably ditto for either Harbaugh or anyone else with similar clout (Shanahan, etc.). 

If it all pans out, then the process and methodology will be justly praised, not questioned. But until proven otherwise with a championship, this process and methodology was asinine. 

I think Gregg Williams will have good feedback on personnel.  Who do retain, sign and draft.  He seems to have a good bead on personnel.   He is the classic example of someone who is volatile and has a big mouth but is also exceedingly competent-he keeps getting jobs, just not the big jobs.   The Jets roster is such a mess though that it could take 2 years to make the defense decent.  Mac has managed to accumulate defensive personnel who fit neither a 3-4 or a 4-3.  That is an accomplishment.  

Gase' soft spot seems to be personnel.  This will be a challenge for him as he works with Mac on this.  

21 hours ago, redlichtie said:

I was just in Moscow.  Had a different experience.  Great people.  Women are ridiculous.  

Downside; Terrible food.  Like the worst in the world.  No history because each dictator destroyed the past dictators buildings and artifacts, etc.  Basically nothing is older than 50 years.  I will never go back.  

London is the coolest city on earth. 

21 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Ha! Had the same experience with my wife. We actually thought the hallway was the chapel itself at first.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I was just in Moscow.  Had a different experience.  Great people.  Women are ridiculous.  

Downside; Terrible food.  Like the worst in the world.  No history because each dictator destroyed the past dictators buildings and artifacts, etc.  Basically nothing is older than 50 years.  I will never go back.  

London is the coolest city on earth. 

Yeah I know what you mean about the food, there’s only so much Borst you can take!!. I dunno about the history thing, there’s still a bit  of it in Russia but I guess it depends where you are. 

London is pretty cool these days. So many great bars,, restaurants, museums and sport going on. I’m lucky that my work takes me to London a lot so I get to enjoy it without having to actually live theee!

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Ha! Had the same experience with my wife. We actually thought the hallway was the chapel itself at first.

Glad it wasn’t just me. I remember seeing it from a distance and thinking ‘oh my, it really is a s breathtaking as they say’...then I got closer and realised, no....it’s just a hallway?

that’s the thing with Rome, you can wander into some random church on a Via and find something that in any other city in the world would be a UNESCO world heritage site but in Rome it’s just another church with frescoes!1

Archived