GASE ON FRANCESA

SAR I

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gase on Manning's influence:  He had seen so much football, you couldn't surprise him, we could almost catch ourselves over-preparing for a situation.

Gase on player motivation:  Some guys like the mental challenge and some like it physical, it's about knowing your players and how to push their buttons.

Gase on Darnold:  First time I've had the opportunity to be around a player of this caliber this young.  We have such a long time before we get to get together in the classroom but we're going to work together on how to run the offense between now and April.   The QB has a lot of influence and we have to be flexible from April through TC to be ready to figure out things as fast as possible.

Francesa:  The benefit of having so much cap room is that you can shape the entire roster the way you want.  What's your vision?

Gase:  We have to find the right guys and the ones with the right fit who want to be here and not just following the money.  I feel good about how we are positioned for free agency as we can improve quickly and be competitive right out of the gate with a strong draft.

Francesa pushing him on his "style" of offense (wide open, big play, control, etc.) and Gase states he will do what our personnel will allow us to do.  Dictated by who we have on the roster and who we are playing.  He's not going to force the team to play a style that he wants to play, he's going to adapt and flex situationally.

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Francesa pushing him on his "style" of offense (wide open, big play, control, etc.) and Gase states he will do what our personnel will allow us to do.  Dictated by who we have on the roster and who we are playing.  He's not going to force the team to play a style that he wants to play, he's going to adapt and flex situationally.

Nice...... Not square peg, round hole.  Welcome back, Scott. 

Francesa:  Asked about the gap between first firing and starting a new HC job right away.  Asked what went wrong in Miami?

Gase:  Made the playoffs, lost the QB and got thrown off course, stayed competitive but couldn't get it done.  Last season came close but lost the last three games.

Francesa:  Did you learn anything in losing the last two years, that you didn't know?

Gase:  Yes, I learned about how to deal with injuries, a seven hour game, not having a bye week, there were a ton of things that taught me to go in a different direction.  I'm not the same guy I was three years ago.  I know what's more important now, I can now bypass things that aren't important and take the shortcuts to get where you need to be and get the result you want.

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Loving this!!  He'll probably break my heart.... but for today.... he's the man!!

Francesa:  You've done well in the AFC East.  What was your impression of the Jets in the six games you coached against them?

Gase:  It was always tough for us to play the Jets, every game was a down to the wire battle.  We always struggled to run the ball, we always scored late to get the win.  The environment last year in NJ was tough, it was very loud, somehow we converted a 3rd and 19 or that game would have been different.  The Jets were always tough and a physical out.

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

He sounds great on Francesa. Between him and Williams, I’m optimistic.

I agree.  And as I am listening, for all of you worried about him being "prickly" - he is not coming across that way.  And as anyone who has listened to a Francesa interview knows, that is hard to do for anyone!!

Francesa:  The Jets haven't won in a long time, what's your message to the fans and the team?

Gase:  The great thing about the NFL is that every year is a new year and if you put the work in and play fast, physical, and with swagger and importantly that you're the team that finishes the game in the last few minutes as almost every game in the NFL does these days.

Francesa:  What do you think about New York?

Gase:  I haven't been to New York much but I'm excited about the city and the way I can be out of the city (likes the fact that the suburbs are quiet).

[End Interview]

Francesa:  Nice wrapup, he's impressed that Gase would hire a guy like Williams who is so outspoken and independent, takes a strong HC to do that.

Archived